Community Living Alternative Services Employee Reviews

Flexible schedule
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, AB10 August 2019
Good place to work, but could be better. The programs are well suited to the individuals and the agency takes time to meet the needs of their staff. It is a melting pot for multiculturalism.
Awesome planlce to work with good supervisors.I Enjoy working at CLAS and im still a front line staff.
Residential Support Program (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 July 2019
Great team players and good management.

I'm so happy to be part of the team and contributing towards the welfare, safety and improving quality of life of the individuals I support on daily basis.
Pros
None.
Cons
Good hours and flexibility.
Another one bites the dust and it will probably be you
Community Disability Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 May 2019
the reviews on here speak for themselves. this is high school all over again.
some houses are in bad bad condition. some have gophers, bugs, mold, mice. appears to be much favortism in management. many friends of management come before other employees when schedule comes out. if you are not liked personality you are a walking target.
it is to funny that hr responds on here saying to contact them directly but you have to go through management before contacting them when you are a working staff ?
good balance between life and work because you can work a lot of hours in a short time period and have many days off.
the clients make the job fun and some shift partners are nice.
Pros
clients
Cons
same as the other reviews - management
Good expereince
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary27 March 2019
I learned lots working at this company! Great experience.

They have alot of growth in all areas that they could improve on.
Management style is terrible and they are expected to do so much with no time to do it.
Hang on tight, you are in for a bumpy ride.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, AB25 March 2019
If you have a chance to go somewhere else I'd recommend seriously looking at it. This place will chew you up and spit you out without a second thought.

-Unqualified and incompetent management.
-Unqualified and incompetent staff.
-Culture of favoritism and nepotism.
-100% agency centered care.
-Unapproachable HR dept., used as enforcers.
-Lack of staff support.
-Inappropriate relationships.
-Inappropriate staff conduct.
-General lack of concern for the well being of the individuals in support.

The list goes on.

This place is all about the money, everything else is a secondary concern. Some of the things I've seen happen here would make your head spin. Constant staff and lower level management turnover. The last people I would want to contact is HR as that would surely put a target on my back. Unless you are friends with someone in management your job security here is next to none. If you do happen to be related to or friends with someone in management, feel free to come do nothing, take programs in a backwards direction, generally be a negative influence and you will have a home for many years to come.

I would never put a loved one or family member in this agencies care.
Pros
The Individuals in support. Bonuses.
Cons
Management. Unqualified and disinterested staff.
not the worst
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, AB14 March 2019
issues with management
high turn over rate
staff are two faced and make life hard
no job security
they bounce you around
can make good money if you keep your head down and work like a slave
not the worst job. i love my individuals
Pros
can make good money
Cons
tons
Productive and a fun place to be.
Community Resource Facilitator (CRF) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2019
I work full time at CLAS. I've learned a lot since I got hired with CLAS. I've worked with people who are low functioning as well as the people who are very high functioning. I started with CLAS as a social worker. I worked as a social worker for a year and now I've become a community resource facilitator (CRF). The hardest part of my job is actually the responsibility that we have when it comes to supporting an individual. I love my job because I wanted to make a difference in the world. I believe that supporting someone can be very manageable even though it seems very hard. A lot of people don't know how to support individuals.
Productive and fun place
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 September 2018
Great clients, paid once a month. Great staff, enjoyed my time there but wanted to not work with high risk clients as I needed to further education first before working there.
An enjoyable experience overall
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 July 2018
Worked in group home setting with clients who had a variety of developmental disorders. I worked at many different work places across Calgary which had different work place cultures. Some were more organized than others, however, I enjoyed that fact that I had relatively flexible schedule. This work place also gives bonuses to its employees several times a year, which was probably the most enjoyable part of the job. This company has many changes in management while I was there, which contributed to this being a disorganized setting at times.
Diversity
Residential Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 May 2018
the organizational culture was a good fit for me.
there was a balance between work life and home
Management skills, organizational skills was developed
Great Agency & Great Staff
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2018
This company is amazing! I've never worked with an agency that you feel so involved in. All the staff are amazing, always friendly and positive, the management is approachable, caring and dedicated to making CLAS the best it can be. It is a client centered agency and all programs are designed for the client. I am so blessed to work in such a great agency.
Pros
Great staff, Great management, Flexibility, Great Job, Great Work Environment
Cons
Constant turn over and intimidation as a form of management
Current employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 November 2017
Treat independent subcontractors like dirt. Refuse to treat them in the same manner as regular employees. Still administer paper pay checks as opposed to automatic deposit like most efficiently run businesses these days.
Totally archaic and inefficient administrative practices. Supervisors like to operate by using intimidation and scare tactics. Inflexible and unreasonable demands with no room for making any exceptions.
Incompetency all around.
Pros
Offers varied type of employment
Cons
Do not have any regard for voiced (repeatedly!!) concerns of employees, Not forward-thinking and on an administrative level completely inefficient.
4 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our Agency. Subcontractors are not employees, rather they are contractors that have been contracted to provide Individuals accessing service with 24/7 support in their home. As part of their contract, they are required to maintain a high level of screening and training in order to ensure a safe and supportive environment and effective service to the Individual in their care. These requirements have been set by the disability services sector (not CLAS) and are designed to keep both the Individuals in our care safe and also to protect the Subcontractor in cases of alleged abuse and litigation. The Agency prohibits using scare tactics or intimidation as a form of management, if you would like to review your concerns further, please contact us at humanresources@c-l-a-s.ca.

It is a very socialabkle atomspher
Supportive Living Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2017
it is a great company,I enjoy working there.the people are great to work with.The work culture is good.
The salary is not bad.The social activities is excellent.
Very incompetent bunch of money hungry management
Community Disability Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 October 2017
This company at best is a business venture that cares nothing for the staff nor the clients. They are also very punitive. They will ask you to do something outside of your job responsibilities or something unsafe and when you decline, they either fire you or write you up. They sometimes will make staff work with high risk clients that have been funded for two staffs to work alone. This company will end up With the biggest liability soon.
Pros
They will use you till you drop which translates to opportunities to work more and make more money
Cons
They don't believe in paying overtime and will make you work alone with high risk clients.
22 November 2017

Poor
Developmental Disabilities Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB13 August 2017
An environment of nepotism, hypocrisy and division prevails ...to the detriment of workers who are truly passionate about inclusion, advocacy and holistic support of individuals with disabilities.
17 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our agency. The CLAS community is consistently trying to improve every aspect of the Agency, including the working environment. Please contact us at humanresources@c-l-a-s.ca to provide more information that will help make a difference in the quality of service we provide.

Narrowminded company with little to no support for staff
Community Resource Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 August 2017
Unfortunately, this company is not open to new and forward thinking concepts. There is no support for staff in regards to management, which breeds resentment and burnout. The moral is very low and it seems everyone is out for themselves. Very disappointing considering what this company is supposed to stand for.
Cons
no work life balance, low pay, lack of respect from management
11 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our agency. CLAS practices the Agency values of; respect for the rights and dignity of persons, dignity of risk, responsible and safe caring, integrity of relationships, social responsibility, community connections (Inclusion), and accessibility, in all of our affairs. The instances described above clearly do not follow our values, beliefs, or policies. If you would please contact us at humanresources@c-l-a-s.ca so we can further investigate this issue and help make the CLAS community better for Individuals accessing services as well as the employee support community.

community service worker
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB8 June 2017
worked with clients in the community prompting positive behvavior and working as team. loved my job even though it was temporary. learned how to deal with challening behaviours in adults.
Pros
Fun environment
Great clients, Poor Management
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 May 2017
Hours are long, you are treated quite poorly as a staff member, your rights and your voice are secondary to the "bottom line" of the Company. People can be overworked and at times this can detract from the important work that we do with the individuals. Management and Leadership teams treat staff very poorly, create environments that are detrimental to staff well being, and at times exhibit behaviour that is extremely unprofessional, which unfortunately goes unchecked.
Pros
Co-workers and clients are awesome to work with
Cons
Terrible Management and Leadership
Very loving and caring Team Members
Youth Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 May 2017
I enjoyed working with this company, my learning did not stop, they always had workshops for their employers to attend. The company entailed travelling from community to community and several cities in Canada, this made the job more exciting. I worked with a group of lovely women who were not just co-workers but became family.
Pros
Paid travel, paid education and training
Cons
Time away from family when you travel
Residential Support Worker
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2017
• Worked alongside individuals with developmental and severe behavioral disorders
• Identified and defined problems
• Referred individuals to the necessary professionals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Community Living Alternative Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9