Compass Group
Happiness score is 48 out of 100

Compass Group: 919 Employee Reviews

Canada919 reviews

Found 919 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,148 reviews

It's good but be prepared for a lot of down time and layoffs

It gave me experience when I didn't have any but I'm the type that needs to constantly be on the move. Once I stop I lose that rhythm and it's hard to get back. With layoffs in February,April , October and Christmas it's just not something I see being a 25 plus year career.

Fast paced

Fast paced. Hard workers get taken advantage of, while poor workers get treated like gold . Unrealistic expectations for minimum wage. Management lied to staff and treated them like they were stupid. Poor staff morale

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Low pay for hard work, always short staffed

Insights into Compass Group

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Toxic Workplace

The workplace is incredibly toxic. You are overworked and undercompensated. You will be asked to do the tasks of three other people. Management does not care about you and will never appreciate you, unless you are a 'favourite'. You will get bullied by your managers and co-workers who have been there for a while. There is a rampant case of workplace harassment and despite numerous complaints, nothing is ever done. I would highly recommend not working here.

not that great

if you’re a student then this would be a good place to start but if you’re looking for something where you would want to grow then this place isn’t for you. run.

Toxic and very stressful

It's a toxic place to work with a focus only on the client and no real support to it's own staff. Underpaid, overworked, toxic. I do not recommend working for this company.

Set up for failure

Made several attempts to ask for feedback and areas of improvement in job performance with no response from management, then was told my contact wouldn't be renewed because they didn't like my "management style" and promoted the chef's friend into my role.Poor leadership. Lack of directionAbysmal communication skills.0 trust

Good for Highschoolers

It’s like any fast food job. It’s not fun, you smell like fries all day, and it’s hot. The coworkers were cool but management was ehhh. It’s all highschoolers and the pay is minimum wage so there’s no point unless you need money

Poor place to work

I had a very negative experience working here . Poor training, gossipy work culture and poor overall training. I also honestly felt I was let go for having a disability

Pros

Cons

Poor management, lack of leadership

Fun

No complaints, people are generally nice, can be repetitive, lots of diversity, lots of networking, long shifts, managers are ok, customers are alright

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

The WORST job, dirt pay, unfit management

Besides the belittling from toxic co-workers and management, management only cares for the company. The required equipment is rarely, if EVER provided. Sudden termination if you cancel a shift THEY put on your schedule. You won't leave most events until after midnight, (despite starting at noon) which if you take the bus, means your screwed. Little to no training, and if you mess up they act like your to blame. Working there I was taught for half a shift, then every day for a week someone would get angry at me for not doing something right, or asking where things go. It feels as if everything that could make it a terrible place to work is already a prominent part of the work environment

Moving in the right direction

Compass has a lot of Positives, they are always looking on ways to improve or streamline things. good start if you are looking for a entry level manager position,

Pros

good entry level experience, my direct management team is awesome

Cons

Expectations on management can be a lot, high standards can make you feel overhelmed

fun place to work

The managers and supervisors are really nice. They will always come and say you did good job at the end of work.......... It's a divers place to work in. i totally would recommend anyone to work there.

Great Staff, Regular Work Conditions

Minimum wage work kinda sucks in general. With compass canada, at the toronto zoo, there's some jobs that are harder than others. I hear carts is really tough. Personally for me, it was in line with my expectations of what the work would be, but the staff surpassed my expectations. I enjoyed spending time with almost all my coworkers and managers.

An alright place to work

Working there was okay. Management made sure we were trained for our tasks and coworkers were nice. Would recommend for maybe high schoolers or just someone wanting to work a summer job

I have had a good experience working here as a Food Service Manager. Company's culture is teamwork and resourceful. Good to work either as an advancement or as to gain experience.

Pros

Resourceful

horrible place to work

Easy job lol all you do is clean, probably the easiest job I ever had, unfortunately the managers that ran this place were on a real powertrip and totally unprofessional and incompetent.I quit after only working here for a month cause one of the managers reprimanded me infront of other employees for going to the bathroom and calling me derogatory slurs. Co-workers constantly gossiped and talked badly of eachother including managersTurnover is insanely high here, I was hired basically instantly cause they are so desperate for workers.I cant recommend working here at all.

Pros

easy work for the most part when managers weren't around acting like children.

Cons

managers, harassment, bullying, targeting and favoritism

Growing and Evolving Department

You will be assigned a department and it's floor. Your job is to make sure the office itself functions (Printers, light bulbs, signage, keep stationary stocked and breakroom stocked ect..) and you offer support for people who work on that floor (assign lockers, order equipment, manage meeting rooms, mail and building access.. ect)

Fun

Good quality. They give importance to their employee. They also provide benefits and they are considerate. They are responsive to any questions you ask.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Definitely keeps you on your toes.

Many interactions with customers throughout the whole day. Great comradery amongst the Coworkers.Alot of layoff time at Christmas and summer holidays.

Very poor Managers

I found the Manager had very poor skills Took over 4 months to action 4 days sick pay ! Called in on my day off I informed I was going to be late due to medical appointment Was informed that I should of made the appointment prior !! A s i am physic !!! Full time staff changing the schedule to get more overtime hours so that part time would not get any ! And not inform management for permissions either ! Part timers quit due to lack of hours !

Pros

Had to pay for lunches on 4 hour shifts ! and no lunch break offered

Cons

Unexpected shifts due to people quitting

Managers are fantastic

It was a great experience working for the company especially when your managers are very supportive. The system is not perfect but livable if everyone works together as a unit.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement