Corel Corporation

Corel Corporation Management reviews

Canada17 reviews
fine place to work. lots of autonomy mixed with bursts of top down micromanagement and the looming threat of quarterly layoffs
Pros
autonomy
Cons
low pay relative to industry
Overall, the company had a self-entitlement culture of the management spectrum and some employees could make doing even some of the simplest tasks much more difficult.

Salary compensation was often on the lower spectrum of other high tech companies an in some cases could have a difference in the range of $10,000 to $20,000.

Some staff in management positions weren't a good fit for those roles, especially when they lacked the experience and/or understanding of the jobs their staff did on a day-to-day basis.

There was an issue of favouritism within the company that saw some employees treated differently by middle-management and some management felt they deserved special treatment compared to some of their own colleagues often making day-to-day activities challenging. This was compounded by the benefit of the doubt being given to someone in a management position over a regular employee when issues arose. Better management training is definitely required.

Advancement within the company was dependent on the department and the management structure for that department. Favouritism had more of a role to play in your advancement than your ability or the quality of the job you did within the company as well.

Ironically, the Exec and C-Level Exec staff when I was there were far more laid back and respected the employees as much as they could given circumstances but have shown to keep a person's dignity when restructuring would occur. Job loss packages were often generous and would provide some work-placement assistance.

The company could do better if they did away
 - more...
Pros
Work/Life balance & flexibility, Bonuses
Cons
Salary, middle-management
working with a large group of designers and copy writers to achieve best product.
Illustrator, Graphic Designer, Art Director, Web Design, Search Engine Optimization, Social Networking, Digital Artwork, Technical Illustration, UI graphic design, extensive private and public industry experience, strong interpersonal skills, vast conceptual capacity, capable of combining traditional art with current technologies, Strong team management skills, positive professional work
Pros
Learning new creative things every day
Cons
watching mismanagement in large format and the personal loss of employees
Love my job. I work with a great team and have an amazing manager. Very flexible hours, i come in and out pretty much as I please as long as I get my work done and I attend meetings. Flexibility to work from home when needed too.

Lost of layoffs every year makes for a tough morale overall. Seems like no one makes much money and no merit increases for a long time. A bit of a disconnect from executive team in that regard.
Corel has a great team and great products.
But, it is not as good in terms of management
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Corel Corporation?