Community Natural Foods Employee Reviews

fun and challenging work environment
Line Cook/ Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Calgary Northeast, AB23 August 2019
very good job if you have a background in cooking, better experience than working in a fast-paced kitchen. sometimes can be hectic when there are different views between coworkers but most people get along quite well with eachother.
poor management, great company.
Commisarry cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2019
It's a good company to work for, there's a lot of upsides. I just cant deal with the management. They don't exactly hire people based on work ethic, but more on personality and if they will mesh with the team. they also play favorites a bit.
good people to work with and comfortable environment
Chef (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 July 2019
Daily prep, ordering, cooking and talking with Customers. Worked on new menu items and helping with change of the routine in the kitchen from ordering to cleaning.
Pros
Free lunches, two break times
Cons
low pay rate
Cafe Clerk
Cafe Barista (Former Employee) –  Downtown17 June 2019
I truly loved my co-workers, however we were often understaffed. Management sometimes did not know how to deal with customers harassing female employees, I would say that was the hardest part about the job, being mistreated often by customers. Overall is not a bad place to work, but the turnover rate is very high. I met some amazing beautiful human beings working here though.
Pros
Free food, flexible schedule
Cons
understaffed often
fun place to work.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2019
Really great selection of organic and local produce. Fun staff and great management. Always an easy day stocking fruits and veg. Generous staff discount of grocery.
Best company to work for in this industry
Cash & Events Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2019
A great company, employee focused, customer driven. A great environment that supports growth from within. Highly recommend as an employer if looking for employment
Gone Downhill
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 January 2019
I have worked at Community for many years, and I’m sorry to say, it has changed for the worse. The company is struggling financially, which has resulted in many supervisors and managers being let go. This results in a heavy workload for staff, and responsibilities passed on to us that should be the job of supervisors. The people at the top of the company struggle to figure out how to fix all the problems the company is facing. As a result, many staff have left and the ones who remain have low company morale. The ONLY benefit is the pay and benefits are decent. I would think twice about applying, though.
Pros
Dental and healthcare benefits. Decent wage.
Cons
Everything else.
Lots of knowledge obtained regarding food and health.
Customer Service and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 November 2018
Good company to work for. They offered good benefits, as well as free food in the staff room. Upper Management was alright, but tended to not address any concerns employees made. Also, unfortunately, at the location I worked at there were two managers that were alcoholics. That tainted the experience a little bit because they would bully many of the employees, myself included, and they went so far as to threaten my job security when I tried to book off my Grandmother's funeral. I was forced to work that day and was not allowed to trade the shift with another employee. That aside, I learned a lot of cool things there, and still met many cool people. I still shop there today. (Both of those managers are also gone now.)
Pros
Free food.
Cons
Poor Store Management when I was there.
Staff were number 1 from management down.
Executive/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2018
A busy, relaxed, uplifting, caring work environment that staff felt they were genuinely part of a team making a difference in the world. Diverse people across a broad age group who were valued and respected.
Great company to work with
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2018
Casual, friendly and community oriented place to work at.
Employee discount will give you the luxury to spend on healthy foods.
There is not a lot room in advancement.
This is a great company in many ways however
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2018
The financial struggles of the organization in the last few years has diminished the culture and put a lot of stress on the employees. Employee moral is very low at this time.
Family feeling workplace
Customer Engagement Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 March 2018
We feel we are all family working together.

Your principle is my principle "treating other the way we want to be treated" I feel the conection! That is why I would like to meet you and see if we can work together.
Pros
kudos from customers we get free lunch
Warm, intimate, welcoming
Customer Engagement Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2018
Community Natural Foods can offer an inclusive culture of like-minded people. You will probably learn something new everyday, and laugh often. The majority of customers are lovely and friendly, and you get the chance to influence their life for the better; front-line style.
Upbeat, positive work environment, where staff are empowered to be their best.
Cashier / Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2018
The store manager was positive empowering every staff member to be their best, we were more than just staff we were in a beautiful work environment were we thrived. Because we were supported in our belief in the products we were presenting to our community in the city of Calgary. Jars of herbal teas, or smoothies made in store by staff were welcomed in all areas of the store. Our case lot sales and general store sales continually increased because of the level of integrity of service and customer engagement.
Pros
discounts on all products, training paid if staff worked for one year after completing certificate or diplomas
Cons
Full time hours, part time status, minimum wages until full time status.
Stressful workplace/ no place for movement
Full time order picker and receiver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 January 2018
After four long years working at the same position, for the same people I am ready for a change. During a typical day at work there are various tasks that need to be completed, as with any job.
After four years I learned that this position really doesn't help qualify me for anything. All certifications; forklift, walkie truck, are all only used in the company.
Management, in my personal opinion, is lacking a major key element.
I feel like warehouse work is never difficult and should not cause any serious stress.
Great benefits and discounts
Commissary Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary13 September 2017
Very good work environment with great training and support. Excellent benefits and discounts.

Mostly worked with foreigners who weren't interested in connecting or communicating at all. Made for long, quiet boring days.Very isolating. Not much "Community" At Christmas there wasn't even a staff party.

Great management- Helpful and kind. Also organized. If you like working by yourself, this would be a great job! Not much room for advancement.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Isolated
Great company
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2017
CNF is a great organization to work for. Their workplace culture is unmatched! There is a huge focus on work/life balance, and they have an employee base of extremely compassionate individuals.
No place like it
Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2017
CNF is like no other business. It's corporate structure hasn't forgotten it's family roots.

It's a real haven for kind, like-minded people with an interest in natural foods, waste reduction, and grass-roots movements.

Flexible schedules, great staff, competitive pay.
Pros
Kind, open-minded staff and management. Flexible schedules.
Cons
Training and job descriptions are somewhat vague.
Not what you would expect from a health food store
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2016
Worked in inventory
there was no flexibility for the scheduales
management was shady.. too much micro management
co workers were fantastic at times a bit pretentious
hardest part of the job - none.
most enjoyable part of the job was the great co workers and the amazing food and the discount
Pros
great food, great discount, lots of learning everyday, amazing co workers
Cons
no flexibility, micro management
busy and demanding work.
Dishwasher/Prep cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2016
Typical day of work ranged from dealing with customers or back in the kitchen prepping food or washing dishes. I learned how to handle customers asking questions on the phone and if I didn't now the answer to get a supervisor on the phone instead. Management was okay but at times they didn't know how to handle certain situations. co- workers ranged from hard working to hardly working. some co workers helped customers easily and some ignored customers all together. Hardest part of the job was to keep my cool when I had a customer yelling at me and telling me how to do my job. Most enjoyable part of the job was the back garden area we had for staff to take a break outside in the fresh air.
Pros
Intereacting with customers
Cons
dishwasher kept breaking down every 3 weeks.