Combined Insurance Employee Reviews

commission sales
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON6 April 2018
had t o go door to door to sell disability insurances
went t to business to business selling insurance
manage to build a clientele from referral
manage your own time ( independent contracted )
Commission
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB25 March 2018
You have to be a sale person in this role because your income is fully commission. I became part of the company because I loved the products they sold so it was more of a provide value job for me but eventually it became a sales job for me and I didn't fee the product suited everyone so the target market wasn't as easy to find. However, that is just me and I do believe they have amazing cover but as a job for me it didn't have a big future.
Pros
Flex
summary
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Truro, NS22 March 2018
you make your own hours,
clients are very nice
you make it what you want it to be
you are your own boss
Co-workers are very nice
everyone is like family
Pros
you make your own hours
Cons
have to save for tax season
Commission only...not for everyone
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2018
Commission only. Great products but average sales organization and structure. All your new leads are expected from your family/friends, existing network or cold calling.
Pros
flexible hours, good products, good commission
Cons
self employed contractor, no benefits, salary, wage, 100% commission
Official response from Combined Insurance
19 March 2018

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this review. As you listed in your "pros", agents at Combined enjoy the ability to manage their own calendars, setting up appointments with customers at times that are convenient for both the customers and the agents. Our agents have the ability to make a virtually unlimited income based on the volume of their sales. Thanks again, and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

Good Learning Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB1 March 2018
I found it great for the first week I was highly motivated than came the downturn. My Sales Leader wasn't putting in the effort to train me I was fed to the wolves after the first week basically. You're a pretty much door to door salesman and nobody trusts insurance agents to begin with I didn't feel like it was a career at all. Near the end I was told I needed to purchase an Ipad which didn't go very well because I refuse to support any Apple products whatsoever hmm I bet someone in the company was getting a nice kickback on that one? It was very strange because at first the atmosphere was awesome but than it changed for some reason. I never once felt like I was my own boss You are required to be there pretty much every morning unless you had an appointment I was falling down the hill rapidly with nobody to talk to so I had to go get another job to make ends meet which is why I'm not there anymore because I had a 2nd job which made me miss morning meetings and the fact they forced me to go out and buy something I refused to buy an Ipad.
Pros
Excellent commissions rates, Payed school, Agent account
Cons
Not your own boss, Doesn't feel like a true career, Ipad exclusive app, ridiculous policy write ups especially for disability
American comapny, American rules
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON21 February 2018
They very much follow the American way of doing things. This is how it's done, do it. Don't question us, we know best. Too focused on the sales agents, to the detriment of head office staff. Head office staff are underpaid and the best ones leave to go elsewhere. What you are left with is "yes-men" and people that are willing to work for a lower salary. Combined Insurance is a stepping stone to a career in insurance. High staff turnaround leaves little experience left to run the business. Management is aware of this, but refuses to fix it. Low salaries for head office staff remain and sales agents get all the perks. It's all about quantity, not quality, at head office. Managers are either too rigid and have to tow the company line or too new to understand what they're getting into. Trying to move the company up-market with high value products, but sold through agents who don't understand the concept due to training issues that never get fixed. Company sets un-realistic targets then suffers when they aren't met, which eventually filters down to the employees thru low salaries and very tough expectations with little to no incentive to meet them. Company is run more and more like the American head office is, to the point of being unable to explain to them why things won't work here. Very rigid, American style of management (not unlike the current man in the White House), they just don't get why it doesn't work.It has to work as it works great in the USA... So long as you can do what they say without thinking about it, this is the place to work. Get the work done and watch the agents  more... get all the good stuff, but don't complain our you'll get black balled.  less
Pros
Work was easy, but high volumes and very repetitive.
Cons
Low payscale attracts low quality people, Uncaring management who can't fix problems now matter how many times you complain, very frustrated and tired home office staff.
Very secure
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2018
Working here was very comfortable, there were some days more challenging than others with how much to do, but you never felt overwhelmed. Everyone was friendly and accommodating, and it is also a very secure place of work.
Great Place to work
Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON13 February 2018
Great training and assistants to help you be successful. Amazing Products.
You learn how to sale, how to help people with claims and service existing clients.
High paste environment
Bilingual customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON12 February 2018
You must be ready to work fast and efficiently, the manager was great and patient with the newbies,
I love that work place the whole company atmosphere was amazing I definitely recommend you to work there plus the pay is great .
Pros
Company positive vibe
Cons
I don’t have any
Efforts récompensées l’horaire qui vous convient
Représentant des ventes (Current Employee) –  Sainte-Thérèse, QC30 January 2018
Expérience de travail enrichissante avec possibilités d’avancements
Not worth it
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC11 January 2018
I went into this with high hopes, and was really let down. Commission pay only which is great if you have consistent sales, but consistent sales are rare. They get you hyped up and excited with promises of high commissions and awesome bonuses but the reality is once you leave school don't expect much. As a customer (my family purchased policies for ourselves) I am beyond angry. Our payment date for our policies is the 20th of each month but so far over the last week they have tried to charge my account 4 times! Resulting in 4 NSF charges from my bank. Overall just a terrible company not worth your time.
Pros
Cons
Lack of pay, low commission rate
productive with different sales experience
Sales & Marketing Representative (Commission) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 January 2018
enjoyed communication in person with clients and interaction of knowledge about the insurance products of company. overall remained satisfied with the duties.
Cons
All about numbers, percentages.
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 November 2017
Overloaded with work in Underwriting, managers that only worry about numbers, percentages, goals.No care or concern. They will talk about Fair Treatment of Customers,but when errors are pointed out that go against this, resistance. Problems are reported to HR, apparently fixed but still no change in attitudes. Work was easy enough but very little support or recognition. Do it this way, no questions to be asked.

