Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

Not what it used to be
Night Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2018
I have worked for Costco for 12 years as an hourly and manager. Lots of opportunity for someone willing to put the company ahead of their family. The job security is amazing, top benefits and wages as well. To advance you really have to tow the company line, they do not want innovators or free thinkers. The company has lost its family feel with the new CEO. A lot of the long term staff and managers are losing their dedication to the company. I can't say a ton of bad about the company it definitely has its good points just not right for someone that wants a strong family life.
Pros
Job Security and advancement
Cons
poor balance of work and home life
Decent Company
Morning Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta12 March 2018
Costco is overall a decent company to work with. However, the starting pay is not at all very good, it takes a while to get to a decent wage, get full-time work or benefits and the hours are pretty daunting if you work morning (you start at 4am).
Work is very fasted paced and depending on your position, very labour intensive. The management are all fairly friendly and they do have an open door policy.
Pros
Free membership, good management, benefits after some time
Cons
Poor starting pay, hard to advance
great place to work
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2018
Hired to restock and organize shelves in the produce area on the night shift.
Promoted to night merchandising team and proved myself as a valuable contributor to the overall organization of the produce department.
Further advanced to warehouse operations, which included moving large pallets of produce and other goods from the warehouse areas out to the shopping areas to be merchandised before opening hours.
I was able to apply my previous safety training plus acquired knowledge of mechanical lifting equipment to help ensure safe completion of tasks.
You need a good work ethic to be successful at this job.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 February 2018
Busy you have five hours to get the your Section stocked and showtime ready

With the way the run the staff and with holidays sometimes there isn't enough coverage of staff.

They want people who think for themselves, management is okay as long as you work hard.

If you are part time they will change your schedule all the time, a guaranteed 25 hrs a week but more if they need you.

The hours are great if you are an early morning person, I found it hard to maintain a work/life balance.

The Pay and Benefits are good but you need to be there sometime and put in the hours to see those rewards.
I loved working there
Food Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2018
I really enjoyed it when I was working there they're very pleasant and they accepted my disability.
I wished I worked there again and they gave me an opportunity.
fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2018
at this job I learnt that not all people are ready to be in management, and it seems like the warehouse that I was clearly had a great job at finding those people. Costco likes to say that they protect their employee ,but in all actuality they will throw you under the but so to speak in a heart beat.
Good place for young people
Electronics Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2018
It's a good place to work, good job security, pay and benefits are also good. Like with any retail, you will get 40 hours only during holidays. Any chances to move up are based on your seniority, merits and qualifications are not the main criteria. Lifting heavy products is expected. Warehouse environment.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Advancement is not by merits but by seniority.
Busy and fast-paced environment
Frontend Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2018
Given ours do not support a balanced life style, however a lot are given. Hourly salary was fair. A typical day was busy but not stressful. I have become stringer at working under a high-pressure situation. Management is really fair, as they consider your outside life schedule for schedule building. Hardest part of the job would be the heavy lifting required for loading assistance. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet and interact with new people, such as customers and employees.
Pros
Plenty of benefits
Cons
Long and inconvenient hours
Fun professional work space
night merchant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 January 2018
Was a great experience for me gave me many professional work skills and behaviour which i carry with me to every job. That is if you are a self motivating personality you get out what you put in.
Pros
If you work hard given lots of freedom
Cons
They put too much on seniority instead of who may actually be better suited for promotion.
Productive and fun to work at majority of the times.
Cashier and Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 December 2017
My typical day working at Costco was great, i learned about communication skills more and how to work as a team when it gets extremely busy at the workplace.
Good company to work with
Stocker/Cashier/Merch (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 December 2017
Costco have a opendoor policy and you can talk to anyone about anything.
Everyone in the management were very nice and helpful
Working there is fast paced
It felt that everyone in Costco was a family.
Pros
Free membership, good wage, good management, free food
Cons
Takes a while to become a fulltime
great
Inventory Auditor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 December 2017
excellent place to work. friendly co workers and management staff. good benefits and wages. paid vacation after 1 year. job security. fun place to go too. able to shop
Fun work environment
Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 November 2017
Great people to work with, great benefits. Great enviornment to work in , the friendly co-workers really helped me stay as long as i did. The reason i lwft was because of the phycial abuse from the customers
Fun and Safe work environment
Front End Assistant/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 November 2017
Working at Costco was great since it taught me to communicate better with customers and be able to manage busy workflow. The best thing about Costco is my coworkers- they were just great and made every day at work enjoyable.
productif
Front End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 November 2017
Best work place
Respect customers even if they are angry
Friendly
Busy Times Rushing
Its a family
Pros
paid 3 $ over weekend
productive, fun, multicultural workplace
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 September 2017
i loved working at costco, i have moved around many departments and i like all of them, it is a fun multicultural workplace. i have learned a lot and would love to go work there again
Pros
free membership
My view on Costco
Member Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 August 2017
Repetitive work!
Focus is on giving best member service.
Very social place to work.
Cross training in other departments gives you experience and opportunity to explore other areas to work in warehouse.
Pros
stable company, free food occassionally, high school environment
Cons
slow upward movement, repetitive work.
excellent store
Representative cashier (Former Employee) –  91 st edmonton23 August 2017
i was having a very good expeience working in costco as a cashier for 2 yrs ... people i work with was all good person to help . costco is a very good company to work ..
Great place to work, everybody helps each other and management gets there hands dirty and rolls up there sleeves to help as well
Merchandising/Stock Person (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 August 2017
Start of shift, might have to help pack grocery items, if not you check the list to find out what section your working in. Management is excellent and also helps where it's needed. Enjoyable part is when you have completed your section and the people you work with. Everybody is in it to get the job done!!!
Pros
Good benefits, profit sharing, fair wages, paid more per hour on Sundays, 2 paid weeks hoilday for P/T after 1 year, closed 9 days per year and your paid for those days, 8 paid sick days per year.
Cons
Inventory 2 times per year, somtimes short staffed, trying to remember where everything because product is move around
Great work family
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2017
The work is fast paced and some time it becomes a little chaotic but the real saving grace is how much the managers and staff care. They truly care about your well being.
Pros
Great benifits great work family
Cons
Part time is five days a week f

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2