Commissionaires
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

Commissionaires Employee Reviews

Veterans take priority, but only if you had a senior rank

I was priority hired by this company as I held prior security experience, and am a vet of 14 years (it was a "asset"). But so far my experience with this company has been absolute trash. Close to a year in, I've seen complete and udder garbage management from the division staff (sweep it under the rug) and favoritism to those with a senior rank upon (military/police/rcmp). There are a few good supervisors out there, but few and far apart, and have no support from higher.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Guaranteed work hours, guaranteed stress.

Work as much as you can tolerate as they are very short handed. They do not pay a living wage for BC and the union is weak.HR people are not on site and are not available for immediate discussions, and managers on sites are not trained or certified in taking HR type complaints/concerns. Washrooms are not immediately close to your station all the time. Various locations can be a benefit. No team environment, or team building exercises; no free meals ever during work. DND sites do not allow you to go off site for meals. Unqualified people are allowed to work steady with no reprimands due to shortages. Discipline is unheard of except for the overachievers; they get shut down.

Pros

As much work as you can tolerate.

Cons

Worst managed company with the most honorable of history for Vets.

Watch your back

The management will treat you like dirt. It can be good money. But dont expect anything from them. Ive had things stolen by other co-workers, and when reported, i was the one who got written up. I was moved from a post i liked because someone else was showing up late everyday and i spoke my mind about it. All in all it can be an ok place to work, as long as you watch your back because they will stab you in it if you dont.

Administration (local in Nanaimo) very autocratic.

The job was good. Worked at the airport doing a variety of duties involving loading/unloading of passengers as well as patrols. The issue for me was the working of the overnight shift which affected my lifestyle and quality of life. Had to leave as company would not find me a non-overnight job.

Pros

Benefits were good

Cons

Administration and grave yard shifts

Good Benefits package, low barrier to entry.

I left the army 2 years ago. I needed a job and they priority hired me, working there since. I had my licence already but the company will give you the course for free. I like the dental/drug and medical plan which I know is better than any other security company in Alberta. Yearly bonus is not bad and there is vacation pay. Job is doable for someone with knee issues/surgery and other army achs and pains, like me. I walk around on patrol and sit when not on patrol, I work inside and most of my co-workers are nice. It’s not too demanding. Some positions pay better and there is room for advancement, you just need to talk to the contract manager. Overall the easy access and low barrier to entry is great.

Pros

After 12 months working there is a yearly bonus tied to the company profits.

Cons

Pay isn't the best but is okay for security

you learn good info.

they have professional working environment. they have good reputation in government departments. you get to know about the different government sectors.

Great Company

Great company with great benefits once hired full time. Great staff at Headquarters Ottawa. Shift Supervisors at Section 6 are amazing. Commissionaires offers great incentives and benefits over the course of employment.

Pros

Benefits are awesome

Professional and friendly

Great culture. Professional environment with clear communication. Payment process always top-notch. Uniform and kit were always good quality and in good repair.

It is what it is - another security company

Depending on the contract you are placed on - it can be an easy gig.Fine if you need a job, in terms of comparing to other security companies - it’s about the same treatment, low pay and little to no benefits.There is blatant favouritism, and no need to be loyal, all the new hires usually will take all the day shift positions, while night shift people will be stuck doing nightshift for 2,3 or even 5 years.

Pros

easy work

Cons

low pay and little to no benefits, hard to move out of nightshift

A last resort employer for those with no ambition in life.

One of the worst places I have ever worked. 'Power over mentality' towards employees from management. No team work philosophy, only abusive constant criticism with no support from management. Low wages and long hours. . Unless you are desperate avoid like the plague, very demeaning and a dead end for young or old.

Pros

Lunch time and quiting time.

Cons

Management. They have no concept of treating/motivating people properly.y

No hours available

They are descrimitive against women. No hours ever available. Ripping people off of their hours and pay. If u cover for someone apparently that person can take their hours back last minute and ur without pay and hours. This consistently happens. Management is not their for employees and they have a buddy/ buddy system to go against you. Majority of management are men and only protect each other even when they are wrong.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Long hours, treat employees like garbage

Good for veterans and ex cops

Now in the 5th year. Head supervisors or managers, are retired police or veterans. Middle Management are mostly paper pushers without life experiences.

Pros

Free uniforms

Cons

Non flexible shifts

The best company I have worked for

This company takes care of it's employees like family. I love coming to work I always hear that I am appreciated and I am doing a great job. That means a lot to employees. If you get a chance, apply. You will not regret it at all.

Pros

Cons

nothing

Productive, fun work environment with interesting job sites

I thoroughly enjoy working at commissionaires Hamilton division this company has a competitive salary and a fairly easy team to work with, most of the sites that i have been assigned to me have been enjoyable work with added benefits. The administrative team is fairly accommodating to suit your schedule if it is indicated before hand. This is stand out amazing security company to work for in my opinion.

Pros

Paid breaks

Very disorganized security company

An unorganized and disregard for their guards security company. Commissionaires said they've been in the business since the first world war but their office employees definitely don't act like it. If you have any questions or looking to see if you get paid correctly, good luck trying to get a hold of someone helpful. All employees either don't reply, ignore, and/or forward your inquires to others that also don't do anything. They need new staff that will take their security guards seriously. I never leave reviews for places I've worked and I've worked for a lot but this one takes the cake unfortunately. Don't even get me started with the pay rates. Supervisor roles and downtown Toronto are paying $14-$16. They play favourites with certain employees and pay them travel pay + $20+/hr to work at some sites as well, even if that site pays $14.

Good company

It's was a good company to work for. Professional services , training provided by the company. Management was great and understanding. It is a good company that I will recommend for all to work for.

Worst Company I've Worked For

This company is disorganized, management is useless, work hours are too long, breaks are short compared to the hours you work. If you care about your health, stay away from this company.

Good Salary, Flexible hours, Supportive Management

They pay really good according to their site. The main thing that everyone wants is they listen to their guards and gives flexible hours and make sure everyone is happy.

Pros

Really good payrate

Cons

No cons

Nice job for retired people or students but no future as of right now as a career

Typical day of work is about doing patrols, watch security camera, control access to the building, etc. Tasks can differ from positions.I learned mostly what I needed during my formations. Management lacks of communication and proper organization.The workplace culture is often whiny. Old people mostly tired of having a slow-pace job for a low salary.The hardest part of the job if there is, just to be alert and responsible. You gotta be polite at all time because the client pays for you to be there and he can ask for you to be removed if you aren't professional. It's relatively an easy job. Well paid for what you do but really not enough for the high cost of life especially in my area.The most enjoyable part of the job is that when you are working weekends and night shift, you are free to do your personal hobbies on the job as long as you don't disturb your surroundings and that your duties are fulfilled.

Pros

Free time, Relax, Slow-pace, Above minimum wage, Flexible schedule

Cons

Restricted hours, Rotating shifts for permanent positions, Super low retirement fund, Very bad advantages that your are forced to pay for even if you got others, Considered as an object more than a human most of the time

Too many managers

Everyone is very grumpy no one has fun they try ti hard ti be a army unit even though their not in any way don’t support veterans like they say they do.

Pros

Work

Cons

Attitude

treated like a temp

Commissionaires is not a fair or equitable company to work for unless you are part of the managements preferred type of person. Being a contract worker limits the control you have over your own life.

Pros

No Pros

Cons

hours can change without warning

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commissionaires. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement