COLUMBIA INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE Employee Reviews

no comment
Accounting Specialist/Campus Store Rep (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 February 2018
It can be a great place to work. In general, it is great working with the students. It can be a nice environment to work at, alot of potential still.
Going through a transistion
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 January 2018
I’ve had the opportunity to witness a positive change in the Management and leadership for the better. The school seems to be retaining the people who care about the students and work hard to make things better and finally having a review of those who’ve slid through under the radar all these years. I’m one who is for the positive changes in our school and residences. There has been a big change to improve the experiences for both staff and the students experience.
Pros
Subsidized staff meals and friendly colleagues
Cons
I have to park and walk from another building to get to my classes
Fun place to work, nightmare management -beware
Activities Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 January 2018
Money hungry management do not care about staff in the least which is evident by the turnover rate. Lost 17 teachers in one semester. Front line staff are underpaid, undervalued and overworked. You will not get any feedback, reviews, raises or anything like a professional workplace would provide - so if you're okay with that, then you'll be okay here. The kids are the best part. They are the only part that makes working at the school/business even close to remotely worthwhile. School has enough money to hire media team to make elaborate promotional videos but can not afford to pay their staff a livable wage. Avoid, avoid, avoid.
Awesome workplace with amazing people
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 November 2017
I have been working with Columbia international college for over a year now and it is one of the best careers I have ever had the staff are all great people the supervisors are always there to help and actually stop to say good job which is rare these days and the upper management are fantastic group of people to work for and give you great support it's a very family like feel in the workplace the owners of the company are some of the most down to earth great people you will ever meet and if they do read these I would like to thank you for giving me a opportunity to work at Columbia international college. I have learnt so much in such a short time and made a lot of new friends. The company offers excellent training and overall will treat you great.
Pros
Good training, chef cooked meals, great people and amazing upper mangement
Cons
Only thing I can think of is no golf tournaments
Residence staff
Residence staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, Ontario30 October 2017
CIC is going through lots of changes. I really like it here and feel like the management is trying to fix it up.
I feel like I can go to my managers. The other comments on here are not from the people that I see everyday.
People are friendly, nice and seem to want to help you.
It is stable and I get lots of hours.
Pros
Nice people, option to move up
Cons
pay for sure
Wasted potential
Houseparent (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 October 2017
This school is disrespectful to its staff and students. The management have little to no experience in how to work with children and newcomers to Canada. I'm ashamed to have worked for such a corrupt company, especially since the students themselves were fantastic! The residences are like prison, and the management will stop at nothing to try to control it (and you). I advise anyone to skip this job and watch an episode of Orange is the New Black instead. You will see for yourself what it was like here....
Pros
Amazing students
Cons
Horrific management and poor ethics
Great Place to Work!
Security (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 October 2017
I started off at Columbia in an entry level position. I have gained so much experience since working here and have grown so much in many different ways. Columbia has helped nurture me in my career and given me opportunities to grow within the Company. It is a great place to work and the Students are absolutely wonderful.
Pros
Amazing Students, Great Staff, Great Atmosphere
Terrible place to work - staff turnover is monumental
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 October 2017
This school makes a lot of promises when they hire you or recruit you but as soon as you start your employment with them they swiftly fall short. I have never in my life seen an organization treat their staff so disrespectfully.It is unusual for employees to last more than one year to 18 months in this workplace.
Pros
A paycheck until you can't take it anymore
Cons
Don't live up to contract promises, management treats staff very poorly
Made a mistake taking a job here
Residence staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 September 2017
I wanted nothing more then to be employed with Columbia. The students are amazing to work with but besides that I regret ending up here. Management does not like to communicate with staff. They ignore all your attempts. They pretend not to hear you or your concerns. DO not trust them when they promise you anything. Your wage will NOT increase and it is very very difficult to get any time off. They will under staff you and expect the same amount of work from you. Staff are very cliquey. The environment is not a healthy one to work in, bullying happens. I would not recommend employment with them. Management is the biggest downfall for them. They either ignore you or try bullying you into their perspectives. Do not work here
Pros
Students, free meal
Cons
everything else
good
Volunteer Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 August 2017
Good place to be if you are looking to start your career. I learnt so much while I was there and I met so many amazing people that have helped me make decisions for my future

Want to know more about COLUMBIA INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE?

