Costco Wholesale
Happiness score is 70 out of 100
Costco Wholesale Employee Review

Floor staff

22 November 2020
I worked at the North Costco it’s not the best place to work, they’re constantly changing the schedules around and always asking by you to come in early or stay late. They don’t tell you in the interview process that when they hire you you’ll be seasonal and it takes about 5-6 years to become a full-time employee if you’re lucky. I only worked there for a few months during covid because I needed the money but I won’t go back. The only good thing is that they’re generous with their breaks when working and most staff are friendly but it does feel like a very click-ie environment. They also pressure you very hard on upgrading memberships from gold to executive, if you aren’t good at sales don’t work here because they’ll cut you loose real quick if you don’t get enough numbers. Half the time when I was talking to people that English was a second language I felt like I was taking advantage of them about upgrading their membership or getting a MasterCard and one of the programs people would come and take over and talk them into it. They wouldn’t know how to say no so they just sign up, it’s very wrong. You also have to work late hours and your hours are all over the place. If you have a family don’t work here because they won’t work around your schedule, when I had to do inventory I would start at 3pm and go home at 1am. It was ridiculous, I never got to see my family, they always stick the new people on the worst shifts. DO NOT WORK AT COSTCO, horrible company.
1.0Job security/advancement
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
Long hours, low pay, bad management, bad scheduling, late nights, not guaranteed a job after contract end.
29 March 2021
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) - London, ON
If you work part time here good luck. They refuse to work with your other job hours because we all know part time isn’t enough these days, they want Costco to be your primary job. They make it super difficult to get another job and never work with you about anything when it comes to more hours or other positions. Certain people who are in management that shouldn’t be.
Pros
Great People
19 August 2020
Night Stocker (Former Employee) - London, ON
Not bad for part time job, but the pay was too low, I accepted it because i needed to work to pay my bills, i worked the Christmas season as a night stocker, even though i have a lot of skills/experience, I did not mind to work whatever to get payed, because i needed to.The work environment was good and i enjoyed it, but eventually i had to quit to a better pay opportunity.And yes, if they give me more hours and a better pay I will work at Costco again
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Low Pay
10 August 2020
Membership Assistant (Former Employee) - London, ON
They work you to the bone, saying that to "stand out" and get a permanent position, you need to prove yourself. So you say yes to everything and work many hours (while you're "cheap" to the company) in whatever position they put you in ("don't worry about sales goals, today we need you here"). At the end of your contract, they will spit you out, because you didnt sell enough memberships and because they have no openings and it's really hard to become full-time - when in reality they will need people but will just hire new seasonals.
Cons
cut-throat environment, overly competitive collegues - most of all don't even bother getting to know seasonals