Cora logo
Cora

Cora Employee Reviews in Burlington, ON

Work-life balance

got me my start in the kitchen

Amazing culinary start for a passionate cook with bigger dreams. Will help to understand the flow of a breakfast and lunch restaurant at peak hours. Has helped me decide to direction i would like to take with future breakfast, lunch and dinner restaurants.

Poor FOH Management

This was a job where you got underpaid for the work that you did. As a server you were expected to host, serve, take payments, clean the tables, and do our dishes... I did many many things that were management worthy! We were rarely thanked or rewarded for a great effort or job well done... Communication between management and staff was aweful. They have poor people skills and very poor attitude... There was no proper FOH training... We were constantly be-littled and told we made too much money. Customers notice and aren't happy and staff is fed up at this location!! I would NOT recommend working here!!

Pros

Cons

Poor management/owner

Horrible working environment

This is the worst company I have ever worked for. The owner and management don't care about the staff at all. Management is unorganized and don't know anything about managing. If you have a substance abuse problem, like to be told you make way too much money, have staff bully you without any action being taken and having management take all the hours, well then this is the job for you. This restaurant is going downhill fast. Customers aren't happy and staff is fed up. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant for employment as well as a place to eat.

Pros

Cons

Bad owner Bad management

Poorly run by owners/managers

Very fast paced, absolutely no time or chance for a break or any thanks, tips very poor, servers payout 3% of their ring outs to owner for distribution to BOH staff , BOH would get.050 or 50 cents an hour or $5 per shift. Owner / management did not know staffs jobs nor did they help you out very high turnover of staff no one wanted to work for them, I recommend not to apply

Awful. Bad management. Poor salary.

They pay you less than what you should be receiving. Management is awful. He does not give days off and when calling in sick you will receive a nasty response and overall not understanding.

Pros

Free toast and jam.

Cons

Long hours. Can't take days off unless you are hospitalized.

Stressful Environment

While I did enjoy this job (the cooking aspect), I did not enjoy the work environment. Kitchen staff were unreliable and there were many times myself and another new worker would be stuck running the kitchen during breakfast rush by ourselves. Waitstaff treated kitchen staff disrespectfully. It was a hostile atmosphere. That being said, I learned alot at this job. I learned how to run a kitchen. I learned how to calmly deal with stressful and hectic situations. I learned knife skills and cooking skills. A typical day at work for me would be as follows: I would be at work for 5:40 am and be ready and in the kitchen at 5:45am. I would begin by turning on the flattops and waffle irons. I would get a large pot of water boiling for the poached eggs. Turn on the panini press and toaster. I would then get a pot of Hollandaise into the bain marie. I would grease down the flattops and start cooking potatoes, bacon, and sausages. I would prep each station and stock ingredients and products necessary for the day. In between all of this, I would prepare orders for our early customers. I usually opened by myself. The other kitchen staff would come in around 7-9am at which point I would switch to the Benedict station and the lunch station. However, I was trained to work all 4 stations when needed. The lunch and benedict station cosisted of making benedicts, sandwiches, the Soup of the Day and the Quiche of the Day (both of which I had to think of a recipe on my own). At the end of my shift (usually around noon), I would clean up my station and make sure it was well stocked for the -

Pros

Free meal and coffee, opportunity to learn new skills, fast paced environment, consistently busy

Cons

Hostile work environment, awful management

Productive and good kitchen

Get you early hours of the morning preparing for the morning. Turning on all equipment. Cooking food and prepping the line for breakfast.I have learned to work productively in a fast paced environment where orders have to be quick and accurate.My co-workers are hard workers who are efficient and resourceful.Hardest part of the job is learning to adapt to new menu changes.Most enjoyable part of the job is having fun with my c-workers.

Pros

free lunches, laid back

Cons

long hours, huge rushes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cora. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement