Correctional Service Canada

Correctional Service Canada Employee Reviews

Canada35 reviews
The job was interesting work to complete. The employees and manger were very nice as well. Overall good pay, good location with a safe and positive environment
Loved the atmosphere and people were very welcoming
I have a wonderful experience learned so much and was able to pick a career based on the training I acquired and also loved volunteering for different programs and my favourite was the flexibility in the office
I really enjoyed working at the Institution, very different than any place I have ever work at.
It was a prison so it could be a little strange being in that type of environment.
I have been a nurse for corrections for around twenty years. It has gone from a safe and enjoyable environment to one of the most dangerous and toxic work atmospheres I have ever had the displeasure of working for. I wouldn't recommend working in corrections to my worst enemy. Administration is corrupt.
Have worked for Corrections Canada for past decade. Managers at higher pay grades are almost entirely incompetent - in fact the more problematic an employee is, the higher the chances of them becoming a manager. Zero consultation with most workers at base levels and forces employees to work under duress. Countless job actions occur and CSC commonly breaks its own policies and federal laws; is hidden from public and other employees. They have been found in contravention of Canada Labour Code and choose to ignore directions; often gives direct orders to employees to work under duress or go home without pay as punishment for following safety protocols enacted by law and their own policies. Zero accountability, financially driven, and feeds on constant changes without consultation that directly affects employees personal lives. Also, little to no career advancement, unless you're an incompetent employee then you have a good chance at running divisions or becoming a supervisor.
It is really stressful with little gain. It can be personally rewarding. However, management politics can get to you. It is something that changes how you think, feel and deal with aspects in your life. After 10 years, I am debating if it would be healthier to move on.
CSC is a great company to work for and a great management team. Depending on the position you hold with the Company, the position could be fast-paced or slow-paced, stressful, or relaxed. It is difficult to give any recommendation, you would need to choose a job that is related to your interests.
Definitely a career for the highly motivated and highly dedicated in this field. Field-specific skills and software, but still applicable to other government careers should you chose to move around.
Tips:
1. Don't start as a term, you will be a term for a long time as there are always priorities and accommodations in line for alot of the parole officer, clerical, social program officer jobs and the like. These persons will magically slip into positions with no warning.

2. No work place should be, but this place has a cover-your-butt-at-all-times atmosphere.

3. Don't expect recognition for your hard work. Everyone is too busy to care.

4. Processes are very slow, some unnecessary.

5. There is favoritism between managers and staff. As well as many cliques between departments.

6. Too many irrelevant training sessions for some positions.

7. Career advancement is difficult due to items mentioned in Tips 1, 3, and 5.

8. Many micro-managers work here.

The only good:

Substantial federal salary and benefits of course - start with 3 weeks vacation, 5 days family related leave, accumulate sick leave, dental etc.
Stable job, 40 hour work weeks with good benefits but challenging to work with offenders with varying ranges of mental health issues. Staff can also be a challenge with those who wish to work and many who don't. Different unions cause major separations between Administrative, Security and Management branches which has led to some serious harassment problems and at least 80 staff members off with PTSD between offender and staff interactions. Management has an entirely different agenda that conflicts with safety due to budgetary concerns. The less money they use the better reviews they get from the brass but the less staff have to work with to keep offenders busy and staff safe. The culture can be quite poisonous if the wrong managers are in charge and peaceful if the right ones are in place.
Pros
Stable, Varying Shifts, Good benefits
Cons
Harassment, Dangerous
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Correctional Service Canada?
Coming from the private sector, my hours were harsh and the work was difficult.

However working for the government, the hours are easy, and the work is easy. Work here if you are looking for stability.
collaboration environment with team members on different projects. Perform various research, compiling, verification and summarizing of data information.
Offenders often challenging to work with. Paperwork often took precedence over offender contact. Supervisors were good, but often stuck between the right thing and the thing that policy required.
Working for Correctional Service Canada was a good thing for me. It allowed me to finish raising my daughters and provide for them. At the same time there were opportunities for advancement. I also had the luxury of moving from one place to another. I was able to experience different locations and different jobs. I have had a full experience in the accounting field within Corrections.

I recommend jobs in Corrections to others and encourage them to experience this work place. It is much safer than I imagined at the beginning. All employees have to take care of their own safety at all times just like you do in the outside world. There are correctional officers who are there to protect you and I felt more secure there than in a mall downtown.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Accounting comes with a heavy workload. This is just a fact.
A typical start day is to boost up your prep talk and be prepared to make precise work delegation to inmates with clear instructions and timing for 3 meals in terms of serving time.

Supervise intensively like a hawk and cross reference everything and check from time to time to correct kitchen ethics, foodsafe and foods abuses in terms of stealing as well as hiding utensils and kitchen wares.

The hardest part of the job is to coordinate meal tasks, foods preparation and cooking time with unskillful inmates and to train them to produce volume on-time and portioning right at steamlines during 40 minutes meals time.

Timing is crucial and equally important to manage special diet meals, religious meals for inmates that required health attention.

However, it is quite satisfying when inmates learn the skills, serve it right for their foods and complete their duties on schedule. This is no easy job to do, given the facts that there are restrictions of movement inside the kitchen and limited access to utensils, knives, wraps, foils and each food kind and proteins.

It is all about management at the front line plus lots of logged reports and mentoring. At the end of the day, most likely tired, rush to fresh air and feel accomplished...and that's on a daily basis, hence challenging and good pay for 12 hours.
Great local staff, work at your own pace, lots of time to meet the deadlines. Great staff to work with.
Working with Inuit to connect with their families in Nunavut.
Pros
home for lunch
Cons
in and out of facility
Great place to work. Serious vision. Training every year in my speciality
Major concerns with Phoenix payroll system and political agenda of upper management. Excessive witch-hunt culture of blame. Frustration levels high when working with various departments due to a lack of expediency and 'not my job' mentality.
A lot of office politics and too many "bosses" giving differing direction. Rules followed by some, but not all.
Some departments not approachable. Warden not making decisions leaving departments to squabble.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Negative Morale amoung staff
Working with very serious and heavy subject matter, this branch placed great emphasis on the need for a health work-life balance. Things like "coffee Thursdays" were implemented to bring the employees in this small office together at least once every week for 15-30 minutes in the late morning to ensure the employees were taking health mental and physical breaks.
Good place to work, good management, great experience, worked with good people, learned a great deal about the institutions, I loved my career in corrections and I wished I never had to leave. I worked with amazing people everyday. It was the excitement of never knowing what would happen day by day.
Pros
Friendly envirement
Cons
very hard to become full time employee