Community Living Employee Reviews

Cluov
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, ON15 April 2018
I have learned a lot while being with Community Living of The Upper Ottawa Valley in the past 3.5 years.

I have learned to be a more diverse individual as well as flexible.
Okay summer program/ poor management - little growth within company
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 April 2018
Summer program is excellent for students looking for a summer position. However, I find that support workers were under paid for the work we did and given no chance for growth within the company.
Pros
outdoors/planning schedules
Cons
long hours out in the sun
Fun and open working enviornment
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brant, ON9 April 2018
Fast paced and fun workplace for individuals that are self starters with ambition to succeed. Plenty of work in both a team setting and individual setting
CLT- the plain white bread of Assistance.
Relief Support Worker II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2018
Worked for the company for 2 years. The pay is great If you have time to work. Comparing CLT to agency organizations (WM+A or Frontline) the hours as always with CLT and the pay is good. With that being said, being relief is the real benefit to the organization.

Relief staff is paid nearly $20 an hour and shifts are 7-1/2 hours long. You can choose your time off and build your schedule around your needs.

Part-time- shifts are fixed to revolve around a problem of not enough staff. Evenings are terribly staffed and most part time will be conpenstating for this. Weekends are worse with full time staff not caring.

Full time- At $22 an hour it’s not much of an upgrade in job quality compared to getting a head office job. More paperwork, more behavioural meetings (which serious harm to employee’s have been laughed at). Full time is excellent If you want to progress in further education.

