Cooper Equipment Rentals Employee Reviews

Poor, inexperienced management *CALGARY*
Employee (Former Employee) –  Alberta5 February 2019
Management is very untrustworthy.

Safety is not a concern for the customers.

Extremely two-faced management.

Incredible team atmosphere when management is not involved.
Pros
Employees are close knit family, when management isn’t involved.
Cons
Management will drive this company into the ground in the Alberta market.
Poor management
Parts/Service (Former Employee) –  Eastern Ontario16 January 2019
This company has a lot of problems, they bought out SMS Rents and it's gone downhill every since. They like to brag about "The Cooper Difference" but the only difference was things got worse.

As for the location I worked at, management was non-exsistant. They wouldnt make decisions no matter how small; lazy and pass the buck is how it was operated. You can reach out to other management within the company as much as you want regarding problems, but it was obvious nobody cared.

I'd put Cooper in the top two worst managed places I've ever worked.
Pros
Care free environment, nobody cared about anything.
Cons
Nobody cared about anything, including management
Customer focused company- Calgary management team terrible
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2018
The company itself has a good customer focused business model, the Calgary management team however... very inexperienced -people put into roles they have no business being in. Dispatch that has never been in a truck let alone know how one drives and it's capabilities. If you like disorganization, driving ill-maintained equipment and told to drive it or else ( Hey it is your license- do whatever), then by all means apply. I for one have a good relationship with DOT that I will not have any company ruin it for me. Used to be a decent place to come to work every day. Wasn't towards the end of my time there. Lots of turnover, they get rid of the good ones and keep the bad ones. There are better companies to drive for.
Pros
Got to be on the road to stay away from the in house drama
Cons
- Low pay, variable hours, inexperienced dispatch, too much city work, no proper HOS reset at times, ill maintained equipment, safety non-existent
fast pace work environment commented staff
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2018
company is great i was bless to work there in a fast pace environment heavy equipment department is well experience i enjoy my journey at cooper equipment rentals
Pros
hoilday lunches lots of overtime
Cons
To many personal friendship
Would not recommend
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2018
There are good things about Cooper but in the Calgary region it is very poorly managed. My commissions were never where I was told they would be and this was only one of the false truths that I realized after being hired. Very selfish and kind of immaturely run. I would pass on these guys or at least have everything in writting.
Pros
Company Truck, low hours on rental fleet
Cons
Low pay, no trust, does not listen to customer feedback, regional managers, low RRSP match, lacks professionalism, high turn over
Excellent work environment, lots of room for internal growth
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 September 2018
Cooper takes care of their employees, and management is extremely fair and provides a great work environment. Great benefits and compensation. Equipment is high quality and safety is highly valued.
bad
Class 1 driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 May 2018
not good place to work manager is bias equipment not safe and not well maintained long hrs no overtime straight wage no training
Cons
bad managment
Started off great and quickly realized why am I working here
Rentals (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2018
Corporate praises the Cooper Way. You will eventually realize that Unfortunately they- meaning upper management and owners do not back up what they preached.
In the beginning it seemed like a great place to work . Once your past the honeymoon period things change and not in a positive manner.
Watch your back !
I would definitely not recommend a family member or friend to apply for a career here.
Pros
Some great people to work along side/good benefits
Cons
Management / if you’re not accepted into the club you will not be around
They'll take care of you
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2018
Be ready to work 11-12 hours a day, especially if you're a mechanic. The hours are long, the customers can be impatient, but the relationships you form with your co-workers are unlike any other job I've had. As long as you stay on task, and work hard, Cooper will take care of you.
Pros
Room to advance, paid training, clear management structure
Cons
long hours, impeccibly high standards
Worked for this companies new location.
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 September 2017
Worked for this companies new location, was put with another extremely Unexperienced technician who got the job from knowing somebody obviously "this is a regular routine here". I myself have many years of Technician experience and have no idea how this person would be hired.. the new manager at this location also very unexperienced is an okay person but a horrible manager..

WARNING
If you don't be friends with these people you will be let go.

This is a freinds only environment.
Pros
Decent pay.
Cons
Bad management, very experienced techs
enjoyable
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 December 2016
its an enjoyale fast paced environment to be in and to succeed in. the people here really want to make you climb the ladder and encourage you to move up
Good company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 February 2015
Good company, great family atmosphere. Long hours but good pay, great profit sharing. Management is generally friendly and understanding. The downtown branch was very upbeat.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cooper Equipment Rentals. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7