College Pro

College Pro Employee Reviews

the work environment is really what you make it. sometimes you have a great team with you and other times you are alone; working on a project. enmrlanf\
Probably the worst job I’ve ever had. Bad management and HORRIBLE hours. This “full-time” job gave us ~4-5 hours a day. The “per commission” pay is a scheme designed to underpay hard labour, as the time budgets (assigned by the manager) are IMPOSSIBLE to meet and your heavily physical and stressful work is devalued to the minimum wage. The hours are bad, the job is bad, the pay is bad. We had 2 on site physical accidents in my (short) time working there and the manager laughed it off. Do not rely on this job to pay your rent and groceries. Work here at your own risk.
Pros
nothing
Cons
not enough hours, horrible management, horrible pay, dangerous work
Despite being marketed as minimum wage the job was actually paid based on estimated duration of jobs with "bonuses" awarded if the job was finished quicker then estimated. The door-to-door marketing aspect was paid at 10$/hour only coming up to minimum wage if you had gotten a lead for each hour worked, which doesn't sound terrible but keep in mind this is during off season as well. Summary of pay was seen 3 times, despite 4 months of work.Estimates would be undercut in order to secure sales (at the expense of workers), but would be scheduled as a building of the same size as the undercut price leading to scheduling conflicts. Broken equipment was replaced on 1 maybe 2 instances, leading to instances where only 1 crewmember could meaningfully work, which impeded our ability to complete work efficiently and on time. Was told to continue to use broken equipment, despite safety concerns. Travel would not be considered in estimates or scheduling, leading to days in which each jobs were in opposite ends of town without travel time accounted for in estimate. Worrying working at heights practices, and worrying teachings. Having come in with Working At Heights certification from outside of the company, co-workers who received company's working at heights training were not even aware of 6 foot height minimum for working at heights and 10 feet height for harnesses. Specific customer requests were often not included in scheduling leading where unfortunate but avoidable disappointments for customers.As season became less active, we were scheduled for days with >3 hours of work. Often - more...
Pros
The co-workers
Cons
vague contract, vague pay, poor scheduling, worrying safety, avoidable conflicts
Not nice people and you’ll never actually talk to the boss it’s just a ladder of people making money off of you we’ll you do all the hard work not fun and they push you out of your convert zone
Pros
Cons
Lots of gas money bad wage lose of overall happiness
My experience with College Pro was great. It is definitely the type of position that rewards you for hard work, and you do have to be willing to put in the work to reap the benefits. After 3 summers of working with College Pro, I learned so much more than I would've in a typical internship. It really helped me learn what I like and dislike, and how I work best.
Pros
flexibility, autonomy over hours, get out what you put in, awesome team culture
Cons
longer hours than typical summer jobs
I loved painting and working with my co-workers, but it was often frustrating because we were getting paid through piece work only. There is so much more to the job than just painting and prepping houses. There are crew moves and paint orders and client interactions that I don't feel I was fairly compensated for doing.
Pros
make your own hours
Work day would start at 8:00am, drive to the job site, work until job is finished, drive to the next job and finish that job and so on. I learned a great deal of marketing and making good client relationships. Management could have been better, more communication would have helped. The job itself was very easy, hardest part was being on a ladder 20feet up. Most enjoyable part was being in the sun all day.
You're running your own business. So how profitable/successful you are is up to you. You'll learn a lot and College Pro will give you lots of tools and resources to succeed to the best of you abilities. It really is what you make of it though.
Pros
travel and activities
College Pro is a great way of getting started in painting/decorating, they include teaching on the job with feedback and encouragement to ensure that you satisfy customers.
Fun learning experience, not a bad summer job for university students who enjoy physical labor and maybe thinking of running their own business. Lots of team bonding experiences and opportunities.
Managers in charge didn't do a good job teaching and because of that you were ill prepared for almost all jobs. Other than the minimum wage it was hard to beat unfair quotes to get extra income.
I don’t think they are a company anymore. Hardest financial stress of my life. Not for the faint of heart. I’m just glad I made it out without hurting anyone.
Only worked this job for 3 weeks, but it paid well and was physically rewarding. My manager was not qualified to manage, but the pay was worth it. It seemed like a fairly informal job.
Typical day at work was really simple, just paint and paint fast. Felt really happy with how much I was getting paid because it was piece-wise rate. However the reason I would never come back or recommend this to a friend is because they hire just about anyone to be franchisees. My franchisee was very unprofessional when I asked him to hire another painter and only hired subcontractors. Whats the point of being college pro if all they hire is a bunch of middle aged men who don't know how to handle clients on their own? Where's the "college" in college pro? He didn't want to hire students because he got tired of training them, and after they all quit I was left out to dry until I eventually quit. I've been begging him for my T4 and STILL haven't recieved my taxes. They're overdue. Oh and getting paid on time (fridays) was a luxury... Half the time direct deposit didn't work and I had to bother him until I even got paid. So unprofessional. Would never ever come back again, and I highly advice others in making the same choice.
The average day consists of walking up to a house, advertising the companies services, then doing it all again. Although the process may get repetitive, there were rarely times where boredom was present.
In a working day at college pro, we produce a lot and quickly. We also had a lot of fun with the work team. They are planned and organized. You learn to paint exterior and interior. And each day is in a different place in the city. It is a very fun and dynamic job.
Ended up having to pay an addition $12,000 in taxes because of their poor mentoring regarding all the tax laws about being a small business. For a kid in university, this was an awful experience and now I'm screwed with the government too. Thanks for making my first time owning a business the worst experience of my life. You take royalty fees but don't actually help your managers. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS GARBAGE COMPANY.
Was part of a good crew, always ended up finishing jobs early and worked constantly. My boss treated us right and with respect and rewarded us for our hard work which was good. Great job for a high school student or a university student looking to pick up part time work.
It is a great summer job where you will make friends, learn a trade, and make money at an autonomous rate. You will work as part of a team, and how much you get paid is based on how hard you are willing to work.
This job was a mess right from the get-go. Very unorganized, and not worth minimum wage for the work that was being done. Can be dangerous too, as I almost fell off a ladder at a high distance. Would not recommend.
worked here in the summer time, it was okay I just hated going door to door every morning at 8am and asking people if they wanted to get their windows cleaned
  1. Employee reviews