Overall the company has its benefits and drawbacks. A solid 5.5/10 on a working scale.
Pros
Hours, pay.
Cons
Disappearing staff, revolving door of agency staff, health and safety is disregarded.
A Good Experience
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 April 2018
This company allowed me to gain more skills in working with individuals who experience exceptionalities. I liked how we traveled around Mississauga with the teens to participate in different activities.
Pros
Free activities
Cons
Being a 3:1 when there is a teen who requires 1:1 support.
Supporting and Assisting individuals with intellectual disabilities
SUPPORT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB2 April 2018
Community Living Selkirk was a workplace I am very proud to have had the opportunity to work at and be involved with. The job consisted of supporting individuals with intellectual disabilities on daily routines, jobs and tasks. I had the opportunity to be involved in the day program planning, working with high assistance individuals planning games, and activities for everyone to be involved in. As well as the employment programs, this consisted of assisting and supporting individuals with jobs and contracts we had in place for individuals to learn how to prepare for potential employment within the community.
productive and fun workplace had a pool and shuffle table in entertainment room
Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON5 March 2018
Amazing atmosphere to work in, great staff and great residences as welcoming in new people into there home, always willing to participate in recreation and or leisure activities.
Cons
Not enough participants for programs
Not worth being burnt out.
DSP (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON26 February 2018
Very little room for advancement to full-time. Salary is okay, extra shifts 3/4 of the year. Extreme internal issues, expected to revolve life around job.
productive and fun
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Wallaceburg, ON26 February 2018
while at work i learned how to multi task and gained well written and verbal communication skills. I enjoy training others on how to support people with a disability.
Pros
inclusion
Cons
shift work
Where People Realize Potential
Supervisor, Community Supports (Current Employee) –  Wallaceburg, ON23 February 2018
Community Living Wallaceburg is a progressive association where people realize their potential within inlcusive communities. The agency provides a full range of accomodation, community and employment supports to more than 400 individuals and their families throughout Chatham-Kent.
Supported and connected.
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON20 February 2018
The day is busy and hectic with some down time to sit and connect with your residents and other Staff.
I learned a lot of sharpened communication skills in this place of work. I learned to be aware of surroundings in a more alert capacity.
This work makes you want to be the best version of yourself and I became more aware of trying not to take as much for granted.
I found the management supportive, understanding, thorough and accountable.
The hardest part of this job was shutting off and leaving work at work as the work is very different than other jobs. When you are in a role of helping run someones' household and acting in a care giver role, it is hard to shut that off.
The most enjoyable part of this job is you become a part of a whole other world. It's long hours, its trying, it tests your creativity but the bonds created are worth all of it. Rewarding on the same level as parenting.
Pros
Constantly learning and being able to give back.
Cons
Long and crazy hours. Have little ones of my own at home.
Iam student placement
Social Service Worker Student (Current Employee) –  North York, ON13 February 2018
most of the time I help my supervisor with application documentations answering phone call. and help with individuals by motioning them and help the with cleaning
Individuals are awesome, more hours need to be offered
Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 February 2018
A typical day in my position comes with a lot of organizing while not on the clock, phone calls to arrange appointments, constantly balancing money and filling out paperwork. The actually outings/activities with groups/individuals are amazing and I enjoy it a lot. Getting to see each individuals reactions to trying something new or to going somewhere they have wanted to go for a while is priceless.
Some of the management team can be a little frustrating as rules change from week to week it seems and it comes across that each employee has a different set of rules to follow. Which can make the work environment frustrating, and extremely stressful.
Hardest part of the job is the demand put on me to manage everything. I feel the job and all it takes can easily be a full time position, but that is not option.
The reason I continue to do the job day in and day out is simply because of the individuals that are supported. If support coordinators were not there each day, it is the individuals that would miss out and that is not fair to them.
Pros
Experience fun activities with individuals
Cons
Lack of support
Service users make the jobs worth it
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2018
I loved my job with all my heart from the day it started, until its end. Management often falls short when it comes to providing support for their staff and advocating on behalf of clients.
Great atmosphere great team
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon Falls, ON29 January 2018
A lot of worlplace gossip and favortisme. A lot of times I worked with a good team but there are those who did t work so hard. It is physically draining but so rewarding to be able to make a difference in a persons life.
Great to start out in the field
Developmental Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 January 2018
Community Living London is a great place to work. The training is very thorough, and the management is very professional. Great pay compared to a lot of other agency's.
great way for individuals with disabilities to socialize.
Placement student (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON26 December 2017
Community living is overall a great place to be the staff and the participants are very welcoming. The staff does a great job of making new participants feel like part of the family. Community living makes sure to do have may active outings for participants, some of these things include apple picking, horseback riding, and hiking. Community living interacts with all types of people, you will never have to worry about not fitting in.
Developmental Services Worker Casual (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON25 December 2017
Fast Paced, Long Hours, Great Benefits, Pays Well, Good Training, Lots of information to retain, Everyone Supports everyone when help is needed, Plant Wide Meetings To Keep Employees Informed
Relief Provider (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON21 December 2017
You get to make your own hours, paid trips out of town, potential to earn good money. You get capped at 25 hours per week per client. If you happen to get 2 clients, that's 50 hours per week IF you want it. Great job for students because of this fact. Some typical tasks include going to the movies, concerts, sporting events, camping trips, teaching general life skills such as banking, grocery shopping and cooking meals. You are essentially a paid friend, but you can't approach the job this way. The only downside is that your hours are unstable if you are a student or have a second job. For example, if you have class 3 days a week and can only take your client for 2 days and they are sick one of those days or simply don't feel like going out, you lose those hours unless you are able to reschedule. You also need you own vehicle. This is a requirement. You are paid $0.40 per km for gas and mileage.
Pros
Make your own hours, fun work, paid trips, good community work
Cons
unstable hours, paperwork
Professionalism with awesome workplace culture!
Part-time staff (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON10 December 2017
This company is completely professional in everyway. The positive workplace culture is based on mutual respect, privacy and ethics for staff and the people they support. The management team treats employees with respect and honesty which translates to improved care for the people Community Living supports.

If part time support work is a goal, this place is amazing, safe, supportive and accommodating!
Pros
Workers feel a sense of accomplishment and contentment here.
Cons
Like most public institutions, it's under funded but does what it can.