Correctional Service Canada

Correctional Service Canada Employee Reviews

Leadership? What's that?

Managers micromanage. No real sense of chain of command or authority, people just have titles and have no clue how to do their job. People don't follow policy and circumvent rules.

Excellent Management

If you do your job you will succeed and advance quickly. Everyone no matter the race, religion and gender are treated equally and fair. Awesome management!! Hours were normal office hours.

Eye opening. Mostly great people to work with

I really enjoyed my 10 yrs and would recommend CSC or DND to anyone who wants job security, decent pay and benefits. If you think you would be timid amongst inmates this isn't the job for you.

Pros

Interesting, Challenging, Job Security, Great People

Cons

Driving to work, no food available within a 20 minute distance

Cela dépend des départements bien sur...faut y donner du sien

Nous avons nos responsabilités et pouvons toujours apporter nos idées ou insatisfactions...rien n’est parfait mais il nous appartient à chacun d’agir avec professionnalisme et demander de l’aide si nécessaire

Pros

Possibilités de carrières vastes

Cons

Les employés qui demeurent silencieux quand quelque chose ne va pas!

Caution

There is a toll to be paid on wellness, family, and trust. Caution at every decision, every moment. The clientele are not the problem. Burocrasy is. Buyer beware.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Poison work environment

Toxic Environment

The above title says it all. Whether with coworkers or federal inmates, the correctional culture and subculture most times, can cause more trouble than your pay check is worth. Whomever says corrections will never change you mentally, emotionally, spiritually, is a liar. You will be exposed to most inappropriate and dislocated behaviours usually seen in movies or television. Glorified. It’s long shifts. Stressful environment.

Pros

Money. Benefits.

Cons

Mental and emotional health impacts. Potential physical harm and/or death.

Great camaraderie amongst staff. Interesting places to work.

CSC has great benefits and pension program. Can be challenging and rewarding working with offenders providing opportunities for them to learn skills and work through personal issues in order for them to become law-abiding citizens.

Pros

Generous leave package

Cons

Shifts can be long

great co-workers

overall my years with CSC was enjoyable. I advanced both in my job and my education. There was some managers who were bullies but overall the rest were great.a typical day would be answering emails, setting up and completing interviews with clients and writing reports.

Pros

travel allowaance

Cons

long drive on a major highway

En général, j’ai été satisfaite sauf la dernière année.

J’ai occupé un poste à l’administration pendant 15 ans. J’ai bien aimé mon travail. J’ai été remerciée suite à du harcèlement pendant la dernière année. C’est moi qui a été mise à pied un maigre $5000: de prime de départ. J’ai été une employée pendant 15 ans. J’en garde quand même des bons souvenirs.

Pros

Psychologie, connaissances acquises, belle équipe de travail sauf un, évidemment.

Cons

Les évènements de la dernière année.

It was an honour to work for CSC.

Job security, valued employees, amazing learning opportunities. Many courses available to take, ability to job search internally. Many resources available and great benefits offered

Pros

Unionized, pension benefits.

Jobs at Correctional Service Canada

See more jobs

The Correctional Service of Canada is an integral part of the Canadian Justice system.

I was employed at CSC as a Registered Psychiatric Nurse for 25 years. I have been retired for three years. Corrections is a difficult environment simply because working with confined people with a great deal of problems including psychiatric, emotional and physical They suffer from addictions and personality disorders. I found the last few years of my employment more difficult as Offender behaviour became more problematic. To be honest for most of my career I was proud to say I worked for the Correctional Service of Canada. CSC is not a good environment for young people. I often told students if they were young ( nowadays students are often a bit older) don't start your career here but get some life experience before starting here, CSC does employ a great many different professions: Psychiatrists Doctors, Psychologists, Nurses and Social Workers and Correctional Officers. Hope I didn't miss any. I should close. CSC is a difficult environment there is no question about that. I believe the most stressful part of corrections is the unknown. A staff member never knows for sure when a traumatic event will occur. However if a career in Law enforcement is what you are after I would advise you to look at the Correctional Service of Canada.

Pros

Good benefits and job security, You can move around the country, I know people that have transferred to Ontario or the Pacific Region.

Cons

13 and 16 hour days are rough but the pay off is more days off unless you want to work overtime, inmate assaults have increased, Shift work is rough, nights, evenings weekends, Like most law enforcement CSC front line staff tend to became isolated, Nobody else tends to understand what goes on "behind the wall."

Very unique experience

This is not a work environment for the faint of heart. You and your belongings are security checked going in and out. I was a term employee and with that comes no benefits

Cons

You have to be vigilant if working around inmates

Working for CSC is not for everyone. It can be a tough, but rewarding career.

Working for CSC has pluses and minuses like any job. Job security is high, but job satisfaction is often low. It can be frustrating to work for the federal government as priorities change as governments change. Too much management and oversight and you need to be able to work within fairly strict guidelines.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Little room to be an individual.

Career goals

If you're lucky enough to get a term position, it will be a well paid few months. The work culture varies based on department, location, position. Overall comfortable environment.

Pros

The benefit is having access to internal full time positions.

Cons

The "Term" system is stressful and you're not guaranteed work after.

Ailleur

Faites autre chose de votre vie Allez vous occuper des gens qui ont besoin pour vrai pas de vidanges

Très bon

Excellent collaboration Sentiment de sécurité Ambiance de travail ok

Pros

Collaboration

Cons

Ambiance

I wish term workers could work longer days in the year

Loved the atmosphere and people were very welcoming I have a wonderful experience learned so much and was able to pick a career based on the training I acquired and also loved volunteering for different programs and my favourite was the flexibility in the office

Très bien

Excellent travail de collaboration et aptitude accrue pour un service au personnel de qualité professionnelle. Recevoir une grosse quantité de courrier, en faire la distribution à chacun des départements. Faire la lecture de documents administratifs, les codifier et les classer dans les dossiers appropriés. Offrir aux employés les fournitures et lematériel dont ils ont besoin

Pros

Travail d'équipe

Cons

Contractuel

Government Job

Great place, had a good time ,amazing place to work, good people . not much more I can say as I'm legally obligated not to say anything negative. It takes a certain person to do the job, lots of stress and really doing the time yourself .. Its like a world in a world you cant understand unless your part of it

Pros

Great staff

Fun workplace

busy and fast paced lots to learn good social aspect enjoy the quick changing environment easy going management lots of challenges to test your skills good training

Travail contractuel

Le fait de travailler l'équivalent de 3 mois par année n'aide pas à choisir un emploi. Surtout lorsqu'il n'y a aucune garantie de jours de travail par mois afin de pouvoir trouver un 2e emploi pour complementer leurs salaires

Cons

Horaire de 12h et non paiement des primes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Correctional Service Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8Job security/advancement