Cora

Cora Employee Reviews for Line Cook

great place to work if your into a fast past, and likes to learn how to cook on a flat top. Great employees to work with. positive people. Can handle being under pressure.
I worked at coras during high school. Full time during the summers and part time during school. This job has the best managers and job culture. You could get along with everyone even in the most stressful situations
Enjoyable and rewarding work, very fast paced and can be stressful at times. However overall it is a good environment to work in. Would recommend to anyone seeking work in the kitchen industry.
good crew leader and staff, learned how to prepare breakfast dishes in a line cook setting, hardest part was the tempature from the grills, i enjoyed it here
-Lots of learning to do off the bat, and you continue to learn & grow as you move through the stations -You work for minimum wage plus tips out which is skimped on by management (you get between 15-60 biweekly depending on the season) -New menus come out all the time without warning and you have to learn them in less than a week regardless of how many shifts you have before the launch if you even have any shifts before then -Poor opportunities for growth and you do not get a pay raise, even if you work there for years & are the reason people come back to visit -The customers can be really interesting to talk to -Employee turn over is high and management does not want to pay to train new employees even though busy seasons come up without us being prepared to handle the situations -Holidays are mandatory to work, including Mother's Day -We serve food that is out of season because head office makes it so, then food is returned to be replaced by something ripe which is a waste of time, money, and effort and does not make sense logically -Machines stay broken for a long time because managers are cheap and will go as long as they can with broken fridges, ice makers, blenders, and other essential devices necessary to make food
It is nice to work everyday,i have learned how to be clean and neat to every station i worked. The management is good and they orient employees before they hire them.
Time management is essential to get orders and food quality at its best and in a timely fashion. How to use teamwork and communication to be an effective crew. Management is good very friendly and accommodating. Learning how to do the job on busy days when I first started and the techniques required to make certain foods. Is the staff everyone is nice to be around!
Pros
discounted meals
Cons
not enough hours
Cora's is very understanding and try to work with your schedule as much as they can. The hours are long and they always make sure you get a break. They push you to the best of your abilities and praise you if you had a great day.
management was really helpful and welcome to train. the hardest part of the job was when it was closing time and an individual will walk in 5 minutes till when we close.
My time at Cora Breakfast & Lunch has been a great learning experience, from the time I started when I was just in high school to my last day just recently this July. The people were amazing and full of energy, and it was a great time working with them.
Pros
Free lunches, short busy work days.
Cons
Often short staffed
Cora's is a good place for first-time line cook and prep cook experience. Ability to learn quickly is an asset as you learn while being on the line or at the prep table. Fast-paced, moderate-pressure environment when orders are flowing in. Must be comfortable working under pressure during rushes and on a cramped line. Team-work environment is positive. Management is decent.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Fast-paced, high pressure during rushes
The people were so amazing and supportive all of the time, it was a family oriented place, very thankful it got to be my first god, side from the hard times, i enjoyed working there.
Pros
One free meal and pop a day, amazing environment
Cons
management was sticky
While I did enjoy this job (the cooking aspect), I did not enjoy the work environment. Kitchen staff were unreliable and there were many times myself and another new worker would be stuck running the kitchen during breakfast rush by ourselves. Waitstaff treated kitchen staff disrespectfully. It was a hostile atmosphere. That being said, I learned alot at this job. I learned how to run a kitchen. I learned how to calmly deal with stressful and hectic situations. I learned knife skills and cooking skills. A typical day at work for me would be as follows: I would be at work for 5:40 am and be ready and in the kitchen at 5:45am. I would begin by turning on the flattops and waffle irons. I would get a large pot of water boiling for the poached eggs. Turn on the panini press and toaster. I would then get a pot of Hollandaise into the bain marie. I would grease down the flattops and start cooking potatoes, bacon, and sausages. I would prep each station and stock ingredients and products necessary for the day. In between all of this, I would prepare orders for our early customers. I usually opened by myself. The other kitchen staff would come in around 7-9am at which point I would switch to the Benedict station and the lunch station. However, I was trained to work all 4 stations when needed. The lunch and benedict station cosisted of making benedicts, sandwiches, the Soup of the Day and the Quiche of the Day (both of which I had to think of a recipe on my own). At the end of my shift (usually around noon), I would clean up my station and make sure it was well stocked for the - more...
