Community Living

Community Living Employee Reviews

Hours were good, job was what was described, no unpleasant surprises. Chances to move up in the company if desired. Could work at other locations if desired.
You will learn from this place and take knowledge with you but the organization is terrible here. Management is very poor as there eis a lot of power struggles. Staffs physical safety and job security is very poor. You will understand what your personal levels are. How to manage your patience and where you fit/belong. Good only for first job.
Pros
Some experience
Cons
The entire company
Low wage job. Once hired they expect you to purchase a vehicle and drive their clients. They don’t pay enough but they want their workers to have vehicles. Great people to work with but at times there is no support for staff.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Low wage
Work has become checking boxes off. Management micromanaged and sucks the life out of you. “Person centered” is a box you check for ministry, the individuals lives have completely been stifled. Management is petty, unprofessional and inexperienced. They act on gossip and foster a workplace of throwing each other under the bus. It’s management heavy, they’ve added layers of management and complain they have no money.
Pros
The individual residents
Cons
Everything management
CLT is run like a company. They say that the priority is the clients, and that is far from the truth! They never have money or funding for the clients. I worked at a home for Autistic youth which had some youth running out the front door, others engaging in property destruction, some who break into the kitchen and break the cupboard to get out knives or touch the stove when it is on, etc... Often times I was the only staff there from 8 AM-11 AM needing to get clients on the bus and manage all of the others and their behaviours. Plus being a case manager, I still had to do my paperwork. The clients were not the issue, the clients were communicating things and management would not listen or care. I had supervisors that did try very hard to support us and the clients and get more funding, but management NEVER cared! The pay was also garbage. I made more money as a relief worker and part-time than I did as a case manager. To put it into perspective after I left They hired new case mamangers all who quit within the week.
Pros
When you are full time your schedule becomes more flexible
Cons
Management is terrible and does not support the staff at all
The only positive about CLM is being involved with support individuals. Management and HR's handle on Covid outbreaks was below poor. They have shown in many cares they don't care about the staff just about having the shifts covered. Internal hiring is very competitive with a point based interview score. Your good deeds and hard will is barely noticed. So good luck if someone scores 1 point higher than you and your manager might claim "they have no say.". Part timers good luck finding coverage for a shift and the on call manager is useless as well. Even in the event of a family emergency (ex: accident/hospital). Unfortunate that growth in the organization is so difficult. I could go on forever about the terrible experiences myself and my coworkers have had. Some staff at other locations are questionable on their "technique/work ethic". This field is all about empathy and that should be for staff as well but there is barely even sympathy or understanding especially during a recent covid outbreak.
Pros
Supporting individuals
Cons
No coverage, lack of empathy, poor management, slow growth
Working there was like a vacation, super nice people, very rewarding job. I felt very at home, everyone was very welcoming and helpful when I first started.
Poor communication across agency, policies are different depending on supervisor. Constant stress, employee burnout, no support or consistency.Supports themselves are fun and engaging, the individuals are wonderful to work with.
Pros
Supporting the individuals, community events
Cons
Forced to extend, management
I would honestly recommend anyone to work here! Amazing environment and amazing staff! It's a full team and everyone is there to help you out! They provide so much support and training, there is no going wrong with working here!
Pros
Teams are amazing
Cons
Shift work
Community living has amazing programs. The staff are kind and inviting, the people supported are also sweet! Everyone (people supported and employees) are patient while learning. Overall AWESOME!
Pros
Friendly environment. Scheduling. Good wage. Fun daily activities!
The management is full of gossiping high schoolers with no regard for anyone but themselves. When COVID-19 made its rise in the world, the good sardines were replaced with pop can tabs. It was one way or the highway without a true regard for the individuals who needed support from us, the people who keep us and the company employed.
Pros
Helping others, enhancing quality of life.
Cons
Management.
The pay her is good in comparison to other community living locations in the area. However the hours are not convenient for a single mother as not many day shifts are available. You have to be part time relief prior to becoming full time which is hard to get enough hours to cover the bills. The people who work here live their job and are deticated to the clients they serve. Overall good place to work.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Long and odd hours
I was hired after school and it has been a decent job but there is not much room for advancement unless you are a dsw. The pay is doesn't seem to fit the job. It's physically and mentally draining. Hours are all over unless you have seniority and have been there for ever. There is no pension and the benefits are standard, but nice to have. Good place to get experience but the staff is tired and short and alot of them seem miserable. Probably burnt out.
Pros
Laid back environment. No education needed
Cons
Pay is ok to start but should increase more often. No pension.
With the volunteer work I have done over the two years of doing adult up grading I had fun giving too my community of ile-a-la crosse, Sk . I learned a lot about giving too people and learned a lot about building creative things too give . I am still completely open too learning new things as I go on in life and would love too learn new work experiences .
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Not enough hours
Working in Specialized Supports involves working as a team and participating fully in the program established for the well being of the clients. Enjoyable experience.
Pros
Paid for full shift
Cons
No assigned breaks possible
Very toxic environment. High school back stabbing attitudes. No follow ups, no positive feedback, no support. Lack of empathy. Years of service and above and beyond job expectations and no regard for any of it
I enjoyed working with the residents but staff are there for themselves. Advancement is based on seniority and getting full time takes more than 10 years to move up the ladder to full time. The union reps are there for the full time staff. When I had to have surgery there was no financial aid from WSIB because I was part time. No modification to return to work and I was told to return 100% or stay off until then. When I was looking for another job no one could be reached for a reference. They just wouldn’t return my calls or potential employers calls.
Pros
Good hourly pay rate
Cons
No benefits for part time, poor management staff unless you’re a good friend.
CLM doesn't care about your life outside of work. They aren't flexible with hours, they always tell you that there is room for advancement....there isn't. You have to work 750 hrs and 1 year before you get a small pay increase. Management just push paperwork for the ministry and expect staff to all the grunt work. Take extra trainings offered as they pay you for them. They don't like staff that do overtime hours, because they don't want to pay you for overtime. Part-time employees work crazy hours and are expected to work all holidays and weekends, no sick days, no mental health breaks and no benefits. There are also no breaks for residential employees at all...no15 minutes or lunch breaks at all. Very difficult to get time off for anything. Work for CLM if you have no life and are ok making less money for hard work.
Pros
The individuals we serve
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, no benefits, low pay
Love working for community living. It’s a very relaxing job and it has its moments of challenges but it keeps the job interesting. You can easily grow your career here.
I wish I can go back on Thursday and Friday for Receptionist I love doing reception and it's very hard to go back to normal coronavirus paramedic outbreak it was really hard staying home all-day
Cons
working 2 days instead of working 1
totally depends on site you work at. When I applied I noticed they requested a bachelors degree in social sciences or college post secondary in healthcare. When I started I was working in what is similar to a long term care home. Management is terrible, HR doesn't help and are on the side of the managers even though they should remain impartial. Culture is dependant on site. Hardest part would be dealing with highly behavioural clients alone, even if second support staff is requested. Most enjoyable part is helping clients become more independent and improve in their day to day life.
Pros
hires without experience
Cons
If you dont leave on time, getting paid overtime is difficult
  1. Employee reviews