Compass Group Employee Reviews

Found 489 reviews matching the search See all 3,644 reviews
Worse Work place ever worked
Lead cook (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK5 December 2018
At Paul Dojack youth centre Regina operations Bad management and worst work environment ever seen
They have favouritism at work. They change the schedule whenever they want. Employees are busy doing back biting all the times. People don’t have any kitchen skills they work without gloves, without covering hair and even manager would want you to work when you are suffering with flu which is against law. Only favourite employee will have day off on public holiday. Manager doesn’t know anything about kitchen operations or any food. Doesn’t know Egan how to operate kitchen equipment
Very lucky being out of this organization
Pros
Medical benefits
Cons
Worst management and worst cormployees
horrible
Customer Service Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON6 December 2018
friendly staff
good benefits

when i worked there the manager was the absolute most horrible person to everyone and brought down every employee daily, everyone who eventually left while she was the manager left because of how poorly she treated everyone.

i was personally treated so poorly by the woman who was manager at the time i was anxious to attend my shifts and work until i eventually found a new job and quit, the day i quit i could not even finish my shift i was working, i was in tears from being screamed at and could not tolerate it anymore
Pros
good benefits
Cons
everyone was disrespected daily
no room for advancement
Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 December 2018
not a good place to work, job security wise. Pressured to come up with high sales all the time even if it is a small unit. Stressful to employees and the manager as well.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
change of management often, low salary based on work. job title different from actual job description
Horrible place to work!
Janitorial Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB26 July 2018
The management is absolutely horrible to the staff. They don’t care what happens to us. To them compass comes first. Whatever you do DO NOT work here!!! they steal your vacation days, you get no raises, no incentives. They work you til you can’t take it. They yell at you in front of everyone. The management talks about the staff behind their backs. If your sick; too bad. Suffer through, or they call you a liar. I could honestly go on and on about how horrible it is!
Cons
Pretty good for a masnager position
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta26 November 2018
Pretty standard but they pay hourly staff a living wage so you tend to get good people. Everyone was always great and it was a good place to work. Salary was mid-range.
Pros
Flexible hours, good management team in Alberta
Cons
None really
my two cents.
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 June 2018
* A typical day is all right as long as management doesn't target you for termination. you punch in with the fingerprint scanner and then your in for 8 to 12 hours of work and then you go home.

* there is nothing to learn here except maybe how to strip and wax floors, WHIMIS and Foodsafe. Everything else is just menial labor. and there is very little room for advancement

* the management from what ive seen over the years is that they like to target a person as undesirable and then try to nail them for every thing real and imagined. ( which makes for Glaring Double Standards). they will write you up till you either quit or they get enough demerits to fire you, and then they move on to the next one. I've seen it happen to others over the years and I guess it was just my turn.

*the work culture well there are some very hard working and good people there.... but unfortunately its not a team environment. everyone is pretty much in it for them selves.

* nothing is hard about any of the jobs there. and if you been targeted dont be surprised when they pile up on your work load.

*most enjoyable part for me unfortunately was going home.
Pros
medical Benefits, $2 meal plan, the Union HEU.
Cons
you could be a targeted for Termination.
Would be great under diff management
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 January 2019
The environment is amazing I love my clients but the management is questionable, intergrity could use work, spend money frivolously instead of paying employees more. Long hours, they will always call out small things but rarely compliment when u do well. Overall, overworked under paid.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Good doesn’t outweigh the bad
I loved my job but my my manager is what made me quit.
Food Prep/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 December 2018
My normal shirt started at 7-3pm. i would normally work OTG but sometimes id have to cover someone at subway.

OTG was an amazing spot to work! i got to work in a quiet space, its very easy to get in a routine as when you prep you prep in bulk. i loved working with Compass but what made me leave was the management. she was no where near understanding, was always putting you down instead of lifting you up. she was very demanding.

The hardest part about my job was trying to balance 6 platters for a cater but still having to focus on prepping sandwiches and protein boxes. the platters can include anything from sandwiches to fruit trays. coffee tea and soft drinks were included.

The staff i was working with was AMAZING we didnt feel like co-workers it left like a family
Pros
discounted lunch, being in the union
Cons
bad management
Fast-paced, feeding the injured, coffee
Cashier, food, customer sic (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 December 2018
Excellent work culture. Serious and caring management who are focused on quality standards. As with most food service jobs, covering absenteeism sometimes means the phone rings more often than wished, but opportunities for hours abound for a focused and productive worker.

