Community Living

Community Living Employee Reviews

Must love working with clients with developmental disabilities

Your have to be focused on the needs of the clients at all time because they are your priority.I always gave my 101% because they deserve the Best!It’s unfortunate that you encounter toxic staff, managers and even some bad apples 🍎 higher at the very top but overall I keep fond memories of all the clients and staff that know me as a caring and respectful person.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Long hours (stuck in doubles) toxic environment

Toxic work environment

The management micromanages and seem to enjoy reprimanding their staff. It is difficult to get time off as there are not enough staff to cover. The employees in the homes are burnt out and miserable. This was not a good experience. I feel sorry for the people living in these group homes.

Pros

Clean group homes

Cons

Managment

Every day brings something new

Have worked with the company for more than 3 years, and I've found myself consistently challenged to be a better professional. Each day brings with it new opportunities to success, and I've met and learned from some pretty incredible people along the way.

Pros

Professional Development, Small tokens of Appreciation

Cons

Sometimes extra hours

Competitive Wages, Consistent Work, Poor Work/Life Balance

My review pertains strictly to the part-time positions at CLL. The pay is competitive and you receive a block of shifts that never change. You have the opportunity to pick up shifts on top of your block if you choose. The training the agency provides (and compensation for training) is incredible and very relevant to your work in the homes. There are many opportunities to grow as a professional and really make your work with the people supported meaningful and impactful. Staff within the homes are supportive, helpful, and always encouraging of one another. Work/life balance is poor if you work another job. CLL rarely approves part-time vacation requests (despite part-time being entitled to 2 weeks of the year, unpaid). A lot of part-time staff admit to feeling burn-out due to this. Definitely try to plan your life around your block of shifts if you ever want to take time away.

Pros

Competitive wages, Consistent shifts

Authoritative management and HR

Management/HR treat staff as if they are children, it's a very oppressive environment to work in. Burnout is high due to lack of support from managers

A good place to work!

Fantastic individuals are supported and the agency philosophy aligns with my own. Management is cOnsiderate and easy to deal with and usually supports their in employees. I enjoyed my time here.

Pros

Supported individuals, thoughtful management

Very toxic environment

The work schedule is designed to suit the needs of the full timers in which they represent only 15 % of the overall employees , lots of manual paper work which takes lots of time, the pay is the worst at $19 for frontliner workers meanwhile the management are making the sunshine list.

Pros

Non

Cons

Schedule changes every 6 weeks, low pay, no benefits, high turn over.

Fun and awesome place

Very friendly place- busy at times-clients are great. can be long hours during the weekend but there’s always something to do- and residents are great to be around and care for.

Pros

Teamwork

Cons

Good in terms of gaining experience

You will learn from this place and take knowledge with you but the organization is terrible here. Management is very poor as there eis a lot of power struggles. Staffs physical safety and job security is very poor. You will understand what your personal levels are. How to manage your patience and where you fit/belong. Good only for first job.

Pros

Some experience

Cons

The entire company

Management is horrible

Work has become checking boxes off. Management micromanaged and sucks the life out of you. “Person centered” is a box you check for ministry, the individuals lives have completely been stifled. Management is petty, unprofessional and inexperienced. They act on gossip and foster a workplace of throwing each other under the bus. It’s management heavy, they’ve added layers of management and complain they have no money.

Pros

The individual residents

Cons

Everything management

Jobs at Community Living

See more jobs

It was an ok work place.

Hours were good, job was what was described, no unpleasant surprises. Chances to move up in the company if desired. Could work at other locations if desired.

Very stressful agency

CLT is run like a company. They say that the priority is the clients, and that is far from the truth! They never have money or funding for the clients. I worked at a home for Autistic youth which had some youth running out the front door, others engaging in property destruction, some who break into the kitchen and break the cupboard to get out knives or touch the stove when it is on, etc... Often times I was the only staff there from 8 AM-11 AM needing to get clients on the bus and manage all of the others and their behaviours. Plus being a case manager, I still had to do my paperwork. The clients were not the issue, the clients were communicating things and management would not listen or care. I had supervisors that did try very hard to support us and the clients and get more funding, but management NEVER cared! The pay was also garbage. I made more money as a relief worker and part-time than I did as a case manager. To put it into perspective after I left They hired new case mamangers all who quit within the week.

Pros

When you are full time your schedule becomes more flexible

Cons

Management is terrible and does not support the staff at all

Meh

The only positive about CLM is being involved with support individuals. Management and HR's handle on Covid outbreaks was below poor. They have shown in many cares they don't care about the staff just about having the shifts covered. Internal hiring is very competitive with a point based interview score. Your good deeds and hard will is barely noticed. So good luck if someone scores 1 point higher than you and your manager might claim "they have no say.". Part timers good luck finding coverage for a shift and the on call manager is useless as well. Even in the event of a family emergency (ex: accident/hospital). Unfortunate that growth in the organization is so difficult. I could go on forever about the terrible experiences myself and my coworkers have had. Some staff at other locations are questionable on their "technique/work ethic". This field is all about empathy and that should be for staff as well but there is barely even sympathy or understanding especially during a recent covid outbreak.

Pros

Supporting individuals

Cons

No coverage, lack of empathy, poor management, slow growth

easy going workplace with amazing opportunities

Working there was like a vacation, super nice people, very rewarding job. I felt very at home, everyone was very welcoming and helpful when I first started.

One hand doesn't know what the other is doing

Poor communication across agency, policies are different depending on supervisor. Constant stress, employee burnout, no support or consistency.Supports themselves are fun and engaging, the individuals are wonderful to work with.

Pros

Supporting the individuals, community events

Cons

Forced to extend, management

Best place I have ever worked

I would honestly recommend anyone to work here! Amazing environment and amazing staff! It's a full team and everyone is there to help you out! They provide so much support and training, there is no going wrong with working here!

Pros

Teams are amazing

Cons

Shift work

Amazing place

Community living has amazing programs. The staff are kind and inviting, the people supported are also sweet! Everyone (people supported and employees) are patient while learning. Overall AWESOME!

Pros

Friendly environment. Scheduling. Good wage. Fun daily activities!

Management is horrid.

The management is full of gossiping high schoolers with no regard for anyone but themselves. When COVID-19 made its rise in the world, the good sardines were replaced with pop can tabs. It was one way or the highway without a true regard for the individuals who needed support from us, the people who keep us and the company employed.

Pros

Helping others, enhancing quality of life.

Cons

Management.

Good pay

The pay her is good in comparison to other community living locations in the area. However the hours are not convenient for a single mother as not many day shifts are available. You have to be part time relief prior to becoming full time which is hard to get enough hours to cover the bills. The people who work here live their job and are deticated to the clients they serve. Overall good place to work.

Pros

Free meals

Cons

Long and odd hours

Decent place to start

I was hired after school and it has been a decent job but there is not much room for advancement unless you are a dsw. The pay is doesn't seem to fit the job. It's physically and mentally draining. Hours are all over unless you have seniority and have been there for ever. There is no pension and the benefits are standard, but nice to have. Good place to get experience but the staff is tired and short and alot of them seem miserable. Probably burnt out.

Pros

Laid back environment. No education needed

Cons

Pay is ok to start but should increase more often. No pension.

Volunteer work

With the volunteer work I have done over the two years of doing adult up grading I had fun giving too my community of ile-a-la crosse, Sk . I learned a lot about giving too people and learned a lot about building creative things too give . I am still completely open too learning new things as I go on in life and would love too learn new work experiences .

Pros

Great learning experience

Cons

Not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Community Living. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement