Compass Group Employee Reviews

Needs better front line managers
Unit Supervisor/Chef (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 November 2017
The Operation managers need some training on how to treat workers
Need respect for the people bring their money in.
Terrible to work for, they expect you to work full hours and get paid for less if productivity is low.
Pros
.Good hours
Cons
Terrible managment
Co-workers are great, management is a tad pompous
Runner (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC8 November 2017
. could follow a routine, basically same job every single shift.
. High stress, lots of big crowds, staff are strung out after long weekends full of events
. if you were uncomfortable doing something, someone else would gladly pick up your slack.
Pros
great food made in a great kitchen
Cons
looooong hours
Decent
Employee (Current Employee) –  Canada7 November 2017
Compass Group is a decent place to start your career. Work/life balance can be difficult to achieve. Salary is below market value but you can have many open opportunities to advance at Compass if you proactively seek and ask the right questions to your manager.
Pros
Great people and open culture
Cons
High turnover. Tough work/life balance. Low salary
enjoyable
Retail Lead Hand (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 October 2017
I enjoyed my time with Compass group Canada, the job was suitable for my lifestyle and the staff and management were enjoyable to work with. good benefits
Pros
free lunch
Cons
pay
Great Company to work for
Senior Operations Manager/Acting General Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 October 2017
Compass is a great company to work for , lots of opportunity for advancement and continual support for progression.
The culture is built on the pillars of the company ,and the core values are embraced by its employees.
The hours can be long but the rewards are great, recognition of achievements are sent from all levels with executive leadership taking time to ensure that all levels know how much their efforts are appreciated.
The sense of family and identity within the group is amazing .
Big company with many cliques. Will change when the old timers retire.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  London20 October 2017
Big company but you only advance if you are in a clique or if you are a woman. No problem with that but being a man was not advantageous in this company generally speaking.
Entry level...for some months...then get out!!
Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 October 2017
Not an enjoyable please to work.
Pros: early shifts
Cons: crazy busy, low budget to work with...very low salary!!

"Horrendously disorganized; horrendously disjointed, and extremely disappointing."
Pros
free lunches
Cons
management
Great place to gain cleaning expierence
Office Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 October 2017
Once i arrive at work i sign in, i pick up keys for janitor room and make my way upstairs. I then load cart with enough garbage bags, cloths and gloves. I fill bucket with water and pick up cleaning supplies ( Liquids to clean sink, glasses, toilets and door handles) After i finish setting up I get right to work.
Pros
Free hot chocolate
Cons
Lots of bending
good environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 October 2017
The people are nice, and the work can be tiring but the hours go by fast. The management isn't that bad, expect to be pushed to your limits during busy hours
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short of staffs
people
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 October 2017
meet a lot of fun and interesting people. handled conflict with ease. always there when anyone was in need of help. always on time for work. staff showed respect

Want to know more about Compass Group?

Ask a question
Not what I expected it to be
General Help (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON4 October 2017
This is a company that has alot of potential if they only had proper and professional management.
There is a huge lack of communication amongst the different departments.
There is alot of pressure put on the staff and at times are given unrealistic expectations.
There is also a significant amount of family relations across the board from general workers to management which entails issues of favouritsm that I myself witnessed on many occasions.
Alot of gossip in this place aswell.
The only good thing I can truly say about this company is the benefits are fantastic
But if you want to work in an organized environment that takes pride in equality with opportunities for growth ... this is not a place to work.
The pay isn't worth it and the staff are not treated that great. Many unhappy staff members.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too many
High paced cafe
Barista (Former Employee) –  Burnaby SFU4 October 2017
I worked as a Starbucks Barista for Compass Group Canada. I loved working there when the semester was at peak for studying. I was always busy and always enjoying what I did. Unfortunately, there was very little room for advancement in a company I would have loved to expand my experience.
Pros
The customers were the best.
Cons
No room for promotions
Good
Regional General Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 September 2017
The largest Food and Beverage Company in Canada that provides food and environmental and Maintenance services to a variety of customers across Canada and the world.
Just awful
DIRECTOR OF FOOD SALES / SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON22 September 2017
The absolute worst place I have been employed, breached all aspects of my contract and unbeleivably unorganized. Top management belittles anyone under them.

Not recommended
N/a
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2017
N/A was placed into the company via larger company to execute work. Limited to no involvement with Ajilon directly. Worked with company that was contracted to
Great co-workers and great pay with benefits.
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON20 September 2017
A typical day at work started when arriving at work with a cheery good morning to everybody who was in the office when I got there. I found the most enjoyable part of the job was balancing the room. It was a good feeling to balance and know that you must of done a great job of counting the money from all the different branches.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
communication or should say lack of communication
I participate fun activities with coworkers in different events.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 September 2017
I am available to work any day weekdays and weekend.
I have over 10 years of experience in retail sales and food services companies.I have an excellent communications skills with customers.
stressful
Tim Hortons/Subway, (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 September 2017
Great benefits. Must be capable of adapting quickly and under constant pressure. Little to no promotions, yearly increase and a promise of shifts.

Hard to keep job if you don't adapt fast enough or aren't able to pick up needed skills within two weeks. Some returning customers haggle prices, steal, and make things stressful for evening staff. Some staff members are hard to either get along with or have a sharp eye for any mistakes and grudges waiting to be held between other staff members.

Regardless of the fact, they hire based on personality and not by skill-set; although it would make a great asset to your resume. It's overwhelming at first, but regulars are always very kind to help out when it's needed for certain situations.

This is a high turn-over rate job, and 3 months probation is needed to be met before benefits are to be given.
Great people, lacks training
Retail General Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 September 2017
Great Place to work! great people. The training sucks but the resources are there to help. You meet new people daily and gain great experience! would definitely recommend
Fast paced work environment
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 September 2017
very fast paced work environment where there is always demand. proactive listening is essential while working, as well as effective communication. excellent staff.
Pros
meal plan for lunches
Cons
hours vary, long standing periods

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass Group. Our community is ready to answer.