Community Living Alternative Services

Community Living Alternative Services Employee Reviews for Support Worker

Support Worker22 reviews
Canada22 reviews

clientsupportstaffhourmanagementworkingcompanytime

Difficult days, definitely need some caring people to work here

Working at CLAS provided for an interesting environment. The benefit was that I worked 48 hours in a row and I had 5 days off. Although they wanted me to work as many hours as I could but I did not want to. It was great being able to sleep at night, but some houses you could possibly not get a great sleep. It is sad to see how minimal you are paid, especially for the clientele that you had. I get sad that people with disabilities are somehow on the bottom of the totem pole for those who work in Social Work. It should not be treated that way. This work is hard but it can be quite fun. I spent many days on walks, going to Banff, hanging out with the clients and seeing them have fun. I know that 'safe rooms' can be a little scary, but I am thankful for a place where the clients can feel safe when they are struggling with their emotions.

Pros

Your 40 hours week could be done in 2 days

Cons

Pay, long hours if you want, boring when the client cannot spend money and go anywhere-you become their entertainment.

Friendly and safe environment

Effective and safety environment, flexible staff always behind you, enjoying morning routine singing welcome song for everybody while playing my guitar , on special occasions like birthdays we never fail to sing together birthday song, also had fun on doing morning exercise or stretching for those able to, entertained challenging but interesting individual's issues or concern about. Glad on our monthly Speak up meeting, that everybody is encouraged to participate to say something independently, and we end up from reminding individual's right and safety in the community.

Pros

Potlucks and surprise birthdays of co - workers

Cons

N/a

Insights into Community Living Alternative Services

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility

Very productive & fun working environment

Good work culture & very supportive management. It is a fun work atmosphere with very supportive colleagues. Excellent work like balance. You don’t feel that you work for individuals but live with them.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Long hours good pay

This place is a joke

This work place is toxic and very unprofessional. You have supervisors that date staff within the company. The staff tend to do whatever they want. As a support staff you can’t grow at all

Pros

Salary

Cons

Everything else

One of the worst company

Favouritism, un equal Treatment, unfair labor practice. Worst supervisor. They don’t value their employee. Don’t apply in this company. Your efforts and work will be ignored.

Fun Place to work

the hardest part of the job is when you have to deal with individuals having behaviors. typical day includes going out with the individuals to mingle within the community. Writing reports on daily basis and Incident reporting. Monitor individual both day and night against all activities.

Hang on tight, you are in for a bumpy ride.

If you have a chance to go somewhere else I'd recommend seriously looking at it. This place will chew you up and spit you out without a second thought. -Unqualified and incompetent management. -Unqualified and incompetent staff. -Culture of favoritism and nepotism. -100% agency centered care. -Unapproachable HR dept., used as enforcers. -Lack of staff support. -Inappropriate relationships. -Inappropriate staff conduct. -General lack of concern for the well being of the individuals in support. The list goes on. This place is all about the money, everything else is a secondary concern. Some of the things I've seen happen here would make your head spin. Constant staff and lower level management turnover. The last people I would want to contact is HR as that would surely put a target on my back. Unless you are friends with someone in management your job security here is next to none. If you do happen to be related to or friends with someone in management, feel free to come do nothing, take programs in a backwards direction, generally be a negative influence and you will have a home for many years to come. I would never put a loved one or family member in this agencies care.

Pros

The Individuals in support. Bonuses.

Cons

Management. Unqualified and disinterested staff.

not the worst

issues with management high turn over rate staff are two faced and make life hard no job security they bounce you around can make good money if you keep your head down and work like a slave not the worst job. i love my individuals

Pros

can make good money

Cons

tons

Productive and fun place

Great clients, paid once a month. Great staff, enjoyed my time there but wanted to not work with high risk clients as I needed to further education first before working there.

An enjoyable experience overall

Worked in group home setting with clients who had a variety of developmental disorders. I worked at many different work places across Calgary which had different work place cultures. Some were more organized than others, however, I enjoyed that fact that I had relatively flexible schedule. This work place also gives bonuses to its employees several times a year, which was probably the most enjoyable part of the job. This company has many changes in management while I was there, which contributed to this being a disorganized setting at times.

community service worker

worked with clients in the community prompting positive behvavior and working as team. loved my job even though it was temporary. learned how to deal with challening behaviours in adults.

Pros

Fun environment

Great clients, Poor Management

Hours are long, you are treated quite poorly as a staff member, your rights and your voice are secondary to the "bottom line" of the Company. People can be overworked and at times this can detract from the important work that we do with the individuals. Management and Leadership teams treat staff very poorly, create environments that are detrimental to staff well being, and at times exhibit behaviour that is extremely unprofessional, which unfortunately goes unchecked.

