Core-Mark International, Inc. logo
Core-Mark International, Inc.

Core-Mark International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Calgary, AB

Found 20 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,316 reviews

No training provided

Overall it's a small branch here in Calgary. My position was newly created by the director of Calgary Operations and they bumped up my yearly salary by $5k after adding some additional responsibilities to my role. Later after I joined and I found out that a senior employee of mine is already doing my job. The difference was my title has a lead in it. Following a couple of informal meetings with the director, it seemed like the senior management was unable to get this employee to change to their expectations so it was made clear to me that I should start putting that employee's main responsibilities on my plate and eventually fire him if necessary. I wasn't sure at the time how performance coaching became this difficult with this employee or it was the union environment. Consequently, the management style of this division was in question as this employee turned out to be a great guy with great knowledge. Ever since the beginning, I became sidelined by other employees who were defending this employee. The ones that were supposed to train me were never available by phone or text. The company also doesn't have a formal training program. Upon my review, they were dissatisfied with my performance. Their answer to no training was that it's a fast-paced company so why should they provide training. I found this claim to be extremely bothersome. Especially given the fact that I hadn't worked in the sector and was recruited from a different sector for my talent and transferrable skills. So what was my real job responsibility? Fire my senior employee and take his job. Real classy.

Pros

Pay and bonus, decent mileage reimbursement, slow-paced environment

Cons

Politics and discrimination

Many good people, good place to work

It has proper system in the whole company. I worked in the Calgary office, we have HR, Admin, Accounting, AR and credit, customer services. Employees work as a team, we chatted a lot.

Changes are good

Most people are great to work with but some management could be nicer. Every year is getting better and we like the new hr people are very helpful more than the old people. The texas head office people creates more work for everyone and doesnt understand what is happening. The work place is very fast paced and challenging.

Pros

Challenging work

Cons

Corporate Texas is out of touch and out of line

Run away

Drivers are overworked with way too many deliveries for one person a day. lack of respect for management They seem to think drivers are just a number Way too many safety issues i.e. inexperienced drivers. Drivers using other peoples E logs because they are over the hours of service and management doesn’t do anything when they’re called out about it

Pros

Nothing at all

Cons

Your a Slave

deliver job

it's very physical job , you have to lift heavy box and walk inside the truck and o inside he store with customers,cars around . doesn't matter the weather .

Very fast working environment

Great company to settle and do physical work. Equipment is old many do not function properly. Safety is jeopardized and the safety manager is rarely present to assess situations.

Lot's of travel

Prepare to be on the road for a majority of your time. Main goal was to increase sales and add new customers. Very competitive business with thin margins.

its a very nice and interesting place to work

Depends on what you looking for, core-mark is very good place to learn and practice.i have grown in knowledge and has person generally, learnt how to take and delegate instructions.

Culture is terrible

Most people that work here I found had a very negative attitude and management I think mirrored that back onto his workers, or vice versa, and made for a very negative place to work at

Great company

Is a great company but most of the general staff have an attitude problem too much gossip in the workplace. The management is friendly, the supervisors always willing to help

Jobs at Core-Mark International, Inc.

in Calgary, AB
See more jobs

Great Place to work at

A normal day at work is usually a long day of hard work. working in a fast paced environment all day but when you understand the job it becomes pretty easy.

Worst work environment ever

It is amazing this company even stays in business. After a large financial fiasco the people responsible for it are still employed. If you are seeking employment there bring your red nose and oversized shoes cause it's a circus. Your opinion will not matter and if you think you there to help with the change you are not you will be used and manipulated until you are burned out. This has been by far my worst work experience ever.

Pros

Cons

Never done working.

The Calgary Division is THE WORST

When I started working for this company, it was a really exciting place with lots to learn and new opportunities for growth. The Client Care manager really cared about the people working in their department and the well being of their employees, everything from mental, physical, emotional, AND FINANCIAL well being were important to them. When it came time for raises this manager understood the workload and ensured we were compensated well for the hard work. The manager also made efforts for the team to get together for team building events to make sure we had our morale up, no matter how horrible the day was..unfortunately like that manager and a few of some other really great managers that started there, they eventually moved on or got let go for basically not agreeing with the biggest joke of that division the ..almighty new president, the new client care manger did not care about the team despite the fact that she was under the management of our previous client care manager who is the epitome of what a true leader looks like she learned nothing and destroyed whatever morale the team had left. This new “manager” got their promotion ( because they were the oldest out of all of us and the president didn’t think a younger person had the skills to lead the department..little did he know the youngest person was practically doing all of the so called Manager’s job) the new “manager” is absolutely useless, perhaps if they focused less on what their next meal is and eating or making their team run out to get them food, or how about going out for countless smoke breaks, better -

Pros

learned lots

Cons

long hours, terrible management, president of division is an idiot

Disaster

Watch your back, scapegoating others is a way of life here. Nobody takes responsibility for their own actions. And under no circumstances do they care about the customers best interest, only their bottom line. Management a dissaster throughout, at every level.

Pros

Zero

Cons

Culture, pay, backstabbing

Hard work = good pay

I enjoy working at this company it has provided me with a lot of opportunities. If you work hard they pay you accordingly. I would recommend this job to anyone who is ready and willing to put in the work.

Great

Learned a lot with the management team. Hands on training. Great software programs. Very patient with training and potential to move ahead with company was great.

Enjoyable place to work at

Shifts not matching with life now looking for alternatives Good christmas parties and working environment working on latest equipment overall good experience

Worst comany ever to work for..

This company is poorly mismanaged. You will be told to do things the company way then they will use it against.the union is broken and the drivers there will turn in each other in a heart beat

Pros

Good money

Cons

No one knows what there doing there

Core-Mark - Good Company for Entry-Level Drivers

Very accommodating with training entry level employees. Enjoyable delivery job with great hours.

Pros

Accommodates Training

Cons

Unsafe Work Practices; Poor Work/Life Balance

Company Evaluation Summary

Core-Mark was a fine company since it first started in 1888. Its main objective is to service the convenience industry. I had worked in its Calgary warehouse for nine years. I was growing frustrated because there were very little chances of career advancements. I was on the seniority list for five years. It was after I witnessed three junior members being promoted pass me that I decided to leave this dead end job. The pay was good. The working conditions were acceptable. However there were lack of communications between management and the staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Core-Mark International, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9

2.7Job security/advancement

Compare Core-Mark International, Inc. with

• Core-Mark International, Inc.
  • Calgary, AB