Correctional Service of Canada Employee Reviews

Corrections/Security
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC11 February 2018
Working in corrections can be a high stress job. Sometimes the days were very long. I definitely learned to handle stress. The best part about this job is the overtime that was offered.
VERY difficult organization to work for
Case Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC31 January 2018
Constantly changing priorities, laws, policies and employees. High stress environment supervising offenders in a correctional environment. Lots of responsibilities and legal ramifications. Potentially very dangerous.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
No job security/dangerous
nothing to see
Fully trained Federal Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK20 December 2017
very meek and unorganized,underfunded depressing all all words to describe corrections management,officers are generally great people but the training is full of games and scenarios that are useless in the real world
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
too many to list
Observation is key
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Gravenhurst, ON, Bowden Institution15 December 2017
For 15 years i was a correctional officer II I have 2 sisters that are doing the same thing now.
A typical day at work was counting inmates, their welfare and safety.
safety of the staff and support workers.
Management was great it is up to you how they treat you.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with suicides and severe beatings.
The most enjoyable part of the job was understanding human behavior and where it starts.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Effects of being surrounded by inmates all the time.
Great workplace
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Stony Mountain, MB3 December 2017
My job as a correctional officer is to aid the offenders to safely reintegrate into society as law-abiding citizens. I do this by providing them with safe, and humane care to rehabilitate them to their previous non-criminogenic lifestyle.
Great job for students
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC30 November 2017
This job is great for students or assistants as it pays better than most companies. However the job is stressful and the organization is very disorganized and demanding and everybody gossips like they're still in highschool.
Fast pace and stressful
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Springhill, NS12 October 2017
It was a very fast pace job. You dealt with the worst of society but the job itself was amazing. I learned how observation skills and many other. I was able to advance quickly and retire at a young age.
Pros
Many benefits
Cons
Mistrust in people
Fantastic position filled with new knowledge, amazing experience
Information Management System (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON15 September 2017
Start the day at a regular 8 AM start, log into e-mail and Assyst Ticket system to review today's work. Co-ordinate with co-workers to divide up work to each person's strengths. Each day included things such as imaging, administering systems, repair, client assistance, researching technologies.

I gained a lot of knowledge with my time at Correctional service Canada such as, advanced imaging, Assyst Ticket system, advanced hardware, active directory, remote desktop, video conferencing, and other technical studies.

The management at my job was fantastic, my boss was open to new ideas and additional possibilities for our division. He listened to ideas with an open mind and suggested things to supervisors about moving forward with ideas.

The workplace was very professional and all the clientele was polite and respectful of your knowledge, they relied on our knowledge of Computers and networks and respected our opinions highly.

The hardest part of the job was keeping track of the abundance of knowledge I obtained over a short time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was gaining knowledge from all my co-workers, all of them passed on information to help better me in the world of technology. Each passed on new knowledge that I used daily to assist clients and figure out new and old problems.
Pros
Knowledge base, great hours, great environment
Excellent
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 July 2017
Excellent school. Only just started but very good admissions staff and easy to contact. They worked quickly to resolve any issues with my application.
productve
Internship (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB12 July 2017
fun environment to work, staff cheerful and always happy no matter what need help they are always there to help you no matter what is the situation and if need explanation
Its an interesting career, new challenges everyday.
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Drumheller, AB1 May 2017
Be prepared to work around the most negative people day in and day out (inmates I mean). Other than that it's a good career. 90% of the time physical labour not needed but 10% of time it's crazy.
Pros
Good benefits and time off
Cons
Pay system is terrible
Good pay, and great benefits
Finance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC22 April 2017
The pay is good, and the benefits are great. If you can get a permanent position, you generally don't have to every worry about losing your job. It's stable.
Volunteering with an inmate
Transitional Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2017
I was really young when I did this, and did not feel like I had an appropriate amount of training to be left with an inmate that was recently released into the community. I often felt like that duties I was responsible for were out of my reach and unsafe.
Negative Environment
Staff Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON26 January 2017
The atmosphere and environment are very negative as it's all about locking people away and removing their freedoms. It's occasionally an extremely rewarding place to work because you have the most profound degree to make a change in the lives of offenders. The majority of offenders are not bad people but people that have done bad things. They totally have the potential to become law abiding citizens and once again return to be contributing members of society.
Pros
Enlightening
Cons
Negative Atmosphere
Great job!
Aboriginal Program Officer (Current Employee) –  Innisfail, AB29 July 2016
Great job for work advancement, diversity and benefits. Very dynamic job as you have a different day every day! I learned about compassion and a better understanding of the human condition. My co-workers were wonderful and I enjoyed the team work. The hardest part of my job was not taking it home with me.
Pros
Benefits and a secure job
Cons
Sometimes getting personally attached to the outcome.
Client service oriented with room for growth
Parole officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 July 2016
Job security and work/life balance is excellent in this job environment. Enjoy interacting with others and working with a team.
Great employer!
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 June 2016
Work with the Correctional Service of Canada allowed me to expand my repertoire of skills to more than I could have imagined. I was given complete responsibility for numerous projects, both locally based projects at the Ottawa Parole Office and those with a national scope at National Headquarters. I received an award for my work on these projects.

Employees at CSC often devote themselves to a lifetime career in Corrections. Many have a personal passion for working in this field.
Excellent
Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK31 May 2016
Exceptional branch of government to work for, everyone was very accommodating and helpful during my contract. Staff assisted me with my job as best as they could.
Pros
Exceptional staff
Cons
So many positions
Looking for a Rewarding Career then Look Elsewhere
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Beaver Creek Insitution, Gravenhurst, ON23 May 2016
While the pay and benefits are second to none and the pension plan is considered the "gold" standard the job itself has very little rewards. In a typical day as a Correctional Officer you can be expected to conduct walks and counts of the Institution, conducting searches of physical spaces and offenders or in emergency situations responding to alarms. The work itself tends to get very boring and you will receive little help from Management who for the most part tend to be self serving and view Officers with disdain.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Can be boring, Shiftwork, Ineffective Management
secure employment at a cost
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Warkworth, ON4 May 2016
a great job in terms of security. staff cohesion is mediocre at times.
overall a toxic work environment in which you are constantly under stress and the threat of danger to your personal safety is a real and daily threat.
Pros
pay and job security
Cons
long hours and it sucks the life from your soul

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Correctional Service of Canada. Our community is ready to answer.