Pros

Co-workers and clients are awesome to work with

Cons

Terrible Management and Leadership

Residential Support Worker

• Worked alongside individuals with developmental and severe behavioral disorders • Identified and defined problems • Referred individuals to the necessary professionals

Only positive is coworkers and clients, upper management TERRIBLE

Long hours, relatively low pay... but you can make a lot of money because you are working over 100 hours a week sometimes... there is little to no guidance from upper management and if something goes wrong...you will be the first to blame probably... upper management operates on a very much like personal basis and if they do not like you watch out! inappropriate relationships between supervisors and staff it seems.. coordinators seem to be very self driven with a lack of care for staff it appears.. business is run like a dictatorship it feels like. On call supervisors pretty much ask what you would do rather than give instruction on how to handle different crises...can be very rude and get angry with staff it appears.. Good parts of the job would be the clients, they are great and lots of different outtings you can go on with them that help their lives. Coworkers make the days fun and can be very supportive with the high-stress demands of the job

Pros

clients, coworkers

Cons

upper management!!!! long hours, expected to work, will be called on your days off

22 March 2017
Thank you for taking the time to review our agency. CLAS strives to create the best environment for Individuals accessing services, as well as our employees. CLAS takes every comment and complaint very seriously. Instances of favoritism and unnecessary blame do not follow our values, beliefs, or policies. If you would please contact us at humanresources@c-l-a-s.ca so we can further investigate this issue and help make the CLAS community better.

Suitable place to work

Great work environments with a positive effect on staff productivity, engagement, wellness, and company culture. Assessment and planning were the designing of the workplace that best fits the type of work conducted, it’s flow, and the preferences of employees. Highly productive working environment, we had to know the priorities of our staff, how they carry out their tasks, and what environmental aspects that made their work lives more satisfying.

22 March 2017
Thank you for taking the time to review our agency. CLAS takes pride in the service we provide. Could you please contact us at humanresources@c-l-a-s.ca so we can award the Individuals that provide service that goes above and beyond. The CLAS community thanks you for helping us improve.

Money hungry management

It was abundantly clear that the main focus of this company is NOT the clients they serve. It is MONEY. Almost all management I encountered thought themselves to be experts in the field and yet there was no real outlined process of support. I heard of nightmarish episodes and issues from the group homes and day programs alike - in almost every location as well. Staff and management definitely plays favorites, both with other staff, and clients. And lord help you if you have any problems with your paycheque - office and administration staff is a gong show. I would strongly recommend working elsewhere if you can, and I would never hire this company for any member of my family.

Pros

Beautiful and inspiring clients

Cons

Management and Administration, poor programming, lack of true interest in the field of business

21 March 2017
Thank you for taking the time to review our agency. The CLAS community is consistently making an effort to improve every aspect of the agency. Some of the aspects you described above do not portray what CLAS is striving to do. Please contact us at humanresources@c-l-a-s.ca to provide more information that will help make a difference in the quality of service we provide.

Agency has gone down hill

I used to enjoy working for CLAS. My supervisor/coordinator was very supportive/understanding and really knew the clients. She looked out for the best interest of the individuals and ensured that the staff were able to properly support them. Since she left the place has gone downhill. No support from supervisors and management, no longer client centered, just a terrible place to work.

Pros

clients

Cons

Supervisors/management

21 March 2017
CLAS takes pride in the service we provide. We are sorry for the changes that have impacted you, could you please contact us at humanresources@c-l-a-s.ca so we can continue to improve the quality of our services and workplace, and find out where it went wrong. CLAS believes in an environment and community where everyone can enjoy the work they do or the service they receive.

Would not recommend this company

Clients are challenging but great. Management is very cold and unsupportive to employees. Client homes are extremely run down, and long working hours without overtime, Expectation for use of own vehicle and expenses for client outings, no reinversment for gas or paid for events/activities... (Rather an expectation as part of the job). Company doesn't honour / follow through on promises Many unsafe working conditions ... Expectation to Transport clients with dangerous behaviour alone where client may potentially cause serious accidents. Employees experience a supervising staff who play favouritism. A difficult place to work if you care about doing a quality job for your employer.

Pros

The clients are super

Cons

The management team lacks a human perspective

A good place to learn how to interact and deal with unique individuals

Knowing that people are different in many ways some have disadvantages that hinders their plans and goals in life. As a worker I am their to support and serve as an advocate to those special People.

Residential Support worker (Former Employee)

Horrible management and many non-qualified staff. High turnover. Harassment in the workplace is common at CLAS. You can make a lot of money working 72+ hours a week. Some of the clients are extremely challenging and they think nothing of hiring high school grads to work with them. Would not recommend working for CLAS.

Pros

Lots of hours

Cons

Poor management

Great job

Enjoyed my time at this company great pay awesome hours very good experience. I would recommend working for this company if you get the opportunity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Community Living Alternative Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement