College Pro

College Pro: 273 Employee Reviews

Canada273 reviews

paintingpainterpaintcollegefranchiseesummerfranchisehouse

Productive and fun workplace

Great job if you like moving around while working. Depending on your area driving could be a hassle. There are also opportunities to move up and tips are great

College Pro

A great place to work if you have drive and want to make a fair earning over the summer. Decent amount of movement so I'd recommend it for someone in alright shape.

Insights into College Pro

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Fun Workplace, Great people

The people I worked alongside were wonderful. They were supportive and kind and created a great work environment. I received help when needed and always felt appreciated.

Fun place to work, good for students

A good place to work. Get lots of exercise and fresh air. Learn a new skill that you will be able to use for the rest of your life. Start out making around 12$ per hour and once you get good at it you can make $20-25 per hour, based off of how the project is budgeted and how fast you are. People are generally friendly and have good attitudes.

Hard work. Good co workers. Horrible management and mean customers.

The job was pretty much what I expected. Cleaning windows and gutters for slightly above min wage. It was a dangerous job and we often were encouraged to ignore safety protocol. I worked a lot of hours (by choice) and made good money for a while. But out of nowhere our manager ran out of leads and we had no more work. Went from 50 hours a week to 8. But my coworkers were honestly amazing and I had a lot of fun working with them.

Pros

Nice coworkers

Cons

Hard work, dangerous

Often wasn't paid

20-30 people were working under a franchisee, who did not have enough money to pay us. Bad job, bad management who should not have been management, no training. Do not go near this business.

Horrid place to work as a student

Probably the worst job I’ve ever had. Bad management and HORRIBLE hours. This “full-time” job gave us ~4-5 hours a day. The “per commission” pay is a scheme designed to underpay hard labour, as the time budgets (assigned by the manager) are IMPOSSIBLE to meet and your heavily physical and stressful work is devalued to the minimum wage. The hours are bad, the job is bad, the pay is bad. We had 2 on site physical accidents in my (short) time working there and the manager laughed it off. Do not rely on this job to pay your rent and groceries. Work here at your own risk.

Pros

nothing

Cons

not enough hours, horrible management, horrible pay, dangerous work

Poor management, lack of equipment, summary of pay rarely seen, and vague contract and extent of work outline

Despite being marketed as minimum wage the job was actually paid based on estimated duration of jobs with "bonuses" awarded if the job was finished quicker then estimated. The door-to-door marketing aspect was paid at 10$/hour only coming up to minimum wage if you had gotten a lead for each hour worked, which doesn't sound terrible but keep in mind this is during off season as well. Summary of pay was seen 3 times, despite 4 months of work.Estimates would be undercut in order to secure sales (at the expense of workers), but would be scheduled as a building of the same size as the undercut price leading to scheduling conflicts. Broken equipment was replaced on 1 maybe 2 instances, leading to instances where only 1 crewmember could meaningfully work, which impeded our ability to complete work efficiently and on time. Was told to continue to use broken equipment, despite safety concerns. Travel would not be considered in estimates or scheduling, leading to days in which each jobs were in opposite ends of town without travel time accounted for in estimate. Worrying working at heights practices, and worrying teachings. Having come in with Working At Heights certification from outside of the company, co-workers who received company's working at heights training were not even aware of 6 foot height minimum for working at heights and 10 feet height for harnesses. Specific customer requests were often not included in scheduling leading where unfortunate but avoidable disappointments for customers.As season became less active, we were scheduled for days with >3 hours of work. Often -

Pros

The co-workers

Cons

vague contract, vague pay, poor scheduling, worrying safety, avoidable conflicts

Horrible work place

Not nice people and you’ll never actually talk to the boss it’s just a ladder of people making money off of you we’ll you do all the hard work not fun and they push you out of your convert zone

Pros

Cons

Lots of gas money bad wage lose of overall happiness

A great summer experience

My experience with College Pro was great. It is definitely the type of position that rewards you for hard work, and you do have to be willing to put in the work to reap the benefits. After 3 summers of working with College Pro, I learned so much more than I would've in a typical internship. It really helped me learn what I like and dislike, and how I work best.

Pros

flexibility, autonomy over hours, get out what you put in, awesome team culture

Cons

longer hours than typical summer jobs

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at College Pro?

happy

the work environment is really what you make it. sometimes you have a great team with you and other times you are alone; working on a project. enmrlanf\

Fun workplace but often disorganized and underpaid

I loved painting and working with my co-workers, but it was often frustrating because we were getting paid through piece work only. There is so much more to the job than just painting and prepping houses. There are crew moves and paint orders and client interactions that I don't feel I was fairly compensated for doing.

Pros

make your own hours

Slow paced laid back job

Work day would start at 8:00am, drive to the job site, work until job is finished, drive to the next job and finish that job and so on. I learned a great deal of marketing and making good client relationships. Management could have been better, more communication would have helped. The job itself was very easy, hardest part was being on a ladder 20feet up. Most enjoyable part was being in the sun all day.

Great experience, success is up to you

You're running your own business. So how profitable/successful you are is up to you. You'll learn a lot and College Pro will give you lots of tools and resources to succeed to the best of you abilities. It really is what you make of it though.

Pros

travel and activities

Enjoyable workplace

College Pro is a great way of getting started in painting/decorating, they include teaching on the job with feedback and encouragement to ensure that you satisfy customers.

Productive and fun work place

Fun learning experience, not a bad summer job for university students who enjoy physical labor and maybe thinking of running their own business. Lots of team bonding experiences and opportunities.

Stressful and Self Taught

Managers in charge didn't do a good job teaching and because of that you were ill prepared for almost all jobs. Other than the minimum wage it was hard to beat unfair quotes to get extra income.

Lesson in Entrepreneurship

I don’t think they are a company anymore. Hardest financial stress of my life. Not for the faint of heart. I’m just glad I made it out without hurting anyone.

Didn't work here long

Only worked this job for 3 weeks, but it paid well and was physically rewarding. My manager was not qualified to manage, but the pay was worth it. It seemed like a fairly informal job.

Work for what you get but very far from professional.

Typical day at work was really simple, just paint and paint fast. Felt really happy with how much I was getting paid because it was piece-wise rate. However the reason I would never come back or recommend this to a friend is because they hire just about anyone to be franchisees. My franchisee was very unprofessional when I asked him to hire another painter and only hired subcontractors. Whats the point of being college pro if all they hire is a bunch of middle aged men who don't know how to handle clients on their own? Where's the "college" in college pro? He didn't want to hire students because he got tired of training them, and after they all quit I was left out to dry until I eventually quit. I've been begging him for my T4 and STILL haven't recieved my taxes. They're overdue. Oh and getting paid on time (fridays) was a luxury... Half the time direct deposit didn't work and I had to bother him until I even got paid. So unprofessional. Would never ever come back again, and I highly advice others in making the same choice.

Physical labour outdoors

The average day consists of walking up to a house, advertising the companies services, then doing it all again. Although the process may get repetitive, there were rarely times where boredom was present.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at College Pro. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement