Costco Wholesale
Costco Wholesale Employee Review

Fast Paced work environment with some pros and cons

14 August 2020
Overall I believe I had a positive experience at Costco. I worked as a part-time night merchandiser. I left because my hours were getting too much and I was heading into my final year of university, which meant, I did not have the necessary extra time to be working late on some weekdays and almost every weekend. My hours usually went from 6 pm-11 pm. Because I was a merchandiser, we would stock and clean everything at night after the store closed. The co-workers were all great. It is a team environment as you usually get grouped up with other people in specific areas, but very fast-paced as well, especially during the holidays. You have to be on top of everything with deadlines and making sure everything is stocked by a certain time. I did feel some managers did not care about employees at all. It is a labour job, so there was a lot of "ordering people around". There were a few managers who were very good though. Overall if you think it sounds like something you would enjoy, I would recommend 9especially as part-time). After working there for a year, I learnt that It wasn't something I wanted to do any longer and the 1-year experience was enough for me. The pay is good, especially when working on holidays, but you do get called in a lot when other employees can't make it to work, or it is a particularly busy day/night.
3.0Job security/advancement
Pros
collaberative, work freedom, co-workers
Cons
Late shifts, Repetativeness, Some Managers
17 March 2021
Same role
Cashier/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) - Barrie, ON
Hands down Favourite job I’ve ever had. really wish it was easier to get hired on full time. No wonder no one wants to leave. would work there forever
23 January 2021
Same role
Morning merchandiser (Former Employee) - Grande Prairie, AB
My experience at Costco wasn’t the best. I did meet some nice people but I also met people that were not kind who had seniority and territorial and not very helpful. I’ve been injured three times within the two years I worked there. I’ve switched many departments and you have to be really strong and always fast so it was stressful. I had some good managers and some not so good managers who were unprofessional and yell at your misunderstandings. So I have mixed feelings on the place.
Pros
Benefits, guaranteed hours, paid vacation
Cons
Unfriendly work environment, lack of training
8 May 2021
Same location
Forklift Operator/Stocker (Former Employee) - Mississauga, ON
Night Merch/ForkLift Operator (531) - Costco is known for being a great place to work, what they fail to mention is how terrible it is starting out. Your are surrounded by senior staff members who make in some cases double the same amount of money you are for the same amount of work. In most cases their senior staff members feel invincible and slack off the majority of the time making it even more infuriating. This in turn creates a lot of staff turnover which forces management to hire young staff members to keep up, but because the majority of people are between 18-24 it feels like high school all over again. People only help their "friends" but then when they fall behind you will be expected to stay and help them. As for management themselves, you will either love them or hate them from my experience. Random managers showing up from other warehouses try and assert dominance gets old extremely fast. Overall, unless you plan on working here for the rest of your life, don't bother working here at all. I didn't even mention how entitled and arrogant the "members" are, and good luck trying working any weekend shift, place is slammed and always understaffed.
Pros
advancement, pay based on seniority
Cons
pay based on seniority, no incentive for hard work, understaffed, extremely busy, poor management, arrogant customers, low moral
  1. Fast Paced work environment with some pros and cons