Pay is well below industry average, lowering morale. This brought to attention of mgmt many times over the last 5 yrs. They're aware of it but never fix it.
Pros
easy enough job
Cons
ineptitude, lack of concern.
I believe combined insurance is a great company that can field great information.
Sales Rep/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick5 October 2017
Easy advancement
Travel
Self employed
Great commission
The job its self is a excellent opportunity, however if timed in the wrong period of time in your life the opportunity will be wasted. The commission only base is hard for some not yet ready to engage in sales outside their comfort zone. once someone is comfortable In the speaking Side of the job then it is awesome opportunity. being honest is key because if you are not ready financially and mentally to enter a dry period without pay, you will not be able to wait for the high pay out.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Hard to get pay
You get what you give.
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ON25 September 2017
As this is your own small business. while it is part of a larger corporation, you will only get out of it what you put in. The more positive you are and the more hours you are willing to work the more you will make. There are current clients to visit and they will suggest ways of finding new clients as well.
Pros
Make your own hours.
Cons
Lots of driving.
Its alright
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 September 2017
sales oriented, very demanding, a lot of time spent on the road. solely commission based. you may not make any money at all sometimes. I did not like the role.
Amazing company!
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Manitoba16 September 2017
I needed a flexible job to help take care of my children. It wasn't easy at the beginning but I kept at it and by the end of the first year I earned almost 60K. Which was 20K more than my previous job and I worked less hours. In my second year I'm on track to earn close to 80K.

I have had so much fun working here and can't imagine doing anything else.
Pros
Culture, hours worked and pay
Enjoy what I do
Accident and Sickness Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 September 2017
A typical day would include outside sales and networking to sell accident and sickness insurance.
I have learned how to get out of my comfort zone.
The management team for this Company is very supportive.
Hardest part of the job is staying motivated and focused.
The work life/balance is the most enjoyable part of the job. I have the freedom to make my own hours and spend time with my family when required.
Pros
Self employed, make own owers
Cons
Commission pay, no benefits
Très bonne emploi
Représentante des ventes (Current Employee) –  Laurentides, QC18 August 2017
Très bon emploi, possibilité de bonus, avancement etc.. payer à la commission
Pros
Créé son chèque de paie
Cons
Commission
Training was unsatisfying
Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 July 2017
You are suppose to get one full week of infield training. I only got three days, made me realize that I was unfit for a commission job though. If you have experience with commission jobs with little to no training then this would be a good job for you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Combined Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.