Costco Wholesale
Costco Wholesale Employee Review

Understaffed location meant goals were constantly unreasonable

30 March 2020
I was at a location that only existed for a couple years, and so most likely because of loan payback which was most likely still occurring, management was trying to be austere while still presenting the location to be in pristine condition in terms of service, stock and cleanliness. This meant it was constantly understaffed, and the managers kept pushing to complete more than was physically possible in the allotted time. There is no union, and rumours exist of people being let go after the mention of it. Costco does pay a small premium over stores like Walmart or other grocery stores, which means they will constantly have new job applicants, allowing them to have whatever turnover they want at the location. I left due to the bad tradeoff of excessive stress for not much more pay, which no benefits, and authoritarian management.
2.0Job security/advancement
17 March 2021
Same role
Cashier/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) - Barrie, ON
Hands down Favourite job I’ve ever had. really wish it was easier to get hired on full time. No wonder no one wants to leave. would work there forever
23 January 2021
Same role
Morning merchandiser (Former Employee) - Grande Prairie, AB
My experience at Costco wasn’t the best. I did meet some nice people but I also met people that were not kind who had seniority and territorial and not very helpful. I’ve been injured three times within the two years I worked there. I’ve switched many departments and you have to be really strong and always fast so it was stressful. I had some good managers and some not so good managers who were unprofessional and yell at your misunderstandings. So I have mixed feelings on the place.
Pros
Benefits, guaranteed hours, paid vacation
Cons
Unfriendly work environment, lack of training
8 May 2021
Same location
Forklift Operator/Stocker (Former Employee) - Mississauga, ON
Night Merch/ForkLift Operator (531) - Costco is known for being a great place to work, what they fail to mention is how terrible it is starting out. Your are surrounded by senior staff members who make in some cases double the same amount of money you are for the same amount of work. In most cases their senior staff members feel invincible and slack off the majority of the time making it even more infuriating. This in turn creates a lot of staff turnover which forces management to hire young staff members to keep up, but because the majority of people are between 18-24 it feels like high school all over again. People only help their "friends" but then when they fall behind you will be expected to stay and help them. As for management themselves, you will either love them or hate them from my experience. Random managers showing up from other warehouses try and assert dominance gets old extremely fast. Overall, unless you plan on working here for the rest of your life, don't bother working here at all. I didn't even mention how entitled and arrogant the "members" are, and good luck trying working any weekend shift, place is slammed and always understaffed.
Pros
advancement, pay based on seniority
Cons
pay based on seniority, no incentive for hard work, understaffed, extremely busy, poor management, arrogant customers, low moral
  1. Understaffed location meant goals were constantly unreasonable