Commisso's Fresh Foods logo
Commisso's Fresh Foods

Commisso's Fresh Foods Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

No team work encouraged negative work environment

Expectations were exceptionally high and sometimes not realistic A lot of super employees who worked hard but not recognized My environment was not encouraged and was often tensed Good points: I enjoyed the talks offered in the bistro and regular customers

Best Place To Work

My favourite job ever, my co workers felt like family, I loved going into work. Great first job or even if you are retired. Management was great. schedule flexibility.

A Great Place to work

I would recommend working for Commisso’s as it’s a great place to work ! This is why .... Very Clean and take Health & Safely Seriously -.Fast Paced - Friendly Staff and Managers, if you need help they HELP - (Owners) The Commisso Family are nice as well ! They do smile or say hi etc. but you have to remember one thing this is Their Business If you want to advance share your goals and work for it ! Be Positive to Get Positive !!

Good place to work if you're between jobs

If you're reading this you're probably hoping to work for commisso's. This is my advice More or less everyone of your coworkers will be friendly and help you if you're new and settling into the job, however avoid getting into the political part of the job, absolutely everyone talks to everyone and if they take a disliking to you, you'll be gone shortly after. The management is very ignorant to hard work and your skills, I learned a few new skills while working at commisso's none of which were acknowledged by management. I had received a write up for being late the day after the manager in question joked about being under the influence of narcotics and being half an hour late. If you believe working in an environment where management views you as entirely replaceable is worth the dental benefits that come with it then it's the job for you, if not then take the guaranteed minimum wage at absolutely any other employer you may get.

Benefits

Cons

You wont be respected as a basic human being

Disgusting all around place to work.

Staff are nice to work with, but it honestly doesn't matter when literally everything else about this place is terrible. Unfair treatment. Owners play favorites. Higher ups do not acknowledge hard work. In fact their store manager got promoted by standing around and talking and being on his phone constantly. Watched the buggy boy - the same person who handles the carts everyone touches- clean human feces MULTIPLE TIMES with NO proper PPE, was told this is normal. Disgusting.

Terrible

Absolutely terrible I was front desk there and it sucked. No hours ,No good pay, No nice people, was very repetitive DO NOT WORK HERE

Pros

Decent breaks

Cons

Everything else

A fun place to work

I enjoyed working as a cashier at Commisso’s. It taught me to be patient when customers get stressed, and always remain friendly. I especially like bagging groceries and giving customers a fun and happy experience.

Pros

Making new friends

Cons

Short hours

Lovely Work Environment

Commisso's is a wonderful place to work. I loved being a part of the staff. The customers were so nice to talk to and the employees were very welcoming and friendly. Generally, a day would consist of cashing customers out and processing returns and refunds. I started as a cashier and wanted to move up so i became a supervisor. The workplace can become very hectic when the store is full of customers but it is nothing that the team cannot handle. The hardest part of the job was selling out of items and having angry customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to talk to customers and build a relationship with both the company and the community.

Pros

nice people

Good place to work but not to advance

Clean working environment but large turnover on staff. Over the years this has improved but there is no advancement within. Small discounts on hot food and wellness products for staff.

Pros

Clean working environment

Cons

Little to no advancement opportunities

Jobs at Commisso's Fresh Foods

See more jobs

High Tensions

Owners of store are very involved with everything in the store, both a good and bad thing. Challenging at times to ensure all four owners are pleased when receiving different directions from all of them. I love the forward thinking of the store and the vision made me excited to a part of the team. However, with the owners being so involved it was hard to stay on track of jobs, constantly being pulled away to discuss issues and then receiving flack for not completing those task that you were pulled away from.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Job insecurity

Horrible Company

Worst company I have ever worked for in my life. There is a reason why they have the highest turnover out of any retailer. Nepotism galore, sexism, racism, lying.. The whole nine yards.. The pay is horrible, I was told I would get increases as time went on, I went YEARS without a wage increase. Not only do the self-entitled customers treat you like a servant/second-class citizen the owners do as well. Employees were forced to work cook meals at the owners personal homes, clean their cars etc.

Pros

Friendly Co-workers

Cons

Upper Management

Great place to work as a student

Great place to work as a student as they offer flexible hours. Management was very good. Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the staff, great and friendly environment

Pros

Good Environment

Cons

Worst employers in the city

Treat employees with no respect. Typical Niagara falls whop owners. Don't waste your time applying here. Terrible pay. They only care about their rich customers that come in and line their pockets with money. So many things wrong with this place but they will never see it's them and not the employee as to why they have such a big turn over rare. They only tell you what you want to hear so you will take the job but they don't keep their word on anything.

Pros

Good employees

Cons

Terrible work place

Productive and Great Employees

I enjoyed going to work and serving the regular customers. I became good friends with my co-workers. A typical day was setting up the the machines, putting out food and serving gelato. We followed a schedule everyday to prepare us for closing. I learned how to work as a team during busy hours and how to properly make a latte and/or a cappuccino. The management was poor and my co-workers and myself would have to step in and make sure the schedule was on time and supplies were stocked.

The owners should respect their hard working employees

You would think that the owners would get off of their high horses and appreciate the employees who serve their customers really well, and generate the business for them. If it wasn't for the great employees serving the customers well, the owners wouldn't have a business. The customers wouldn't come to the store. Customers like good service and a good atmosphere.

Pros

Good coworkers

Cons

The owners are jerks

misleading

hired and trained as a cook but then changed to dish without any training. they refused to provide training on the equipment and refused to adhere to safety guidelines. poor management, everyone is irritable.

Cons

poor management, carelessness

Horrible place to work

Commisso's Fresh Foods is like a revolving door. It used to be great but the owners talk to employees like they are dirt. When they first opened they treated everyone well and actually had an HR department so people were treated fairly. They now have no HR representation so owners do as they please. They pick their favorites and treat everyone else poorly. There are no performance increases in wage for anyone. The Managers are excellent but they can only do so much. I would not recommend this employer to anyone.

Pros

You have a job

Cons

Everything about working there

Aweful place to work if you like a company that follows its own policies

A typical day at work is a fast paced environment with great customers. I learned a lot of good job skills courtesy of the manager of my department. (who is not currently there anymore) She was a very well rounded manager that would do anything for you to help better you in your position. My co workers were great people that I loved to be around everyday. The hardest part of the job I had was with the owners of the store. They would constantly change their minds on operations procedure then tell one staff member (who was not a manager) and then yell when the procedure was not carried out. After they "restructured" the management they appointed some one who had no idea how to manage a staff and no clue as to how to use an espresso machine. With 4 owners everyone wanted things done their way and there was no winning. At one point one of the owners actually stepped in front of a customer to yell at me. Another owner told a coworker that he was their monkey and he would do what he wanted him to do ( within this sentence there was a lot of swearing so I had to clean it up).There is no concept of write ups or warnings, if you don't fit in with them and their family they will fire you no matter how good at your job that you are. All in all the management was great and so is the staff, the owners on the other hand have no concept how to talk to workers and show them respect.

Pros

great co workers

Cons

complete disregard for there own emplyee hand book and policies set out by the owners. no raises, no respect for employee's

Review

Overall good philosophy and ECO friendly workplace. Family oriented business. Cater to Italian-Canadian decent. Wages are inconsistent and varied amongst employees of the same job classification.

Pros

opportunity to learn and sample new food products.

Cons

very hard work, demanding customers.