Corus Entertainment Employee Reviews

Very Much a High School Atmosphere
Concerned Employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2018
This is my own opinion and doesn't relate to Corus as a whole. I've often witnessed coworkers openly bad-mouthing people, especially in the marketing/design department. Managers and higher ups in multiple departments are included. Favoritism is a huge thing as well. If someone is liked more then you, expect them to get the perks first. I've also seen people putting someone down to raise their preferred person up. I've talked to people who have stayed super late, not because of them not getting work done but because they are purposely being overloaded so they would leave. I've worked here for many years now, but it hasn't been getting better. If strong politics is your thing then right now maybe this place is the place for you. I'm only placing this here because I really hope the work environment will change and I really want to help people who might be to nervous to reach out. To late for myself though, I'm planning on leaving very shortly.
Busy and exciting place to work with little work/life balance
Promotions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 October 2018
Busy and exciting place to work with little work/life balance. Benefits and vacation time are great, starting at 3 weeks. Management is easy to communicate with and has an open door policy- at my office at least. Lots of room to learn, not a lot of room to grow on the radio side.
Pros
3 weeks vacation to start, benefits, fun/busy workplace
Cons
Long hours, little work/life balance
Toxic work culture in a dying industry
Board Operator / Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2018
Originals or people with creativity shouldn't consider working here, they value people who won't question them. Big bosses only care about keeping the stations barley alive, long enough for them to retire.

I was working 18 hour days, and sometimes only got 2 hours of sleep between shifts.

You're told if you work hard and cross train in different departments, eventually they'll promote you. This is a bald faced lie, they just need people to work long hard hours so they can spend the majority of the year on vacation.

My limited time off outside of work was filled with answering useless emails and phone calls from the people here that have nothing better to do all day. I got close to 20 emails before 10 am on a daily basis.

There are some fantastic people, especially in Engineering, but outside of that it's basically like being back in High School.

I'm FINALLY free!
Pros
Donut Thursdays
Cons
Poor management, no advancement, bad pay, long hours, no respect, high school clicks, tons of emails
Great coworkers
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 August 2018
I love my co-workers great workplace culture, however there are not many opportunities for advancement and the pay is very low compared to other in the industry.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Salary, advancement opportunities
Good Company to Work At
Account Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2018
I have enjoyed my time at Corus. Big focus on improving culture after the merger. They regularly seek out employee's opinions and work on improving on the concerns they have.
Pros
Fun Industry
Cons
Salary
Great talent, poor company vision
production (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2018
Corus Entertainment was once a strong independent voice in Canadian media. Then it was merged with Shaw. They dropped the "Entertainment" from their name if that's any indication.

Now their prime product is ET Canada and Global News and any sense of creativity is gone.

Radio budgets are slashed, talent just shuffles off to different markets, rebranding over substance

they do not pay for independent contractors such as photographers who provide media on their sites.

middle management does what they can to hang on to Shaw's coattails, producing mediocre content, accepting service work (taking content from third parties) and simply editing it, instead of creating anything new, or that won't sell toys

sad
Rather be unemployed than work here
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2019
The experience you get will greatly depending on the team you join. The marketing teams definitely seem to have fun but otherwise, its basically a prison. Managers who fake it till they make it and dump all the work on their team. Absolutely no support from leaders. Extremely toxic with no recognition for hard work. People walk all over each other and hold information from each other on the same team.
Pros
Cool looking work place
Cons
very low pay, no support from managers, no team culture or collaboration
Entertainment is the Job
Producer (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON10 December 2018
The workload was very heavy and I was there late daily and skipped a lot of lunches.

My Team was great but we all felt that the creative process was not respected by the other departments. There are exceptions to the rule, for sure, but at the end of the day nearly everything became the exception. We did not have a Creative Director which is evidence of why these things continued to happen.
Cons
"management is watching when you leave"
OK place to work
Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2018
Corus is an average work place management wise but is in a good location. The hours are fair and there is a decent work/life balance, but it is obvious that some people work harder than others.
Very relaxed and rewarding job
Client Services Level 1 - 3 (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2019
The Service Desk role was great. You help out people from all Corus HQs with technical issues and have a team that backs you up. The work environment is great with no micro-managing making work go by quickly as you knock down tickets throughout the day.

However, I did see a few issues that could easily be fixed, but I have hope that they will address those issues.

Would definitely work there again!
Pros
Great work environment, great team leads.
Cons
Communication seems to be lacking, but that can always be fixed.
Might be good if you lived in Toronto
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 December 2018
Pros

-Pay alright for how little work you are allowed to do.

Cons

- Have to fill out tickets to accomplish basic tasks because there is a lack of trust or just plain apathy with their employees.
- Takes a long time to complete said tickets or tickets only half done/incorrectly leaving users frustrated.
- Little to no access or permissions leaving staff feeling powerless, dejected, and disenfranchised.
- Definitely, suffer from "Toronto is the centre of the Universe" complex.
Position Overview
Director of Promotions and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 March 2018
The glamour of working for media was quickly removed after being with the company 6 months.

More stress than I had intended - no real independents
Pros
Flexible hours and good salary
Cons
to much change no consistency
Great location
CLIENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2018
Amazing waterfront location.
They help make a work life balance.
I was able to work from home part of the week.
It felt a lot like family.
Corus was a great place to work.
Pros
slide
Cons
Work stays at work. Compensation not so great
BRAND AND CONTENT COPYWRITER (Current Employee) –  Vancouver15 August 2017
I love the people and the work that I do, which makes coming to work every day easy. However, room for advancement and compensation has been a constant struggle. If Corus would pay a living (Vancouver) wage then I would be a lifetime employee but unfortunately that is not the case.
Pros
Work life balance, laid back workplace atmosphere, great people
Cons
compensation is too low. limited room for advancement
fun work place, management styles leave more to be desired
worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 May 2016
Management in certain departments is almost non-existent.
Styles in which employees must deal with all issues on their own is a joke. Management is unwilling to make decisions and instead pawns off their work to subordinates who should not be dealing with certain issues/tasks.

Co-workers are great. It is easy to foster both friendships and working relationships with these people.

Union employees have a perennial fight on their hands to get adequate pay raises and benefits. The company does not like to give these employees what they are due.
Pros
good people
Cons
anti-union
Corus Entertainment
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2018
Fun place to work the building has a slide which is a bonus.
The building aspects of the place is fairly neat as there is the Morning Show and Radio broadcasting in the building
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Low pay. No advancement. Long hours. High demands.
On Air. (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 May 2017
Like all broadcasting outlets this one continues the slave driven culture of worker bees were you can be replaced as fast as you can be fired. Management doesn't care about anything other than making money and doing whatever it takes to keep their high paying jobs and looking good to ownership and continually makes you feel like you are unimportant - except for the success of the company finances. Long hours, high demands, being called on at any time to show up at work with an inference that if you do not your job could be at stake, low pay, no job security, a constant flow of people being fired and new people showing up with high hopes that they will make a difference which they never do as they just become bitter and disinterested like everyone else.
Pros
Free water.
Cons
Worker bee culture. No appreciation. Zero job security. Low pay.
Excellent staff
Shipping/Receiving (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 April 2018
no job security
no opportunity for advancement
fantastic people to work with
management is very positive and helpful
most enjoyable part is the people I work with
Pros
fellow employees
Cons
no advancement opportunity
Corus Review
Promotions, Receptionist, Interactive (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 January 2017
I loved working for this company as it was a work hard, play hard environment and my co-workers were like my second family. However, when lay-offs happened it was more stressful as the work piled up and the pay was not increased.
Pros
Free stuff, great team, relaxed environment, fun atmosphere, meeting artists
Cons
salary was low, sometimes the work piled up and it was like you were doing 5 jobs at once, not enough hours in the day certain time of the year
Cybersecurity
Cybersecurity Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2018
Great place to work full time or as a contractor. The culture is different then any corporation and you can grow and increase your knowledge in this environment. Teamwork driven.