Cora

Cora Employee Reviews in Kelowna, BC

A typical day at work would involve opening the kitchen. Turning on all the equipment in the restaurant, not just the kitchen. Identify any immediate prep that needed to be done and then create a prep-list for the day when others would start. If the morning wasn't busy I would create a fruit display and begin prep. On a busy day we would serve anywhere from 500-700 people in about 5 hours. You had to be on your A game every day. I was able to work all 4 stations with excellent skill, and was able to help out anyone who needed it. I learned what fast-paced environment really meant. I learned how to communicate really well with my co-workers and how to deal with chaos. Whether it was servers making mistakes or us, we were almost always able to put food out within 15-20minutes of people ordering. Even on days when we had 20-30 tickets up at once. We learned to work as a team, very well. I learned how to carve fruit into beautiful art. The management was okay. Our owners were new to the restaurant business and didn't always know what was best, but insisted on doing it against the request of our manager. The kitchen managers were both very good, and fun people to work with. Both had been working in restaurants for a long time and knew what needed to be done and how to do it. All of my co-workers were very capable cooks. We all got along well and worked hard together. I was the youngest guy on staff, and I was the trainer, who they all respected because I worked hard and knew what I was doing. Sometimes a few guys would get flustered and we would have to send them off - more...
Pros
50% off meals, free drinks, free soup. Fun staff
Cons
Gossip. I hate gossip.
It was a fast paced busy restaurant with early hours and being done early in the afternoon. Gave me a lot more experience as a server and sped up my service speed considerably. Most servers were a lot of fun to work with and we created a well oiled machine when we got into a rhythm. Hardest part sometimes was the cleaning and closing if it was busy and had to sweep, mop, seat, serve, take payments, cash out almost on our own by the end of the day. I would work at another Cora again if given the chance now that I live in another city.
Pros
Free soup.
Cons
Sometimes too busy.
I have been working here for two years and ongoing I have full commitment staying longer just love my staff and its place I want come to everyday! Cora is amazing all I got say about it!
Pros
Great tips and benefits
Cons
Gets slow in fall and winter
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Cora?