Continental Currency Exchange Employee Reviews

Worst place to work ever
Teller (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON22 February 2019
The upper management does not know how to treat their employees right. Extremely unprofessional company and nepotism is very relevant here. Overall awful, do not work for them unless you don't mind being disrespected every day.
Pros
Experience with currencies
Cons
Upper management, unprofessional
Great positive work environment
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  LONDON,ON21 January 2019
Great place to work at, its fun and family-type environment. Best part about working here is dealing with different currencies, interaction with clients and getting to know about their travel experience. Every day is a new experience here. We've got the super cool boss, she is just amazing.!!
Pros
Freindly staff, Flexible shifts, Health benefits
Great, fun, learning experience
Customer service teller (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 January 2019
Great place to work at. The manager is great, very helpful, always smiling. The staff is great as well.You meet a lot of great people. It's fun to learn all the different currencies.
Hours are great too, very flexible. You get health, dental benefits, as well as life insurance.
Highly recommend it! :)
such a fun place to work at
full-time employee (Former Employee) –  cambridge, ontario21 January 2019
I've been working for Continental for a few years, and it's been a pleasure. I've met interesting people, both clients and co-worker, and I've grown a lot professionally throughout my time here.

There's a lot of opportunities to grow within the company and so much support to do so. There's also a great health/dental benefits package available, as well as monthly bonuses.
Easy going and fun environment
TELLER (Current Employee) –  LONDON ONTARIO21 January 2019
Working for continental currency exchange for the past 3 years has been an awesome experience. It has been very easy going, fun and lenient. With proper training tasks are easy to do and understand.
Overall Experience
Employee (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON17 January 2019
The job itself is very easy although there is no room for growth. Management in certain branches are not fair and never allow you to feel equal in the company.
Terrible management
Teller (Former Employee) –  London, ON27 December 2018
Horrible company to work for. Very cliquey. Management is brutal. No opportunity for advancement. Extremely unprofessional. Treat their employees like garbage.
A great company
Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Newmarket5 June 2017
Full time teller, responsible for customer service and transactions dealing with large amounts of cash. Responsible for opening and closing of kiosk which consisted of till and safe counts. Checked and updated exchange rates according to the Toronto Stock Exchange. Provided consultancy services to existing clients or prospect to guide them on money investments. Took on additional responsibilities which helped the company with marketing and advertising.
My Experience
Web Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON27 January 2017
Hence it is my first job i learnt a lot such as
time management,
workplace culture,
communication skills,
corporate style coding,
working as a team,
taking responsibility.
overall it this work experience in this company is remarkable.
Gives time to learn new Technologies
Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON7 November 2016
Before joining this company, I didn't no much about networking, web services, working in a Linux command line environment, bash scripting, database master slave replication and many more. In this firm, I got to know and understand many technologies which made me a complete Full Stack Developer.
Good part-time job while in school if you need to work
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 September 2016
I loved my team but the management was not great.
I will admit, this was the best part-time job initially, while I was still in school, I have ever had.
The downside is that management makes you personally liable for any mistakes/shortages that may occur during financial exchanges. For example, if the wrong exchange rate was used, the difference later would be taken out of your pay.
This can largely be avoided by being extremely cautious, which should be practiced anyway, as you are dealing with money.
Fast-Paced environment that was enjoyable to work
Foreign Exchange/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 July 2016
Continental Currency was enjoyable and educational to work in. Allowed me to learn a lot about worldwide currencies and build professional relationships with long term clients which made the transaction memorable.
poor management and long hours
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 July 2016
No support from management when needed as it is a call centre environment. Lots of opportunity for over time for volunteers but if not filled then mandatory over time.
Not Your Average Part Time Job
Teller (Former Employee) –  Ayr, ON10 March 2016
Continental Currency Exchange was a great job but it definitely was not a typical part time job. It is very challenging and there is a lot of information that you need to know, but the training that is provided is very extensive and they will make sure that you are comfortable with the position before you are left alone.
Good Work Environment
Teller (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON10 March 2016
I have worked at Continental Currency Exchange for the last 2 years and I really enjoy working here. There are a lot of senior staff within the company that are always willing to help out and answer any questions that come up. The staff members that I work with in the branch are very helpful and great to work with. They have recently added a great benefit package which has been very helpful. I have never had any problems getting hours and the shifts are great since I don't work later then 9 p.m. on weekdays and 6 p.m on weekends. Overall, its a good place to work.
Easy Work but Company Needs Improvement
Teller (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 October 2015
I'll start by saying the work is super easy and honestly anyone could do this job. There's a lot of codes and things but there's a whole book of cheat sheet if you can't remember one.

