Corus Entertainment Employee Reviews

Great people, bad management
National Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 April 2018
Great workplace culture, the people I worked with were fun to be around and was the main reason I enjoyed working there.
Management needs to learn how to properly manage with consistent strategy, not favouritism.
Good place to start out in the entertainment industry.
Content Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 April 2018
Great people, great culture, however on the lower end when it comes to pay.
Each day is different, depending on what is needed by clients.
The culture is great, many fun things happening like bans coming into play or yoga for free on lunch hours.
Pros
Half day Fridays in the summer.
Cons
Pay.
Position Overview
Director of Promotions and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 March 2018
The glamour of working for media was quickly removed after being with the company 6 months.

More stress than I had intended - no real independents
Pros
Flexible hours and good salary
Cons
to much change no consistency
Typical radio
News Reporter/Anchor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2018
Mostly great people, run by mostly terrible bosses. Poor pay, limited opportunity to advance if you're not willing to brown-nose, middle-management has its hands tied, so don't expect them to back you. Standard response to issues; "Learn how to massage the situation, play ball and don't rock the boat." Lots of bad broadcasters there these days, a hallmark of the overall culture.
Good workplace if you don't mind repetitive work
Publicity Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2018
Working at Corus was not for me. The PR team is divided by portfolios. One good thing is that there is a lot of teamwork and meetings, but ultimately not much space to break outside the 'norm' box and be too creative.
Pros
Free tea and snacks, lots of fun planning press events
Cons
Location, lack of creativity, slow rate on feedback
Fine place to start, not much else
News Reporter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2018
If you're just starting our in the news business, Corus is a fine place to learn to the ropes. However, limited advancement opportunities and low wages are the norm, and if you're looking to get ahead in your career, you're better off looking elsewhere.
As a cleaner here
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 January 2018
As a cleaner for corus entertainment it was really unorganized with unreadable hours and ending shift time would be let out after buses stopped running had to walk home at hours of night
Freelance Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2017
Excellent wages, working conditions, support and benefits. Managers were all kind and had realistic and achievable goals and expectations even if you had to be pushed to get there.
please contact if you have further questions
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 September 2017
Please contact if you have further questions. Fun place to work, amazing people, however the choices that were made to restructure pay made it hard to continue working for this company
Poorly run
Board Operator (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON26 August 2017
Obvious favouritism towards certain employees. the job I applied for and the tasks I was given were not the same. was a toxic environment. Party culture

Want to know more about Corus Entertainment?

Ask a question
Work stays at work. Compensation not so great
BRAND AND CONTENT COPYWRITER (Current Employee) –  Vancouver15 August 2017
I love the people and the work that I do, which makes coming to work every day easy. However, room for advancement and compensation has been a constant struggle. If Corus would pay a living (Vancouver) wage then I would be a lifetime employee but unfortunately that is not the case.
Pros
Work life balance, laid back workplace atmosphere, great people
Cons
compensation is too low. limited room for advancement
fun work environment
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE & MARKETING CONSULTANT (co-op) (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON8 August 2017
I enjoyed meeting new people and explaining to them our various marketing events/marketing programs. Like any sales job though, it takes time to build a client base and the initial salary is low.
Pros
beautiful office
Cons
low start up salary
Corus is an exciting workplace with lots of opportunities to grow and expand ypur
News Anchor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 August 2017
An average day of work within Corus Entertainment is both challenging and exciting. You get the opportunity to work with some of the most talented men and women within the industry.
Unstable working environment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 July 2017
Though the company was going through a corporate transition, employee morale was shaken due to job insecurity.

However, colleagues were pleasant to work with under positive and negative periods.
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Unrealistic expectations
Too short of a time to rate
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2017
Too short of a time to properly rate as a good/bad workplace environment. I did learn a lot about broadcast systems and processes. The commute to the job site was satisfactory.
Had fun, learned a lot
Supervisor, TV (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2017
Corus was a great place to work, while I was there. Miss many of the people since I have departed. Different place since Shaw took over, from what I hear.
Pros
Corus U courses
Cons
The IN crowd and the games people, play
Just a guy (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2017
I work at Corus full-time

Pros
- Supervisors and Managers are all mostly strong and effective leaders
- The benefits are some of the best you can get at a work place
- The pay is fair in my opinion

Cons
- Working in Media is a tough haul sometimes
Low pay. No advancement. Long hours. High demands.
On Air. (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 May 2017
Like all broadcasting outlets this one continues the slave driven culture of worker bees were you can be replaced as fast as you can be fired. Management doesn't care about anything other than making money and doing whatever it takes to keep their high paying jobs and looking good to ownership and continually makes you feel like you are unimportant - except for the success of the company finances. Long hours, high demands, being called on at any time to show up at work with an inference that if you do not your job could be at stake, low pay, no job security, a constant flow of people being fired and new people showing up with high hopes that they will make a difference which they never do as they just become bitter and disinterested like everyone else.
Pros
Free water.
Cons
Worker bee culture. No appreciation. Zero job security. Low pay.
Industry leader with strong culture
Manager, Program Compliance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2017
Corus is a leader in the broadcast media industry and its brands are widely known and respected. The culture is one of collaboration and respect, where people are generally acknowledged for their hard work and dedication.
Inspiring Introductory Internship
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 April 2017
I was able to shadow the engineers for four weeks and it was an excellent start to my experience in the broadcasting world, listening in on discussions between my mentor and the competitors to Corus, where I learned that it is a great skill to be able to remain on a friendly basis with competitors; I was able to become comfortable with the broadcast environment in general.