Core-Mark International, Inc.

Core-Mark International, Inc. Culture reviews

Clear

Found 13 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,351 reviews

No training provided

Overall it's a small branch here in Calgary. My position was newly created by the director of Calgary Operations and they bumped up my yearly salary by $5k after adding some additional responsibilities to my role. Later after I joined and I found out that a senior employee of mine is already doing my job. The difference was my title has a lead in it. Following a couple of informal meetings with the director, it seemed like the senior management was unable to get this employee to change to their expectations so it was made clear to me that I should start putting that employee's main responsibilities on my plate and eventually fire him if necessary. I wasn't sure at the time how performance coaching became this difficult with this employee or it was the union environment. Consequently, the management style of this division was in question as this employee turned out to be a great guy with great knowledge. Ever since the beginning, I became sidelined by other employees who were defending this employee. The ones that were supposed to train me were never available by phone or text. The company also doesn't have a formal training program. Upon my review, they were dissatisfied with my performance. Their answer to no training was that it's a fast-paced company so why should they provide training. I found this claim to be extremely bothersome. Especially given the fact that I hadn't worked in the sector and was recruited from a different sector for my talent and transferrable skills. So what was my real job responsibility? Fire my senior employee and take his job. Real classy.

Pros

Pay and bonus, decent mileage reimbursement, slow-paced environment

Cons

Politics and discrimination

Demanding but rewarding place to work

Hard work rewarded with advancement. Very high expectations. Strong development opportunities available. Strong focus on engagement. Challenging job but great accounts and co-workers

Great people

Overall a great working environment. Enjoyed the job, could have done much better in planning for busy season. Caused unnecessary strain on all members of staff

Lot's of travel

Prepare to be on the road for a majority of your time. Main goal was to increase sales and add new customers. Very competitive business with thin margins.

Comfortable Work Place

I learned a lot at Core-Mark. very nice work place. The management does not encourage us to grow and have a good professional development. The hardest part of the job is learning about my roles taking notes.

Pros

Quite environment

Cons

No meetings and appreciation for our work

Customer Service Representative, Milton ON

Management needs a complete overhaul. Despite their claims to improving overall work environment and atmosphere, this is not the case. Non management are just numbers, nothing more. There is no room for advancement and very poor salary. This company claims to be competitive with salaries, however in customer service this is not the case. Very stressful with next to no compensation. If you're considering applying for a position in customer service, rethink this move. You'll go nowhere fast.

Pros

Co-workers are a great team despite poor management.

Cons

Poor, poor, poor wages. Not even a Christmas bonus.

Great Employees, Poor Management!

I have to say that the majority of employees who work here are fantastic! They are a very tight family as they have to be, as they need to constantly support each other as management is so poor. When I was brought on I was told that old toxic management were all let go and were trying to bring on new employees who can fix the poor culture. They brought in a new DP and eventually a new HR Manager. Those two people are probably the worse, most toxic, and most disrespecting people I have ever met. All they clearly care about is money. They bring with them poor communication, mismanagement of employees, and an old school mentality of hierarchy with poor engagement. Management needs to lead by example and create a positive working environment for employees to perform at their best capacity - which does not happen at the Alberta location. I have heard this is similar across all divisions in the US and Canada. My advice is to run... run far away!

Disaster

Watch your back, scapegoating others is a way of life here. Nobody takes responsibility for their own actions. And under no circumstances do they care about the customers best interest, only their bottom line. Management a dissaster throughout, at every level.

Pros

Zero

Cons

Culture, pay, backstabbing

Nice place to work at

its a nice place to work at co workers are ice friendly and helping . Old management was great new management is not that great to work with . i would not want to work under that management .

Very nice work environment

I joined Core Mark on a short term contract and had a wonderful experience working there, helpful coworker and supportive management, commute was the toughest part but I wa sfilling in for a short contract so it was okay.

Pros

Healthy work environment

Cons

Long Commute

Jobs at Core-Mark International, Inc.

See more jobs

Worst place to work too much politics

Worst manager and racist manager. Long hours of work with no appreciation at all. Work work and work. Manager dont know the job and expect a lot from staff Manager think they own the company ,treat the staff as slaves, and HR is also worst play politics with employee, you never know when you will be thrown out

Cons

no incentives, discriminatory environment. only for whites

no proper training salary does not increase after first 10 months very dirty for a food distributor supervisors, team leads very irresponsible not professional manager works hard to make it happen but junior team sucks and pathetic.Can't even drive equipment properly Not a good strategic plan to run the place always short staffed making current staff work like donkeys politics to the extreme everyone backstabbing each other at workplace too many crybabys no unity in staff

Pros

good manager

Cons

bad junior management staff

Packager

The work was enjoyable. My co-workers were fun. I learned to work hard and focus on work.

Pros

Fun

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Core-Mark International, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9

2.7Job security/advancement

Compare Core-Mark International, Inc. with

• Core-Mark International, Inc.
  • Culture
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?