Commissionaires

Commissionaires Employee Reviews

Canada543 reviews
I have been working for the Corps for over 6 years now. For the most part I have enjoyed almost everyday. I like getting gup to go to work. There is a defined purpose with the Corps, they is a requirement in today's society for Security. The Corps does this in a safe efficient and common sense manner.

There is no company that is perfect. A bad company does not fix its mistakes and is destined to fail. The Corps is always striving to correct it shortcomings to ensure it supports all employees as best as possible. That is why CNS has been in business since 1927.

We are a Not - for - Profit company with a full Medical, Dental, and Life Insurance benefit plans. (Introduced in 2019)

We pay above average wages for the Security Industry, with benefits and no cost training, uniforms and PPE.
Pros
Variety of work, support, benefits
Cons
Wages could always be higher. At least they are fair
Management is biased in their decision making. Position progression is based on your level of intersectionality and how much of a yes-man you are and not on competency and level of skill. To save money on contracts, employees are shuffled around on sites and you're wage is based on amount of time accrued on site so they take a pay decrease to minimum wage.
Pros
Cons
No room for real advancement for competent people
This place is a very nice place to work if someone is serious. The company is well organized for all requirements. First time when I started working with them I was surprised.
Pros
Good place to serve the community. The all management is organized.
Cons
No complain
Bare in mind I'm reflecting on a company I worked at 20 years ago. Very little training was ever offered at any site I ever worked at, there was a culture that security guards have to look like authority figures yet not be allowed a leg to stand on if ever a customer had a problem. I had to work 3 jobs to keep up on Bill's because their wages were terrible. I actually got fired from one of the sites I worked at because the customer complained they didn't like that I looked tired. The company never fire horrible employees but move employees around from site to site constantly. The corporate and public don't respect security, and that's also because security are not allowed many rights rather than sitting at a desk and looking scared that this may be the day a corporate person doesn't like the look of the employee and wants them gone without having any reason ar all. Sad attitude this company has, I was thrilled to leave when the opportunity came.
Pros
Got a small Turkey from the company one Christmas
Cons
You have zero rights and no one respects your authority
They hire mostly retired cops so the expectations are more professional. Pay is fair and training is quick but supportive. You get great benefits. Before corona I went to a number of security interviews which i never got to fulfill because everything shut down and I lived with someone immune compromised so i never got to explore them. But first impression commissionaires really feels like a place I’m going to stick with. I just love they way they run the company. I even like the uniform. Have only met great people to work with. X military and retired police with interesting stories to tell.
Pros
They provide you with phone and work email
Cons
Was a good job when I started. Everything changed after New management stepped in. I've witnessed some horrible things with regard to the way people are treated.
I currently work 12 hour shifts with 2 days on two days off but I'm one of the lucky ones. You could end up with a seven day straight schedule with rotation shift times between evenings and nights so good luck having a body clock.

Management is an absolute joke. No complaints are ever taken seriously and you can be sexist and racist and still work there without any reprimand. They do not foster a healthy work environment at all. Every year I get asked to postpone my vacation that's already been approved because they don't know how to manage schedules.

They also try to instill the belief that work regulations are more important than anything including health and welfare. There were no Covid 19 protocols in place while I still had to be within 6 feet of over 30 people during the height of the pandemic and I was not allowed to refuse work. It wasn't until that I went to the client (the person who hired commissionaires) that any precautions were put into place. This was especially scary since I work directly with someone over the age of 70.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Long Hours, Poor Management, No Organization
They do not respect diversity and are a old white boys network. They do not value people of color, Commissionaires Nova Scotia is a terrible place to work
Some good people. A lot of racism, sexism and backbiting. Creepy men who sexually harass other men are a problem. Reader, stay away from this company.
Pros
Varied work.
Cons
Creepy co-workers.
For the lack of actual security work you do, you make up for time in the field for a better company. Low pay, no protection equipment, most details have outdated security equipment and post orders. Management won’t address serious issues.
Pros
Job experience and time
Cons
Low pay, No benefits, No protection, Why am I here?
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Commissionaires?
Its a great place to work as a Student they worked around my schedule and offered me a fulltime position when I finished school. The pay was competitive and I had a lot of job opportunities and training with them.
A good company to work for if you don't mind 12 hour shifts. actual management on site varies from site to site. many veterans and former law enforcement
Pros
good culture
Cons
long hours, nightshifts, inconsistent management
Very untrustworthy Company to work for. Pay is not corrected, complaints are not followed up. Site Supervisor not accountable for issues. No recourse for unsubstantiated discipline. No employee engagement. Preferential treatment for veterans or retired Police or Police wannabes. Pay is below average for industry.
Best advice is to go to another Co. Many better ones out there.
Usually I have 12-hour shifts monitoring CCTV cameras with periodical foot patrolling.
Operating two-way radio is necessary on most sites.

Managers and supervisors always provide employees safe working conditions and comprehensive support.

Each workplace requires a high culture of behavior and communication with both co-workers and visitors.

Sometimes you have to work in severe weather conditions (extremely cold or hot).

Working on computers and other gadgets, chatting with new people I enjoy most of all.
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
Not enough overtimes
There is very little training provided when you start with Commissionaires Ottawa. You may be switched from location to location - each with a different client, a different set of rules, with different priorities. You are told to "read the post orders" - which refer to areas and actions that you have never seen. Not being given the training to the job properly can be very frustrating.
Spialy for dissable like me in ottawa airport good company and it is so nice comp6 I like it again I start commissioner I love the staff and humane workers o so nice
Everything about this company is a joke. A bunch of smoke and mirrors. They claim to have industry leading wages which is a lie. You'll make $16 an hour and you'll be stuck there. Every year you'll receive a 30 cent raise. Just a slap in the face. Other companies such as GardaWorld and G4S pay more and have incentives for former commissionaires.

It almost makes having a security guard license useless because they pay you so little anyway. Better off working at a grocery store because the clerks are making more than commissionaires at this time.

In regards to the new PANDEMIC PAY for essential workers/frontline workers, forget about it. They always find a way around everything in order to put more money in their own pockets. All we ever get is a meaningless "thank you for your service" but really no appreciation.

Competitions are won by whoever they like and are most often internal with a candidate already in mind.

The CEO claims that 95% of the revenues generated are returned to its employees. Blatant lie, but then again probably returned to the higher ups such as the CEO himself and others.

Not-for-profit organization? That's another lie. You should see what they charge their clients in relation to what they pay their guards.

They'll hire ANYONE, so if you really want to join this "not-for-profit" private security company then you shouldn't worry about the interview, it's a walk in the park. I almost feel embarrassed to say I'm a Commissionaire with the type of co-workers you see around. It's really a shame.

Whenever you call HR to see if they can
 - more...
I was happy to be employed there. The management was pleasant and easygoing. You were not forced to take any placement. There were some things that I didn't like but either found a way to work through them or you had other choices. I loved the people I worked with.
Manque de leadership.
Manque de communication.

Mauvaise gestion des employées.

Aucun travail d'équipe.

Presque pas de chance d'avancement dans la compagnie.
Dispatch only has one mission.
Get a worker out there. They dont supply you with any wage information.. This is not their fault,its a management issue. They have lost the grass root Commissionaire reasons for being.

They hire more young non white workers then any other. This way they will not question their objectives
Bad employer. No sense of loyalty. No place for advancement even if you are qualified, unless you are a "teacher's pet". And they think they are r8nn8ng an bunch of soldiers...still!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commissionaires. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9