Core-Mark International, Inc.

Core-Mark International, Inc. Management reviews

Clear

Found 49 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,353 reviews

No training provided

Overall it's a small branch here in Calgary. My position was newly created by the director of Calgary Operations and they bumped up my yearly salary by $5k after adding some additional responsibilities to my role. Later after I joined and I found out that a senior employee of mine is already doing my job. The difference was my title has a lead in it. Following a couple of informal meetings with the director, it seemed like the senior management was unable to get this employee to change to their expectations so it was made clear to me that I should start putting that employee's main responsibilities on my plate and eventually fire him if necessary. I wasn't sure at the time how performance coaching became this difficult with this employee or it was the union environment. Consequently, the management style of this division was in question as this employee turned out to be a great guy with great knowledge. Ever since the beginning, I became sidelined by other employees who were defending this employee. The ones that were supposed to train me were never available by phone or text. The company also doesn't have a formal training program. Upon my review, they were dissatisfied with my performance. Their answer to no training was that it's a fast-paced company so why should they provide training. I found this claim to be extremely bothersome. Especially given the fact that I hadn't worked in the sector and was recruited from a different sector for my talent and transferrable skills. So what was my real job responsibility? Fire my senior employee and take his job. Real classy.

Pros

Pay and bonus, decent mileage reimbursement, slow-paced environment

Cons

Politics and discrimination

Changes are good

Most people are great to work with but some management could be nicer. Every year is getting better and we like the new hr people are very helpful more than the old people. The texas head office people creates more work for everyone and doesnt understand what is happening. The work place is very fast paced and challenging.

Pros

Challenging work

Cons

Corporate Texas is out of touch and out of line

Working there

very poor management. People get used and abused. If you try to make changes you are quickly removed. If you stand up for things you will be removed. I would not recommend this place until

Az driver london

Great place to work. If you like a fast paced environment. Hard work but you get rewarded well. First company I’ve worked for that management appreciates the drivers and work we do. I would recommend this company. Thanks for the opportunity.

Pros

Great pay good customers

Run away

Drivers are overworked with way too many deliveries for one person a day. lack of respect for management They seem to think drivers are just a number Way too many safety issues i.e. inexperienced drivers. Drivers using other peoples E logs because they are over the hours of service and management doesn’t do anything when they’re called out about it

Pros

Nothing at all

Cons

Your a Slave

Good job that could be much better

Unreasonable loads. Too many stops, too much to deliver in a day on routes that's way too far from vancouver. Very long exhausting days. Good pay, good equipment and benefits but most of the guys quit within a week or so because is way too much work for one person especially the lifting part. It was not a good experience for me. Ended up getting sick and hurt at the end of my term

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Bad management

Good benefits bad management

Management is a joke they constantly lie and are unprofessional. The job can be rough at times and the hours very long. Don’t trust anyone in core-mark Nobody cares about your concerns.

Official response from Core-Mark International, Inc.

4 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are sorry that your experience at Core-Mark did not match our intentions. If you would like to share more about your experiences, please contact me at lianne.daues@core-mark.com so that we can set up a time to talk. Thank you again for the feedback.

They like to promote the company as a family. It's far from it!

It's one of the worse warehouses I have ever worked at. Safety is not a priority in this warehouse and when you get hurt, they don't care. It's a real task to get management to create an accident report. It is not shocking to see the occasional fist fight. The women order pickers are constantly fighting with each other. Management thinks that if they give you a BBQ and hotdogs lunch occasionally that they are doing a great thing. Don’t bother to go to the Xmas party that is given in February when it’s cheaper. You are given 1 drink and the food is really bad. The benefits are not that good either. There are better companies out there. It’s a revolving door in the warehouse and the office. Don’t work at the Milton Core-Mark.

Official response from Core-Mark International, Inc.

4 June 2020
Thank you for reaching out. We are taking these comments seriously. The safety and security of our employees is of the utmost importance to us. If you could please follow up with us by reaching out to lianne.daues@core-mark.com, we’d greatly appreciate it.

Bad management, no support for humanity

Great staff, great atmosphere but isolating if you’re not office staff. Then new management came in late 2014 and cut staff in terrible ways by finding loop holes in legalities. I don’t know how they could sleep at night!

