Community Living Employee Reviews

enjoy supporting individuals in their homes
Developmental Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ON10 August 2019
*Support individuals in their home, cleaning, safety updates
*Support medical, dental, community appointments
*Maintain positive working environment with co-workers
*Encourage problem-solving with teams and individuals
*Assist with vocational and community expectations
Pros
making your own hours as Casual
Cons
hours are up and down
very good experience, but management can be difficult to work with.
Personal / Direct Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 August 2019
this job was very rewarding and had many possible opportunities to grow. Although, it was difficult working with management and finding the right house for staff. The employees are kind and caring.
Fun workplace with friendly people.
Christmas Party Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 August 2019
I got to their workplace and then I help the director set up for fun projects to do later with the campers. It's a lot of fun for me because I can also express myself artistically but still help others when they need it. It isn't very hard and is an easy way for me to receive volunteer hours and still have fun.
Pros
Cheap lunches
Cons
Sometimes boring or slow
It's a fun environment
Field Placement (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON31 July 2019
The staff are friendly and the work is flexible because it depends on your clients (on who are you handling with). The supervisor will train you and will guide you in everything you need.
Great experience, poor management
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 July 2019
Requires providing care to intellectually disabled individuals and providing independence whenever possible. Planning fun activities as well. The hardest part is getting a day off when requesting it, sometimes you're forced to call in sick and you get penalized for it. It feels like the office managers do not care too much at times and are concerned about other smaller issues.
Great work environment
Developmental Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Fergus, ON24 July 2019
I loved working with Community Living. The fellow staff were amazing and it was very uplifting to see individuals with disabilities have the opportunity to get out in the community.
Management is terrible
Direct Support Worker - Contract (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON23 July 2019
Terrible gossip and if you are new the older staff treat you horrible. Management treat you terrible.
No training, if other staff don’t show up you are working more than 18 hours sometimes straight.
Human Resources don’t help you out when there are issues.
Pros
Wadges
Cons
Everything else
Horrible place to work
support worker (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON18 July 2019
Community living will use you to work day and night, use you and throw you away. Stay away from this company. The head office has no idea what’s going on and if you say anything to them they will find a way to let you go. My heart breaks for the clients that live in these homes
fun
Residential Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 June 2019
great place to work at. management are friendly and union is strong. Decent benefits once you can get a full time position. Very accommodating and inclusive company
Amazing staff
Direct Support Worker (DSW) (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 June 2019
All staff were willing to bring me an impeccable work experience with their willingness to teach their skills. I learned many skills which helped me throughout my time with the company.
Loving my new job
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON22 June 2019
Management is definitely a huge factor on what makes a job good or bad. I have some wonderful team leaders who I work with very closely and they all do their best to help you out in any way they can. I adore the people I work with and this job has made me so much happier than my last. My pay is not currently the best but that is only because I'm a casual. it's better than minimum, and the company would pay all workers the same but my current government wont allow it which is sad but not community livings fault. I love all the people I work with and this has definitely been a great experience so far!
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No guaranteed hours as casual
A great company to work for
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 June 2019
My entire experience at Community Living St. Catherines has been a positive one. They provide a great work environment for their employees and train their staff well.
Fun envrionment
Continuous Outcomes Facilitator (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Caledon, ON17 June 2019
I never felt like I was working, I enjoyed being around the people that I worked with as well as the people that I supported. The part that I enjoyed the most about my work was building a rapport with the clients.
Dynamic Organization with a diverse culture that fostered inclusivity, learning and development.
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON10 June 2019
A typical day at work was always rewarding. Client and worker interaction were great. Seeing recipients empowered and given the autonomy to make decisions was rewarding. The environment was positive, accommodating and full of learning.
Pros
Great client interactions
Cons
Long distant driving
Not as good as it used to be
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Oakville10 June 2019
It has become a horrible place to work. They waste money and management is growing larger and while staff are underpaid and overworked. Community living Oakville is not a good place to work.
Pros
Cons
Wages, management, bad union
Day to Day
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 June 2019
Extremely fast paced environment given the nature is dealing with behaviours of intellectual disabilities, various management and co-worker approaches to given situations. There is rarely time to sit. I am consistently monitoring and assisting more than 5 adults at all times.
Pros
Day goes by fast
Cons
Very draining psychologically, physically and emotionally
You're just a worker
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Morrisburg, ON4 June 2019
You're replaceable. That's the message that's conveyed.
The job itself can be challenging and fun at times.
They put you in unsafe conditions at times where you might be placed with 4 clients and only one staff person.
What would be considered behaviours at another agency, isn't deemed so here and that's not doing anyone a service by misrepresenting the clientele that we work with.
Management is not overly accessible unless something dire happens.
Pros
You can work in your own community
Cons
No praise or help
Rewarding Experience!
Volunteer Supervising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 June 2019
I genuinely enjoyed the week I spent working with Community Living Mississauga. I volunteered in the Summer Teen Activity Program, and it was simply the most rewarding experience in my life. The average day would start at 8 a.m; you'd meet up with your group consisting of 2 supervisors, a volunteer, and 4 participants. You'd then proceed with the plans for the day, which could either be hiking, swimming, Playdium; there's a gear variety of activities. The only issue is the simply painful amount of walking you'd do in a day. I commend all of the workers who spend their whole summer doing this. Regardless, after 8 hours of work, we'd finally head back to the community centre. This position really helped me grow as a person. I worked with so many different kinds of people, all who were simply amazing. I learned how to deal with all kinds of situations in addition to how I can be a useful member of the team. And at the end of the day, I'd always go home proud of what it is that I did that day. The management will repeatedly tell you how rewarding this job is; trust them.
Pros
Bus pass was paid for, group activities were paid for
Cons
Long hours, physically exhausting
Not responsive or responsible to new applicants
Program co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 May 2019
Went to interview at Community living York South. They said they will either call or email for the result on that week but 3 weeks later without notice. (They said they will email if you are not in). I thought I miss their email and then I emailed the one who interviewed me as that person contact me. And she didn't not reply. I call HR department 3 Times in different days and the receptionist said they were away. I left a message but no one called me back. I sent an formal text to the employer who gave phone # to me and no reply. The result didn't come out after 3 weeks. End up receiving an official letter of not getting in.
Cons
Interviewees never hear back from the employer
Great company to work for
Team Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 May 2019
enjoyed working for a company that supports people with disabilities. it was a lovely office environment and received great support from the managers as well as the other team members.