Community Living Employee Reviews

Headed in the Right Direction
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON13 June 2018
Overall a fairly good agency to work for but like any other job nowadays, it can take many years to obtain a full-time position. Many temporary contracts given to reliable employees.
Very Enjoyable
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Port Colborne, ON11 June 2018
Started my career with this agency as a high school co op student. they stuck with me and taught me so much to make me who I am in the field I work in.
Amazing opportunity to work with individuals with a disability
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 May 2018
Community Living Mississauga is a great company. Their mission is to support individuals with a disability. From this, I learned a lot about what it is like to be around and help people that have limitations, because of this, it has made me a better person.
Worked around the city
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2018
Worked around toronto assisting the elderly and disabled with multiple tasks such as laundry, hygeine toileting, companionship and helping all kinds of people
Enjoyable organization to work for, welcoming and respectful
SUPPORT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 April 2018
- Always adapting to new situations
- Have to stay focused throughout the shift
- constant and consistent problem solving
- meal preparation for clients
- setting up fun activities for clients
Pros
Learn something new everyday
Community Living review
Support Worker II (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON22 April 2018
As a part-time worker the work-life balance is great, I am paid well and I have very supportive management and coworkers. The organization needs to offer benefits to its part-time workers as only full-time workers (Management) receive benefits. At full-time, you can afford things like dental and massages, at part-time you really can't which is highly unfair. I have been needing new glasses, dental work and massages for years now and can't afford it. But all of my bills are paid every month. Sometimes the shifts are extremely boring and others very fun and event filled. The mixture is good. This is a great entry job for those fresh out of post secondary. I recommend this organization highly.
Pros
Decent pay, opportunities to build good relationships with people.
Cons
Sometimes very boring, no benefits to part-time workers
Cluov
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, ON15 April 2018
I have learned a lot while being with Community Living of The Upper Ottawa Valley in the past 3.5 years.

I have learned to be a more diverse individual as well as flexible.
Okay summer program/ poor management - little growth within company
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 April 2018
Summer program is excellent for students looking for a summer position. However, I find that support workers were under paid for the work we did and given no chance for growth within the company.
Pros
outdoors/planning schedules
Cons
long hours out in the sun
Fun and open working enviornment
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brant, ON9 April 2018
Fast paced and fun workplace for individuals that are self starters with ambition to succeed. Plenty of work in both a team setting and individual setting
CLT- the plain white bread of Assistance.
Relief Support Worker II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2018
Worked for the company for 2 years. The pay is great If you have time to work. Comparing CLT to agency organizations (WM+A or Frontline) the hours as always with CLT and the pay is good. With that being said, being relief is the real benefit to the organization.

Relief staff is paid nearly $20 an hour and shifts are 7-1/2 hours long. You can choose your time off and build your schedule around your needs.

Part-time- shifts are fixed to revolve around a problem of not enough staff. Evenings are terribly staffed and most part time will be conpenstating for this. Weekends are worse with full time staff not caring.

Full time- At $22 an hour it’s not much of an upgrade in job quality compared to getting a head office job. More paperwork, more behavioural meetings (which serious harm to employee’s have been laughed at). Full time is excellent If you want to progress in further education.

Overall the company has its benefits and drawbacks. A solid 5.5/10 on a working scale.
Pros
Hours, pay.
Cons
Disappearing staff, revolving door of agency staff, health and safety is disregarded.
A Good Experience
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 April 2018
This company allowed me to gain more skills in working with individuals who experience exceptionalities. I liked how we traveled around Mississauga with the teens to participate in different activities.
Pros
Free activities
Cons
Being a 3:1 when there is a teen who requires 1:1 support.
Supporting and Assisting individuals with intellectual disabilities
SUPPORT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB2 April 2018
Community Living Selkirk was a workplace I am very proud to have had the opportunity to work at and be involved with. The job consisted of supporting individuals with intellectual disabilities on daily routines, jobs and tasks. I had the opportunity to be involved in the day program planning, working with high assistance individuals planning games, and activities for everyone to be involved in. As well as the employment programs, this consisted of assisting and supporting individuals with jobs and contracts we had in place for individuals to learn how to prepare for potential employment within the community.
productive and fun workplace had a pool and shuffle table in entertainment room
Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON5 March 2018
Amazing atmosphere to work in, great staff and great residences as welcoming in new people into there home, always willing to participate in recreation and or leisure activities.
Cons
Not enough participants for programs
Not worth being burnt out.
DSP (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON26 February 2018
Very little room for advancement to full-time. Salary is okay, extra shifts 3/4 of the year. Extreme internal issues, expected to revolve life around job.
productive and fun
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Wallaceburg, ON26 February 2018
while at work i learned how to multi task and gained well written and verbal communication skills. I enjoy training others on how to support people with a disability.
Pros
inclusion
Cons
shift work
Where People Realize Potential
Supervisor, Community Supports (Current Employee) –  Wallaceburg, ON23 February 2018
Community Living Wallaceburg is a progressive association where people realize their potential within inlcusive communities. The agency provides a full range of accomodation, community and employment supports to more than 400 individuals and their families throughout Chatham-Kent.
Supported and connected.
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON20 February 2018
The day is busy and hectic with some down time to sit and connect with your residents and other Staff.
I learned a lot of sharpened communication skills in this place of work. I learned to be aware of surroundings in a more alert capacity.
This work makes you want to be the best version of yourself and I became more aware of trying not to take as much for granted.
I found the management supportive, understanding, thorough and accountable.
The hardest part of this job was shutting off and leaving work at work as the work is very different than other jobs. When you are in a role of helping run someones' household and acting in a care giver role, it is hard to shut that off.
The most enjoyable part of this job is you become a part of a whole other world. It's long hours, its trying, it tests your creativity but the bonds created are worth all of it. Rewarding on the same level as parenting.
Pros
Constantly learning and being able to give back.
Cons
Long and crazy hours. Have little ones of my own at home.
Iam student placement
Social Service Worker Student (Current Employee) –  North York, ON13 February 2018
most of the time I help my supervisor with application documentations answering phone call. and help with individuals by motioning them and help the with cleaning
Individuals are awesome, more hours need to be offered
Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 February 2018
A typical day in my position comes with a lot of organizing while not on the clock, phone calls to arrange appointments, constantly balancing money and filling out paperwork. The actually outings/activities with groups/individuals are amazing and I enjoy it a lot. Getting to see each individuals reactions to trying something new or to going somewhere they have wanted to go for a while is priceless.
Some of the management team can be a little frustrating as rules change from week to week it seems and it comes across that each employee has a different set of rules to follow. Which can make the work environment frustrating, and extremely stressful.
Hardest part of the job is the demand put on me to manage everything. I feel the job and all it takes can easily be a full time position, but that is not option.
The reason I continue to do the job day in and day out is simply because of the individuals that are supported. If support coordinators were not there each day, it is the individuals that would miss out and that is not fair to them.
Pros
Experience fun activities with individuals
Cons
Lack of support
Service users make the jobs worth it
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2018
I loved my job with all my heart from the day it started, until its end. Management often falls short when it comes to providing support for their staff and advocating on behalf of clients.