Commissionaires
Happiness score is 60 out of 100

Working at Commissionaires: Employee Reviews

Canada681 reviews

Good

If you don't mind shift work than the commissionaires is a great company to work for. Overall decent pay compared to other security companies in the area. Guards are friendly and for the most part are well trained. Would recommend the job for young adults looking to get into law enforcement in the future. Hours can be long some days and time off can be difficult to obtain.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Shift work

All good everything was fineGood management Excellent place to learn Good teamworkCompany’s rules are excellent Get enough paid according to the job duties

Insights into Commissionaires

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

underpaid and bad hours

No incentive. Extremely underpaid- 30 % under national average. Hours are horrible. Too much internal bickering among guards and too much favoritism. have to rely on food bank to eat.

Pros

hours and money. McDonalds pays the same!

Cons

can't think of many

I love my work and all the great people I get to work with and for.

I love my work and all the great people i get to meet and work with from retired military, rcmp and wps. also all the younger employees are giving direction and experience to feel confidant to apply for jobs in the forces and policing. This is a great company for young people to obtain the experience clearances and connections for careers in government and policing knowing we will retire one day and be a commissionaire again.

Pros

chairs

Cons

short staffed

Fun and Challenging

Worked with a lot of nice folks at the HQ who want to see you advance within the job. Downside is sometimes you will have to work extra hours because your relief didn't show up.

Work preview

The policies are perfectly worded but are never applied at work. The company lacks leadership. Every site has complaints about a supervisor which means the entire company lacks leadership. Employees are constantly threatened with job termination and it happens at all the sites. The leadership structure looks very legitimate but they do not know how to practically use it. It seems the policies and procedures were copied and pasted to the company website without anyone thoroughly working on them.

Pros

Security training.

Cons

Not family-friendly.

Plenty of shift work

In the office of CCof Commissionaires Southern Alberta there were no longer retired military personal but civilian workers that did not appreciate the military work ethic. They went out of the way to discourage service people from working and only hired non military people to employ at low wages and keep the rest. As this is a non profit company designed for retired military. All were fired but the damage has been done. I would not ever work there again.

Pros

Free uniforms

Cons

hostile attitude

Great Place to work

I enjoyed working for Commissionaires Great Lakes . I recently moved to Alberta and hope to work for them here. They paid well for the service we provide to the public. The people we worked for were helpful and always supportive.

Pros

Great employee support

Cons

With higher gas prices driving a distance wasn't always a feasible choice.

A respected organisation to work for.

Highly recommend it. A great stepping stone with a lot of advancements and opportunities. Most importantly, there is always work and never a shortage of it.

unclean on what is required, wrong explaination on job duties.

Unclear on what is required. Did more than originally told. Management did not provide proper explaination of job or it was driffrent. Going to work unsure what the coustomer wants and what is driffrent in what You are originaly told.

Good job if you are a student

The job depends on where you work or if you are on call. Most of the places are nice, however if you are an active person it might not be for you. Lot of work there require to sit all day. For others, the exact opposite, you have to make rounds and stand during almost all your shift. Got here because of Covid. Getting the job was pretty easy because it was at a time where they were highly in need of new employees. Now if you are on call, it can be hard to have a good schedule.

Big Grain of Salt

Expect to be told to hover over your email. They expect instant responses to shift offers, prepare to be reprimanded for missing one because heaven forbid you be busy on a day off. You'll apply for one work site (ie Military/Government) at a certain pay rate, and you'll be given part time hours at a minimum wage site. Most management has become rather jaded, which creates a massive lack of empathy and compassion. You will not be supported unless you fly the company flag. Lots of disorganization with scheduling, and last minute begs for coverage. The jobs are easy, but the culture breeds stress, so be ready to toughen up

Bad management

Horrible management who don’t care about you, bad hours, not able to advance at all depending on your section. Boring work, job is good for students who want to study and get payed for it, that’s about it.

Incompréhension du Superviseur

Je travaille actuellement dans cette entreprise, mais je trouve que David le superviseur de la Mauricie est inhumain, il veut me forcer pour une démission (départ volontaire) contre ma volonté parce que il est raciste et bête, je pense que les normes de travail vont régler son compte dans un avenir proche, cet individu est très incohérent.

Good place to work as a veteran

It’s a good stepping stone to another career. It is mostly shift work and you are always dependent on the length of the security contract.It gave me the opportunity to learn more about the security trade and there was also the possibility for advancement, especially for veterans.

find something better

no matter what you do it is never enough. no respect is given especially if you are a woman they pile you up with to much work load and cant give a higher pay or a bonus. all they do is pretend to be nice in front of your face and when your back is turned they try to get rid of you. they don't care if you have a family or struggling in paying your bills

Pros

pay

Cons

no proper pay no respect no apperication

I would tell anyone with a security license to apply, hands down !

I work in an LRT station that although smaller than most, can be busier with the amount of traffic we experience. Everyday is different! We meet and befriend regular commuters, as well as people stopping by to rest, warm up or just plan out how their day is going to be.I've learned not to assume anything! That even though we encounter difficult people/situations, there are reasons behind their actions. I am lucky that I have a full and supportive team in our head office. From our amazing supervisors, Operations, my contract manager, OHS, human resources, right to the big boss himself... there are many people who actually take your calls, will make the time to check on you, your site and they add a bit of humor when needed. The support given has to be experienced to believe.I love the diversity this organization is known to encourage and cultivate. Since working with Commissionaires, I have met some great people who I would not have necessarily worked with in my previous career. Just thinking of all the fun, smart, cultured and diverse people I am lucky to work with, kind of makes getting up at 4am worth it (most days).The hardest part of my position... *if you want honesty, - knowing that one day soon, there will be an individual that we will not be able to resuscitate, despite our best, trained efforts.This organization does everything to prepare you for all the 'what if's scenarios'. But, they cannot train you for some of the realities, -that is learnt and experienced.I love success stories, and even though not mostly news worthy, there are individuals we see and interact -

Pros

Snazzy uniform, ongoing training as it comes up, proven organization.

Cons

As with any organization, the usual challenges found navigating a new career or unexpected changes.

Fun place and good hours

Easy flexible hours days off and holidays request are granted all the time extra hour are give if you want more days shift or night shifts are available.

Pros

Paid lunch breaks and dental plan and prescriptions are covered

Cons

Always wanting us to work more hours on our days off

I am enjoying working at site .Interaction with people every day ,it’s kind a different experience. New people every day ,new learning .

I love to work with commissioners . Good benefits, good opportunity in future.” Earning and learning”. I enjoy my work. Professional company.wage is good.

Respectful workplace

A great company to work. Co workers are very helpful. Management is skilled with lots of industry experience. Training opportunity is frequent and one can advance career as they want.

Great co-workers and good pay

Pretty great place to work if you have previous military experience. A lot of your fellow co-workers are ex military, a d even those that aren't have an understanding. Colleagues were super helpful with training and actually cared to ensure you were doing the job right. Definitely a place I'd work again if I could but can't due to medical issues.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commissionaires. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement