Corus Entertainment Employee Reviews

Entertainment is the Job
Producer (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON10 December 2018
The workload was very heavy and I was there late daily and skipped a lot of lunches.

My Team was great but we all felt that the creative process was not respected by the other departments. There are exceptions to the rule, for sure, but at the end of the day nearly everything became the exception. We did not have a Creative Director which is evidence of why these things continued to happen.
Cons
"management is watching when you leave"
No permissions to do anything yourself
Concerned (Current Employee) –  Alberta5 November 2018
Little to no permissions or access complete basic tickets, leaving staff to feel powerless, dejected, and disenfranchised.

Was better when it was Shaw Media
Great location
CLIENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2018
Amazing waterfront location.
They help make a work life balance.
I was able to work from home part of the week.
It felt a lot like family.
Corus was a great place to work.
Pros
slide
Cons
Toxic work culture in a dying industry
Board Operator / Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2018
Originals or people with creativity shouldn't consider working here, they value people who won't question them. Big bosses only care about keeping the stations barley alive, long enough for them to retire.

I was working 18 hour days, and sometimes only got 2 hours of sleep between shifts.

You're told if you work hard and cross train in different departments, eventually they'll promote you. This is a bald faced lie, they just need people to work long hard hours so they can spend the majority of the year on vacation.

My limited time off outside of work was filled with answering useless emails and phone calls from the people here that have nothing better to do all day. I got close to 20 emails before 10 am on a daily basis.

There are some fantastic people, especially in Engineering, but outside of that it's basically like being back in High School.

I'm FINALLY free!
Pros
Donut Thursdays
Cons
Poor management, no advancement, bad pay, long hours, no respect, high school clicks, tons of emails
Busy and exciting place to work with little work/life balance
Promotions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 October 2018
Busy and exciting place to work with little work/life balance. Benefits and vacation time are great, starting at 3 weeks. Management is easy to communicate with and has an open door policy- at my office at least. Lots of room to learn, not a lot of room to grow on the radio side.
Pros
3 weeks vacation to start, benefits, fun/busy workplace
Cons
Long hours, little work/life balance
OK place to work
Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2018
Corus is an average work place management wise but is in a good location. The hours are fair and there is a decent work/life balance, but it is obvious that some people work harder than others.
Corus Entertainment
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2018
Fun place to work the building has a slide which is a bonus.
The building aspects of the place is fairly neat as there is the Morning Show and Radio broadcasting in the building
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Great talent, poor company vision
production (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2018
Corus Entertainment was once a strong independent voice in Canadian media. Then it was merged with Shaw. They dropped the "Entertainment" from their name if that's any indication.

Now their prime product is ET Canada and Global News and any sense of creativity is gone.

Radio budgets are slashed, talent just shuffles off to different markets, rebranding over substance

they do not pay for independent contractors such as photographers who provide media on their sites.

middle management does what they can to hang on to Shaw's coattails, producing mediocre content, accepting service work (taking content from third parties) and simply editing it, instead of creating anything new, or that won't sell toys

sad
Great coworkers
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 August 2018
I love my co-workers great workplace culture, however there are not many opportunities for advancement and the pay is very low compared to other in the industry.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Salary, advancement opportunities
Very Much a High School Atmosphere
Concerned Employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2018
This is my own opinion and doesn't relate to Corus as a whole. I've often witnessed coworkers openly bad-mouthing people, especially in the marketing/design department. Managers and higher ups in multiple departments are included. Favoritism is a huge thing as well. If someone is liked more then you, expect them to get the perks first. I've also seen people putting someone down to raise their preferred person up. I've talked to people who have stayed super late, not because of them not getting work done but because they are purposely being overloaded so they would leave. I've worked here for many years now, but it hasn't been getting better. If strong politics is your thing then right now maybe this place is the place for you. I'm only placing this here because I really hope the work environment will change and I really want to help people who might be to nervous to reach out. To late for myself though, I'm planning on leaving very shortly.
Announcer
Swing Announcer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2018
I worked at Edge 102 in Toronto and it was a dream job. I hosted multiple shows in studio and interviewed every major artist that was bi at the time. An experience I;ll never forget.
Pros
Awesome rock and roll lifestyle
Cons
Zero
Good Company to Work At
Account Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2018
I have enjoyed my time at Corus. Big focus on improving culture after the merger. They regularly seek out employee's opinions and work on improving on the concerns they have.
Pros
Fun Industry
Cons
Salary
Cybersecurity
Cybersecurity Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2018
Great place to work full time or as a contractor. The culture is different then any corporation and you can grow and increase your knowledge in this environment. Teamwork driven.
Great people, bad management
National Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 April 2018
Great workplace culture, the people I worked with were fun to be around and was the main reason I enjoyed working there.
Management needs to learn how to properly manage with consistent strategy, not favouritism.
Excellent staff
Shipping/Receiving (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 April 2018
no job security
no opportunity for advancement
fantastic people to work with
management is very positive and helpful
most enjoyable part is the people I work with
Pros
fellow employees
Cons
no advancement opportunity
Good place to start out in the entertainment industry.
Content Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 April 2018
Great people, great culture, however on the lower end when it comes to pay.
Each day is different, depending on what is needed by clients.
The culture is great, many fun things happening like bans coming into play or yoga for free on lunch hours.
Pros
Half day Fridays in the summer.
Cons
Pay.
Position Overview
Director of Promotions and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 March 2018
The glamour of working for media was quickly removed after being with the company 6 months.

More stress than I had intended - no real independents
Pros
Flexible hours and good salary
Cons
to much change no consistency
Typical radio
News Reporter/Anchor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2018
Mostly great people, run by mostly terrible bosses. Poor pay, limited opportunity to advance if you're not willing to brown-nose, middle-management has its hands tied, so don't expect them to back you. Standard response to issues; "Learn how to massage the situation, play ball and don't rock the boat." Lots of bad broadcasters there these days, a hallmark of the overall culture.
Good workplace if you don't mind repetitive work
Publicity Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2018
Working at Corus was not for me. The PR team is divided by portfolios. One good thing is that there is a lot of teamwork and meetings, but ultimately not much space to break outside the 'norm' box and be too creative.
Pros
Free tea and snacks, lots of fun planning press events
Cons
Location, lack of creativity, slow rate on feedback
Fine place to start, not much else
News Reporter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2018
If you're just starting our in the news business, Corus is a fine place to learn to the ropes. However, limited advancement opportunities and low wages are the norm, and if you're looking to get ahead in your career, you're better off looking elsewhere.