Core-Mark International, Inc.
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

Core-Mark International, Inc. Pay & benefits reviews

Canada74 reviews
Overall it's a small branch here in Calgary. My position was newly created by the director of Calgary Operations and they bumped up my yearly salary by $5k after adding some additional responsibilities to my role. Later after I joined and I found out that a senior employee of mine is already doing my job. The difference was my title has a lead in it. Following a couple of informal meetings with the director, it seemed like the senior management was unable to get this employee to change to their expectations so it was made clear to me that I should start putting that employee's main responsibilities on my plate and eventually fire him if necessary. I wasn't sure at the time how performance coaching became this difficult with this employee or it was the union environment. Consequently, the management style of this division was in question as this employee turned out to be a great guy with great knowledge.

Ever since the beginning, I became sidelined by other employees who were defending this employee. The ones that were supposed to train me were never available by phone or text. The company also doesn't have a formal training program.

Upon my review, they were dissatisfied with my performance. Their answer to no training was that it's a fast-paced company so why should they provide training. I found this claim to be extremely bothersome. Especially given the fact that I hadn't worked in the sector and was recruited from a different sector for my talent and transferrable skills.

So what was my real job responsibility? Fire my senior employee and take his job. Real classy.
Pros
Pay and bonus, decent mileage reimbursement, slow-paced environment
Cons
Politics and discrimination
Unreasonable loads. Too many stops, too much to deliver in a day on routes that's way too far from vancouver. Very long exhausting days. Good pay, good equipment and benefits but most of the guys quit within a week or so because is way too much work for one person especially the lifting part. It was not a good experience for me. Ended up getting sick and hurt at the end of my term
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad management
Physically demanding. Most of the time you are by yourself as you deliver to 10-25 stops in a tractor trailer. Corporate company. Good health benefits.
It's one of the worse warehouses I have ever worked at. Safety is not a priority in this warehouse and when you get hurt, they don't care. It's a real task to get management to create an accident report. It is not shocking to see the occasional fist fight. The women order pickers are constantly fighting with each other. Management thinks that if they give you a BBQ and hotdogs lunch occasionally that they are doing a great thing. Don’t bother to go to the Xmas party that is given in February when it’s cheaper. You are given 1 drink and the food is really bad. The benefits are not that good either. There are better companies out there. It’s a revolving door in the warehouse and the office. Don’t work at the Milton Core-Mark.
Official response from Core-Mark International, Inc.
4 June 2020
Thank you for reaching out. We are taking these comments seriously. The safety and security of our employees is of the utmost importance to us. If you could please follow up with us by reaching out to lianne.daues@core-mark.com, we’d greatly appreciate it.
Other employees are great. Management is a joke. If your looking for a short term paycheque- go for it. Just don’t plan on a long term career with this company.
Pros
Free samples
Cons
Low pay, pathetic management
decent sales position, low start salary
under new management
small Toronto office

no car supplied takes toll on wear, tear & mileage

gas paid

large territory to cover
Management needs a complete overhaul.
Despite their claims at company meetings to improve communication, overall work environment and route & maintenance organization, this is not the case.

Non management are just numbers, nothing more. Do what your told and don't express concerns otherwise you'll pay for it in one way or another.

Negativity is always pin pointed, and its rare you'll get a "Good Job!" or receive any appreciation for the extra mile you'll put in to make up for the constant mistakes throughout the company.

There is no room for advancement and very poor salary. Despite their claims.

Drivers & warehouse employees wages are well below competitors rates.

Day to day can be very stressful with next to no solution from management. "It is what it is" and "We'll pass it along" are phrases you'll hear spoken consistently.

If you're considering applying for a position with Core-mark, rethink this move. You'll go nowhere fast have have very little to feel proud of.
Pros
Paid hotels. Good Benefits, 3 days off a week.
Cons
Forever changing management with zero accountability, All stats are worked, unorganized routes.
Management needs a complete overhaul. Despite their claims to improving overall work environment and atmosphere, this is not the case. Non management are just numbers, nothing more. There is no room for advancement and very poor salary. This company claims to be competitive with salaries, however in customer service this is not the case. Very stressful with next to no compensation. If you're considering applying for a position in customer service, rethink this move. You'll go nowhere fast.
Pros
Co-workers are a great team despite poor management.
Cons
Poor, poor, poor wages. Not even a Christmas bonus.
Working for Core Mark was both rewarding and trying depending on the day and the workload. But, everyone worked their hardest to make sure everything was done and product was sent out on time even if we were working with older equipment, the job got done. Everyone I worked with was always a team despite frustration when unexpected events occurred such as the conveyor for moving everything to be palletted breaking down and every pallette having to be made in their work area, everyone came together, even the managers.
Pros
Team environment, good benefits
Cons
No career advancement, more work for no extra pay
Core-Mark is a wholesaler of products for the convenience channel in the U.S.& Canada. The reputation of the companies service has long been a concern for the industry in the Ontario, Canada market place. There are some good people there but the general sales management is poor and customers suffer. I worked there as a sales representative for years and tried to make a difference, my customers appreciated the effort but fighting weak management practices, poor customer service policies, changing pricing and a lack of customer care worked against the sales focus.

