Commissionaires Ottawa Employee Reviews

productive workplace
Commissionaire / Shift Supervisor (Sergeant) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 May 2018
Long hours, bad communication within the CORPS, not enough raises for the work we do, great co-workers, not enough kudos, repetitive work, management is OK
Cons
long hours, night shifts
Well established, poorly managed
Private security guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 April 2018
The company has a variety of contracts and is well connected within its communities, however the farther from the Ottawa head quarters you work the less relevant you seem to become. My area manager was forced to run himself ragged covering sick days and vacations because head office refused to let him hire a spare to take the edge off. This meant if you where sick he could be busy and have no one to take over. He also fell behind on management tasks quite. Easily.
Great company with high values in Security management!
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 February 2018
Being a security guard with Commissionaires is a good job to have!

You will learn personal etiquette, deal with military, and learn a few interesting things!

Each site is unique to exactly what you will be doing, and each site has its own personal suitability.

Commissionaires security work builds Professional portfolios, by placing you in positions that require aptitude and high standards!
Pros
Great benifits, and high standards!
Cons
May deal with stressfull situations, and irritable people.
Large Company with some great people.
In the Position of Contractor Escort Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 January 2018
During my tenure at Commissionaires Ottawa I was generally very happy with all of the various positions that I held. A day in the life in my last position - Arrive at work and take care of urgent manning requirements. Prepare list for the next day of available personnel and plan and man work requirements for the next day in a fluid environment. Update various data bases.
Pros
Good relations with office staff and supervisors.
Cons
Required to work extra when swamped.
Company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 January 2018
It is a good company to work for.
A typical day differs for each job worked.
Management is friendly.
Most coworkers are friendly.
Long hours.
The individuals we work for.
I have been employed here for ten years.
Service Coordinator & Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC18 December 2017
Over the past ten years my jobs with the commissionaires Ottawa have taught me a lot. I have learned how to multi task, prioritize and be an effective customer service agent.
Security Guard
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 December 2017
Just another private security company that treats you like a tool or a number and not a person. All.they care about is filling bodies and expanding contracts. They don't hire ex military anymore
An 18 year old kid that just got his license and has zero security experience can work here now
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
To much to say.
Great Company to Work For
Night Shift Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ON21 November 2017
Great Company to Work For, They Hire Ex-Military and Ex Police officers and they take the Contracts they have seriously and the wages are very Competitive and fair.
Don't waste your time
Commissionaire (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 October 2017
They are ignorant ,rude , very incompetent , and that's just management , witnessed guards drunk ,sleeping ,or being as ignorant as possible for no reason . If you are an unemployable doofus who wants to work with others fools ,this place is for you .
Pros
Love working with my co-workers
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 July 2017
The company has little concerns for their staff. The primary concern is the contact, for obvious reasons. But when it comes to the well being of the employees, the lack care.
Pros
Meeting lots of people
Cons
Long days
A private security company
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 March 2017
One of the better ones to work for. I guess it's alright. The pay's okay, but private security is not that fun, nor is it innovative, or challenging. It's a job.
Kills your personnal life
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 February 2017
Always switching from day to evening to night shifts. No advancement at all it goes by segnority and there is so many people before you and that is event if you have a qualified school diploma
Pros
Good salary
Cons
No life
I love the people
Security Guard, Receptionist, Access Control (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 January 2017
Knowing that I am giving them protection in order for them to work no worries makes my day. I enjoy the responsibilities and the confidence they have to give me a one man post.
Pros
no supervision i am alone to do security.
Cons
not enought hours.
Respectfull and Fun
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON25 June 2016
A normal day at the Commissionaires is a Productive, enjoyable, knowledgeable, respectful, friendly, full of caring people place.
Pros
employees' food discount
Cons
not enough rewards for going the extra mile
Typical day at work
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 May 2016
I love to stay up to date with my surroundings. I have learned to remain calm when dealing with emergency situations with the help of our superiors and my fellow colleagues. It is most enjoyable in achieving serving the clients with the utmost respect and complete discretion and utmost, serving them with an awesome smile. Each day is different; we could be dealing with alarms, or injured person to a person in distress on the telephone. Training new incoming employee for a post and writing incident reports. Respecting the work ethics and the chain of command.
excellent
Drivers Abstract -Driver G (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 November 2015
could use some improvements
with management

adequate breaks , report writing , access control

hardest part of job is management
constant supervision

colleaques can be better
enjoyment part of job is when i work alone
Pros
great to work for
Cons
length of standing
work review
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 November 2015
Offers flexible hours, excellent for students or for a second job. Shift work, rotations, 8 to twelve hour shifts. Different positions like rover,desk jobs etc. locations. Best pay rate.
always learning
SHIFT SUPERVISOR/CONSOL OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 September 2015
I love this job, it is very busy, I have a great team and love working with the public. I like learning about Security and keeping people safe
Pros
Dealing with people all the time
Cons
Commissionaires Ottawa is a great place to work
Night Section Supervisor (Chief Warrant Officer) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 August 2015
I really enjoy being a Commissionaire! I have been fortunate enough to have been promoted 5 times in the last 6 years. I have received excellent training and on-the-job instructions from really reliable and greatly experienced individuals. Where I am currently working is almost a family feeling where one guard will help another.

There is always room for advancement. There is also a lot of flexibility in the hours that you work as well. I know many students from various colleges and universities that really appreciate the flexibility in the hours that they work.
Very productive and motivating environment.
Front desk receptionist, security guard. (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, On.31 August 2015
i personally found it quite interesting to work for them.
there was always more to learn, and the people made the job much more enjoyable.