Core-Mark International, Inc. Employee Reviews

Old school management
Merchandiser, Territory Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  British Columbia15 February 2019
negative feed back
no positive reinforcement
ask you to lie to customers
ask you to work when not scheduled
no work and life balance
senior staff are not ethical
Pros
Great territories
Cons
Bad senior staff /out of touch/old school train of thought
Great company
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2019
Is a great company but most of the general staff have an attitude problem too much gossip in the workplace. The management is friendly, the supervisors always willing to help
Hard work. No job security. Unorganized routes & Zero accountability from management.
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC16 January 2019
Management needs a complete overhaul.
Despite their claims at company meetings to improve communication, overall work environment and route & maintenance organization, this is not the case.

Non management are just numbers, nothing more. Do what your told and don't express concerns otherwise you'll pay for it in one way or another.
Negativity is always pin pointed, and its rare you'll get a "Good Job!" or receive any appreciation for the extra mile you'll put in to make up for the constant mistakes throughout the company.

There is no room for advancement and very poor salary. Despite their claims.
Drivers & warehouse employees wages are well below competitors rates.

Day to day can be very stressful with next to no solution from management. "It is what it is" and "We'll pass it along" are phrases you'll hear spoken consistently.
If you're considering applying for a position with Core-mark, rethink this move. You'll go nowhere fast have have very little to feel proud of.
Pros
Paid hotels. Good Benefits, 3 days off a week.
Cons
Forever changing management with zero accountability, All stats are worked, unorganized routes.
Will not recommend anyone to work here
Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 December 2018
Management is a huge MESS!!! No job security, no work life balance, exploitation of working hours, forced and threatened to work overtime without being paid for it or you will lose your job :(
Customer Service Representative, Milton ON
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON26 November 2018
Management needs a complete overhaul. Despite their claims to improving overall work environment and atmosphere, this is not the case. Non management are just numbers, nothing more. There is no room for advancement and very poor salary. This company claims to be competitive with salaries, however in customer service this is not the case. Very stressful with next to no compensation. If you're considering applying for a position in customer service, rethink this move. You'll go nowhere fast.
Pros
Co-workers are a great team despite poor management.
Cons
Poor, poor, poor wages. Not even a Christmas bonus.
Productive work place
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 November 2018
Working for Core Mark was both rewarding and trying depending on the day and the workload. But, everyone worked their hardest to make sure everything was done and product was sent out on time even if we were working with older equipment, the job got done. Everyone I worked with was always a team despite frustration when unexpected events occurred such as the conveyor for moving everything to be palletted breaking down and every pallette having to be made in their work area, everyone came together, even the managers.
Pros
Team environment, good benefits
Cons
No career advancement, more work for no extra pay
Great Employees, Poor Management!
doesn't matter (Current Employee) –  Alberta14 August 2018
I have to say that the majority of employees who work here are fantastic! They are a very tight family as they have to be, as they need to constantly support each other as management is so poor.

When I was brought on I was told that old toxic management were all let go and were trying to bring on new employees who can fix the poor culture.
They brought in a new DP and eventually a new HR Manager. Those two people are probably the worse, most toxic, and most disrespecting people I have ever met. All they clearly care about is money. They bring with them poor communication, mismanagement of employees, and an old school mentality of hierarchy with poor engagement.

Management needs to lead by example and create a positive working environment for employees to perform at their best capacity - which does not happen at the Alberta location. I have heard this is similar across all divisions in the US and Canada.

My advice is to run... run far away!
Canadian Wholesale Disaster...Your next Job will be Better
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Milton, Ontario16 July 2018
Core-Mark is a wholesaler of products for the convenience channel in the U.S.& Canada. The reputation of the companies service has long been a concern for the industry in the Ontario, Canada market place. There are some good people there but the general sales management is poor and customers suffer. I worked there as a sales representative for years and tried to make a difference, my customers appreciated the effort but fighting weak management practices, poor customer service policies, changing pricing and a lack of customer care worked against the sales focus.

Core-Mark tries to do too much and thus fails. The focus should be on WHOLESALING. Once a few general management (manager) changes occur the Ontario Division could recover. If you are considering Core-Mark as a long time career, re-evaluate your options. Short term roles to gain experience are fine but be prepared to work with tough leadership if you want to
stay "on the bus".

The salary is below average as wholesalers are not known for their high wages. It's not a profitable business trucking water, salt and cigs to convenience stores.

Harley Davidson changed and Core-Mark can too.
A FRESH approach is needed but if you apply, come to work, put in your time and have a High School Diploma - you may even become
General Manager someday.

Keep your head low, your mouth shut and don't try to improve the process and you will be fine. There will always be jobs available at Core-Mark.
Pros
Flexibility, inspirational sales meetings, summer BBQ's.
Cons
General Sales Manager. Management by Intimidation, Bonus Sturture, low salary
Great Place to work at
WAREHOUSE PERSON (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2018
A normal day at work is usually a long day of hard work. working in a fast paced environment all day but when you understand the job it becomes pretty easy.
Meh
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON26 May 2018
They do things in the strangest way possible. Everything they do makes the distribution process far more difficult than it needs to be. The management certainly needs to work on maximizing efficiency
Pros
Not much
Cons
Boring bland work place. no effort to enjoy work at all

Want to know more about Core-Mark International, Inc.?

