Connor Homes Employee Reviews

Child and Youth Worker
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON21 August 2019
I had the opportunity to work in three different types of programs: group, staff model and foster care.

The supervisors were somewhat flexible with my availability, and always ensured I was comfortable with my scheduling. We received monthly schedules and were able to put in our monthly requests the month prior.

I did find it difficult to manage at the beginning as you are paid once a month, yet this does occur at other organizations.

Some days were challenging, as some youth had extensive behaviors, as other days were difficult to complain as you were fishing or going to the movies with youth. The kids were always involved with recreational activities which was nice to keep busy throughout your shift.

Wages were a bit low- but I did receive a raise throughout my year I was there
Overall awful
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 August 2019
The supervisor was more interested in making friends to drink with then caring about the clients. If something happened it was automatically your fault when you were never trained to know how to handle the situation. Pay is awful and if you are assaulted by a youth, supervisor tells you if you press charges you will lose hours.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, can’t call in sick, horrible pay with no raises
Unprofessional Management
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON9 May 2019
Very immature and unprofessional upper management. Anyone that goes against the grain, or that actually goes to bat for the children in any way shape or form, is pushed out the door, and in a hurry. This is a cut throat agency, that beg and beg for staff, but don't value when they finally have reliable ones. There is a miscommunication between the front line staff, to upper management, facts get lost somewhere in the middle. Assuming supervisors....
Pros
N/a
Cons
How much time do you have?
This is not your typical review
Mulitple Job Titles (Current Employee) –  Multiple Locations6 February 2019
The employers and employees are from diverse backgrounds. This in turn helps the youth who also come from diverse backgrounds.

My belief is that one’s innate talents and fit with an organization matter more than one’s personal skill set when it comes to one’s happiness and ability to be effective at one’s job.

We are workers, parents, spouses, friends, caregivers of difficult behaviours and volunteers. It’s not easy to achieve balance among all these competing priorities.

Self-awareness is essential for the workplace because every person has a different work style. If you want to maximize your happiness, productivity and fulfillment in the workplace it is important to identify and understand your work style.

You work in a place where your boss is your friend – that’s pretty amazing! Remember that, when you feel like complaining about work to your boss or when your friendship seems complicated and frustrating. Being friends with your boss can certainly add challenges to the everyday workplace experience.

I previously worked in an unhealthy organization and found that regardless of the task I was doing, it was miserable being there. Happiness at work is not as much about the work as it is about being respected by your co-workers and supervisors. Working in a healthy organization makes me actually want to come to work. I am happy to pick up extra tasks or work a little longer because I like what I do and whom I’m working with.

This is not your typical review. I have not come here to lay blame, point fingers or be disrespectful.

I always have and still do
  more... enjoy my time at Connor Homes and I accredit that to my own ability to make my job enjoyable.  less
Pros
Positive co-workers, open door policy, adequate training (some with costs covered partially or in full), variety of people, variety of hours to work, professional growth, empathetic supervisors/regional directors
Cons
Long/unexpected hours, balancing work/personal time, negative/disgruntled employees, little room for advancement
Bad place to work
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON28 September 2018
Connor homes is in it for the money not the kids. Staff do not receive adequate training. Understaffed and under appreciated. Youth do not get proper treatment because of low funding. Bad place to work.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, under staffed, no support from management
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ON14 September 2018
I’ve had a great experience working with Connor Homes. They give high risk youth an amazing opportunity to grow up in a home-like atmosphere. There is nothing more rewarding then watching these youth grow and succeed and knowing that you were apart of this success.

