Core-Mark International, Inc. Employee Reviews

It was my dream job and company until I was thrown under the bus several times recently
Sales Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 May 2018
I loved working here until some management changes in the last quarter of 2017 and was consequently treated very poorly even after doing my work for almost three years at the time. I learned that if you complain, stand up for yourself or challenge them in any way, you will lose in the end. At the end of the day, they're an international company (Headquartered in the U.S.) who just want you to do what they tell you to do, shut up and suck it up. Jobs are termed as "salaried", yet we submit hours and are paid by the hour. It is an expectation to put in overtime as necessary but not be compensated as jobs are classified as "salary". I had the best boss, we had a super relationship, she was always caring and helpful and I considered myself lucky to be working with her, sadly that changed and she turned on me, once again, my heart has been broken.
Wonderful Place
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 April 2018
Working with them was very enjoyable. Has gained extensive experience in terms of customer contact and handling of their problems. As well as the training program of the institution was very effective and useful by all standards. We worked all year round and collected donations. On the management side, it was their concern to satisfy customers and apply all standards to their satisfaction. And was always keen to communicate between employees and provide a good environment so that the employee feels that he runs his own work and is keen to perfect his work and complete his duties and responsibilities to the fullest. The enterprise also has been adopting the style of stimulation and encouragement of staff and this has undoubtedly had a significant impact on the performance of employees.
High pressure
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Ontario16 March 2018
Very high expectations, with little support. Support and communications are very week. No opportunity to move forward. Staff is very frustrated and the environment is not good.
Worst work environment ever
Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 March 2018
It is amazing this company even stays in business. After a large financial fiasco the people responsible for it are still employed. If you are seeking employment there bring your red nose and oversized shoes cause it's a circus. Your opinion will not matter and if you think you there to help with the change you are not you will be used and manipulated until you are burned out. This has been by far my worst work experience ever.
Pros
Cons
Never done working.
Training was ok. After that good luck on making anyone accountable. Weekly meetings were not useful nonon efollowed through.. my mgr was never around
Sales Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB18 February 2018
I asked for some progress with issues nothing changed in 3 weeks. My mgr would let me know at last min wasn t coming with me. Taking the day off.
Working for a company where everyone works together and is accountable is number 1 for me, if this is important to you don t bother coming here.
Pros
Friday always comes.
Cons
Long hrs, lots of driving
Warehouse
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 February 2018
I was a warehouse employee, The harder you work the less hours they give you. The Operations Manager at the Winnipeg location has no idea what he is doing. He spends all his time in his office and only comes out to the warehouse when he oviously has been talked to by the division president. low wages and they have no priority on safety.
Pros
employee are friendly
Cons
long hours- mess up your pay all the time.
The Calgary Division is THE WORST
Purchasing Agent/ Client Care Rep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2018
When I started working for this company, it was a really exciting place with lots to learn and new opportunities for growth. The Client Care manager really cared about the people working in their department and the well being of their employees, everything from mental, physical, emotional, AND FINANCIAL well being were important to them. When it came time for raises this manager understood the workload and ensured we were compensated well for the hard work. The manager also made efforts for the team to get together for team building events to make sure we had our morale up, no matter how horrible the day was..unfortunately like that manager and a few of some other really great managers that started there, they eventually moved on or got let go for basically not agreeing with the biggest joke of that division the ..almighty new president, the new client care manger did not care about the team despite the fact that she was under the management of our previous client care manager who is the epitome of what a true leader looks like she learned nothing and destroyed whatever morale the team had left. This new “manager” got their promotion ( because they were the oldest out of all of us and the president didn’t think a younger person had the skills to lead the department..little did he know the youngest person was practically doing all of the so called Manager’s job) the new “manager” is absolutely useless, perhaps if they focused less on what their next meal is and eating or making their team run out to get them food, or how about going out for countless smoke breaks, better  more... yet how about the constant socializing with upper management kissing their behinds, then maybe, just maybe they might have time to do their actual job. For the most part her main concern is what people use in the kitchen, heaven forbid you use some milk for your morning cereal or coffee, heaven forbid you use more than a drop of honey , heaven forbid you touch any office supplies because this person will come down on you like a hawk! Why? because HR
unbeknownst to everyone at the office named this individual as the office and kitchen police. But …if you can have a look in her desk drawer you will find all sorts of goodies guess from where??.. the kitchen. While that so called manager does all that, the client care team itself is getting slammed with a high volume of phone calls, usually by customers complaining about the fact that they have left the “ client care manager” multiple voicemail's and have not received any call backs, when ever calls are transferred to the “manager” she refuses to take the call because they are not “prepared to take the call, causing customers to get more aggravated and call back again to yell at client care some more. The whole team is terrified of that manager, she would yell at you or embarrass you in front of the whole office for simple mistakes rather than taking you into their office and having a proper conversation, you know like a professional manager would. Don’t even thinks of going to HR that’s why this has gone on for so long, why you may ask, because the HR head honcho is BFF’s with the Client Care Manager and anyone that has gone against them well guess what they don’t work there anymore. Have I mentioned the amount of people that have gone on stress leave at this company because the people that run this place are mentally and emotionally abusive and everyone is too afraid to speak out. I also worked for the purchasing department which is another joke. The purchasing department for this division has one of the lowest fill rates in all of the company, for people that have been doing that job for 12 plus years it embarrassing, they are not a team and will throw anyone under the bus any chance they can in order to move up.. watch out for the “Senior” purchaser she has the team lead by the balls and even he is to afraid to speak up . Unfortunately most people that work there are two faced, mainly for job security purposes which is so sad but true, what was once an amazing company to work for, has quickly dwindled down to the most toxic place to work at... this is only for this division in Calgary I can’t speak that for the entire company I’ve had the privilege going to other divisions and they seem to have their stuff together and function really great especially Barnaby's division really great people there!
Pros
learned lots
Cons
long hours, terrible management, president of division is an idiot
great place to work
Sales Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC22 January 2018
I really enjoy working at Core-Mark
You do not work stats and get 3 weeks to start. car allowance and gas card is given and the management is outstanding.
Pros
management, great company
Cons
starter wage is ok
Disaster
PRODUCT CATEGORY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 December 2017
Watch your back, scapegoating others is a way of life here. Nobody takes responsibility for their own actions. And under no circumstances do they care about the customers best interest, only their bottom line.