Job is bringing pleasure and comfort of coffee and smiles to hospital patients and staff. Sea of interesting people to meet in a busy environment.
Pros
Meal plan means packing a lunch is optional
Cons
Very busy, not a job for a lazy person
good place to work
Cashier/Kitchen Helper (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 July 2018
Fun-loving, hard-working and dedicated colleagues
customers are nice
will be able to practice multi-tasking skills
very productive
enjoys the benefits
company enviornment
Executive Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB18 November 2018
compass group is great work place to start an culinary journey,
very good management and friendly workplace culture. many people start from bottom and grow with company to high level.
Pros
free lunch and break
Cons
Heart is the right place, but call out culture is painful sometimes
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 January 2019
overall the company understands flex time and how to have a work life balance, but there is a tendency to always be super negative. The call out culture comes into play if anything has a perception of of going badly. So instead of speaking to what went well, everyone focuses on the parts that went wrong. This ends up building tension in the people around you.
Stressful work environment
RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON31 May 2018
Increased salary above minimum wage, however benefit package was revoked after being hired. Poor management and environment to work within. Would not recommend.
Terrible Company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 October 2018
Long hours and no recognition. They run on very low budget and expect 5 star service. Each year they do budget cuts and expect the manager and directors to retain staff and improve quality and service.

Please run far far away from any management position.
Pros
Cons
long hours, low wages, low standards, no recognition, no work life balance
Opportunity, Low Salary
Confidential (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 April 2018
Company going through drastic changes with upper management. Lower level employees are feeling most of the pain trying to adapt.

Good opportunities for advancement, experience and travel. Job security is relatively high, but salary can be low.
Productive work environment
McGill Residency (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 July 2018
While working at McGill residency building it was a very different environment, dealing with all sorts of situations. I learned more french and how to constantly stay busy. Management was super nice and always put school first. The hardest thing working their was stay on my feet for long hours, and late nights. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to explore the city, and connecting with the students their.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Long hours on feet with timed breaks
A Highly Motvated and experienced housekeeper employed within the ESS Compass Group Canada team for 15 years, achieving the roleas Housekeeping Supert
Housekeeper, supervsor househousekeeper (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC23 November 2018
I really enjoy what I do , meeting great people. You meet all kind , some people won`t give you a good name, but you get people, appreciate what you do for them . All in all always in up with a great day.
I learned if you work at something hard enough, you will always come out on top. Do not talk about the company, to client.
Safety is #1, in the workplace, They care about you , if you get sick, and ESS always telling you what a great Job. I cannot say there any thing hard about this Job , I guess only thing was hard being away from family. I enjoy the end of the day , staff set around having dinner and a good laugh .
Pros
we have meals, and free room and board
Cons
Do not get home at the end of the day to far away, stay in camp for lond period of time
Hostess
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 September 2018
I loved this Job, I was able to interact with clients in the suits, Always great guests. I always made sure my guest were very happy, and had everything they ordered on our menu, Food was always hot for them when they arrived to the suits. The fridge was always stocked, I've worked all the bulldog games, and concerts, it was never a boring night at Copps Coliseum.. They had new management take over, and things slowed down there, so they had told me I would be on call. But unfortionally I haven't recieved a call back. This was a great job, I always loved going into work. It was always evenings and weekends. I also became pregnant with my second child, and couldn't go back eventually. Great Job..
Management sees employees as a number...pay is very very low for the expected work
Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 March 2018
Hours good/benefits good
Pay and management below average
No room for advancement unless they are stuck
Great staff lounge and good training for employees
Pros
good hours..good benefits
Cons
very low pay and management not very caring..sees employee as numbers
It is a friendly and fast paced workplace. a very fulfilling sense of pride with my coworkers
Waste collection in housekeeping dept NRGH (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC24 January 2018
Compass is a great company to work for... it has benefits comparable to other good companies. Staff is happy and friendly supervisors and bosses.
Coworkers cared about each other. If someone became seriously ill or had family emergency we all came together to help in whatever way possible with efforts from our supervisors
They care about our safety and have safety meetings everyday.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
I can’t say there are any cons. I have worked for them and loved it there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass Group. Our community is ready to answer.

41K