Conuma Coal Resources LTD

Conuma Coal Resources LTD Employee Reviews

Canada43 reviews
Good starting point
Pay is very good. Great first job, but poor management and HSE. Employees are definitely not a priority. The work environment is not bad. Review thoroughly your contract and SOPs and get to know your rights.
Great benefits. Good team
Some struggles with organization between department s. Excellent benefits from day one. Good team to be a part of. Good shift rotation healthy work life balance .
Love my job
I've been with Conuma Coal since 2016 and it has changed my life. I love working there thank you Conuma. I love haven a week on and a week off gives me time to spend with my family and go camping ect.
Pros
Bonus great staff to work with
Cons
Unsure how many more years open
Happy go lucky😊
I found over all the job was good learned lots from my peers and I found people for the most part were willing to take the time to teach you. Alot of green people but that is mining. Biggest down fall for me was working with supposedly experienced operator's that didnt help people but themselves they were bad for morale and will be the down fall of any good company.
It was a good experience
First time working at a coal processing facility. It definitely was dirty, physical work. Initially we were a week on week off, which was great, but then switched to 4 on 4 off which I didn't like due to my family life. Wages and benefits were decent, but a step down from my previous job. Not much to advance to it's all sorta the same, there was no trades options at the time. The folks I worked with weea blast and the supervisors were great
friendly environment to work
The coworkers were great. the training was minimal. the work was extensive. the work to life standards were very unfair. i believe that i was treated unfairly by the management.
Pros
ocassional extra time for cooking lunch
Fast paced work environment
It was close to home for a great balance between family and work place while living in the surrounding communities. I enjoyed the 7 x 7 work schedule.
Poor management team
Poor management lead to no accountability. Felt as though people were out to get my job right from day one. Old boys club and if you didn’t get along with them then good luck
Pros
Beautiful locations
Cons
Management, long hours and long days, commute from town, no phone reception at site
Great Opportunity for advancement
Although housing is not available at the mine site and is somewhat difficult to obtain in Chetwynd the work culture is very good and the opportunity for advancement is excellent with some effort and dilligence.
Started out good then not so much
Company used to be good , big slide in safety culture in passed year . People feel afraid to confront management about safety concerns . Pay is good but housing is expensive so unless you’re local you’ll be paying out the nose . No camp , no travel , busses used to transport to sites often broken down , no heat , etc . HR is often ineffective at resolving issues .
Great pay, horrible management
Pros:
- Excellent pay.

- Friendly co-workers.

- 12 hours a day.

- 1 week on, 1 week off.

- Wonderful owner (CEO), great guy!

Cons:

- Management was passive aggressive, rude, disrespectful, micro-managed, and set me up for failure by giving falsely granted poor grades as an excuse for dismissal.

- Management took requests from those that wished to try new things. They then set people up on machines they don't want to do out of spite and pettiness so they can laugh about it privately.

- Management never presented opportunity to various workers to prove their worth, knowledge and dedicated. Judgment was often based on favouritism, seniority and job status. If you were a regular worker, you will be treated poorly, yelled at, and belittled in front of co-workers. If you're a mechanic or someone else of importance, you'll be treated with respect and dignity.

Other thoughts:

- I really wish I could award 2 or even 3 stars overall. But due to how I was treated, regardless how amazing the owner is, I can't spare it or recommend working there to anyone wishing for some stability or job security. People work there mainly for the money because there is very little incentive to stick around for anything else.
Pros
Money
A Great Company to Work For
Conuma is a very enjoyable company to work for. They offer an excellent compensation package, and it is a great work atmosphere.

Lots of opportunity for learning and growth if you are willing to put the work in... Hard work and dedication are recognized, and rewarded.
Poor management
Dont worry about the lockers full of ppe , those r people that left before u guys , lol , workers couldnt leave that place fast enough ,I guess lol trrible management
Unsafe place to work
Unsafe place someone's gonna die soon, run down broken equipment! Zero advancement unless you kiss but, place is full of drug addicts, training department is a joke and non existant, not worth the risk.
Poor Management/ HR Willow Useless
7 on 7 off is great, bonuses are great. No maintenance scheduling whatsoever, no advancement opportunities, shifters are un qualified, they preach safety but are anything but. Human recourses at willow creek is a disgrace.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Safety not a priority, very poorly maintained equipment, no advancement opportunities, unskilled foreman’s
Just don’t do it.
It’s a lousy job and they abuse their authority since they know there is nothing else in the area. Be prepared to suck up a lot to management. The rock trucks are old and I often was told to operate trucks with broken safety equipment. Safety is in most companies vocab, these guys preach safety but often times will ignore it based on convenience.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Management, forced daily prayer sessions.
Great place to Work, Learn and Grow professionally
A typical workday for an admin staff such as myself starts at 7 am and ends at 4 pm Monday to Friday, giving you the evenings and weekends to relax and unwind. There are lots of new things to learn every day.

The multi-culture environment makes the workplace even more interesting. You would be surprised (in a good way) as to what you can learn from different cultures. Everyone here are very friendly and supportive giving you a reason and a chance to be a better person than you were the previous day.

The only disadvantage is the location of the Willow Mine. It is situated 30 minutes from Chetwynd towards Mackenzie and for those living outside of Chetwynd it may be a hassle to travel for work.

But hey, remember all good things come at a cost. In this scenario it is Travel.

If you are willing to travel for 30 min to 1 hour for work then rest assured you will be happy with the work environment, pay, etc.

It is an extreme pleasure working here; especially when you have so much room from growth and the pay is good as well.

it is for sure a great place to Work, Learn and Grow professionally.
Good startup company
Good place to work where growth is the key to success. Excellent startup opportunity for all whether skilled or not. Excellent mid-level managers who enable mine personnel to excel.
Dreadful atmosphere and safety
Work atmosphere is terrible. Workers police each other and call out on radio..production equipment get fixed before graders and other safety equipment
Pros
7 and 7
Cons
Everything else
Do not come and work for this company
They have many unqualified management people doing it wrong with no education at all. NO background checks, this is only a place for people with no manners and there is a huge politics,plus the town has nothing to offer. This company doesn't have IT best practices and a ransomware may happen anytime no every projects is delayed for no reason, the CFO is relying in the IT manager which is a huge risk due that there is nothing competitive here.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Work hard and spend your money of our town.
Worst mining operation I’ve ever seen!
All equipment is neglected most beyond the point of repair but they still run it (supervisor motto if you don’t run it someone else will )
More communication through texting and messenger than on the radio supervisors included!!

Operators bust there a** in equipment that should be in a scrap yard while management sits back and complains about not meeting targets.

The level of education and experience in middle management is non existent. Mine managers hiding in the corner until something goes wrong.Safety is non existent as well .. near misses and incidents get swept under the rug thinking it will go away. I’m sure if the ministry of mines knew half of what is going on there the gates would be closed .. if there was a complete middle management change from supervisor to mine management hr included it could be a good place to be until that happens I would not suggest working here at all ..
Pros
Cons
Not being able to put negative stars!!