Community Living

Community Living Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
I enjoyed this job very much. The team I worked with was amazing as well as all the individuals we supported. The only downfall to this position is management. Management at the cobourg home is unhelpful and impossible to talk to or reason with. She has no regard for her employees and has a “power and control” mentality. It’s unfortunate that poor management can make such an awesome and rewarding job be intolerable
I love my job here. I enjoy going into work and doing what I do . It’s not for everyone but everyday is different and uniquely the individuals we support
Pros
Fantastic management! And great benefits
Cons
Sometimes I work too much.
Toxic environment, horrible supervisors and managers. HR will talk about you behind your back to other employees like its high school. You're left to deal with crisis and emergencies on your own because your horrible supervisor cant be bothered to leave their comfy office. The directors are awful, wont even acknowledge front line staff, treat them like dirt. I've never in my life experienced such toxicity, I have never been so stressed and so overworked. If you like doing the job of a supervisor with front line pay then sign on up. You'll never climb the ladder in this agency because they will only ever go externally for supervisor roles, dont want to give the front line workers who keep their company running any kind of props or proper pay. Worst job I have ever had in my entire life.
Pros
Literally none.
Cons
Everything.
Management consider themselves in a class of their own.. looking WAY down on their staff. There is no leadership, direction, encouragement, motivation, training opportunities are slim to none and the environment is toxic. Unethical use of government funding (Double dipping), receiving funding for programs that were never executed but dollars kept, over billing and gouging of clients passport dollars.. list goes on and on. Never have I ever witnessed (over several years there I might add) the enormous gap between management and employees and the demoralizing of individuals. Those who speak up are forever treated horribly.
Pros
clients and coworkers
Cons
Management (lack of), lack of permanent positions, not properly compensated for after hours work or on holidays.
Community Living is a great place to work and learn and develop your skills. The workplace culture is very positive and you can develop and empower the people you support and yourself
I did not work there long. But for the time I did work there, it was and still remains my favourite job of all the jobs/positions I’ve ever had. I loved what I did and loved the clients I was responsible for and more. It’s a very inclusive entity, and we’re open to any suggestion I had. We were a group effort. No one individuals position was more important then another. We all had our roles and did them. Was a great place to work. Had they not changed their credentials for working there, I’d still be working there. But did not have my full degree so had to leave.
This company needs a strong overhaul. Management micromanages staff and is very untrustworthy of new staff. Pay is very low for amount of work required. There is no work-life balance in this company. For a company who tries to portray a professional front, it is just that, a front. Dont buy into it. Think twice before applying. Staff are mistreated and a lot are miserable at work.
Management has ZERO support for staff. Not enough staff so shifts are very unorganized. The work is excellent but scheduling will run you into the ground. Very unfair treatment of staff. Very poor management on a few teams.Supported people are very grateful to spend time with staff, and have a great time!
Worst company to work for lots of cliches and co workers do not help you. They will not show you anything and then turn around and get you in trouble for something going wrong when you were not shown the proper way to do it. Would never recommend that company even for my fam to live at
A very hands-on and fulfilling career with flexibility to pick up shifts at your convenience. The positive atmosphere that allows direct interaction with supported persons, the ability for growth and experience within this field.
Did this for a student position. The culture was inviting and a great place to learn and make future contacts.
Lots of Micromanaging. No room for advancement for older employees, they will advance a first year employee over a 20 yr employee. Working with the residents and families is amazing and they make the job worthwhile. The agency will break your spirit and you will either become a yes person or a target.
Pros
The residents make the job special
Cons
I wouldn't work here ever again. Glad I left. Management ruined this agency. Full time staff are overworked and underpaid for the amount they are required to do, and it's just getting worse.
No incentives either, except that you're helping great people who require the care.

Lack of funding from the government is an ongoing issue and has made the workload unmanageable for some and no relief in the near future.
Pros
Helping people in need
Cons
Lots!
Working with disabled individuals with multiple different neurological and psychological conditions
structure focused and routine

lack of available hours
Pros
Staff support
Cons
Poor management
- Always adapting to new situations
- Have to stay focused throughout the shift

- constant and consistent problem solving

- meal preparation for clients

- setting up fun activities for clients
Pros
Learn something new everyday
Management is reasonable. Very informative when providing information regarding the clients. Nice place to work. Can be tough when you are required to stay late at times.
Most days are enjoyable, the staff and clients are very friendly. A typical day involves taking the client from their home and bringing them into mine. Personal needs are attended to and i take clients out into the community to enhance their quality of life.
Pros
meeting people
Cons
sometimes helping the client to understand why they need to do something a certain way