Pros:
Co-workers are excellent
Great management in my area
Very rewarding job
Great kids
Terrible company
Child & Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON30 August 2018
Do not work for this company. Management is terrible. Terrible pay, no benefits, no work life balance. Upper management is very wealthy and gives nothing to their staff but problems. Foster parents smoke in the houses with the children as well. Its such a terrible place to work.
Pros
Cons
everything
unsupportive
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 August 2018
this company was very unsupportive. they struggled to have staff teach the children life skills, such as cooking , public transportation and how to teach the kids responsiblity
Pros
nothing
Cons
unsupportive
Great Company to work with!!
CYW (Current Employee) –  Multiple locations18 May 2018
Yes the job is challenging but the fact I can help be a positive role model to kids who come from so much pain...worth every crisis moment!
People who bad mouth this company probably were not in it for the right reasons. To be so selfish and rude to a company who is trying to help our children and youth. Shame on you.
I love working here and have for years. I am fortunate to have a mature team of staff who are professional and supportive.
Training is great and I feel supported. Managment has always been there for me.
Pros
Helping kids
Messy chain of command with lack of focus on youth
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Ontario2 May 2018
This agency had a very high turnover rate with staff while I was employed here. The chain of command is sloppy with any real results being hard to come by unless it directly affects them. Many employees reported delayed or lost wages which could take months to sort out if ever.
Seemed to place youth in homes based on space and money over wellbeing and proper fit every time. Many cut corners, especially for being an "accredited" agency, including paperwork and individual care plans. Some supervisors and staff claiming hours they haven't worked due to pay structure, leaving youth with less treatment and care.
Many genuine and caring individuals sprinkled throughout the agency, but not the majority from my experience. Largely run by seemingly fake people pretending to care in order to make a killing.
Becoming more thorough and focused on paperwork since the fire, but seemingly only in the face of their closure.
Worst place to work
CYW (Former Employee) –  Ontario24 March 2018
Very little training and preparation for the level of behavioral children you would work with. The children would cause damage to your personal property and you would be left to pay for it out of your own money. The pay was very poor for the mental and physical exertion you would endure. You had no support, and I feel that there was no proper help given to these poor children. The foster parents were overworked and paid very little with never any increase in pay. The homes were all falling apart with excessive damage done to them. Fostet parents were given 1 weekend off a month for relief but were expected to leave their own homes and pay for a hotel room out of their own money (or go a friend's house) but workers always cancelled so foster parents were never given proper relief. Overall a very poor company to work for.
Pros
Cons
See aboove
A good place to get experience.
Child Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay9 March 2018
This is a decent starting point for someone to ease into the field/ no benefits/ no vacation time/ hours fluctuate/ positive outlook on the future/ It is what it is.
Pros
potential to make good money
Cons
read above
Bad experience
Child Youth Worker (Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON6 March 2018
I had a very bad experience working here. There was always more kids then staff in the house. Training was very poorly done. I do not recommend working here.
Lacking management support, Low pay
Child & Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Campbellford, ON6 January 2018
Untrained foster parents, untrained coworkers, long hours, management is less than supportive. no benefits, no WSIB coverage if you are hurt on the job or your personal property, vehicles are damaged that is your loss Employee morale is low
Pros
clients and foster parents
Cons
long hours, low pay
educational unique experiences
Area Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Campbellford, ON25 July 2017
Connor Homes provides opportunities for unique and intense work experiences with a wide variety of clientele in a variety of different settings.

Amazing support for continued learning and trainings
Good Opportunity.
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Campbellford, ON21 June 2017
Connor Homes provides a good opportunity. Allows people to see if working in a group/foster home is for them. A lot of people learn it's not for them and tend to leave people short staffed causing longer, unplanned hours. If you can get passed the bad days, and have a true dedication to better and help children know their full potentials it'd be a great place for some.
Pros
You get to work with Children.
Cons
Long Hours.
terrile
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Corbyville, ON16 June 2017
management is terrible, the youth were fantastic to work with and the employees were great. Communication was awful and i didnt feel that the youths were the main priority in the company
Pros
nothing
Cons
poor management and communication
Cyw
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ON5 May 2017
Hard dynamic to continue working in. It takes a lot of energy to be involved day in and day out in somones family/ with foster children adapting in those homes.

Most days can be quite enjoyable depending on the family and kids.
Pros
Flexibility is high
Cons
Not enough training or support
Garbage
Past employee (Former Employee) –  Campbellford Area19 December 2016
Worked there over 2 years with nothing to show for it. Houses are disgusting, nothing has been updated to them and they are run-down. Management is awful. She doesn't care about anything or anyone expect herself. 99% of staff quit because of her, yet she doesn't take ownership in the fact that she's the problem. Head managmanet isn't even in the picture. You're extremely underpaid. No raises, no benefits. Never praised or thanked for the work you do. Always expected to go above and beyond for nothing in return.
Pros
Making a difference in the youths lives
Cons
Long hours, underpaid, no benefits, useless management
intense but fun work environment
child and youth worker (Current Employee) –  Campbellford, ON23 November 2016
watching youth succeed in their goals
fast pace work environment
youth not accepting help
co-workers can be helpful
you learn different coping strategies that will work for some youth and not others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Connor Homes. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7