Ask a question
Run and Run fast
ACTS Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 July 2017
I spent three years of my life here that I will never get back. This organization supports bullying by it's employees . Poor wages and leadership. The turnover rate is sad and pathetic.
Pros
The students I had the pleasure of working with.
The school sucks
assistant residence director (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 July 2017
Human Resources and Management are Incompetent. they hire young staff whom they can offer lower pay too. Good luck to anyone who took a job at this place, you will regret. Thank God I found something better with greater pay and better environment.
Pros
free lunches, students
Cons
management and human resources
Great workplace with international students
Residence Chaperone Summer Camp (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 July 2017
Working at Columbia International College was a great experience since you get to meet people from other countries and you can be part of their language learning experience.
great environment to learn and grow
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  1003 king street west18 June 2017
You get out what you put in to your career at Columbia. A respectful and clean environment to work and learn investigative techniques to forward your progress in the law enforcement industry.
Pros
health benifits after 3 months
office admin
Student Services Officer - Academic (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 April 2017
Not recommended as a full time job, as they are very likely to get rid of you 1 day before you would have become a full time employee. Sometimes students can be a little difficult to handle.
Pros
you can buy lunch at cafeteria
Cons
staff very cliquey
Unreasonable Employee Expectations
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 April 2017
Positives: Some great co-workers
Negatives:
Management- They don't care what the bottom feeder employees think. There is no valuing of input and/or opinions
Salary- It is said that wages are competitive, but it is way below comparable jobs
Workload & Security: You are expected to do a lot of work outside of your work day. Teachers are not given any time for administrative duties. There is no prep/administrative period... all of this must be done on your own time and if not done to the employer's satisfaction, there is fear of dismissal since you're a contract employee.
Pros
Some co-workers
Cons
Salary & workload
Diverse Workplace
Mentor and Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 March 2017
Although I didn't get paid for it, however, I do not regret it. I was able to multitask and it required working in a diverse environment. I enjoyed getting to interact with different people and learnt one or two things about various cultures.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
I had to be on my feet for most part, so it was tiring
Terrible place to work
Campus Security (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 January 2017
If you have been offered a job here do not take it!

The turnover here is beyond ridiculous, this is why they are constantly hiring new employees. Once you start working here you will be looking for a way out asap!
People are not appreciated unless they know how to suck up to those in power. Those who do suck up do not deserve the breaks they get.
Very fake and incompetent upper management.
Salary and benefits here are a joke, you might as well work for minimum wage at a company that will appreciate you.
Pros
A few of the workers are genuinely nice and deserve to get out!
Cons
Salary/benefits, no training, no support
Great job
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton8 January 2017
I enjoyed the atypical work hours, which gave flexibility to my schedule. It was a fun way to interact with students and help them improve their language skills.
Pros
meal card plan
Cons
commuting around city to various residences
Prospects think twice
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 December 2016
In my time wirking for Columbia College I saw the company go from partially caring for more than the bottom line to only caring about the bottom line.
The turnover in staff is never ending as the support is next to non-existant from the higher managers. Useful suggestions from front line employees are casually tossed into the "don't really care" pile while those that just go along with every bad decision get praised.
Promotion, if you want to refer to it as such, is not based on your time in and ability so much as the whim of the new management structure and how much you can suck up to them. There is absolutely no loyalty base here anymore since the owner took a back seat to let his son and hired number crunchers take control.
Think twice very carefully before you accept any position from this company.
Pros
Cheap lunch if you can find something that isn't coated in MSG.
Cons
Everything else. Lack of support. Lack of loyalty. The list goes on.