Commissionaires Great Lakes

Commissionaires Great Lakes Employee Reviews

If you like variety and working outdoors in all sorts of weather, then crossing guard work is the job for you.I am a naturally social person, so this job was a perfect fit for me. The company provided me with excellent outer wear for all types of weather. The school was a nice warm place to retreat to. Great opportunity to meet the local communities. Wonderful fresh air and peaceful scenery as well
Pros
Ample training, pleasant supervisor
Cons
Cold and rainy at times
Not a good place to work at.not professional .You need to be an Indian to be in high position.Pay rate is too low People in the high positions are not well educated
I work casual part time, so not sure about what full time is like with this company. I am able to choose what shifts I would like to work. I have a FT job outside of the Commissionairs so this works great for me. The pay varies per site worked but is pretty fair. I have worked a few sites where the pay has been as high as 25 per hour, so no complaints there. The one negative I have is about management. Very disorganized and scattered. They don't seem to know what is happening a lot of the time. I'm sure its probably the same with all contract companies. I dont think managers are paid very well so they don't exactly attract the cream of the crop. Overall, not bad for part time work.
Pros
Decent pay, flexibility
Cons
Poor management
very good place to work . Very slow pace to get increment and promotion in guard service . I do recommend my to work . compare to other security serivce its very good company to work
Pros
no free lunches, or regular meetings by senior management .
Cons
some of the sites have standard way of working
Scheduling in Security is always erratic. CGL is no exception. If you're a single parent with young children, solid childcare in place is a must. You could get a new site, new schedule assigned in less than 24 hours.
Pros
Different environments at each site
Cons
Street people, late night/early AM patrols that could be dangerous alone. The Old Boys Club is alive and well, with veterans receiving the plum hours, assignments.
23 July 2020
Hello - this is the COO. I'm not sure this is terribly accurate. We do our best to accommodate all guards and any personal requirements. If you are a guard on our spares list, then yes - you could be asked to work a site with 24 hours notice but that is not our standard practice for permanent sites. It's safe to say our clients would not be thrilled if we did this.
If you are a self respecting woman stay away When you will complain more than once about open perverted behavior even proven they will fire you and the man will get a bonus
23 July 2020
Hello - this is the COO. This is flagrantly false. We have policies and procedures against any such behaviour and all matters are thoroughly investigated through our HR department and as required, our in-house counsel. Our policies and procedures manual outlines the standard operating procedures in these matters.
Great Company to work for great coworkers, Management is very helpful, great career Advancement lots of things to learn overall top company to work in
23 July 2020
Hello - this is the COO. I really appreciate your feedback. It's a validation of all the work that went into transforming our company over the last 3 years.
you can work literally anywhere and meet many different people from all walks of life. Some sites are great and some not so great. It can be relaxed or busy. It all depends on where you are.
23 July 2020
Hello - thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you're enjoying your experience at Commissionaires.
Very friendly and supportive management team. I have been involved with many different projects at TPIA. From working on the curb and providing assistance to drivers and passengers through being involved in traffic enforcement and patrol. I learned a great deal about daily operational procedures and responsibilities performing daily tasks like assistance with emergency responds, incidents, customers service problems, training etc.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Commissionaires Great Lakes?
They pay $2/hr premium for all the Security guards working for them during this time. The extra $160 every pay check is a great relief for me in this situation.
23 July 2020
Hello, this is the COO. The $2/hour premium came at a great cost to our organization but it was a decision we didn't hesitate to make. We always try to put our employees first despite these uncertain times.
It was a good experience, grateful for the opportunity. Operations is amazing, very helpful they would take down your availability and check in. Work environment was great.
23 July 2020
Hello, this is the COO. Thank you for your positive feedback. We do try to create a positive working environment.
Do you hate earning a living wage? Would you like to be nothing but a nameless, faceless, automaton? Do you enjoy being overlooked, underpaid, and disrespected? Do you aspire to be a disposable pawn in the short-sighted bottom-line thinking of upper-management's greed? Then this is the dead-end job for you!
23 July 2020
Hello - this is the COO. It never surprizes me some of the comments I read on Indeed.ca. Yes, we do use automation to drive performance, but return any benefit we receive from our clients back to our guards in the form of higher wages. Since September 2019 - we have created over 100+ jobs with a starting wage of $20/hour.....yes, many of these are in the GTA, but we are working hard to ensure wages in the London area are competitive. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but it's not reflective of our broader organization. I certainly wouldn't be taking the time to personally respond to these comments either if it didn't matter to me.
Great to work for commissionaires ! Good management . Good pay rate. Flexible schedule. Team based operations. Experienced colleagues. Great company atmosphere !
23 July 2020
This is the COO. Thank you for your feedback. We do our best to put our employees first.
I enjoyed learning new skills to deal with difficult customers/passengers and in my role as a Taxi/Limo Dispatcher. It was wonderful working with this company.