Racism is Rampant

The most racist toxic place I've worked in. The upper management in operations is completely narrow minded and will not work with employees or listen to them. Senior Drivers are paid based on race and subjective traits such as knowing upper management, they are violating equal work for equal pay act. Hope someone sues them. Do not work here, its a waste of your talent and energy. They won't change and pay is horrible.

Jobs at Core-Mark International, Inc.

See more jobs

decent company

decent sales position, low start salary under new management small Toronto office no car supplied takes toll on wear, tear & mileage gas paid large territory to cover

Comfortable Work Place

I learned a lot at Core-Mark. very nice work place. The management does not encourage us to grow and have a good professional development. The hardest part of the job is learning about my roles taking notes.

Pros

Quite environment

Cons

No meetings and appreciation for our work

Core mark company is very good company and the employees are very helpful. They give respect to their co-workers. The management is to good at working location

A good place to work for. Barbecue activities and some other more.

Working for CoreMark is a very good experience. The top management of the company from the President to the managers are all down-to-earth. They wont make you feel uneasy.

Culture is terrible

Most people that work here I found had a very negative attitude and management I think mirrored that back onto his workers, or vice versa, and made for a very negative place to work at

Old school management

negative feed back no positive reinforcement ask you to lie to customers ask you to work when not scheduled no work and life balance senior staff are not ethical

Pros

Great territories

Cons

Bad senior staff /out of touch/old school train of thought

Great company

Is a great company but most of the general staff have an attitude problem too much gossip in the workplace. The management is friendly, the supervisors always willing to help

Hard work. No job security. Unorganized routes & Zero accountability from management.

Management needs a complete overhaul. Despite their claims at company meetings to improve communication, overall work environment and route & maintenance organization, this is not the case. Non management are just numbers, nothing more. Do what your told and don't express concerns otherwise you'll pay for it in one way or another. Negativity is always pin pointed, and its rare you'll get a "Good Job!" or receive any appreciation for the extra mile you'll put in to make up for the constant mistakes throughout the company. There is no room for advancement and very poor salary. Despite their claims. Drivers & warehouse employees wages are well below competitors rates. Day to day can be very stressful with next to no solution from management. "It is what it is" and "We'll pass it along" are phrases you'll hear spoken consistently. If you're considering applying for a position with Core-mark, rethink this move. You'll go nowhere fast have have very little to feel proud of.

Pros

Paid hotels. Good Benefits, 3 days off a week.

Cons

Forever changing management with zero accountability, All stats are worked, unorganized routes.

Will not recommend anyone to work here

Management is a huge MESS!!! No job security, no work life balance, exploitation of working hours, forced and threatened to work overtime without being paid for it or you will lose your job :(

Customer Service Representative, Milton ON

Management needs a complete overhaul. Despite their claims to improving overall work environment and atmosphere, this is not the case. Non management are just numbers, nothing more. There is no room for advancement and very poor salary. This company claims to be competitive with salaries, however in customer service this is not the case. Very stressful with next to no compensation. If you're considering applying for a position in customer service, rethink this move. You'll go nowhere fast.

Pros

Co-workers are a great team despite poor management.

Cons

Poor, poor, poor wages. Not even a Christmas bonus.

Great Employees, Poor Management!

I have to say that the majority of employees who work here are fantastic! They are a very tight family as they have to be, as they need to constantly support each other as management is so poor. When I was brought on I was told that old toxic management were all let go and were trying to bring on new employees who can fix the poor culture. They brought in a new DP and eventually a new HR Manager. Those two people are probably the worse, most toxic, and most disrespecting people I have ever met. All they clearly care about is money. They bring with them poor communication, mismanagement of employees, and an old school mentality of hierarchy with poor engagement. Management needs to lead by example and create a positive working environment for employees to perform at their best capacity - which does not happen at the Alberta location. I have heard this is similar across all divisions in the US and Canada. My advice is to run... run far away!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Core-Mark International, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9

2.7Job security/advancement

Compare Core-Mark International, Inc. with

• Core-Mark International, Inc.