Community Living Alternative Services Employee Reviews for Support Worker

One of the worst company
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2019
Favouritism, un equal
Treatment, unfair labor practice. Worst supervisor. They don’t value their employee. Don’t apply in this company. Your efforts and work will be ignored.
Hang on tight, you are in for a bumpy ride.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, AB25 March 2019
If you have a chance to go somewhere else I'd recommend seriously looking at it. This place will chew you up and spit you out without a second thought.

-Unqualified and incompetent management.
-Unqualified and incompetent staff.
-Culture of favoritism and nepotism.
-100% agency centered care.
-Unapproachable HR dept., used as enforcers.
-Lack of staff support.
-Inappropriate relationships.
-Inappropriate staff conduct.
-General lack of concern for the well being of the individuals in support.

The list goes on.

This place is all about the money, everything else is a secondary concern. Some of the things I've seen happen here would make your head spin. Constant staff and lower level management turnover. The last people I would want to contact is HR as that would surely put a target on my back. Unless you are friends with someone in management your job security here is next to none. If you do happen to be related to or friends with someone in management, feel free to come do nothing, take programs in a backwards direction, generally be a negative influence and you will have a home for many years to come.

I would never put a loved one or family member in this agencies care.
Pros
The Individuals in support. Bonuses.
Cons
Management. Unqualified and disinterested staff.
not the worst
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, AB14 March 2019
issues with management
high turn over rate
staff are two faced and make life hard
no job security
they bounce you around
can make good money if you keep your head down and work like a slave
not the worst job. i love my individuals
Pros
can make good money
Cons
tons
Productive and fun place
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 September 2018
Great clients, paid once a month. Great staff, enjoyed my time there but wanted to not work with high risk clients as I needed to further education first before working there.
An enjoyable experience overall
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 July 2018
Worked in group home setting with clients who had a variety of developmental disorders. I worked at many different work places across Calgary which had different work place cultures. Some were more organized than others, however, I enjoyed that fact that I had relatively flexible schedule. This work place also gives bonuses to its employees several times a year, which was probably the most enjoyable part of the job. This company has many changes in management while I was there, which contributed to this being a disorganized setting at times.
community service worker
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB8 June 2017
worked with clients in the community prompting positive behvavior and working as team. loved my job even though it was temporary. learned how to deal with challening behaviours in adults.
Pros
Fun environment
Great clients, Poor Management
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 May 2017
Hours are long, you are treated quite poorly as a staff member, your rights and your voice are secondary to the "bottom line" of the Company. People can be overworked and at times this can detract from the important work that we do with the individuals. Management and Leadership teams treat staff very poorly, create environments that are detrimental to staff well being, and at times exhibit behaviour that is extremely unprofessional, which unfortunately goes unchecked.
Pros
Co-workers and clients are awesome to work with
Cons
Terrible Management and Leadership
Residential Support Worker
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2017
• Worked alongside individuals with developmental and severe behavioral disorders
• Identified and defined problems
• Referred individuals to the necessary professionals
Only positive is coworkers and clients, upper management TERRIBLE
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 March 2017
Long hours, relatively low pay... but you can make a lot of money because you are working over 100 hours a week sometimes... there is little to no guidance from upper management and if something goes wrong...you will be the first to blame probably... upper management operates on a very much like personal basis and if they do not like you watch out! inappropriate relationships between supervisors and staff it seems.. coordinators seem to be very self driven with a lack of care for staff it appears.. business is run like a dictatorship it feels like. On call supervisors pretty much ask what you would do rather than give instruction on how to handle different crises...can be very rude and get angry with staff it appears..
Good parts of the job would be the clients, they are great and lots of different outtings you can go on with them that help their lives. Coworkers make the days fun and can be very supportive with the high-stress demands of the job
Pros
clients, coworkers
Cons
upper management!!!! long hours, expected to work, will be called on your days off
22 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our agency. CLAS strives to create the best environment for Individuals accessing services, as well as our employees. CLAS takes every comment and complaint very seriously. Instances of favoritism and unnecessary blame do not follow our values, beliefs, or policies. If you would please contact us at humanresources@c-l-a-s.ca so we can further investigate this issue and help make the CLAS community better.

