Compass Group
Information from Compass Group:

Compass Group Employee Reviews for Cook

Cook35 reviews
Canada35 reviews
Worked there as a second cook for silvertip mine. Was a great crew. Early morning shifts. Had alot of fun n many laughs. A bit of heavy lifting on grocery day but was great exercise. Thanks compass canada for a great experience. Merry Christmas to the crews n staff.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Long ride
A typical day I had at work started at 10am and ended at 8pm.
It involved coming in assessing the daily menu and figuring out what needed to be done for today's meal as well as what prep was needed for tomorrow's or the day afters.

I learned how to prep and cook a meal for 2000.

The workplace culture was very formal in the front end of the house, in front of the customer, but very informal in the back of house amongst the cooks.

Management was always hit-or-miss, some years you had great managers, others you had ones who tried to pinch pennies and micromanage to look good in front of their bosses.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie between the cooks.
This is the worst place I’ve ever worked. Dirtiest kitchen ever! It’s only cleaned twice a year. the head chef is sexist and has no respect he will put you down every single day instead of saying good job. Us as employees don’t get any regognition. Management does nothing and only tells you what you want to hear. The only thing I miss is my co-workers.
The first few months were fun and enjoyable but later on I continued because there were no other options available. I think the most important thing at Compass is one has to abide by the rules and norms of the manager and work accordingly. If not then you don't belong there.
Pros
Weekends and stat holidays were off
Cons
too much expectations
I worked 3 years for this company, this is the worst company to work for. It is like slavery no benefits no insurance nothing.At the first day of work they ask you not to be sick because they can not give you day off if you get sick it is your problem you have to work they do not have any extra helper. When they are low in budget they ask you to work just 1 hour per day.
You are only safe if you are close to the boss or the Administration office in Alberta. NO EQUALITY AT ALL. Truly BE AWARE, the demote and fire honest people.
billion dollar worldwide company because they are very cheap. they over manage. they have so many managers what is hard to remember who is who. too many chiefs and not enough indians.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everthing
Good place to work, weekends off and some what solid hours
management is ... difficult, want you to cut hours all the time, abrasive aggressive emails... not worth the stress.

Bonuses for employees at the holidays is horrible. they dont take individual contribution into consideration and only care about money. worst pay grading and increases I've ever seen.
Pros
clientel
Cons
management
Work wise high volume of work load. Friendly environment. Safety 1st all the time. Always 12hours and and 14daus straight and highly paying company. Can recommend about pay
Pros
Free food accommodation
Cons
12 hrs
Very friendly environment with great staff and management. Flexible hours to some extent. Work from day to day was the same, with occasionally having to do some extra work if time was available.
Overall a good place to gain experience in the food service industry. The high volume of customers gives cooks a lot of experience handling foods. Learning how to prep efficiently and properly with the high safety standards that Compass Group expects is an enriching experience.
This company is good place of work with the good benefits.Manager are friendly to a staff. We following the standards recipes for the company some how where short with staff and food supplies but in general we survive at night operation. I am the 1st cook/chef at night in charge the breakfast service. I'm insuring my staff are properly worn PPE and work safely and go home safe. I really enjoy much but sometime I'm looking for the job at sea just because I formerly working at the cruise ship for more than 10 years. I really like it the only reason why I quit in cruise ship because in 2009 I came here in Canada. I hope you guys contacted me in the future for more info. Thank you and have a pleasant wonderfull day.
Pros
free meal
Typical day there is that u get there go to your cash register and count the money that’s in there then. We open an hour and a half before game time and just sell food. Management sucks. Always unorganized and very rude. It’s good for a first time job that’s it.
very good place to work employers are friendly,general manager is very kind people who come to eat are very friendly,work hours are regular means 8 hours we have benefits.
Pros
free meal
Cons
reegular hours
Very good company to work for,I just don't like the commute.Good benefits,wages are fair.room for advancement. Full time hours.Pleasant co workers, excellent health and safety policies in place.
Pros
wages are fair, good benefits, good hours
Cons
commute is an hour long
The Ppl I work with knows how to work each others and we get along helps each other .. when it's comes to busy time .learn a lot each others .. new skills of learning
Worked for them for a short period in a business dining situation. Virtually all of the staff were under paid, and had been for years. It was a toxic environment as nobody really liked their job. Compass would not address anything that had to do with building a team and improving the lives of their employees.
Pros
Monday to Friday, days.
Cons
Poor hourly rates, no reviews, no concern for staff welfare at all.
I start my day early, making soups for the day. Then begin dinner prep. By 430 pm dinner is ready for the first group of night shift clients. Service is 4 hours and we batch cook throughout the entire service so food is always fresh & hot. During service we are prepping for next days dinner as well.
I have worked with many people during my years with Compass Group and am always learning new cooking techniques and recipes.

My management team is great and very supportive. My co-workers are all team players and we always help one another out.

The toughest part of the job is being away from home for such long stretches.

I love to cook so getting paid for something I love to do is a bonus.
compass is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. I was sworn at twice by our food service director..we were told to do online line training at home on our own time which took approx. 18hrs and we were only compensated 2hrs. then they promote only the ones they like. This is a company I wish I had never worked with they do not give any opp to advance. If you value all your hard work in the culinary business DO NOT ever work for compass you will regret it.
Pros
hours
Cons
poor management
Fun and fast paced place to work in and a great way to learn how to cook and cater to people. The management and coworkers were a fun bunch to work as a team with.Great customer service and learning experience.
Pros
Free food
Cons
free food not too good for you body though if you're not careful of what you eat.
I only work a couple of months but was a good experience. The manager and my supervisor was a great person and the custumers too.