Costco Wholesale

Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews in Guelph, ON

the fact that staff celebrate the length of work with a wall and name badge shows the pride of employees and the corporation in employee retention. not a overtly challenging role, can leave at work and take very little home.great support for new and long time employees during COVID (and adjusting around school schedule); PPE, support in customer/member opposition, time offsupervisors and managers are generally respectful and fair, even if i dont like what is being asked - i respect them and know they are doing what is best for the team. skylights in Guelph location promote connection to the outside, reducing ecological footprint through reduced electricity costs
Pros
complementary membership, staff meal nights, supportive supervisor/managers, work-life balance possible, sunday premium pay, costco COVID thank you pay maintained, Guelph location full of natural light from skylights
Cons
grumpy lifelong cashiers, busy bodies (general workplace politics), wish more signs were approved from head office for increased clarity (particularly during COVID)
No time to slack off at work, after all it's work. Good management, plenty benefits and positive work atmosphere. It's really competitive to get a job here but you'll realize why after landing a job there (they hire the best people) and so 99.9% you find all colleagues OK to work with and even if you find that 1 colleague that's a grouch, they come around, eventually....
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
One on one customer service really helps you grow more socially. Awesome environment if your goal is to not be bored . Fare amount of time given for breaks
a productive and fun workplace which had friendly coworkers who were always ready to help, teach and promote employee well being and integration. Would recommend it to anyone
Stable and a fast growing company, helps develop personal and company growth. Hires different applicants from various walks of life and is very supportive of work life balance and is always focused on employee stability, growth and training. A company that is constantly growing offers many opportunities within the warehouse, new and existing buildings and also into head office. It supports different applicants from various lifestyle to be employed in all the different departments and provides opportunities to grow within the company. There are part time and full time positions and also have student programs foe those who are still studying so they can work during breaks and reading weeks and so forth. Great management team ....always working in collaboration with all departments and all staff.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
work weekends
Costco does not allow you to chosose the hours you are available, you MUST be available to work at all times, including weekends. This makes it a pain to schedule anything else around it because the work hours are so strange. Customers are usually nice, but when it it busy, can be extremely grumpy. Management is understanding if you are an older employee, but students get the short end of the stick.
Pros
$4 premium on sunday
Cons
Strange hours
Great staff, reliable hours.. schedule was all over the place though. Hard to plan ahead of time. No consistency in schedule. Looking for 8- 4:30pm.....
Pros
Great staff, steady pay.
Cons
Random hours/ all over the place.
demonstrating different food and products gave me comprehensive acknowledge about different products which are available at Costco. also this job really improve presentation skills and hospitality.
the pay is great for the type of work, its a bit boring though. raises/promotion are given on seniority and not work ethic. be prepared to work part-time for at least a year or two because full time positions are given based on seniority as well. Managers are great at least mine was from the Guelph branch (food court). some Of the younger kids were always making drama so that kinda sucks but not the worst
Pros
guaranteed hours, benefits, free membership
Cons
boring, drama.
Great job but definitely not a good career! provides a great chance to step up and show yourself and a very competent individual giving yourself lots of freedom that the average job does not. However on the front end managers tend to micro-manage frequently! This job is 100% dictated by who likes you and what managers you are friends with! The right person for the job will never GET the job. That being said there are some locations that I heard are great. I worked at 3 separate locations and they were all the same, but that's just my view-point.
Pros
Extremely-Friendly
Cons
bad hours always all over the place, work every weekend, holidays are expected to be worked, very little time for social life
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Costco Wholesale?
Job was fast paced and required good customer services skills. Plenty of interaction with members and fellow employees. Required good communication skills and a conscientious work ethic.
Company cares about employees. How to advance within the company is very clearly laid out. Hires internally before externally. Great company culture. Would have continued with this company if it was not for school conflicting with ability to do so.
I enjoyed working in the Costco environment because customers are usually very polite, as the employees are. Some of the management team can make the workday quite stressful, but overall it is a good place to work.
Pros
Great employees, usually 8 hour shifts
Cons
Hard to get full-time, some managers are quit rude
Staff are very friendly and helpful. Customers can feel quite entitled because they pay for a membership but Costco policy generally keeps them happy enough to avoid causing too much trouble.
I enjoyed my time at Costco but I felt like I did not receive enough training. when I did make a mistake I explained that I needed more training but never got it. I felt it was very "clicky" with the groups of people that worked there. I was very fortunate with the people that I had worked with.
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
not enough training
uploading and packing groceries, cash duties. many unusal hours of work. cleaning, tiding warehouse, very low pay, have to work weekends and evenings. hired as seasonal but hoping to get on as part time then I could gert benefits.
Pros
team work
Cons
odd hours