Corus Entertainment

Corus Entertainment Employee Reviews

Canada120 reviews
Room for growth
I work in a part time entry level position, but I really enjoy the willingness to be taught and able to reach out to higher ups within the community..
Still has some work
The Good: Benefits, people/culture, decent pay; Need To Improve: efficiency, effective guidance empowers employees, exec team needs more diverse rep (women, minorities, LGBTQ), communication, internal politics/jaded attitude of some employees, archaic mentality, structure, remote opportunity options.
Very collaborative environment with incredibly talented people
I ran the in house agency with over 80 full time and about 15 freelance people. It was a highly engaged and creative environment but at the end the company had financial difficulties due to the competition of commercial free OTT services like Netflix and the fact that they did not own their own content. I'd still recommend Courses its a very fast paced, energetic and exciting place to work.
Worst company
Don't work for Corus! Run away if you care about your mental health. Management is horrible and morale is the lowest ever. I worked there for over 7 years and the last 2 were just horrible.
Great employees. Horrible management.
At Corus/Global News Toronto the employees were great. Energetic, polite, and an enjoyment to be around. The management doesn’t have a clue what they are doing. Entry level employees steering the ship is not such a good idea
Don't count on being there forever
Turnover seems high. I saw 2 high level managers quit while I was there 4 months as a contractor. My contract was supposed to be 6 months, but cut short due to budget issues. Don't they plan ahead? Didn't they save money from the managers who quit? I see line graphs every 2 weeks of how successful they are, how they're paying off debt, etc. so budget issues makes no sense. I got good reviews for my work, so that's not it. Another thing: my manager is too afraid to try anything new. "Because we've always done it that way" might keep your job if you're up high enough, but that won't get you ahead. Take a risk once in a while! Geez...
Pros
Nice culture. Some free fruits once a week
Cons
Not many restaurants nearby
A family, a Team a group to meet all common goals
Corus is a wonderful company to work in. They strive to improve you and work to assist you to meet goals. The teamwork within is wonderful and you feel more of a family than a company. Even as a satellite office we felt close to Calgary getting there 4 times a year and more important they were there for you on a daily basis when needed.
Like a family...
High stress job that keeps you on your toes and requires extreme organizational and time management skills.
A fun environment with amazing people to work with!

Will miss them tremendously!
Something for everybody
I haven't been at Corus very long, but have enjoyed my time with the company. Very eclectic mix of coworkers and opportunity whether it's on-air, board-op, writing, promotions, etc.
Cons
Sporadic Hours
Not What I Expected
I was treated like an intern and expected to work for free . When l expressed my displeasure with this arrangement , my dedication and commitment were called into question.
Senior members of staff informed me l was inadvertently taking money from their pockets as a result of the volunteer work / voice tracking l had been performing . I was not encouraged or mentored

I
Creative Hub
Working at Corus has been wonderful. They definitely foster an environment for collaboration and creativity. Even the overall design of the building and work spaces foster inspiration and creativity. I really enjoy it and I'm grateful for the opportunity!
Depending on your manager, can be a great place to work
- Overall would recommend
- Very fast paced place to work, tight deadlines depending on division

- Every department runs differently; perks & flexibility depend on your manager's personal style, but improving

- Summer Friday afternoons off; time made up during week, but nice to have and get out of the city or starting your weekend early

- Constant reorganizations loom, depending on financials

- Salary is on lower end, and increases as well, but other benefits can make up for this
Productive and fun workplace
Typical days are pretty laid back and there is not a lot of stress from the workload. Management is very understanding with my family work life balance.
Corus is an excellent place to work. You feel like you are working towards something great. The building is beautiful and the people are amazing. I'd highly recommend it.
Productive and flexible work arrangements
Work is ok and you can work from (flexible arrangement). Offices are very vibrant and the employees are very relaxed (re: work clothes). The employees are very friendly.
Pros
free fruits every Monday and free to watch Screening of films.
Was a fun environment with no job security
The job environment was fun and I worked with great people. However, The salary was tough to live on. The chances of getting a significant raise were slim and there was little job security.
Great work enviornment
Can have more work from home days and better salary. Management is good, have many fun activities for employees through the year. Less scope of growth and employees stay in same position for many years
Excellent culture but changing
While I worked there it was an outstanding culture. But I left right around the time that they merged with a similar sized organization and I could see the culture changing. Very good people for the most part who love what they do. I don't think they are changing fast enough to stay relevant in their industry.
Pros
Lots of perks and great benefits; free concerts and access to celebrities
Cons
Declining industry; some senior managers not strategic or relationship people
Well structured
Everything seemed very well communicated and very simple structure from the management down. It was always easy to know what was going on and if questions came up it was easy to get answers.
Fun place
Great place to work its a lot of fun and there is a great feeling of independence and creative freedom. There's a real sense of good corporate structure that allows for upward movement.
Good company, working to adapt in disruptive industry
Corporate culture is focused on empowering individuals, company is interested and working on employee engagement, creating interesting solutions in a new era of media consumption.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Corus Entertainment. Our community is ready to answer.