Commissionaires Ottawa Employee Reviews

The pay is the nicest part of this job
Access Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 September 2018
If you're an old person it doesn't matter what you do, light the building on fire, who cares. If you're a younger person and do (1) mistake, you better be ready to never get any competition you ever apply for.
Bilingualism is not an asset, it's needed.
Get ready to work only rotational shifts for the rest of your life.
Benefits: Money is okay, insurance (medical ect.) is AMAZING which is good, because you're going to need it from never being able to sleep or eat properly.
Cons: Boring, if you're a women there will be sexist people you work with on a daily basis, probably no internet at your site horrible for 12h shifts, rotation, rotation, rotation.
Pros
A lot of time to study/learn new things, When you have good co-workers it's amazing, Depending on site/section the people you meet make it interesting, Pretty decent pay
Cons
Extremely long hours especially on rotational shifts, sexist, When you have bad management it really shows, No opportunities for advancement, This is a job not a career
There are enough Characters to say everything
Acting Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 January 2019
Current employee, was acting shift supervisor for 10 months. Was then told I cannot have the job because I'm not bilingual, then a non bilingual was hired for the job.

I asked during my first interview, whether there was advancement in the company for an anglophone. I was told yes, this is basically a lie. Most to all "competitions" are at least "functional French".

They tell you they work on a "competition" system for promotion and switching sites. This is another lie, the "competition" comes down to 3 votes ... HR gets a vote, the site supervisor, and the business operations manager or (BOM). So the vote can be rigged to move who they want to move.

Some of the people you will work with should not be a crossing guard let alone a security guard, this is not meant to be offensive to anyone in particular. However, this job does require a certain amount of physical and mental ability and I have been sent guards that could barely understand written instructions.

Worst security company I have worked for, go to any other security company.
Pros
Benefits are not terrible
Cons
Terrible hours, terrbile management from top to bottom
Don't... just do not
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 November 2018
I have worked for this "non-profit" (completely false) agency for 7 years.

Their management is uneducated and just plain stupid. This is a company for people that have no futures.

I am ashamed to ever have worked for this company they under pay and over-wage government agencies when they are understaffed and people have to pick up extra work.

The "higher uppers" are absolutely not qualitified to take any leadership roles. They amount of sexism, discrimination and disrespect I've seen from people that are suppose to be "managing" is disgusting.

As a spare it is even worst. Unfortunately I cannot give a worst rating.
benefits
Cons
everything
Not really worth it
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 October 2018
Their pay rate is slightly better than other contract security companies, but seeking employment here is not worth the trouble. If you're a casual employee, they refuse to tell you what the pay rate is for each site. They tell you to ask your section supervisor, but somehow, no one knows who the section supervisor is.

They will not tell you that full time employment is impossible without French until after you've already signed their contract. They will not tell you that there is no hope for advancement either without French as well. Even if you are fluent in multiple languages, this will be a dead end job if you don't speak French. You are charged for parking at almost every work site. There is little to no training available.
Pros
Slightly higher wages than other contract companies
Cons
No transparency, no hope for advancement without French, no full time employment without French, and no training.
Don't bother
Access Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 October 2018
Unless you are someone who is retired and looking for some work to do on your off time or a student who can handle the rotations and constantly changing work place I would suggest you stay away from this company.
Advancement isn't based on your effort but rather if people "like" you enough.
Never go against what any of your higher ranked officers say whether you know it's wrong or not, it's not worth the trouble and backlash against your profile.
Don't complain about breaks, this is "supposed" to be a military run environment (aka: no breaks) despite it being run much worse then actual military.

Typical day: Having a post included sitting there for hours on end waiting for something to happen while being hit on by creepy people within post and holding my tongue. Not having a post included sitting at home wondering why they only ever call you to go in when it's an hour before the time you have to go in and constantly having this feeling of guilt tripping when you know there's thousands of guards available. (Highest turnover rate within a security company should tell you something about it wouldn't you think?)

What I learned: If you're not french you will never get anywhere. If you're an older guard you can do whatever you want, if you're a younger guard you at most can maybe breathe and possibly, talk at the same time.

Management: Highest turn over rate? Ah yes that isn't just for guards but management as well. Strange huh........almost like.....the company doesn't appreciate work...

Workplace culture: I hope you enjoy brightly lit places 24/7 with a tv flickering
  more... on and off switching between the same (5) commercials for your entire shift. Oh also don't bring anything to heat up for lunch because your lunch is going to be at your desk. I used to use the heating vents behind me as a make way microwave.

Hardest part of the job: Rotational shifts. 7 days of working overnights, then a 2 day break, then 7 days of working evenings and a 3 day break. Everyday, for 2 years. I had enough.