The company however, is super disorganized and unfairly balanced. A lot of people in this company have worked there forever and not everyone is super welcoming to newcomers. The district manager is the ceo/owners daughter and the few times I've actually seen her around she's been super awkward to talk to.

Head office will randomly decide to switch you or get rid of your position without notice. The company accountant just got sent to my branch as a full time teller because they decided they just didn't need an accountant anymore.

Full time employees do not get benefit which is a huge disappointment, not that you'll get the opportunity to move up while working here anyways.

It's a good job to have to gain experience, especially with cash handling, or to work hours while looking for proper full time work.
Pros
Decent hours, easy work
Cons
No opportunity for advancement, no benefits, no job security
Look elsewhere
Teller (Former Employee) –  Anonymous4 April 2015
Before applying to this job you should read the reviews first.
90% of the reviews written on this company are very truthful. The reviews that mention no negative points are most likely written by people that are part of the "clique" or the favorites of the company mentioned in other reviews.

Pros: Coworkers
Your coworkers are only people in this company that makes coming to work worth while. They start to become your family if you stay long enough. To sum it up you will have a few cool people to share your pain while you all get shafted by upper management.

Cons:
Upper Management...minus the word management and that is what you get at this company. People above you who have no idea how to manage people in a respectful or professional manner. The president on the other hand is very friendly and professional. Its very unfortunate that the people who run the company apart from him makes working here a mostly negative experience. The DM is mostly to blame. She rarely gets back to managers or employees with there concerns which is frustrating.

No benefits... need I say more? There is PAA which I find to be useless. You are reimbursed then taxed on it.

Consistency- Nothing is consistent. They tell you one thing then change it the next day which happens repeatedly to the point you don't even know how to appropriately handle certain situations. Wages are not consistent what so-ever. A new hire can be making more hourly compared to someone who has worked for the company for years. They encourage everyone to keep their wages private but you will soon find that there is
  more... no consistent starting rate. You will have to fight for an increase which is probably an insulting amount.

False promises- When hired they tell you about a great monthly bonus program. What they don't tell you is that they pay this out when ever they want and the numbers are no where near what you worked for. Any branch level problems are also dealt with when ever they get back to you sometimes months later... or never.

Most managers deal with things professionally but not all. Head office is probably the most unprofessional area in this company overall. There is a manual for working in this place but you will soon find out that anyone in head office will deal with issues in whatever way they see fit.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Upper management No benefits No conisistency False promises UNPROFESSIONAL
Unfair Treatment, Not Trustworthy, Underpaid, Unprofessional
Teller (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area22 March 2015
You will learn a lot about foreign exchange, creating client relationships (you'll even get some regulars you'll come to LOVE and look forward to seeing), and how the markets work, but be aware that this is a family-run business, and as nice as it is to be acknowledged by your name and not an employee number, it does have its downside. This small company possesses a lot of negative attributes such as: disrespect for others, nepotism, gossip, high-school clique mentality, bullying & belittling, favoritism, and empty promises.

On a branch level, if you ever have a problem there is an 'open door' policy, but how effective it is when you're dealing with family? How can you tell the owner that the district manager (who is also his daughter) has terrible managing skills, unprofessional, immature and is under qualified for the position? And if you have a problem with her, the next best person to escalate the problem to is yet again another family member. Who can you trust? Who can you talk to? Are there consequences to being ‘open’ and ‘honest’? This is very discouraging for staff, especially when they are always encouraged to be "open" and "honest". More or less staff are encouraged to just smile, nod and pretend everything is okay, meanwhile shoving anything negative under the rug.

Staff are underpaid and overworked, and this only seems to be getting worse. If you make even the slightest mistake, no time will be wasted in making sure you feel like an idiot or stupid from upper management (those who are above assistant and branch managers). The DM may sound nice and laugh
  more... a lot over the phone, but half the time you won’t know if she’s laughing with you…or at you. The structure for bonus always seems to be up for discussion, and whatever amount you may end up getting, is never really what you should be getting. Communication definitely lacks in this organization, whether it has to do with something internally, to announcements to the public on social media. Staff seems to find out news about the company they work for when clients do, or worse, they are sometimes told by clients what's going on with the company. This itself is extremely disorganized and unprofessional. Promotions and raises come to those who are "favourites", while everyone else has to put in double time and a half to even be recognized.

