Community Living BC

Community Living BC Employee Reviews

Canada25 reviews

workclientjobpeoplestaffenjoytimeenvironment

Na

Friendly co workers, social culture, stressful due to resource constraints, inability to meet client/family expectations and needs. Get to spend lots of time in the community.

Stressful

CLBC is a union environment that does not encourage staff to work hard. Management is poor and doesn’t listen to front line staff. Pay and benefits are great which is why people stick around

Pros

Great pay. Good benefits

Cons

Not an encouraging environment. Stressful. Working with a limiting budget.

Low wage and too much expectation

Once hired they will demand more from what you were initially hired for. Pay is low for what they expect you to do! No proper training! Managers only care about how much money they make. Work culture is toxic with gossips and office politics. Managers create a dysfunctional team by playing favorites. There is a HUGE gap between the higher management and employees.

Pros

Nothing! Sheer disappointment

Cons

Low wage, high expectation, Heavy workload, no empathy

Terrible place to work!

The environment is toxic with rampant company politics and office gossips. This culture needs to change. Upper management does not care for the entry level employees and their support is non existent. They play office favourites. If you are a fake and a back stabber who lacks empathy, you’ll thrive well here.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, not enough pay, high expectations, stressful work environment.

Low wage job

Low wage job. Once hired they expect you to purchase a vehicle and drive their clients. They don’t pay enough but they want their workers to have vehicles. Great people to work with but at times there is no support for staff.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Low wage

Diverse work, competing priorities and ability to delegate.

It was a fast paced work environment where try to support as many clients while also working within financial budget. Tight knit group of staff that learned how to think outside of the box to support clients.

Great work environment.

This allowed me independent growth as a job coach and taught me many new skills that I have been able to utilize in other areas of life and in other employment opportunities.

An average workplace

Not a great place to work. Networking is the most important factor in this organization. Work efficiency is very low. There is a huge salary gap among staff. Managers just think about their salaries. Hierarchy is everything. Lots of staff are hired based on their network rather their qualifications.

Awesome!

Great culture! The clients are super nice, and easy to get along with. I look forward to going to work every day knowing I'm making a difference in their day.

Supportive valuable work

A good company to work for. Great mentoring; some advancement available but additional post secondary education may be required. Kind supportive staff teams offer you a comfortable place to 'learn on the job'. This is a large company that offers a range of work; most candidates start their careers as casuals but quickly can post into part-time or full time positions. This is a career that you can feel good about.

Great Community

The people that work here are awesome. The salary is quite low but allows entry level applicants a place to begin their career and work with those with disabilities

Wonderful desires, but poor leadership

I spent 4 months training in a half time position. The training was thorough, but I'm still not sure what part the Contract Clerk plays in it all. Some people were nice and the idea throughout the organization was to be accepting and a team, but some people were not so nice and I was forced out. My supervisor was in Prince George and unclear with guidance on what I should be doing and not always available to ask.

Great company to work for

enjoyed working for a company that supports people with disabilities. it was a lovely office environment and received great support from the managers as well as the other team members.

Great place to build a career

I have had some really great growth opportunities in my career with CLBC so far. The leadership that I report to is supportive and wants to know what I think. There is real value to the work that I do, not just making money for some corporation.

Pros

Meaningful work.

Cons

Heavy workload. Only a con if you don't enjoy that.

Head custodian

Good company to work for.Very flexible houres, mostly in house. Self motivated.Great surpot. I would feffinantly recomend this company to anyone that I know.

always has the clients needs first and understands a workers need for life balance

flexible and understanding employer with good ethics and administration. I never had a single problem working there was a charm - it always depends on your rapport with the client with these kind of jobs, but on the management side of things they did good I feel.

Rewarding and satisfying

Working with Community Living BC has given me an appreciation for people of all cultures and abilities. I have matured in this atmosphere and developed a true compassion for and understanding of what my responsibilities are. A typical day will include getting a client up, in some cases deal with their hygiene and physical needs. Distributing medication, providing breakfast. Ensure they are ready for pick up with Handy Dart to take them to their daily program with a packed lunch. Or if no program, plan their day to Sometimes medical/dental appointments are required therefore as a representative assist clients to and from. Allow a calm and relaxing environment for clients to decompress from the day. Provide dinner and any medications. Assist in bedtime routines. I believe the hardest part of this job is when a contract is beginning as there is always an adjustment to living full time with unfamiliar people as you learn their needs and requirements but harder is when a contract is finished or when when a client has passed away adjusting to the loss. The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing a client who grows and develops to their full potential and the journey it takes to get there.

– 17 August 2017
Another thought about CLBC is that the social workers are ever changing as is the system which makes it difficult to have a consistent Employer/Employee relationship. The pay is average although the government announced a wage increase but to date I haven't been notified of any. It doesn't seem that it is on par with cost of living.

Manager

Crown corporation has a great mission and does a lot of great work. Culture is a bit lacking and can get a bit political making it difficult to be effective. Salaries are a bit low, and tools available are often not used very well.

Pros

Good location

Cons

Political

Very fulfilling working with people with special needs.

Connecting with clients with special needs in their home. Providing them a opportunity to expand their capacities and abilities. Give them an environment that is safe and comfortable. Establish a positive, friendly relationship with clients.

Pros

Relationships with clients

Cons

Co-workers sometimes lacking enthusiasm

Contract Care Provider

I was never an employee of Community Living BC. I had contracts with them to provide care for special needs children and adults {foster care, adult care provider} from 1988 - 2015. I can't really even rate them because over the years I worked with many Social Workers. I felt that some were great and others were lacking. I do feel that the pay was not fair across the board with some contract providers making big bucks whilst others made peanuts. I always felt that it was down to how well you were able to manipulate the system and who you knew that made the difference. What can I say - I enjoyed caring and providing a safe environment for the people I cared for.

Good place to work, good managers and staff.

Learned about mentally handicapped facilities; services to children with special needs. Management was very knowledgeable and fair. Can't recall the hardest part of the job because my job wasn't hard to do. The most enjoyable part of the job was completing a contract for a facility that would be able to provide services for a client; services for special needs children.

Pros

Great co-workers

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Community Living BC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement