Costco Wholesale
Happiness score is 70 out of 100

Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews in Dartmouth, NS

I have been here 6 month and love the Team, culture and enviroment. So happy i took this opportunity. I see a lot of potential for growth with Costco.
Fast paced environment good for the social butterfly type person. There is room for advancement but if working as a part time student will receive minimum wage indefinitely.
Takes forever to hear back if you got the job. Preferance is given to people they know personally. Very poor management, they have there favourites. Supervisors also have there favourites, they totally ignore you, if your not the favorite. The treat the CDS people like they don't exist.With the shifts, you have no personal life. With the shifts and you have no life beyond
The pay is fantastic and with such a big store, it’s easy to make friends. However, management places extreme expectations on you in terms of persuading/ pressuring members to sign up for more expensive cards and their credit card. They refuse to put you on cash if you don’t sell a certain number of memberships/credit cards and at my store, they even made the lowest selling people clean the bathrooms.
Great coworkers and environment Good customers Good training Management is supportive and helpful Hours are flexible, able to pick up shifts other than what is assigned
On a corporate level, Costco is fantastic. They have great policies which allow for high wages, benefits, job security and more. They also provide ample opportunity for advancement. The negatives however are that they require 100% availability. Being a retail store with bathing hours and days off I find this to be a very large downfall. This makes it very difficult to have a positive, manageable or predictable work life balance. Booking appointments, making plans in advance, having outside commitments such as colinteering or sports teams is very difficult to accomplish as your schedule is constantly changing and you aren’t aloud to have specific days and times which you are unavailable. A second negative would be the environment expectations and guidelines on a individual warehouse and department level. Though the policies and frameworks are strong. Indépendant stores and managers can create negative environments and expectations. However, with that in mind, overall Costco is an excellent institution who does very well for their employees.
Had my application in for years had 3 inter6, was suppose to hear back in 4 days to this date has not heard from anyone. They wont tske a resume in store, you ask 10 people the same question and get 10 different answers. Got 2 interviews and it's been a month and no one k ows what's going g on. Ask manager all you get is a smile & I dont know what to tell you" is his reply. Very poor communication. Gave up getting a job and gave up shopping there. Very disappointed in the Dartmouth location. Gave up going there and now take my business to Halifax location. You will NEVER get full time.
Pros
Cons
Poor communication and very disappointed
Very fast pace environment, receiving merchandise an stocking shelves, with strick deadlines. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with ,They were really laid back an friendly an easy to get along with.
Pros
good pay
Cons
wasn't full-time
Costco is a great place to work if you are still in school but is more difficult when you have a family. Its all about the company and everything else comes second.
Loved the people here, lots of fun and many outside of work activities and fundraising for charities. Miss the people! Not enough full time job openings, otherwise a fabulous place to work!
Excellent company to work for but it was only part-time, I was looking for full-time work. Staff and customers are great. Always clean and tidy. Friendly managers.
I usually working on weekends due to my classes and other activities on weekdays. I started my day at the membership counter, attended department meetings and performing all over the week to complete the targets. Best part was the customer interaction. I am now more punctual, a good listener, and excellent problem solver.
Pros
Benefits and attractive salary
Cons
located outside the city
I would engage in many different types of conversations while unpacking and repacking people's cart with their items. The management made sure you had your breaks at the right times and made sure you were always up to date with the security and health information. The hardest part of the job would have to be, standing on your feet for 8+ hours at a time and dealing with 'difficult' customers. I really enjoy the people I work with and the different stories they share.
Pros
pay is above minimum wage
Cons
hours are not flexbile
Management was great, very flexible schedule. Certain products were very fun to demo, and others were boring. Liked the job over all, but needed a bigger challenge.
I worked as a merchandiser, stocking pallets with items up to 90lbs. Was a very fast paced environment, stocked pallets with in a three minute time frame. I also helped out at the front end of the store with putting the customers stuff into the carts on average one customer every minute. Management was very good, they treated every employee equally. The Company had very good benefits, and put the customers and employees before anything, I enjoyed working with my co-workers and got along with everyone. I really liked how every sunday we got time and a half.
Pros
management, company treated employees very well
Cons
not enough hours, pay was low
I love the management they had a good sense of humor, and made working with them more fun but I didn't work with them all the time. I understand that all jobs have drama but I feel there was a lot at this location. I never really thought that we were co-workers, we didn't work together as a team. The hardest part of my job was the schedule that was never consistent and in the down season, it makes it almost impossible to work a second job to make ends meet.