Management a dissaster throughout, at every level.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Culture, pay, backstabbing
Productive and rewarding
Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON25 July 2017
Core Mark was a new business and I was hired from the beginning. I enjoyed putting my skills of logistics skills to use. I managed over 20 employees and scheduled them to deliver products to the food industry, I found the employees great to work with. The work was challenging and fulfilling. My typical day at work was scheduling drivers and routes, Safety and compliance of the fleet of trucks, licencing trucks and trailers, Log book screening for accuracy, stock rotation , customer service to our clients and driving deliveries as needed. I was also in charge of hiring drivers and road tests. The hours were sometimes long but I did not mind. The management was very good and enjoyable to work for, The hardest part for me was discipline actions toward my drivers, The most enjoyable part of work was that that there was life balance. I learned how to be diplomatic.
Pros
Salary and Benifits
Nice place to work at
sales development rep (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 May 2017
its a nice place to work at co workers are ice friendly and helping . Old management was great new management is not that great to work with . i would not want to work under that management .
Great
Prairies Canada Division Router & Payroll Officer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 March 2017
Learned a lot with the management team. Hands on training. Great software programs. Very patient with training and potential to move ahead with company was great.
Enjoyable place to work at
Delivery Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 February 2017
Shifts not matching with life now looking for alternatives
Good christmas parties and working environment working on latest equipment overall good experience
Would not refer anyone to this company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON7 February 2017
I would not refer anyone to Core-Mark. Poor management, too much favoritism and not enough leadership.
No real advancement opportunities.
Worst company I have ever worked for.
Benefits
Cons
Poor in all
Very nice work environment
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON2 January 2017
I joined Core Mark on a short term contract and had a wonderful experience working there, helpful coworker and supportive management, commute was the toughest part but I wa sfilling in for a short contract so it was okay.
Pros
Healthy work environment
Cons
Long Commute
Not a good company
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON8 December 2016
Management at Milton division is a joke. If you kiss their behinds all day long then you might get somewhere otherwise forget it. They bring in their friends and make them your boss eventhogh u been there for many many years and their friends have no experience
Pros
Vacation time and paid sick days
Not a great place
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON4 December 2016
In my area their is a lot of favoritism and the management is very unorganized. Worse place I have ever worked at least in my view. Looking for other aspects.
Pros
Cons
Unorganized
Worst comany ever to work for..
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 November 2016
This company is poorly mismanaged. You will be told to do things the company way then they will use it against.the union is broken and the drivers there will turn in each other in a heart beat
Pros
Good money
Cons
No one knows what there doing there
Worst place to work too much politics
Accounting -(CONTRACT POSITION) (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON31 July 2016
Worst manager and racist manager. Long hours of work with no appreciation at all.

Work work and work.

Manager dont know the job and expect a lot from staff

Manager think they own the company ,treat the staff as slaves, and HR is also worst play politics with employee, you never know when you will be thrown out
Cons
Its a bit difficult to get use too, but not boring to work at!
driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 July 2016
Great benefits and decent pay! The management is pretty easy to talk too, you get to travel all day and get paid to exercise. You can even choose to drive out of town for a route. But the only bad thing I can think of is this company, is route bidding is based on seniority.
Pros
union
Cons
pyhsical work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Core-Mark International, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Core-Mark International, Inc. Reviews by Location