Columbia International College Employee Reviews

had a really good experience
FACILITY SERVICES STAFF (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 April 2018
Co-workers were pretty cooperative when it came to working together to achieve a certain goal. the pay was also very good. I got promoted which helped me gain more experience
fun but can be exhausted by the tense work schedule
Day Chaperone (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 March 2018
Overall a nice work experience.
Nice colleague, and work atmosphere.
The hardest part of this job is that you have to manage your own time and commute. Like I had one shift was 5 o'clock in the morning.
The campers age varies from primary school to high school. .
Pros
free trips, some kids are really cute
Cons
language barrier, heavy work schedule
A good place to build your skills, shouldn't stay too long.
Residence Life Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 March 2018
I've enjoyed my time working at Columbia International College and have gotten to know many students quite well. I've learned to take on more of a leadership role and help students with things like future plans, the understanding of rules and respect and transitioning into a country like Canada. Workplace culture is overall okay however management likes to micromanage things when it can become unnecessary. Overall an interesting place to be but it's better to move on at some point due to management/salary.
Pros
Good students, food provided.
Cons
Going between the building spread out around Hamilton
no comment
Accounting Specialist/Campus Store Rep (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 February 2018
It can be a great place to work. In general, it is great working with the students. It can be a nice environment to work at, alot of potential still.
Going through a transistion
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 January 2018
I’ve had the opportunity to witness a positive change in the Management and leadership for the better. The school seems to be retaining the people who care about the students and work hard to make things better and finally having a review of those who’ve slid through under the radar all these years. I’m one who is for the positive changes in our school and residences. There has been a big change to improve the experiences for both staff and the students experience.
Pros
Subsidized staff meals and friendly colleagues
Cons
I have to park and walk from another building to get to my classes
Fun place to work, nightmare management -beware
Activities Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 January 2018
Money hungry management do not care about staff in the least which is evident by the turnover rate. Lost 17 teachers in one semester. Front line staff are underpaid, undervalued and overworked. You will not get any feedback, reviews, raises or anything like a professional workplace would provide - so if you're okay with that, then you'll be okay here. The kids are the best part. They are the only part that makes working at the school/business even close to remotely worthwhile. School has enough money to hire media team to make elaborate promotional videos but can not afford to pay their staff a livable wage. Avoid, avoid, avoid.
Awesome workplace with amazing people
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 November 2017
I have been working with Columbia international college for over a year now and it is one of the best careers I have ever had the staff are all great people the supervisors are always there to help and actually stop to say good job which is rare these days and the upper management are fantastic group of people to work for and give you great support it's a very family like feel in the workplace the owners of the company are some of the most down to earth great people you will ever meet and if they do read these I would like to thank you for giving me a opportunity to work at Columbia international college. I have learnt so much in such a short time and made a lot of new friends. The company offers excellent training and overall will treat you great.
Pros
Good training, chef cooked meals, great people and amazing upper mangement
Cons
Only thing I can think of is no golf tournaments
Residence staff
Residence staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, Ontario30 October 2017
CIC is going through lots of changes. I really like it here and feel like the management is trying to fix it up.
I feel like I can go to my managers. The other comments on here are not from the people that I see everyday.
People are friendly, nice and seem to want to help you.
It is stable and I get lots of hours.
Pros
Nice people, option to move up
Cons
pay for sure
Wasted potential
Houseparent (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 October 2017
This school is disrespectful to its staff and students. The management have little to no experience in how to work with children and newcomers to Canada. I'm ashamed to have worked for such a corrupt company, especially since the students themselves were fantastic! The residences are like prison, and the management will stop at nothing to try to control it (and you). I advise anyone to skip this job and watch an episode of Orange is the New Black instead. You will see for yourself what it was like here....
Pros
Amazing students
Cons
Horrific management and poor ethics
Great Place to Work!
Security (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 October 2017
I started off at Columbia in an entry level position. I have gained so much experience since working here and have grown so much in many different ways. Columbia has helped nurture me in my career and given me opportunities to grow within the Company. It is a great place to work and the Students are absolutely wonderful.
Pros
Amazing Students, Great Staff, Great Atmosphere
Terrible place to work - staff turnover is monumental
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 October 2017
This school makes a lot of promises when they hire you or recruit you but as soon as you start your employment with them they swiftly fall short. I have never in my life seen an organization treat their staff so disrespectfully.It is unusual for employees to last more than one year to 18 months in this workplace.
Pros
A paycheck until you can't take it anymore
Cons
Don't live up to contract promises, management treats staff very poorly
Made a mistake taking a job here
Residence staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 September 2017
I wanted nothing more then to be employed with Columbia. The students are amazing to work with but besides that I regret ending up here. Management does not like to communicate with staff. They ignore all your attempts. They pretend not to hear you or your concerns. DO not trust them when they promise you anything. Your wage will NOT increase and it is very very difficult to get any time off. They will under staff you and expect the same amount of work from you. Staff are very cliquey. The environment is not a healthy one to work in, bullying happens. I would not recommend employment with them. Management is the biggest downfall for them. They either ignore you or try bullying you into their perspectives. Do not work here
Pros
Students, free meal
Cons
everything else
good
Volunteer Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 August 2017
Good place to be if you are looking to start your career. I learnt so much while I was there and I met so many amazing people that have helped me make decisions for my future
Run and Run fast
ACTS Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 July 2017
I spent three years of my life here that I will never get back. This organization supports bullying by it's employees . Poor wages and leadership. The turnover rate is sad and pathetic.
Pros
The students I had the pleasure of working with.
The school sucks
assistant residence director (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 July 2017
Human Resources and Management are Incompetent. they hire young staff whom they can offer lower pay too. Good luck to anyone who took a job at this place, you will regret. Thank God I found something better with greater pay and better environment.
Pros
free lunches, students
Cons
management and human resources
Great workplace with international students
Residence Chaperone Summer Camp (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 July 2017
Working at Columbia International College was a great experience since you get to meet people from other countries and you can be part of their language learning experience.
great environment to learn and grow
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  1003 king street west18 June 2017
You get out what you put in to your career at Columbia. A respectful and clean environment to work and learn investigative techniques to forward your progress in the law enforcement industry.
Pros
health benifits after 3 months
office admin
Student Services Officer - Academic (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 April 2017
Not recommended as a full time job, as they are very likely to get rid of you 1 day before you would have become a full time employee. Sometimes students can be a little difficult to handle.
Pros
you can buy lunch at cafeteria
Cons
staff very cliquey
Unreasonable Employee Expectations
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 April 2017
Positives: Some great co-workers
Negatives:
Management- They don't care what the bottom feeder employees think. There is no valuing of input and/or opinions
Salary- It is said that wages are competitive, but it is way below comparable jobs
Workload & Security: You are expected to do a lot of work outside of your work day. Teachers are not given any time for administrative duties. There is no prep/administrative period... all of this must be done on your own time and if not done to the employer's satisfaction, there is fear of dismissal since you're a contract employee.
Pros
Some co-workers
Cons
Salary & workload
Diverse Workplace
Mentor and Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 March 2017
Although I didn't get paid for it, however, I do not regret it. I was able to multitask and it required working in a diverse environment. I enjoyed getting to interact with different people and learnt one or two things about various cultures.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
I had to be on my feet for most part, so it was tiring

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia International College. Our community is ready to answer.

Columbia International College Reviews by Location