Ask a question
It was my dream job and company until I was thrown under the bus several times recently
Sales Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 May 2018
I loved working here until some management changes in the last quarter of 2017 and was consequently treated very poorly even after doing my work for almost three years at the time. I learned that if you complain, stand up for yourself or challenge them in any way, you will lose in the end. At the end of the day, they're an international company (Headquartered in the U.S.) who just want you to do what they tell you to do, shut up and suck it up. Jobs are termed as "salaried", yet we submit hours and are paid by the hour. It is an expectation to put in overtime as necessary but not be compensated as jobs are classified as "salary". I had the best boss, we had a super relationship, she was always caring and helpful and I considered myself lucky to be working with her, sadly that changed and she turned on me, once again, my heart has been broken.
Wonderful Place
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 April 2018
Working with them was very enjoyable. Has gained extensive experience in terms of customer contact and handling of their problems. As well as the training program of the institution was very effective and useful by all standards. We worked all year round and collected donations. On the management side, it was their concern to satisfy customers and apply all standards to their satisfaction. And was always keen to communicate between employees and provide a good environment so that the employee feels that he runs his own work and is keen to perfect his work and complete his duties and responsibilities to the fullest. The enterprise also has been adopting the style of stimulation and encouragement of staff and this has undoubtedly had a significant impact on the performance of employees.
High pressure
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Ontario16 March 2018
Very high expectations, with little support. Support and communications are very week. No opportunity to move forward. Staff is very frustrated and the environment is not good.
Worst work environment ever
Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 March 2018
It is amazing this company even stays in business. After a large financial fiasco the people responsible for it are still employed. If you are seeking employment there bring your red nose and oversized shoes cause it's a circus. Your opinion will not matter and if you think you there to help with the change you are not you will be used and manipulated until you are burned out. This has been by far my worst work experience ever.
Pros
Cons
Never done working.
Training was ok. After that good luck on making anyone accountable. Weekly meetings were not useful nonon efollowed through.. my mgr was never around
Sales Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB18 February 2018
I asked for some progress with issues nothing changed in 3 weeks. My mgr would let me know at last min wasn t coming with me. Taking the day off.
Working for a company where everyone works together and is accountable is number 1 for me, if this is important to you don t bother coming here.
Pros
Friday always comes.
Cons
Long hrs, lots of driving
Warehouse
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 February 2018
I was a warehouse employee, The harder you work the less hours they give you. The Operations Manager at the Winnipeg location has no idea what he is doing. He spends all his time in his office and only comes out to the warehouse when he oviously has been talked to by the division president. low wages and they have no priority on safety.
Pros
employee are friendly
Cons
long hours- mess up your pay all the time.
The Calgary Division is THE WORST
Purchasing Agent/ Client Care Rep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2018
When I started working for this company, it was a really exciting place with lots to learn and new opportunities for growth. The Client Care manager really cared about the people working in their department and the well being of their employees, everything from mental, physical, emotional, AND FINANCIAL well being were important to them. When it came time for raises this manager understood the workload and ensured we were compensated well for the hard work. The manager also made efforts for the team to get together for team building events to make sure we had our morale up, no matter how horrible the day was..unfortunately like that manager and a few of some other really great managers that started there, they eventually moved on or got let go for basically not agreeing with the biggest joke of that division the ..almighty new president, the new client care manger did not care about the team despite the fact that she was under the management of our previous client care manager who is the epitome of what a true leader looks like she learned nothing and destroyed whatever morale the team had left. This new “manager” got their promotion ( because they were the oldest out of all of us and the president didn’t think a younger person had the skills to lead the department..little did he know the youngest person was practically doing all of the so called Manager’s job) the new “manager” is absolutely useless, perhaps if they focused less on what their next meal is and eating or making their team run out to get them food, or how about going out for countless smoke breaks, better  more... yet how about the constant socializing with upper management kissing their behinds, then maybe, just maybe they might have time to do their actual job. For the most part her main concern is what people use in the kitchen, heaven forbid you use some milk for your morning cereal or coffee, heaven forbid you use more than a drop of honey , heaven forbid you touch any office supplies because this person will come down on you like a hawk! Why? because HR
unbeknownst to everyone at the office named this individual as the office and kitchen police. But …if you can have a look in her desk drawer you will find all sorts of goodies guess from where??.. the kitchen. While that so called manager does all that, the client care team itself is getting slammed with a high volume of phone calls, usually by customers complaining about the fact that they have left the “ client care manager” multiple voicemail's and have not received any call backs, when ever calls are transferred to the “manager” she refuses to take the call because they are not “prepared to take the call, causing customers to get more aggravated and call back again to yell at client care some more. The whole team is terrified of that manager, she would yell at you or embarrass you in front of the whole office for simple mistakes rather than taking you into their office and having a proper conversation, you know like a professional manager would. Don’t even thinks of going to HR that’s why this has gone on for so long, why you may ask, because the HR head honcho is BFF’s with the Client Care Manager and anyone that has gone against them well guess what they don’t work there anymore. Have I mentioned the amount of people that have gone on stress leave at this company because the people that run this place are mentally and emotionally abusive and everyone is too afraid to speak out. I also worked for the purchasing department which is another joke. The purchasing department for this division has one of the lowest fill rates in all of the company, for people that have been doing that job for 12 plus years it embarrassing, they are not a team and will throw anyone under the bus any chance they can in order to move up.. watch out for the “Senior” purchaser she has the team lead by the balls and even he is to afraid to speak up . Unfortunately most people that work there are two faced, mainly for job security purposes which is so sad but true, what was once an amazing company to work for, has quickly dwindled down to the most toxic place to work at... this is only for this division in Calgary I can’t speak that for the entire company I’ve had the privilege going to other divisions and they seem to have their stuff together and function really great especially Barnaby's division really great people there!
Pros
learned lots
Cons
long hours, terrible management, president of division is an idiot
great place to work
Sales Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC22 January 2018
I really enjoy working at Core-Mark
You do not work stats and get 3 weeks to start. car allowance and gas card is given and the management is outstanding.
Pros
management, great company
Cons
starter wage is ok
Disaster
PRODUCT CATEGORY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 December 2017
Watch your back, scapegoating others is a way of life here. Nobody takes responsibility for their own actions. And under no circumstances do they care about the customers best interest, only their bottom line.

Management a dissaster throughout, at every level.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Culture, pay, backstabbing
Hard work = good pay
Full-time, Truck driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2017
I enjoy working at this company it has provided me with a lot of opportunities. If you work hard they pay you accordingly. I would recommend this job to anyone who is ready and willing to put in the work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Core-Mark International, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Core-Mark International, Inc. Reviews by Location