Conestoga Meat Packers

Conestoga Meat Packers Employee Reviews

Canada56 reviews

Productive workplace

The work is fast paced and you need to be ready to keep up and stay on pace. Most of the people are friendly and work together as a team to accomplish the goal

Growing Company lots of Potential

I've never worked at a company that has so many internal development opportunities for both production and salaried employees. This place is constantly growing and changing for the better

Pros

pay and pay incentives, benefits, internal opportunities

Cons

workload is high sometimes

Physically Demanding is an understatement!!

Line Supervisors doesn't care about the physical well-being of the employees. All they want is meet production quota, while the employees clocked in has no choice but to finish all the hogs they put on the line. Injuries of all kinds including serious ones are part of the daily job, you are paid to do that!! I've got my own share of shoulder injuries twice in one year, and until now it's reoccurring. 4000-4500 hogs in an 8 hour shift, and they'll move it so fast to finish it as fast as possible!!

Pros

Uhmmmm.... weekend day offs?? can't think of anything more

Cons

very short break periods, most supervisors are not friendly, life impacting injuries

Slavery still continues in this century

Minimal recognition of effort and work, you are just one more number and if you are not in the affection of the selected group of people who run the company you have zero opportunities to grow.I have seen more than 15 salaried employees resign in critical roles in the last two years, a sign that something not very good is happening within the company.

Pros

Used to be a family oriented team

Line worker

No communication management does not care about you only making money safety is not the highest priority.HR is not helpful if you get hurt they try to blame you so be very careful you work very hard as they have continuous run where the lines do not stop working and you are afraid to say you get hurt as they don't care.

Cons

Breaks are very short

Job security

They mass hire, offer little training and tell you how well you are doing then let you go before the three months are up Difficult and mean supervisor and not very nice to new people.

Aweful

Really really aweful. Repetitive work. Racist co workers. Management doesn't care about the swearing and slurs being hurtled across the killfloor so long as production quotas are met. Sick sad place. The attitude is toxic and depressive.

Enjoyable atmosphere, Great people

Definitely enjoyed the people working there, very down to earth and friendly. Very on top of their health and safety needs and every body works together in order to stay safe.

Pros

Many company picnics on every long weekend or holiday !!

Cons

Quite cold in certain areas of the facility

Excellent working pace and helpful supervisors! I had fun while working here, very understandable and friendly company - also have a fair amount of pay raise for good workers.

Tough job but nice management

Tough job but nice management. It’s somehow fun working in this company. They really are concerned about safety and management helps. I liked this company

Warm environment

It is a nice and best place to work according to me. The excellent teamwork and diverse working culture keeps you relaxed and happy while working. GMP and food safety rules and regulations are followed.

A great job with great benefits!

Conestoga Meats is a very unique place to work - I was given the opportunity to learn a number of different jobs which gave me good versatility within the plant. The pay and benefits are really good, especially for the general labour sector. The management is generally very good. Despite what the few bad apples might say, the management seems to want everyone to enjoy their jobs and their take complaints seriosly. There are alot of social activities that HR puts together so you can actually get to know your coworkers really well. For my retirement they even gave me a gift! Conestoga was a great place to work and was a rare find where it felt like the company cared about everyone.

Cold, but fun place to work.

I enjoyed my time there. I liked the hours I worked, and the people I worked with. Very structured environment, but on Monday mornings it was cold. Good place to work.

Great pay! and good staff

I was an employee at Conestoga Meats for 3 years. There are a lot of employees, new faces come and go but the ones that are there for the long haul are good people. There is a family feeling when you work there, the staff is really nice and helpful. They pride themselves to be the best and try to have great incentives such as a pension plan after 2 years, family outings, adult trips to Niagra Falls and casinos as well. Aside from the repetitive work, it is a great place to work.

Bureaucratic work environment with office politics present even on the factory floor

The company has grown too large too fast. When I signed on it was just starting to grow. Work was easy and simple and everybody worked together to get the job done. After a few years and a few changes in management however, things went downhill. The mentor-style training I received vanished along with the "old guard" who served as mentors. The new employees brought in saw no reason to take training seriously, and thus the quality of workers declined rapidly, to the point where the few remaining "old guard" workers were doing most of the work for no extra benefit to themselves.

Pros

Free lunches some days. The company knows how to throw a barbecue party

Cons

Long hours and sudden end-of-day overtime to meet deadlines

Unsafe

In the 6months working there I didnt meet a single person who did not have a straun or otherwise preventitive injury. Managment is difficult and entitled. They do not promote from within the company. If youre not a "yes man" they will look for an excuse to get rid of you. The majority of the employees are immigrant workers who don't know their rights and are often subjected to improper treatment as a rwsult. Benefits are pretty good though.

Productive and Collaberative

I worked there 4 months on a student contract. Working at Conestoga Meats enabled me to gain factory experience, responsibility, and determination. It was face-paced at times but everyone there was inclusive and friendly including management.

Good workers

Good managers, recognize and appreciates employee efforts, diverse culture, more room for improvements, managers and senior leaders are approachable, they care about their people.

Typical factory work

Constant clock in clock out work. Everyday it's the same, which can be very boring and mentally exhausting. Management are generally good people and can have a great relationship with, but from experience, no one is a real leader that inspires to improve the place. It sticks to the status quo, and though they give off the impression that they care about the opinions of workers, its all false. Claim to have open door policy, but can't really have a civil conversation and it all comes back to the employee is in the wrong. Told to report soreness or any injury and request "light duty" to no cause further injury but is frowned upon by management and they give you a hard time. Can go to Human Resources for issues that cannot be resolved but typically they go against you and make it very difficult. MANY new employees walk out in the middle of their first shift and do no return.

Fast pace, enjoyable atmosphere

Great atmosphere to work in if you enjoy physical labor. The company itself is growing at a consistent rate providing lots of employment opportunity and growth within the company.

Your wage is not worth your effort.

Save yourself any future stress and do not apply to work for this company. Employees are treated poorly especially those who can't advocate for themselves, the company employs many individuals who have a hard time speaking english and in that case the company walks all over them. They want you healthy and when you are injured or sick they will do what they can to toss you. There is a significant amount of bullying at the workplace - dont count on human resources to help you. You could work at group home for the same amount of start pay, the wage is not worth the effort and poor workplace environment. They should get a union started.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Conestoga Meat Packers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Conestoga Meat Packers