Commissionaires Great Lakes Employee Reviews

Management Only Objective Is To Exploit Potential Employees
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2019
I have worked for over a decade with this company and despite my work experiences and rank, senior management failed to show gratitude. They will grab the opportunity to pay you less if you are required to transferred due to loss of contract or etc. As for the area managers their only objective is to see that a position is filled not the employee's welfare. If you are a civilian working for the Commissionaires and ambitious you will be a constant threat to older veterans. They will make it clear that the Commissionaires started due to veterans so your civilian ranks does not make any difference. As you know technology is very important therefore your knowledge as a younger Commissionaire will be sabotage by these older Commissionaires on a daily basis. As for me my superior tried to suppressed my efforts by portraying me as a bad person. The area managers does not visit the sites and interact with the subordinates therefore the senior Commissionaires would abuse their employees by threating them. If you wanted to pursue a career in security I would strongly advised you not to waste your time with this selfish company who regularly boast about being on the Forbes Fortune List.
Pros
Managed important contracts
Cons
Will used any opportunity to paid employees less
Decent Client, Terrible Supervisor
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Elora, ON29 November 2018
The site in Elora has a good client but a terrible supervisor. The supervisor is always changing the schedule to suit her needs, which made it impossible to hold a second job. They were going to 8 hour shifts on the weekends just before I left there. Good luck getting a weekend off after that. You work alone at this site but the supervisor would still call you constantly checking up on you. Great when you are new, not so much when you aren't. If you can put up a bad supervisor and a 30 minute drive from Guelph feel free to apply.
Cons
Schedule, Supervisor, Location
Great place to start
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 November 2018
Great place to get your feet wet and gain experience.
You can progress through the company with hard work and determination. Nights are the worst part of the job
Pros
Job security
Cons
Mostly night shifts
Pathetic pay -minimum wage to be bylaw
Bylaw Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  London, ON20 October 2018
Work out of the bylaw detachment. Paid basically minimum wage to walk around downtown in dangerous areas in all weather conditions. Hoping not to get stabbed by a junky or shot. Work crazy swing shifts ie days and then midnights with no day off inbetween.

This company sucks and hopefully the contract goes to a better company in 2020.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Pay, schedule, and safety
Great History
ID Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 October 2018
This company goes back to WWI and has been doing security since that time. Great pride working for a company like that with long traditions of service and great people.
Pros
Free Uniforms
Cons
Now open to people who were not part of the military
Not female friendly.
Security (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 August 2018
Women have no place here. That's how I felt and its unfortunate as we are in the 21st century. Management allows for people to carry on unprofessionally without any repercussions.

It's still and is boys club. Having a thick skin sometimes isn't enough.
Pros
Health and dental benefits
Cons
Bad management
professional
Commissionaire (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 March 2018
Top Notch, Very Professional organization. Best training.Good advancement opportunities. Excellent management.Great certificate training, i.e. Use of Force - Level 3 and X-ray Security Systems including baggage, walk through and handheld.
Pros
Great Management
Productive and fun workplace
HR Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 March 2018
I love commissionaires Greats Lakes!!!, there is huge room to grow within the organization which is awesome!!!! very detailed and organized staff. I look forward to going to work everyday because of the wonderful team I work with.
Veterans deserve better than CGL
Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 February 2018
In the company's current state, I would be very hesitant to recommend Commissionaires Great Lakes to a Veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces or the police. Change in management has lead to change in the way that Veterans are treated at the company. Despite the advertising done by the company, finding work for Veterans is no longer their main objective.

Low salaries are being offered to Veterans. The company also has a habit of hiring unpaid interns for short-term contracts, and staff at their head office through temp agencies, instead of hiring military veterans.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
Professional and productive
Security Professional/ Commissionaire (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2018
Maintaining positive, professional working relationships with clients, co-workers and the general public, ensuring that all forms, manuals and policies are adhered to in the appropriate manner. Ensuring client property is secure.
Pros
customer service
Cons
one time only summit
nice
Mobile Licensing Coordinator- Groundside Ops (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON16 January 2018
great work environment that is very rewarding in terms of helping customers and vendors. There is a lot to do and work is not repetitive. Each day brings a different challenge and it is fun to tackle them head on daily.
Pros
work environment
Cons
doesnt pay enough
Unsafe work environment and give awful references
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 December 2017
Security guards made to do patrols outside ALONE, at night and put in very unsafe situations. Also, when called to give a reference handed to HR.. why wouldn't they be able to talk to our site supervisors?? Makes no sense, instead hands it off to someone who doesn't even know the employee. Disgusting treatment of employees. If you're looking for a security job look elsewhere.
Cons
Long hours/Unsafe situations/poor employee treatment
management only cared about themselves
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 August 2017
with over 3 years in the company excelling at my position, i was continuously passed over for new opportunities. We were guaranteed interviews for any internal positions, yet I applied for at least a dozen internal postings without ever receiving an interview. Very poorly managed.
Good
Court of Appeal- Usher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2017
The pay scale comparing to other companies is really good but management and daily operation could be hard to deal with every now and then. Few ups and downs with the company but over all its a decent company to work with.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Management and locations.
not enough pay too many 12 hr shifts
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 July 2017
management was poor and hard to get a hold of they did not reimburse me for my work boots and pant hem money, and they terminated me from the company for no reason, this company is illogical and foolish. the uniform was way over priced. it was like a wild goose chase tring to get a hold of management for my reimbusement money and i still have not got it yet!
Pros
Cons
they made misstakes on pay stub at times
very productive
SECURITY GUARD (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 March 2017
maintaining peace and order.
I have learned to work under different situations , tense situations, sensitive situations .
Management is great couldn't be any happier at work.
Pros
new experiencs and challenges every day
Cons
some times very tense situations
Not enough money
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 March 2017
Good company to work for, but you don't get payed enough to deal with situations that you face everyday. They always have something work wise for you to do though which is good.
Pros
Work
Cons
Not enough money
Productive and friendly workplace
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 February 2017
Entertainment programs such as pancake days, potlog parties, ...
Hard working staffs
Location is convenient
I do not know about payment and benefits because I am a volunteer in that company.
fun place to work at
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2017
on a typical work day, you get on your desk, review your emails, get binto the job assigned to you for the day.the hardest part of the job is getting to do different tasks at a particular time.
Good Job
Customer Service Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2017
Get to meet new people every day
learn about customer service
Good management
Good peers
workplace culture is friendly
Hardest part and the easiest part of the job is either customer satisfaction or enforcement, and when you have pick both.
meeting people from all walks of life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commissionaires Great Lakes. Our community is ready to answer.

Commissionaires Great Lakes Reviews by Location