Community Living Alternative Services Employee Review

View all Community Living Alternative Services reviews

Constant turn over and intimidation as a form of management
Current employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 November 2017
Treat independent subcontractors like dirt. Refuse to treat them in the same manner as regular employees. Still administer paper pay checks as opposed to automatic deposit like most efficiently run businesses these days.
Totally archaic and inefficient administrative practices. Supervisors like to operate by using intimidation and scare tactics. Inflexible and unreasonable demands with no room for making any exceptions.
Incompetency all around.
Pros
Offers varied type of employment
Cons
Do not have any regard for voiced (repeatedly!!) concerns of employees, Not forward-thinking and on an administrative level completely inefficient.
Official response from Community Living Alternative Services
4 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our Agency. Subcontractors are not employees, rather they are contractors that have been contracted to provide Individuals accessing service with 24/7 support in their home. As part of their contract, they are required to maintain a high level of screening and training in order to ensure a safe and supportive environment and effective service to the Individual in their care. These requirements have been set by the disability services sector (not CLAS) and are designed to keep both the Individuals in our care safe and also to protect the Subcontractor in cases of alleged abuse and litigation. The Agency prohibits using scare tactics or intimidation as a form of management, if you would like to review your concerns further, please contact us at humanresources@c-l-a-s.ca.

Other Community Living Alternative Services Employee Reviews

Community disability service practi
Complex Needs Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2019
Cannot speak to the organization in the other program streams though I used to work in the complex needs program, as a community disability support practitioner. I’ll start with pros then lead into the cons.

Pros:

- 4 twelve hour shifts and 3 days off at 25$ per hour. So high range for this field and position
- Decent financial bonuses based on performance and compliance with management
- Minimal paperwork (seemingly very useless minus a few key targeted charts for behaviour modification)
- From past experience If you are looking for a job that requires a minimal level of cognition and critical thinking you will be quite pleased
—————————————————————
Cons:
- Management does not value staff input or the safety of staff
- Supported individuals can constantly verbally and physically assault staff without repercussion
- Job is lacking in any sort of cognitive stimulation. Most of your days will be based around cooking/cleaning and deescalation of potentially violent situations followed by sitting on the couch for hours
- Team work is very strong though unfortunately it sometimes lacks if staff working together do not work well together or have different perspectives on support
- In the time I was working it appeared that documentation and case management is very unprofessional and very basic. If coming from a case management background and you thrive on objective, organized information, you will be disappointed.
- No room to progress your career in this position. This position is a job and will not stimulate you cognitively nor will it promote growth and a career
  more... base. Unfortunately in my experience it is babysitting with the possible chance of getting verbally and physically abused often.
————————————————————-.

*This position will require an individual who is extremely patient, is able to handle constant verbal abuse, potentially constant physical abuse and who prefers to be in a position that requires general house cleaning/cooking, relaxing on the couch or going for walks.*

Overall this position was not for me. I felt it to be a position where I needed very little cognitive capacity and required very little education, critical thinking and physical prowess
One of the worst company
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2019
Favouritism, un equal
Treatment, unfair labor practice. Worst supervisor. They don’t value their employee. Don’t apply in this company. Your efforts and work will be ignored.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Community Living Alternative Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8