Commissionaires Employee Reviews for Security Officer

boring
Uniformed Security (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 November 2019
Very, very, very, boring. Good place to write your life story and sell it to Hollywood, if they made movies about very, very, very ,boring people and their very, very, very, boring lives that are only alleviated by backstabbing new-comers and lying about their co-workers to gain influence with the higher-ups (as seen in their minds).
Perfectly dreadful environment, ready for Unionization or a disgruntled employee getting Hollywood-style revenge.
DO NOT SEEK EMPLOYMENT HERE.
HERE LAY MONSTERS!!!
Pros
Simplest job ever
Cons
Backstabbing/lying ladder clibmers selling each other out
great workplace with great staff
Security and Administration (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL30 October 2019
assist Parole officers
Security tasks
Fast paced environment
Great management team
Gaining good experience to further my employment goals
Most enjoyable part of the job to being able to assist the staff and gain valuable knowledge.
I have the honour to work with the Commissionaires BC
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 October 2019
I liked working with Commissionaires. They respect their workers and give them full liberty and responsibility to prove their worth. Team work and co-operation from colleagues is the best part of your job.
Commisionaires are the brass ring of Security for professionalism
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  RCMP EDIV HQ19 October 2019
This is one of the better security companies to work for as they get very high profile contracts. But the contract Security industry is by definition low paid. The companies bill the guards out at "X" amount but pay them "Y" amount which is rarely any thing more then a few dollars an hour over minimum wage. Commissionaires is a quality company with some decent perks. But this work is really only practical for a younger person new to the Security industry or a retired individual who is just looking to stay busy. Because without lots of OT the wage paid is no where near what one would consider a living wage for the Lower-mainland.
Very nice people; director was great along with office staff.
Security Agent (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC21 September 2019
Most of the time very well organized; staff were great (qualified) and friendly. I would have stayed if I could have remained in BC but pay rate was low which made it difficult. I miss the work though, varied and enjoyable.
No communication of schedule changes
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2019
They don't communicate changes of the schedule, they have an unrealistic expectation that you’ll travel in on your days off to check the schedule and then they write you up for missing a shift you knew nothing about. Almost 4 years with the corp and that's my only issue.
Great Place to work
IDENTIFICATION/SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2019
They try their best to be the best of the Security Companies around. They treat their workers well and try to pay the best rates and benefits. They are focused on low risk Security Contracts so the jobs are not too stressful. Very good attitude from top management. They act fast in your interest, they are very professional and care about their staff. They have amazing events yearly for staff and thierfamilies.
Excellent Place to Work, Reasonable Salary, Variety of Job Opportunities
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2019
Excellent Place to Work, Reasonable Salary, Variety of Job Opportunities at varied locations in the roles of concierge, security officers, monitoring officers etc.
Great place to work, very encouraging people, great environment.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK8 August 2019
I loved being a comissionaire, It was a great place to work. I met a lot of people working security at the hospital. I liked working with the other security officers at the hospital.
Pros
close to home.
Cons
12 hour shifts.
Just don't
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2019
Nothing good comes from working at this place.
Complete joke.
Pros
None whatsoever.
Cons
Long hours, No real training, people yelling at you all the time, Promise one wage & then give a you a much lower wage.
17-year member review of The Northern Alberta Commissionaires
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 June 2019
Okay, you want the REAL scoop of what it's like working for the Commissionaires? I've been employed with them full-time since 2003...here is my review...

