Columbia International College Employee Reviews

good
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 May 2019
good and nice place to work perfectly environment, the possibility to interact with people, the best place to work here I will definitely recommend anybody.
Pros
free parking
learning and growing
International Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 May 2019
it is a good school that helps student in a an all round growth of the mind and body. provide opportunity for student to express and develop new skills in leadership, team work etc.
Pros
available resources
Cons
nil
Improving Workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ainsleywood27 March 2019
The employees are nice. There have been a lot of upgrades to buidings which is good.

On snow days, employees get paid to stay home and if they work, they get paid time and a half each hour.

Really confusing org structure. Not sure who is in charge. Some things has everyone involved and other times hardly any.

The work schedule can be busier then a person can handle but it is definitely not boring.

The management try hard and seem appreciative. They are very nice and want to make time for people.

There are so many buildings that not all employees know each other. It has gotten better but there is still room to get better.

I would recommend it.
Pros
Days go fast, lots to keep you busy, nice people
Cons
Intense work schedule, inconsistency
An outstanding workplace.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 March 2019
CIC is an outstanding school. It is an excellent place to learn and grow. The total care education system is the best a school system has to offer its students, families and staff. Hard work, reliability, and a genuine student centered approach is valued and nurtured. With so many excellent departments there is room for all employees to continue to grow professionally and personally. Limitless opportunity. Executive and School leaders are fair, transparent , and have created a positive work culture.
Pros
Leadership opportunities, subsidized meals
Horrible management & elitist / entitled workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 February 2019
Good luck getting any kind of job advancement if you're not friends or know someone in upper management.

Nepotism and favouritism is rampant, management is saturated with this elitist / entitlement problem, where no one can do anything wrong especially the family rich students.

It's just a cash grab for the school

They will take your ideas then get rid of you for whatever reason they make up.

High turn over

Stay away, stay very far away
Pros
Good cafeteria lunch, benefits
Cons
Everything else
A mediocre company
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 February 2019
The salary of the company is on the low end compared to other similar positions in general and the company seems not to have any culture. Sometimes need to work overtime.
Pros
cheap lunch
Do not work here
House parent (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 January 2019
Was employed there for two years. Stayed as long as I did to try and improve the life of the students but the priority of management is to try and milk as much money out of their parents while providing the students with sub standard care and education. Management actively punishes any attempt to help the students succeed. Management will promise voluptuous raises and benefits but will never deliver. It is very easy to get a job here because turnover is ridiculous but DO NOT take it!
Pros
Cons
Terrible management, low wages, lies from management
Fun working environment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 October 2018
Its more fun that work really. comfortable atmosphere.u get to meet new people.The instructors are amazing and really easy to talk too.stressful but yet entertaining
Pros
Free lunches and snacks
Cons
Tiring
Productive and nice working environment
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 August 2018
Productive and nice working environment. Friendly staffs, teachers and students. A lot of fun and nice activities are organized for staffs, teachers and students.
good
Nutrition Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 August 2018
kinda good overall, it is a good international highschool and it is a good middle school too, you can learn a lot and make many friends. you can go to a great university
Do not expect to get looked after
Activities Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 August 2018
The school is more like a business. The way the staff are treated by management is terrible, even if you have been at the school for a number of years. They will happily terminate your contract without warning just to make cut backs, and lie about the reasons of your termination. job security is very poor.
Pros
Good students
Cons
lack of care for staff
the job i did was a lot of fun
facilities operator technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 April 2018
had a great time working there,the owner was great to talk to.most of the of the time i sent there was working on the building making sure they ran right,when i say work on the building i mean heating,air conditioning units,air handling units.i had a lot of fun doing that.for the most part i had a great time there.
Pros
allway had time time to do my job an have fun
had a really good experience
FACILITY SERVICES STAFF (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 April 2018
Co-workers were pretty cooperative when it came to working together to achieve a certain goal. the pay was also very good. I got promoted which helped me gain more experience
fun but can be exhausted by the tense work schedule
Day Chaperone (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 March 2018
Overall a nice work experience.
Nice colleague, and work atmosphere.
The hardest part of this job is that you have to manage your own time and commute. Like I had one shift was 5 o'clock in the morning.
The campers age varies from primary school to high school. .
Pros
free trips, some kids are really cute
Cons
language barrier, heavy work schedule
A good place to build your skills, shouldn't stay too long.
Residence Life Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 March 2018
I've enjoyed my time working at Columbia International College and have gotten to know many students quite well. I've learned to take on more of a leadership role and help students with things like future plans, the understanding of rules and respect and transitioning into a country like Canada. Workplace culture is overall okay however management likes to micromanage things when it can become unnecessary. Overall an interesting place to be but it's better to move on at some point due to management/salary.
Pros
Good students, food provided.
Cons
Going between the building spread out around Hamilton
no comment
Accounting Specialist/Campus Store Rep (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 February 2018
It can be a great place to work. In general, it is great working with the students. It can be a nice environment to work at, alot of potential still.
Going through a transistion
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 January 2018
I’ve had the opportunity to witness a positive change in the Management and leadership for the better. The school seems to be retaining the people who care about the students and work hard to make things better and finally having a review of those who’ve slid through under the radar all these years. I’m one who is for the positive changes in our school and residences. There has been a big change to improve the experiences for both staff and the students experience.
Pros
Subsidized staff meals and friendly colleagues
Cons
I have to park and walk from another building to get to my classes
Fun place to work, nightmare management -beware
Activities Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 January 2018
Money hungry management do not care about staff in the least which is evident by the turnover rate. Lost 17 teachers in one semester. Front line staff are underpaid, undervalued and overworked. You will not get any feedback, reviews, raises or anything like a professional workplace would provide - so if you're okay with that, then you'll be okay here. The kids are the best part. They are the only part that makes working at the school/business even close to remotely worthwhile. School has enough money to hire media team to make elaborate promotional videos but can not afford to pay their staff a livable wage. Avoid, avoid, avoid.
Awesome workplace with amazing people
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 November 2017
I have been working with Columbia international college for over a year now and it is one of the best careers I have ever had the staff are all great people the supervisors are always there to help and actually stop to say good job which is rare these days and the upper management are fantastic group of people to work for and give you great support it's a very family like feel in the workplace the owners of the company are some of the most down to earth great people you will ever meet and if they do read these I would like to thank you for giving me a opportunity to work at Columbia international college. I have learnt so much in such a short time and made a lot of new friends. The company offers excellent training and overall will treat you great.
Pros
Good training, chef cooked meals, great people and amazing upper mangement
Cons
Only thing I can think of is no golf tournaments
Residence staff
Residence staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, Ontario30 October 2017
CIC is going through lots of changes. I really like it here and feel like the management is trying to fix it up.
I feel like I can go to my managers. The other comments on here are not from the people that I see everyday.
People are friendly, nice and seem to want to help you.
It is stable and I get lots of hours.
Pros
Nice people, option to move up
Cons
pay for sure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia International College. Our community is ready to answer.

Columbia International College Reviews by Location