Community Living Employee Reviews

Terrible experience
Windsor/Essex (Former Employee) –  Essex12 November 2018
They expect perfection upon walking in the door on day one! Little to no training. They tell you a certain amount of hours you are required for and then book you every day of the week. They are all drama and gossip and could not care less about how hard you work!
Pros
Cons
Tons!
Good
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON2 November 2018
Working with disabled individuals with multiple different neurological and psychological conditions
structure focused and routine
lack of available hours
Pros
Staff support
Cons
Poor management
this company has a good reputation over the years..
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2018
The company has a good reputation for 65 years. I have a wonderful experience working with the staff and the participants and learning a new things in order to grow my knowledge and skills.
Good
High Behaviour Treatment houses, Part-time/on-call (Current Employee) –  Comber, ON14 October 2018
Type of work for all types of people. Can be caring and nurturing or someone to look up to and enforce rules and support plan. The job makes one feel good about themselves
great work place, flexiable to get more shifts
Casual Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON8 October 2018
Great training programs, friendly and organized staff, great opportunities for training in different residential homes and access to pick up more hours if you want.
Pros
flexiable shifts and overtime
Good work environment, pleasant employees and always willing to help.
Student Job Placement (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 October 2018
Working at Community Living Oakville for my job placement provided an opportunity for me to enhance the skills that I learned at college. The management team was very accommodating which provided an opportunity for me to explore. The staff was very friendly which provided a sense that you were apart of the family. While working with Brianne, I learned so much because she allowed me to really step out of the box and put into practice my skills and knowledge. I'm so happy that I had an opportunity to work there for my job placement and will forever be thankful to Ms. Shannon and Brianne for giving me the opportunity.
Loved the job and the pay
Direct Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON29 September 2018
This was my favorite place to work. The pay was great even for part-time employees. There was always lots of shifts for the part-time employees as well. Wish there was more room for advancement.
Experiencing life with those I support
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Essex, ON25 September 2018
Community Living is an excellent place to work when you want to give back to the community and help people. Teaching individuals with both intellectual and developmental disabilities life skills and how to integrate into their communities is an adventure in itself/
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Mentally draining
Many Support Options
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON18 September 2018
Much support from this organization for person with disabilities however, behind the scenes is another matter. You education and experience is irrelevant. If you are a friend or family member of management, like many other organizations, you will slide on in to top positions overriding actual qualified persons.
Pros
Pay is ok
Cons
Top positions/advancement on who you know basis
Bad Company to work for
Developmental Support worker (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON12 September 2018
Not the greatest place to work. They have a very high turn over rate for staffing. I would suggest looking else where for employment if you can They force a lot of forced double. 16 hour shifts, i wouldn't plan to do anything after work because there is always a good chance that you will get stuck there.
Cons
Long hours, a lot of forced 16 hour shifts.
Management Sucks
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 September 2018
In my experience the part time employees had to do all the work (including the full timers duties) and when this concern was shared with the manger she did nothing about it, she told us to discuss it with the team.

Full timers would be able to work from home which makes no sense if you’re supporting individuals in their home. And manager approved of this.
Good Agency
Individualized Support Worker II (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2018
This agency is good because helps people with disabilities in many ways, their focus is the well been of the people in care. They training their employees to bring an excellent service.
Great experience
Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 August 2018
GREAT PLACE TO WORK nice and friendly staff was able to gain the experience in the field of ABA. Which was what I was looking for. Thanks for the beautiful experience.
Residential Counsellor
Residential Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Gravenhurst, ON9 August 2018
A good opportunity to learn and update my skills.. constant upgrading was expected . i learned to get along with different people and value their opinions and did a lot of sharing ideas.
Clt
Community Services (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 August 2018
Very flexible work hours
The organization does Not really advocate for the rights of people with intellectual disabilities
They play too many mind games around contract work, so you feel like your job is never stable
The salary is very low and staff feel unappreciated
Some staff have over 7 different roles, leads to burn out
Majority of staff are great, interesting people that really care about the lives of the individuals
Pros
Flexible time schedule
Cons
Low salary
good part time job
Respite/Special Services at Home Worker (Former Employee) –  South River, ON29 July 2018
I liked the work...but there was lots of travel and no numeration for it. It also was not counted in your hours. Parents had unrealistic expectations.
Pros
own schedule
Cons
only got paid once a month
Working with kids with disabilities
Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Port Colborne, ON25 July 2018
Hardest part of the job was covering for other staff. The job was 7-3 Monday to Friday. Activities included outing to park, cleaning up after the child. There was 30 children to mind. This was a Summer program job threw John Howard Society.
ok
Part Time Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2018
CLT is a great opportunity for advancement and experience. You learn many things and get a great work environment when needing improvement with skills.
Great concept, very poorly executed
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON21 July 2018
Helping vulnerable is very revording job but if you want to feel constant intimidation from the management, get a job at CLW. You will be working longer hours (double or even triple shifts), weekends, nights, holidays and you will never feel appreciated for stepping in. Your hours will be all over the place and don’t ever expecting full time either. I didn’t get it in almost 10 years.
once, big strong family, the company turned into constant rivalry between workers and management. It literally feels like it’s two completely different competing companies. It’s not unusual to be mistreated by your supervisor. I think they wake up every morning think who can They screw next.
You will constantly have management breathing in your neck for anything you do/don’t do. People are getting fired left and right. You are literally not important and they make sure you know it.
Pros
Somewhat ok pay (but not enough for what you have to endure.
Cons
Horrible management, inability to ever get full time
Being able to go on community outings
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 July 2018
The point of Community Living is to enjoy the community. So it is encouraged greatly to head out into the neighbouring community and have fun! Outing could include a hockey game, a drive to the beach, or even a picnic.
Pros
lots of outings with people supported
Cons
mostly part time work only