Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

It was okay
Cashier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 February 2018
I was a little disappointed by other employees at my level and not my managers or supervisor, they were really nice in fact. I just did not like the culture there, so I left.
Good company
Member Service Representative/stocker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 February 2018
I like to work with the my colleagues as a team member and to assist
the customers/ members for getting them the product they need and
also to work in different positions.
I like good benefits and hours given to us.
Certified Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 February 2018
Very good salary and wonderful management. Benefits are great and time off requests are granted with no fuss. Employees are treated well and there is a lot of room for advancement.
Good place, miss it dearly
Membership Assistant/Deli (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB13 February 2018
I loved working here, felt like family. Everyone (well except maybe 1 or 2) was very friendly. If you did your job there was no issues with management, if you were willing to learn and work hard you would get trained in different departments.
Productive workplace and good work experience
Cashier / Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 February 2018
Managers are very nice people and professional co-workers are like any other work place good people and bad people but overall the company is worth working for because of the opportunities competitive wages and benefits.
Pros
company offers a lot
Cons
job tasks arent very exciting and more plain and simple
Great & fun workplace enviroment!
Majors (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 February 2018
Every time I walk into Costco for a shift, I know its going to be a great enjoyable time! the environment is great, & the employees/management are fun to work with!
Pros
great team
Cons
late shifts
Very busy environment
Pharmacy Technician (Community Placement) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2018
The other employees were friendly and helpful but it was very busy in the pharmacy. Rarely a moment to stop and process anything; everything had to be done as quickly and efficiently as possible with two half hour breaks. Hours could be very early or late but overall not too bad. Though try to keep yourself out of the in-staff drama, if there is any.
nice place to work
Baker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2018
good benefits and pay. management are always there to help. lots of opportunities to go up. hard to find a company nowadays that will give you good work atmosphere
Not happy
Produce Stocker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 February 2018
I am speaking the Regent Ave, in Winnipeg only, I hear the other location is quite different in its mgt.

Of course actual job in practice totally goes against the safety training given in orientation. If a dept head or manager is asked whether someone should lift 50 pounds far above shoulder level, the will say not to. Dare you have another question or problem, you are identified as a problem, and are generally avoided or evaded to a degree....just keeping it real folks.

No talking allowed for morning staff (4 am till opening). The management can't actually tell you not to talk at all, but they will tell you 'if you want hours, you need to be visibly putting in 150% which means, don't be seen talking.' I am not talking about standing around, talking and not working hard.... I mean, literally NO talking. If you caught talking by a supervisor, your yelled at from a distance to 'move it' or 'let's go.' I actually had no problem with this. What I did take issue with was the inequity of 'old-timey staff protecting their own self-interests (extra privileges).

Despite the great, thorough orientation the Costco organization gives, the Regen the management ( 3 store managers, warehouse managers, two-tiered dept. manager, senior staff acting as unofficial supervising roles to new hires) all exist in a work culture as if they are working in a union setting despite Costco not being unionized.

That is to say, as a new hire, you will be expected to work hard, lift heavy as fast as you can with no visible stopping or talking (if your a typical stockperson - excluding
  more... the cushier jobs in clothing or a cashier assistant).

On the contrary, you will constantly see senior staff (outlined above) chatting, laughing at lengths ( I once timed a chat to 17 minutes!) and often times hard to find (smoking in their cars). In other words, the managers do not lead by example, yet talk in strict fashion. There are senior staff members, not all, who are WELL-known to never hustle or work hard in comparison to most others, and yet they are somehow untouchable. I had seen many managers walk right past these staff members or even be engaged in chatting about non-work topics, only tell junior staff to 'move it.' The harder management can make newer staff work, the more they carry on with their priviledged status quo. If it sounds disheartening, it is because it is.
Pros
mostly nice coworkers
Cons
no talking allowed, even before store opens, dept management lets you know they have weight on you, you are rewarded by getting a hour or two extra of work, week to week basis
Prepare to sell your soul
Former Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2018
You will not have a life outside of Costco. Because they pay you well you are expected to devote your life to the company. There is no balance, either you are all in or you are not.
Cons
Awful managers
Emploi génial
Service à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC4 February 2018
Très bon environnement de travail les employés sont tellement gentils , salaires compétitifs , très bons avantages sociaux . Si vous n’aimez pas le service à la clientèle , le stress et travailler selon des horaires très variables ( jours,soirs , fins de semaines et journées fériées) ce n’est pas un emploi pour vous , sinon c’est parfait , beaucoup d’apprentissage , et c’est un emploi qui vous fera grandir tout au long de votre carrière .
Pros
Avantages sociaux et salaires compétitifs
Cons
Beaucoup de travail le soir et week-end, pas beaucoup de temps pour la famille en début de carrière
Okay place to work in
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC3 February 2018
Okay place to work in. I worked for a flower company in costco called bloomstar. I did 12 hours onSaturday, and 11 on Saturday. I only got a half hour break, which really sucked considering the amount of hours I worked...
Workplace culture
Stocker, Merchandise (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 February 2018
Great workplace environment. Friendly managers and supervisors who are always ready to help you learn and excel in your position. A great company to work with.
The Costco Job Life
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB2 February 2018
Working for Costco is pretty good for the most part, the co-workers are probably the best part, the pay is decent, being jjust above minimum wage, but promotions and getting a full time position could take years. Costco is best for student jobs as they have a really good student retention program
Pros
Awesome work environment and co-workers
Cons
part time hours get cut a lot
Meat Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 February 2018
Great place to be, full of advancement opportunities. Management is always helpful and watchful. A good place to be if you're looking for stable work.
Great First Job
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC31 January 2018
This company awards loyalty, hard work and seniority. Good benefits, decent pay, and good management. Hours are not ideal as all day shifts are given to those with seniority.
Pros
Good workplace and benefits
Cons
must work evenings and weekends
Environnement de travail agréable
Commis au service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC31 January 2018
Ce fût un plaisir pour moi de travailler chez Costco.
Very nice for entry level work
Front End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB30 January 2018
Costco Canada is a good place to work if you are looking for an entry level position that has a lot of room for potential advancement as well as fairly significant benefits.
Productive and Fun workplace!
Front End Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON30 January 2018
Very friendly and a great employer! Love Working with Costco. I would go back any day! Their a quick fast paced company, that everyone loves shopping or working with :)
Pros
Friendly staff.
Cons
Busy
Okay
Production Coordinator – Marketing Acquisitions (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 January 2018
My working environment is one where there's a good sense of team spirit. A strong work ethic is obviously important but the human side is also important. I enjoy working with people who have a decent sense of humour and who, while they might take their work very seriously, don't necessarily take themselves overly seriously! I like people who are down to earth but who have a dynamic and progressive approach to their work. I really enjoy working as part of a highly committed and professional team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2