Collega International Employee Reviews

Very low pay and toxic environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 April 2019
The pay is pretty low and you could bend over backwards and work like crazy and they’ll refuse to give a livable raise. In terms of work environment, you’ll be pretty insignificant unless you’re a favourite amongst the managers. My personal experience was that there was very little team work demonstrated, too low of a pay for the amount of work I did, hostile attitudes from certain coworkers, and very unprofessional management that lacked proper management skills.
Pros
Cash tips and good discount on products and services
Cons
Lack of professionalism with management, no work life balance, terrible pay, lack of team work, toxic work environment
Unappreciative Manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC10 March 2019
I worked at this job for a few months and would not recommend it. The manager we had was unappreciative of the effort we put in to sell when we had a very minimal amount of customer traffic at the store. The team was great, but the manager would often gossip about us to other employees, often call and discourage us and was not at all supportive of the efforts we put in. If you want to work your butt off and be under appreciated and deal with passive aggressive comments then this is the job for you.
Pros
50% off products
Cons
Management team, passive aggressive comments from manager
Worst Job I’ve Ever Had
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 February 2019
The persistent pattern of emotional and mental abuse at this location is overwhelming. Not only to staff but to students as well. The director is mentally unstable and Needs to be let go.

The problems do not end in location. Their is corruption all the way up to head office. Their is no one to talk to if you are mistreated in any way.

Do not go to this school. And do not work here.
Cons
Low pay, constant emotional and verbal abuse
Work hard, get unappreciated
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 January 2019
It is a great company with amazing morals and products. Guests are kind and you will always have a couple of unhappy guests. No matter how hard you work, or how long you are loyal to the company.. You do not move up in positions. You will feel unappreciated and under paid.
Pros
Full Time hours
Cons
No advancement
Expensive School, Unstable Management
Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 December 2018
You will spend atleast $15 000 or more to attend the academy and learn the basic "aveda way"
If you want to find a job that is not with aveda ; you will have to relearn everything you've been taught including color lines.
They will lie to you to get you to enroll.
Management is very strict, and they only want you to sell product if you work or go to school here.
Aveda is nothing more than a cult that sucks your individuality out of you.
Aveda is slavery.
Only way to climb up the ladder is by kissing rear end and selling yourself short.
very unstable work environment
You basically work for free if you go to school here
No parking downtown
Pros
Aveda products/ cruelty free
Cons
Wearing the same clothes everyday
Sales and customer care for natural beauty salon
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2018
Working for a natural and ecological Salon and product line. Offered customer care for appointment bookings and information on product line. Restocked product line and did inventory. Wonderful company to work for.
Productive work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2018
It was a fun and productive work space. Helping clients coordinate their spa services and helping them time manage. I learned that there are alot of different clients that enjoy the same spa services.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
early mornings
Negative Environment
Educator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 December 2017
This company does not put their employees or students first. They make promises they do not keep. The faculty is over-worked and underpaid. You will work overtime and not be paid appropriately for it. The most enjoyable part of the job is the students, however the way they are treated is unethical. They are taught the Collega way of cutting/coloring and selling product and are not properly equipped once they complete the program. They do not offer a well rounded education and look for ways to cut costs as well as, charge students more after tuition dues are met. I would not recommend this school for employment or education.
Work life balance and fun place to work at
Full Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 November 2017
I love Aveda and the people in the EC location.
My manager was the best. She always treated us like her family. Very understanding and completely believes in work life balance. Aveda products are a bonus.
Pros
Flexible hours, great management, great environment, team work
Cons
Not enough opportunities
Fun atmosphere and great tips
Aesthetician/spa therapist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2017
Civello uses Aveda hair and skin care products which I absolutely love. As an employee you get 50% discount which I loved. Fun and exciting atmosphere. Always meeting new people. Worked with many skilled hairdressers and aestheticians.
Pros
50 % discount on products
fantastic coporate culture
Guest Services Representative/ Makeup Artist Aveda (Current Employee) –  North York, ON7 March 2017
I have been with Collega Aveda for nearly a year. I have worked/currently work in guest services, Frontline and mkp at various Civello locations and most recently, as "resident artist" at Aveda Experience Centers. The environment is highly creative, there's always something going on. For anyone even remotely interested in the world of hair and beauty, this is a great "tribe" to be part of. There are few (if any!) companies in this industry that offer, in my opinion, so many opportunities to explore various roles. I saw some negative reviews posted above but my experience has been overwhelmingly positive - I have been encouraged to explore my talents & interests and have found management to be encouraging and supportive.
Pros
perks galore! lots of Aveda products, corporate fundraising events, discounted (occasionally free!) hair and spa services, opportunity to explore different roles
This company is shady and beware before you jump on board
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
I was hired on with promises galore, taken in with all of there talk about Aveda culture and balance. HOWEVER that all changed when I saw the owners nephews (one in particular, the one that runs all Civello locations) and HR sit around basically daily referring to staff as "s&*t heads" and planning one by one who they would be firing and when and how to possibly drive them out. I should have realized then I would not be exempt from this kind of treatment. They use people, they are defenitly biased as in if you don't get along with a "favorite" of theirs you are out.
Pros
The beginning is great (when they get you comfortable and make it seem like a dream job)
Cons
Favourtisim, no job security, no support, no coaching, fire without reason or grounds
Busy, fast paced environment that keeps you on your toes!
Front Desk Representative / Aveda Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2017
This salon and spa is pretty huge, and requires some major organization and focus on your part. If you like a frequent fast pace environment (I did- it makes the day fly by), then this is a great job.

They have a call centre answering calls, so as a front desk rep, you're able to focus on the customer and achieving any sales goals.

If you aren't good at problem solving or dealing with client concerns, then this isn't a great job for you- sometimes you are required to deal with some conflict and solutions to resolve this.

Most of the management will recognize when you are putting the effort in, and offer praise and even some new opportunities when deserving.

The only downside to this job is the fact that the team is so big, that at times it doesn't feel like you are all on the same side. To deal with it, continue to have a positive attitude!
Amazing culture
Sales manager (Current Employee) –  Canada5 July 2016
Great company with great company values.
Entrepreneurial leadership in a large company that cares about the growth and success of its employees
Pros
Culture passion leadership
great building block
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 June 2016
a great place to work for a smaller company. lots of opportunity for movement, but be prepared to do more than just your job.
Tense work evironment
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  210 Lesmill Rd6 July 2015
Fun work place, nice people to work with. The leaders of this company however try to get as much as they can from their employees. Employees are given tasks they are unable to complete. This gets very stressful. There is no opportunity for growth.
Pros
Decent environment
Cons
Underpaid, Works you to the bone, favoritism, bad management
A great job
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2014
A typical day at work would be sitting at my desk and answering all my emails or traveling between the different locations making sure everything was 100%. Everyday was a new challenge, i would have receive emails daily from a different location with a problem that needed to be solved by me or a contractor. The most enjoyable part of working at this company was the work environment and how they treated every employee like it was one big family.
Pros
work environment, hours, travel time
great place to work
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 August 2014
great company to grow with. learned a lot during my tenure there.
Great Hair Salon
Salon Associate (Current Employee) –  Yonge & Eglinton18 November 2013
the salon is very busy environment on a daily basis. by working with industry greats, everyday I learn something new. education is very important to the company. the management team is great, always looking for ways to improve the business and its employees. there is constant encouragement to do well and be better. the hours and days are long which tend to cut into personal time.
Pros
working with such talented people
Cons
long work days
education
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2013
Working with Civello gave me an opportunity to live in canada
also had family own business, high standards for customer service, education and salon business knowledge. Aveda salon
Pros
opportunity to grow