Corel Corporation

Corel Corporation Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
Wish it had lasted longer
Enjoyed my tenure there. Unfortunately, 9/11 events in 2001 severely impacted the overall software tech industry, and the company had to make drastic changes at the end of 2001.
Great Team
The CorelDRAW team is fantastic! The team also has a lot of cohesion. People will often bring snacks to share and the atmosphere is fun and lighthearted.

The work is fun and challenging. You will also get a lot of exposure to different kinds of technology and opportunities to build up experience.

I started my career here and I can't think a better place to start out as a Software developer.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Good work life balance, Good benefits
Cons
Compensation
Good workplace overall
The Coral Corporation were very good at balancing work life with life. Very good experience overall. They were very good at creating a happy work environment.
Climbed the ladder!
I loved working for this company, I started as an inside sales rep, had an amazing mentor and was afforded the ability to grow into managing a sales team that consistently exceeded quota.
Pros
amazing mentor and opportunity to grow
Cons
company was sold!
good culture. good future not guaranteed
fine place to work. lots of autonomy mixed with bursts of top down micromanagement and the looming threat of quarterly layoffs
Pros
autonomy
Cons
low pay relative to industry
It was a creative place to work
At Corel, I had learned a great many ways to be creative, they used you but were fair about it. The experiences that I acquired there are life long.
Pros
Travel
Cons
long hours due to deadlines
Office culture needs improvement.
Overall, the company had a self-entitlement culture of the management spectrum and some employees could make doing even some of the simplest tasks much more difficult.

Salary compensation was often on the lower spectrum of other high tech companies an in some cases could have a difference in the range of $10,000 to $20,000.

Some staff in management positions weren't a good fit for those roles, especially when they lacked the experience and/or understanding of the jobs their staff did on a day-to-day basis.

There was an issue of favouritism within the company that saw some employees treated differently by middle-management and some management felt they deserved special treatment compared to some of their own colleagues often making day-to-day activities challenging. This was compounded by the benefit of the doubt being given to someone in a management position over a regular employee when issues arose. Better management training is definitely required.

Advancement within the company was dependent on the department and the management structure for that department. Favouritism had more of a role to play in your advancement than your ability or the quality of the job you did within the company as well.

Ironically, the Exec and C-Level Exec staff when I was there were far more laid back and respected the employees as much as they could given circumstances but have shown to keep a person's dignity when restructuring would occur. Job loss packages were often generous and would provide some work-placement assistance.

The company could do better if they did away
 - more...
Pros
Work/Life balance & flexibility, Bonuses
Cons
Salary, middle-management
Great start to my career
Corel was my first job in my testing career and I learned a lot from the great people I worked with. With a diverse portfolio of applications I had the opportunity to work on several different projects during my tenure. I was blessed with favorable managers that allowed me the flexibility to work without someone always looking over my shoulder. I was permitted to suggest new ways to innovate within the testing team and I was valued.
Pros
Flexible hours, great people
Cons
Compensation
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Corel Corporation?
Intense, stressful
Great product produced by intense schedules. Lots of late nights for months on end until product released, then a break until the next push.
Pros
Great "thank you" events for staff
Cons
Intense atmosphere
The Creative culture
working with a large group of designers and copy writers to achieve best product.
Illustrator, Graphic Designer, Art Director, Web Design, Search Engine Optimization, Social Networking, Digital Artwork, Technical Illustration, UI graphic design, extensive private and public industry experience, strong interpersonal skills, vast conceptual capacity, capable of combining traditional art with current technologies, Strong team management skills, positive professional work
Pros
Learning new creative things every day
Cons
watching mismanagement in large format and the personal loss of employees
great people, great products, uncertain job security
Love my job. I work with a great team and have an amazing manager. Very flexible hours, i come in and out pretty much as I please as long as I get my work done and I attend meetings. Flexibility to work from home when needed too.

Lost of layoffs every year makes for a tough morale overall. Seems like no one makes much money and no merit increases for a long time. A bit of a disconnect from executive team in that regard.
No respect for their employees
It was a nice place to work. Had my own cubicle with computer and phone. Co-workers were great. The supervisor was also great. Very understanding. Had to make a certain amount for the company every quarter or risk loosing job. Risk losing job every time they buy out another company. Treat you like a criminal once the layoff is complete, as in, they send everyone else into a meeting so they don't see the layoff in progress so to keep moral up, they watch you as you pack your things and they escort you off the premises. And they think a week before Christmas is the best time to do this.

Also, they refuse to give references or acknowledgment of employment to previous employees searching for new work.
Pros
Bonuses if you surpass the quarter minimum
Cons
High risk of loss of employment
Cool Canadian company as good as MS Office
Developed test cases for WordPerfect QA department
Create macros to automate testing process

Code maintenance/bug fixes

Fixed numerous dialogue boxes

Setup, configured & maintained testing systems
Pros
Fun company, awesome team building events
Great prodcuts
Corel has a great team and great products.
But, it is not as good in terms of management
great team(Paradox DB Suite) Development & Testing
Great experience in team oriented enviroment even though pjt mngr was of little help; having no real understanding of the project/software(his position/title was purely honorary.
Pros
gave small business and private citizens a useful product at a resonable price
Cons
No job security
Great people, great learning experience!
My responsibilities include coding open-ended questions from in-product-marketing survey’s that were distributed through Corel software. I helped calculate Net Promoter scores for each product and along with other data; I created presentations to
deliver the messages from the surveys.
Excellent learning environment.
An excellent place to work, good co-workers, long hours, great benefits, good learning environment.
Pros
stocks
Cons
young managers