23 July 2020
This is the COO. I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience.
I'm sure the coo will chime in with there remarks to try and get people to apply But honestly if you live in London Ontario there are way better security Jobs out there that offer full time. I could barely live a proper life with their pay and no shifts til day off. Operations are really bad at there job , I think they have favourite people the must give shift We need more full time positions. .
23 July 2020
Indeed - the COO will respond. We have turned away more clients that we have accepted because we've been adamant about pay increases for our guards. Again, the comments may be dated but the last 100+ jobs we've created had a starting wage of $20/hour.
When I got the call to come in for an interview, I thought to myself. Should I or should I pass. I went in and at first glance the office was messy, nobody was at the front desk answering the phone and the HR person had to stop her present interview to come out and let me know it will be about 10 minutes before i get seen. I was offered a superviosr position here in london ontario, but my pay was only .25 cents hire than all the guards at the site. The benefit package package was horible, coverage was very poor and there was a hefty co-payment if you needed anything. My first thought was to say no thanks and walk out, i stayed and listened to see if it would get better. I was expected to to do all payroll, scheduling, training and site disciplining of the guards if anything went wrong. I needed a job for the moment, so i took the position. fast forward one month, dealing with the office was absolute night mare, the manager at the time had no personality, all he did was yell at the guards and anyone who asked him a question. The uniform I was given was stained and seriousy overpriced. Fast forward 6 months, i came to the office for an all managers meeting, I walked in and there was all new people. I thought to myself this is a bad sign. I went home that night and talked to my wife, the next day I handed in my resignation and walked out. The guards at the site said I was the 3rd supervisor to quit. I wonder why.
23 July 2020
This is the COO. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience. It's not reflective of our broader organization.
They make a lot of promises but deliver on none. They treat the guards like numbers. This is not a team company. This is a non profit company that benefit few and takes advantage of others. When clients learn how much we are getting paid they are shocked! Full time jobs are rare , They are trying to put everyone part time so they can take advantage of them and limit their rights. I believe they want to make it the next amazon of security were the management makes lots and everyone else is working in fear for their job. They have spent a small fortune to stop the guards from unionizing ,hiring top law firms . Their biggest fear is that the guards will have more rights and pay increases . The rates to the clients increase every year but the guards never see any increase.
23 July 2020
Although this comment was written in 2019 - it's definitely not accurate. The last 100+ jobs we've created started at $20/hour across 8 different clients. We issue each guard a corporate issued smart phone. For those reading these comments, please keep in mind there will always be disgruntled employees who feel they were wronged in some way - it's unfortunate but always inevitable for a company our size.
This is absolutely the worst company to work for !! I was fired from the company because there was no washroom on site and I had to go. Do not work for this company they have lost all of their sites anyways and do not have a union. The owner, regional manager, and especially the clown HR person are all goofballs who have no idea what they are doing. Currently filing a lawsuit against the company
25 July 2019
Hello, this is the COO. We do not fire people for no reason. Even if we do terminate, we hold ourselves to a very high standard for termination - so context is important. We have not lost all our sites. On the contrary- we're growing our strategic accounts. We have been intentionally focussing our client targets to those we deem are a good fit for what we have to offer, and letting other contracts expire. I believe our HR, Regional manager etc are doing a great job. I'm sorry you feel the need to file a lawsuit.
It’s a bit of a weird company. They emphasize their veterans, but it’s also a security company. It’s very confusing to me personally. I admire the work they do for vets, but for those of us who aren’t vets, we feel like outsiders.
Pros
Been around for like a 100 years
Cons
They’re all over the place
25 July 2019
Hello, this is the COO. We do our best to balance our social mandate objectives while opening the doors to all guards including civilians. We will keep trying harder to create opportunities for all.
The COO regularly communicates with us. They talk a lot about becoming a high performance organization. They are paying ridiculous bonuses ($15,000 for the top spare!).That is a lifesaving amount of money for someone like me, and they are pretty generous with pay rates for part-time work. I’ve been regularly making $16.25 per hour as a spare.
Pros
Good wages and bonus
13 July 2019
Hello, this is the COO. Indeed, we are trying to differentiate our organization as one who recognizes top performance. I came from an investment bank and top performers got generous bonuses. We want to implement a similar recognition model at Commissionaires where bonuses are meaningful and recognize the best of the best.
The company went through a huge change. Apparently fired everyone and then rehired everyone. Apparently the changes they made seem to be working and I’m pretty happy. The company seems way more responsive when my previous Regional Manager never even visited the site.
Pros
Site transparency
Cons
High expectations for performance
13 July 2019
Hello, this is the COO. We went through some tough changes no doubt, but we certainty didn't fire everyone (for the record). We made changes we deemed were necessary to become "the future of security"....and that investment has paid off....