Suitable place to work
Resident Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary10 January 2017
Great work environments with a positive effect on staff productivity, engagement, wellness, and company culture. Assessment and planning were the designing of the workplace that best fits the type of work conducted, it’s flow, and the preferences of employees.

Highly productive working environment, we had to know the priorities of our staff, how they carry out their tasks, and what environmental aspects that made their work lives more satisfying.
22 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our agency. CLAS takes pride in the service we provide. Could you please contact us at humanresources@c-l-a-s.ca so we can award the Individuals that provide service that goes above and beyond. The CLAS community thanks you for helping us improve.

Money hungry management
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB3 October 2016
It was abundantly clear that the main focus of this company is NOT the clients they serve. It is MONEY. Almost all management I encountered thought themselves to be experts in the field and yet there was no real outlined process of support. I heard of nightmarish episodes and issues from the group homes and day programs alike - in almost every location as well. Staff and management definitely plays favorites, both with other staff, and clients. And lord help you if you have any problems with your paycheque - office and administration staff is a gong show. I would strongly recommend working elsewhere if you can, and I would never hire this company for any member of my family.
Pros
Beautiful and inspiring clients
Cons
Management and Administration, poor programming, lack of true interest in the field of business
21 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our agency. The CLAS community is consistently making an effort to improve every aspect of the agency. Some of the aspects you described above do not portray what CLAS is striving to do. Please contact us at humanresources@c-l-a-s.ca to provide more information that will help make a difference in the quality of service we provide.

Agency has gone down hill
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB26 September 2016
I used to enjoy working for CLAS. My supervisor/coordinator was very supportive/understanding and really knew the clients. She looked out for the best interest of the individuals and ensured that the staff were able to properly support them. Since she left the place has gone downhill. No support from supervisors and management, no longer client centered, just a terrible place to work.
Pros
clients
Cons
Supervisors/management
21 March 2017

CLAS takes pride in the service we provide. We are sorry for the changes that have impacted you, could you please contact us at humanresources@c-l-a-s.ca so we can continue to improve the quality of our services and workplace, and find out where it went wrong. CLAS believes in an environment and community where everyone can enjoy the work they do or the service they receive.

Would not recommend this company
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Alberta7 June 2016
Clients are challenging but great.
Management is very cold and unsupportive to employees.
Client homes are extremely run down, and long working hours without overtime,
Expectation for use of own vehicle and expenses for client outings, no reinversment for gas or paid for events/activities... (Rather an expectation as part of the job).

Company doesn't honour / follow through on promises

Many unsafe working conditions ... Expectation to Transport clients with dangerous behaviour alone where client may potentially cause serious accidents.

Employees experience a supervising staff who play favouritism.

A difficult place to work if you care about doing a quality job for your employer.
Pros
The clients are super
Cons
The management team lacks a human perspective
A good place to learn how to interact and deal with unique individuals
Day Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Ab20 July 2015
Knowing that people are different in many ways some have disadvantages that hinders their plans and goals in life. As a worker I am their to support and serve as an advocate to those special People.
Residential Support worker (Former Employee)
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Alberta11 July 2015
Horrible management and many non-qualified staff. High turnover. Harassment in the workplace is common at CLAS. You can make a lot of money working 72+ hours a week. Some of the clients are extremely challenging and they think nothing of hiring high school grads to work with them.
Would not recommend working for CLAS.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Poor management
Great job
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 June 2015
Enjoyed my time at this company great pay awesome hours very good experience. I would recommend working for this company if you get the opportunity.
Great for working with people
Residential support worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary22 April 2015
Terrible management, in experienced, Poor living conditions. Very high rate of turn over for staff. Clients are great