There are many individuals who wear multiple hats and who have multiple roles/titles, and they shouldn’t. You will often times have to deal with an individual of some sort from Head Office who can be on a momentary power trip of some sort and make you feel almost degraded by the way they talk to you. Emails and calls are at times answered long after the initial communication, and sometimes not answered at all.

One of the main upsides to this company are you fellow coworkers. In a branch you will always work as a team and you will always have help and/or support when needed. Assistant managers and branch managers are there to fight for you and will always strive to work their hardest to make the environment a pleasant and enjoyable one to work in. You will always enjoy coming to work and seeing your fellow coworkers who will soon become your friends.

This is not an environment who an individual can grow professionally. After being exposed to this unique type of environment, I personally will never recommend employment for a small/privately owned/family-run business like this company to anybody. A person would be better off just being a part time employee, that way they won’t get caught and fully involved in the web of all this negativity. You will see a wide range of reviews ranging from the very good to very bad. This is just based on my experience of being here, and if you are here long enough, you’ll see it for yourself too.
Pros
Fellow coworkers, hours, PAA knowledge on foreign exchange, travel knowledge
Cons
Lack of structure, horrible upper management skills, lack of loyalty and respect for employees, broken promises, underpaid, no benefits, unprofessional, unfair treatment, bullying
A Job filled with challenge, opportunity and math
Teller (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON18 March 2015
I worked at Continental Currency Exchange for over a year. They provided me with 2 raises in that time period, 1 after my probationary period, and the other 7 months in. This was much much faster than I had expected, and way better than my other jobs in the past. The job can demand a lot of you at times when it gets busy, but even that wasn’t so bad as we always had other staff members assisting. The hours are retail, so they aren’t bad at all, and management doesn’t expect much aside from amazing customer service - which should come natural to anyone who wants to deal with 20-60 people a day.

The atmosphere was absolutely amazing. We always joked around and had a great time, all while getting our work done. My fellow staff are definitely a highlight of my time at CCE, and a few of us have stayed friends since I left.

When I was interviewed for the job, I made the manager aware that I was a little hesitant with my skills. For a job dealing in currencies, I knew there would have to be lots of math. Luckily they have a great training program with 1 on 1 support, and the manager was great to make sure I was comfortable long before leaving me alone to deal with clients.

Upper management was great support for our branch as well. They provided marketing materials for campaigns, and gave us some freedom for local events in the community. The district manager also was a great tool, and could be called at any time of day on her cell. (Not sure what the other reviewer means, we got ahold of her at a moments notice every time we tried)

All in all, it was an amazing time
  more... and the only reason I left was because I want to go back to school and further my education.

P.S. There is a benefits program called a PAA (Personal Account or something). It does give you a substantial benefit that you can use to treat yourself to things like shopping, massages, or food every month. Very helpful to me! Also there is a bonus given every month for signups, which was made it easy to add an extra 10-15% onto my salary.
Pros
- The staff at the branch, dealing with happy clients, customer service, fantastic bonus structure (Made hundreds extra every month for newsletter signups), flexible hours, good support from management, good training program
Cons
can be stressful dealing with money and clients, some clients were rude, learning curve
Unproffesional and not worth the time.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Whitby9 January 2015
Essentially it is a mom and pop shop trying to act like a big corporation.

Probably one of the most unprofessional companies I have ever worked for. There have been multiply emails that have been sent to the 'wrong' person, out right belittling and scolding of employees via email that have been sent company wide (by the district manager and other management) and the high school clique theme is in full effect.

There is one district manager (who also is the daughter of the owners of the company, go figure), for all the 17 locations but good luck trying to a hold of her as an employee. Management has to chase her in order to get approval for an increase in pay, anything that has to do with your contract or really anything that has to do with the branch itself.

Head Office - Contacting HO for any issues is like Russian roulette, hopefully you get someone who knows what they are talking about.

Their process of selection for management is questionable and there is definitely confusion as to why certain employees are hired and promoted.

There are no benefits to speak of and does not look like they are interested in obtaining any.

Promise of monthly bonus is a joke, it has been delayed upto 3 months at times, with no explanation but system issues yet they have time to take 2 weeks vacation.

False promises from the owners and especially the district manager occur on a weekly basis but yet they increase the work load but do not increase your pay.

The only light at the end of the tunnel has been my immediate co-workers.
Pros
Branch level employees for the most part
Cons
Unprofessionalism, upper management, false promise for bonus, no benefits, no loyalty

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Continental Currency Exchange. Our community is ready to answer.