Pros
Free meal and coffee, opportunity to learn new skills, fast paced environment, consistently busy
Cons
Hostile work environment, awful management
its a best breakfast place in Canada. I must say it has all varieties u want and everything is fresh. they have fresh fruit salads and crapes also poached eggs etc salary is very low and no health benifits
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Mornings started at 9 am I'd set up and prep my station, grab anything for others if needed such as eggs, fruits or veggies, and pancake mix. At the end of the day I would take out the next days supplies, clean my station and restock line. I learned that working in an environment that doesn't change after a certain amount of time isn't good for you emotionally or physically. The management changed when I worked there, they cleaned up the place but there always seemed to be something wrong. They'd get it fixed but in a week or two it wouldn't work. The hardest part of the job was working with the guy next to me. He was in charge of chits and because I was at the end of the line in a small space was tough to get by during a rush. Plus, working with him was difficult enough, he wouldn't allow me to help the way the person before him had in dishing out plates. I tried to talk it out, but between two jobs and full time classes, the time came when I couldn't deal. The enjoyable part of the job, small space made it easy to communicate with the line.
not a bad to place to work but just couldn't afford to live in Calgary at the salary. so I moved back to grande prairie. kitchen manager had problems with communication learned nothing much
Cora's in Whitby has the greatest staff I have had the pleasure to work with. They were all very friendly and respectful. I was so impressed with their time management skills in the kitchen and how well everyone worked together as a team. The management was friendly and more then fair. With every shift you get a free meal (awesome!) and free coffee/tea. The hardest part of my job was finding my "groove" and learning all of the different dishes off by heart. Working there really inspired me to dream about opening up a franchise like Cora's as the restaurant had such a "family" feel to it. Everyone knew their place, what to do, and when to joke. Fantastic!
Pros
Free meals, great people, learn to cook, off early in day
Cons
Early mornings, sweltering kitchen in summer
During the week at Cora's, the pace can vary from very slow to fairly busy. The weekends are another matter, typically very busy. As a line cook, there is never a shortage of things to do. I have learned valuable skills for the kitchen while working at Cora's that will stay with me for a long time, and met a lot of people. It is a very good job for introducing you to the different aspects of working on a line, and preparing you for bigger positions. The management is great. My bosses are friendly and approachable. They are very accommodating and will do whatever they can to help you. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the stress. if I'm closing or working on a weekend, I can find it a bit overwhelming. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that I get to work with so many amazing people. They really do make my day, and they more than make up for any downfalls.
served breakfast and lunch, alot of prep work, learned how to spin crepes and make different types of dishes, the management was impeccible, all co-workers worked as a team, hardest part of the job was on an extremely busy day someone might not show up but that rarely happened, learned alot about cooking from the owner, made some great frendships with the people I worked with
Pros
free meals, no real breaks but when it was not busy you could sit down for a bit or go for a smoke
Cons
the only con was that the establishment closed otherwise I would still be there
Originally hired on during time of need, left previous job to help out management and ownership, Owners did not honor agreement 1 week of the 6 weeks I was employed, recently. Walk in to prep, cleaning, lunch rush and close. Co-workers Kitchen side the only real upside to the job. Over all never working for this corporation again.
Pros
1 10$ meal alloted.
Cons
Ownership would not honor thier words.
I would cook on the line, take daily produce/frozen order. Keep a clean and organized area. Learned how to make soups and other products i have never done before. Great team enviroment. Hardest part of the day would be lunch and weekend mornings