Most enjoyable part of the job: The medical benefits. You'll need them, just trust me.
Pros
Literally nothing but the medical benefits
Cons
Everything else
productive workplace
Commissionaire / Shift Supervisor (Sergeant) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 May 2018
Long hours, bad communication within the CORPS, not enough raises for the work we do, great co-workers, not enough kudos, repetitive work, management is OK
Cons
long hours, night shifts
Not a terrible place to work
Mobile Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 September 2018
For security business in the National Capital Region, they are probably the best choice. Career advancement does exist but unlikely unless you are bilingual. At the time of enrollment you you have a strong\\g sense of professionalism and the team is very quick to employ you in the field. A transfer in the field is very time consuming and often discouraged if you are wanting to limit your availability etc.
Great company
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 December 2018
It is a company that cares for it's employee and growing inside the company is a really good thing for everyone. the experience they provide and all the courses are amazing and very detailed.
Pros
Great people you work and great benifits
Well established, poorly managed
Private security guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 April 2018
The company has a variety of contracts and is well connected within its communities, however the farther from the Ottawa head quarters you work the less relevant you seem to become. My area manager was forced to run himself ragged covering sick days and vacations because head office refused to let him hire a spare to take the edge off. This meant if you where sick he could be busy and have no one to take over. He also fell behind on management tasks quite. Easily.
I understand the complexity of working with various clients.
Security guard perm/p/t (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 August 2018
Although a very structured and well-meaning company to work with, there is room to improve the pay scale for their loyal, dedicated Commissionaires.

They are having to deal with clients' various security styles, needs and must adhere to many as technology is quickly replacing the bodies needed to secure equipment, buildings and access.
Pros
Diligent and understanding administration.
Cons
Unforeseen technology needs.

Want to know more about Commissionaires Ottawa?

Ask a question
Excellent
Corporate Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 June 2018
Top employer, great people, fast paced environment, learn from others, always changing needs, allows for idea exchange between staff and executives. All around amazing
Great company with high values in Security management!
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 February 2018
Being a security guard with Commissionaires is a good job to have!

You will learn personal etiquette, deal with military, and learn a few interesting things!

Each site is unique to exactly what you will be doing, and each site has its own personal suitability.

Commissionaires security work builds Professional portfolios, by placing you in positions that require aptitude and high standards!
Pros
Great benifits, and high standards!
Cons
May deal with stressfull situations, and irritable people.
good for students
guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 August 2018
its a good job if your ok working nights and weekends. the pay is decent and they cover training and help pay for the license. and have a health plan.
decent
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 July 2018
decent place to work, hard to always get hours you want, training takes 1 week without pay. boring but great job for student. it is an asset to be a veteran or bi lingual.
Pros
good pay
Cons
long shifts
Company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 January 2018
It is a good company to work for.
A typical day differs for each job worked.
Management is friendly.
Most coworkers are friendly.
Long hours.
The individuals we work for.
the best company I worked for
security guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 August 2018
Excellent place. The best company I worked for.

Very well organized
Pros
everything
Cons
I dont think they have one
Good work for students, not a career
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 November 2012
I enjoy working with the commissionaires, but I want a career now and to have all the things I would like in life I can't work for a job that pays this low. Though it pays better then other security jobs. I am ready to start a career and not just work a job that helps me get by.
Pros
friendly employees, hard working, good training, some possible future opportunities
Cons
long hours, bad management skills, night shifts
Large Company with some great people.
In the Position of Contractor Escort Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 January 2018
During my tenure at Commissionaires Ottawa I was generally very happy with all of the various positions that I held. A day in the life in my last position - Arrive at work and take care of urgent manning requirements. Prepare list for the next day of available personnel and plan and man work requirements for the next day in a fluid environment. Update various data bases.
Pros
Good relations with office staff and supervisors.
Cons
Required to work extra when swamped.
Kills your personnal life
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 February 2017
Always switching from day to evening to night shifts. No advancement at all it goes by segnority and there is so many people before you and that is event if you have a qualified school diploma
Pros
Good salary
Cons
No life
Commissionaires Ottawa is a great place to work
Night Section Supervisor (Chief Warrant Officer) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 August 2015
I really enjoy being a Commissionaire! I have been fortunate enough to have been promoted 5 times in the last 6 years. I have received excellent training and on-the-job instructions from really reliable and greatly experienced individuals. Where I am currently working is almost a family feeling where one guard will help another.

There is always room for advancement. There is also a lot of flexibility in the hours that you work as well. I know many students from various colleges and universities that really appreciate the flexibility in the hours that they work.