Commissionaires Employee Reviews

Working poor keep pay for themselves
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 March 2019
2 hours off a cheque for uniform, 2 and a half hours off a cheque for unpaid lunches, 1 and a quarter hours off a cheque for 15 minutes early equals 34 hours a week actual pay for a 41hours on the job and., oh by the way minimum wage and no benefits, How does that sound? Contract paid job 26$ an hour got 14 they keep the rest.
Pros
Cons
take your pick
Overall, it was a good experience working with the commissionaires.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 March 2019
It was a very good experience working with the commissionaires.Driving on the airfield was exciting, heart pumping, to bring the construction workers on the airport proper. This is because I had ad to be extremely careful to know when the planes are taking off and arriving.

In other instances, my shifts would be in the main building of the airport where passengers await there planes.My job at that time, was to ensure that passengers do not mix with construction workers, for safety purposes.
Terrible management, no benefits, toxic environment
Guard (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 February 2019
The worst security company I have ever worked for.

The company has this inner circle of influence and you're not know to them good luck for job promotion or advancement.

I've never experienced more nepotism or favouritism in my life. No one has any real world security experience, they believe military training equals job experience.

I had to pay for my uniform, pay for my first aid course. Withheld certifications you earned through the company of fear of you leaving for another company.

They expect the world for minimum wage

Absolutely embarrassing, stay away, stay far away.
Pros
Cons
Nepotism, favouritism, toxic environment
Good Company to work for. will work with your availability
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON21 February 2019
Secure premises and personnel by patrolling property; monitoring surveillance equipment; inspecting buildings, equipment, and access points; permitting entry. obtaining help by sounding alarms. Prevent losses and damage by reporting irregularities; inform violators of policy and procedures.
Cons
can be called last minute for a shift.
RCMP Corrections
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Chateh, AB4 February 2019
Amazing job, good people, except for a few detainees. Late shift was long but peaceful for the most part. Early shift was about the same but didn't seem as long.
Pros
striaght foreward work
Cons
the cons
cash grab
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2019
this company is only interested in selling you there sercurity training course and there expensive uniform and then let you go for no reason what so ever a week before you about to finish the lengthy probationary period. i worked for this company as a "fill-in" for nearly a year and thats how long it took to nearly complete my 6-month on job probationary period and a week before being considered a real employee i was let go for no apparent reason and when i followed up with the supervisor " who i thought had a good raport with" i recieved no answer and zero acknowledgement from the company ... a few weeks later i got a bill for 350$ for uniform fees and a letter of termination stating " i was fired because i stopped showing up for work"???? okay seems funny to me but ok.
Pros
Cons
everything
Fun Workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2019
The Commissionaires multiple different workplaces were hard to do at times. I worked at multiple different places in the time that I worked for them. It was hard to follow all the things I learnt at different places then have to return to a previous establishment after working at others and remember everything that I was supposed to do in a very short amount of time.
Pros
Free transportaion if unable to get to eastblishment.
Cons
Remembering a previous establishments job.
awsome company
Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2018
loved working here it was a great experience unfortunety had to go back to school but hope to work here again soon. the pay was good, the people I worked with wre also great
Terrible management. Bully type mentality.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB16 December 2018
Very disorganized, management belittles staff and sees no value in anyone. Expectations are high while returned respect is nonexistent. Complaints fall on deaf ears as higher up does not seem to care. Extensive turnover should be a red flag. Dissapointing to say the least.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Too many to list.
It's a job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB8 December 2018
I've always gone back to the Commissionaires when I need work. They're always available for that. However, they aren't dependable for hours and they don't always respect that we aren't paid to be on call.

Want to know more about Commissionaires?

Ask a question
Lots od walking
Bylaw Officer (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB20 November 2018
When i started at Commissionaires i was under the impression that i would be given full-time hours. Im not. Im currently a part-time employee needing full time hours. They are giving me as many shifts that they can.
Pros
Easy Work
Cons
Part-time employment
Interesting people
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON10 November 2018
I had many great experiences there. Lots of interesting assignments. Didn't like night shifts or I would still be there. Great supervisors and helpful brothers and sisters.
Pros
Lots of training available
Cons
Don't like night shifts
Seem to be disorganized and in disarray
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC30 October 2018
I have worked in security on and off for many years. The recruiting process was sketchy. I submitted an application and received no acknowledgement or reply until the summer holiday season when the Commissionares seemed to be desperate for cover off staff.
I thought that I had been clear in stating when I would be available for work. Yet I continued to receive calls to come in for work at all hours of the day and weekend.
Management and supervisors do not seem to care about the welfare of their staff and families.
There were no post orders at one job placement. At another location, an educational institution, the orders were written for a hospital as the term "patients" was used instead of "teachers and students". Shoddy staff work and nobody seems to check it or to care.
This organization is failing-don't plan on any long term employment here.
Cons
Appear to be disorganized.
The great place to work if you want to learn how to be a professional security guard
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK21 October 2018
Had a great time at the commissioners great staff
Other than no protection security guards only have a uniform to protection and a cell phone and if doing security you're not supposed to get involved with bad guys if there's someone breaking into the customers workplace sit there do nothing report in your notebook called cops and your supervisor if there's a bomb run away call the cops report and do nothing
But other than that commissioner security is great pays well have a good benefits
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Absolutely no protection plan to get killed or beat up
Worse then the army
All Rounder (Former Employee) –  Ottawa27 September 2018
I'll keep it nice, short and simple.
I was in the army in 2015, then I got out and started working here.
This is much worse, no communication, (despite hiring multiple veterans?) co-workers have no respect for others, management is horrible (avoid section 16 like the plague, I was doing captains work because he couldn't even create a proper schedule for my post) and when it comes to working hours, stress and being respected as we as guards, are here 24/h it's even worse then the army. At least there you are respected, your co-workers know what you're going through and help you or at least, don't look down on you and no matter how old you are or what gender you are, you are part of a team.
At commissionaires in my two years of working I have never once, felt like part of a team let alone a human being.
Pros
great medical benefits, good for those who would like to continue working when older, decent shift times
Cons
no lunch breaks (eat at your desk), literally everything other then the medical benefits
Casual Workplace with Responsibility and Down-time
Guard (Current Employee) –  Canmore, AB18 September 2018
Lots of fun associating with various other members as you continue with your variety of duties. Can be difficult dealing with detained persons and hours may be varied.
excelllent staffing
Guard (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 September 2018
very supportive company excellent benefits and work environment. can phone anytime with issues and they respond in a positive, helpful manner, recommended
Pros
benefits, wages
it was a good job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 August 2018
i was able to make a living, while still having a life of my own. this is a good job for people who want to work over nights and on weekends. you will need a few licences to do this job.
Pros
good work hours
Cons
a lot of late nights
Best security company to work for
Supervisor and patroller (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC12 August 2018
Commissionaires is one of the highest paying when it comes to security. The job is varied. Typically walk anywhere from 6 to 8 miles a shift, going up and down stairs, and varied shifts. If you want to work, there are hours, and if you want to work only a little you can as well. Management is available if you have questions, need some information, or need support in some way. We all work together as a team, which makes the job pleasurable. The hardest part of the job is getting accustomed to shift work. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the public and co-workers.
Pros
Work with great people
Cons
Shift work
on call 24/7
matron (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC7 August 2018
Had to carry a cellar the time because you never knew when you would be called for a shift. Dealing with an element of society that your not accustomed to.
Pros
working alone
Cons
no regular shift

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commissionaires. Our community is ready to answer.