Fact: The Commissionaires pay more on average than any other security company in Edmonton. When they bid on contracts against other companies the Corps will always over-bid and never under-bid to get a contract, which means more $$$ in the pocket of the security officer. The CEO is top-notch and has always had an "open-door" policy...if you're grieved about something and you just need to vent or ask questions, the CEO will always welcome you into his office and listen to your concerns. The members working in Dispatch are mostly well-mannered and understanding of your needs and will do everything they can to ensure you have a site to work at. Sadly the company does not offer a pension plan nor sick days and their benefit package from Manulife is only average. Yes, you will have to pay for your initial uniform (about $150) upon hiring but they will deduct that amount from your pay-cheque so you won't need to pay it up front when you start and any time you need to exchange clothing or apparel it is done free of charge. First-Aid training is provided and takes only one day. The industrial sites (which they have plenty of contracts with) usually pay more than regular sites but the regular sites pay more on average than any other security company. The contract managers are mostly very co-operative and helpful but there is one contract manager still on their payroll who is a total jerk so it's best to try and avoid him
  more... (his initials are R.M and I've heard he is retiring soon). Payroll department makes very few mistakes and when they do discover one they will correct it right away but in my 17 years of employment with them I have never once had to speak to Payroll about a mistake they made on my cheque or with my working hours. Oh, and did I mention that once a year (usually in June) the company pays their employees a "Loyalty Bonus"...this is a separate cheque and the amount payed out is based on your previous working hours for the last year...for example, if you worked 1000 hours in 2018 the company would pay you between 50 -70 cents for every hour that you have worked and then write you out a cheque for it. No other security company does that for their employees. All in all, a highly recommendable company for those just starting out in the security field as well as those who are ex-military and RCMP and wish to only work a few hours a week or month. The Commissionaires of Northern Alberta has been very good to me. And they will be good to you too. :-)  less
Pros
Great people, great co-workers, open access to the CEO, above-average salary
Cons
One contract manager is a total jerk but the others are great
Terrible company to work for
Mobile Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON19 May 2019
Management absolutely have no business being in the positions they have. Hours can be brutal. Why you would have people work twelve hour shifts from noon to midnight. Or midnight to noon is beyond me. Some moron who never worked night shifts must of thought of this shift. To all business who hire ensure the commissionaires do not have this shift. No guard is at full alert on this shift I guarantee it. Try it. Work two midnight shifts from midnight to noon. Section supervisors for the most have no concern for your well being to busy playing on the computer. Don’t report any problems they might have to do some work. Advancement only if you are bilingual Or in the old boys club. Maybe. Enough said just a terrible place to work. And then you have tie checkers
Pros
Cons
Supervisors on up. Useless
Regular Work Schedule
SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2019
With a regular work schedule It is easy to budget finances while still being able to plan future vacations even years in advance because I know what my hours will be.
Pros
Regular Schedule
Cons
Contracted company isn't always the greatest.
Overall, it was a good experience working with the commissionaires.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 March 2019
It was a very good experience working with the commissionaires.Driving on the airfield was exciting, heart pumping, to bring the construction workers on the airport proper. This is because I had ad to be extremely careful to know when the planes are taking off and arriving.

In other instances, my shifts would be in the main building of the airport where passengers await there planes.My job at that time, was to ensure that passengers do not mix with construction workers, for safety purposes.
cash grab
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2019
this company is only interested in selling you there sercurity training course and there expensive uniform and then let you go for no reason what so ever a week before you about to finish the lengthy probationary period. i worked for this company as a "fill-in" for nearly a year and thats how long it took to nearly complete my 6-month on job probationary period and a week before being considered a real employee i was let go for no apparent reason and when i followed up with the supervisor " who i thought had a good raport with" i recieved no answer and zero acknowledgement from the company ... a few weeks later i got a bill for 350$ for uniform fees and a letter of termination stating " i was fired because i stopped showing up for work"???? okay seems funny to me but ok.
Pros
Cons
everything
It's a job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB8 December 2018
I've always gone back to the Commissionaires when I need work. They're always available for that. However, they aren't dependable for hours and they don't always respect that we aren't paid to be on call.
Security Agent (Current Employee) –  Westmount, QC26 September 2018
very committed to retired Military and RCMP members;
Flexible hours;
average pay scales;
Good reputation among the security field;
nice contracts in the greater Montreal area
Pros
respect
Cons
salary
it was a good job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 August 2018
i was able to make a living, while still having a life of my own. this is a good job for people who want to work over nights and on weekends. you will need a few licences to do this job.
Pros
good work hours
Cons
a lot of late nights
security officer
Security (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 August 2018
good training program for people wanting to get into security. Many different sites to choose from. people are very easy to get along with. good pay scale
Great Company
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Saskatchewan4 June 2018
There is a lot of walking or sitting for long periods of time.There are various positions available. The people are good with and management is very helpful when you need something

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commissionaires. Our community is ready to answer.