Core-Mark tries to do too much and thus fails. The focus should be on WHOLESALING. Once a few general management (manager) changes occur the Ontario Division could recover. If you are considering Core-Mark as a long time career, re-evaluate your options. Short term roles to gain experience are fine but be prepared to work with tough leadership if you want to

stay "on the bus".

The salary is below average as wholesalers are not known for their high wages. It's not a profitable business trucking water, salt and cigs to convenience stores.

Harley Davidson changed and Core-Mark can too.

A FRESH approach is needed but if you apply, come to work, put in your time and have a High School Diploma - you may even become

General Manager someday.

Keep your head low, your mouth shut and don't try to improve the process and you will be fine. There will always be jobs available at Core-Mark.
Pros
Flexibility, inspirational sales meetings, summer BBQ's.
Cons
General Sales Manager. Management by Intimidation, Bonus Sturture, low salary
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Core-Mark International, Inc.?
I loved working here until some management changes in the last quarter of 2017 and was consequently treated very poorly even after doing my work for almost three years at the time. I learned that if you complain, stand up for yourself or challenge them in any way, you will lose in the end. At the end of the day, they're an international company (Headquartered in the U.S.) who just want you to do what they tell you to do, shut up and suck it up. Jobs are termed as "salaried", yet we submit hours and are paid by the hour. It is an expectation to put in overtime as necessary but not be compensated as jobs are classified as "salary". I had the best boss, we had a super relationship, she was always caring and helpful and I considered myself lucky to be working with her, sadly that changed and she turned on me, once again, my heart has been broken.
I was a warehouse employee, The harder you work the less hours they give you. The Operations Manager at the Winnipeg location has no idea what he is doing. He spends all his time in his office and only comes out to the warehouse when he oviously has been talked to by the division president. low wages and they have no priority on safety.
Pros
employee are friendly
Cons
long hours- mess up your pay all the time.
When I started working for this company, it was a really exciting place with lots to learn and new opportunities for growth. The Client Care manager really cared about the people working in their department and the well being of their employees, everything from mental, physical, emotional, AND FINANCIAL well being were important to them. When it came time for raises this manager understood the workload and ensured we were compensated well for the hard work. The manager also made efforts for the team to get together for team building events to make sure we had our morale up, no matter how horrible the day was..unfortunately like that manager and a few of some other really great managers that started there, they eventually moved on or got let go for basically not agreeing with the biggest joke of that division the ..almighty new president, the new client care manger did not care about the team despite the fact that she was under the management of our previous client care manager who is the epitome of what a true leader looks like she learned nothing and destroyed whatever morale the team had left. This new “manager” got their promotion ( because they were the oldest out of all of us and the president didn’t think a younger person had the skills to lead the department..little did he know the youngest person was practically doing all of the so called Manager’s job) the new “manager” is absolutely useless, perhaps if they focused less on what their next meal is and eating or making their team run out to get them food, or how about going out for countless smoke breaks, better - more...
Pros
learned lots
Cons
long hours, terrible management, president of division is an idiot
I really enjoy working at Core-Mark
You do not work stats and get 3 weeks to start. car allowance and gas card is given and the management is outstanding.
Pros
management, great company
Cons
starter wage is ok
Core Mark was a new business and I was hired from the beginning. I enjoyed putting my skills of logistics skills to use. I managed over 20 employees and scheduled them to deliver products to the food industry, I found the employees great to work with. The work was challenging and fulfilling. My typical day at work was scheduling drivers and routes, Safety and compliance of the fleet of trucks, licencing trucks and trailers, Log book screening for accuracy, stock rotation , customer service to our clients and driving deliveries as needed. I was also in charge of hiring drivers and road tests. The hours were sometimes long but I did not mind. The management was very good and enjoyable to work for, The hardest part for me was discipline actions toward my drivers, The most enjoyable part of work was that that there was life balance. I learned how to be diplomatic.
Pros
Salary and Benifits
I would not refer anyone to Core-Mark. Poor management, too much favoritism and not enough leadership.
No real advancement opportunities.

Worst company I have ever worked for.
Benefits
Cons
Poor in all
Great benefits and decent pay! The management is pretty easy to talk too, you get to travel all day and get paid to exercise. You can even choose to drive out of town for a route. But the only bad thing I can think of is this company, is route bidding is based on seniority.
Pros
union
Cons
pyhsical work
Only good compensation factor is insurance program---pay is on the low side; management talks a good game but favoritism is prevalent. Management has their "favorites" who can do no wrong---a double standard exists for managers versus warehouse employees.
Pros
insurance
Cons
favoritism and "socializing"
Fast paced when busy. Not much room for holidays when we have to service clients and meet our obligations. It can be hectic and not good for a family situation with the work hours
Pros
work environment was free and relaxed
Cons
long hours when busy. work all through the year including holidays.
The staff and my co-workers were great to be around. We worked well as a team.

The employee moral is down because everyone wants to have the holiday's off but we don't get much time off and have to work extra days to get the 2 days off at Christmas and New Years.
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
No holidays off
Not a very good job.
Company does not let you have a life and there is minimal upward mobility.

The pay is Fair. The atmosphere places people on edge
Pros
pay
Cons
everything
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Core-Mark International, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9