Collega International

Collega International Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
It was ok, hard work for little pay off. Sad to say, but it's not the best work environment unless they like you. The actual pay was a joke, wishing I had better things to say but I just don't.
Pros
Education
Cons
Pay, benefits, management
As per the summary, the environment at Collega has become very uncertain and uncomfortable. Many long-term senior executives have abruptly left the organization without explanation, corporate communication is scarce and very few answers available.
Aveda is such a wonderful store to work at , the team is amazing they make you feel right at home . the management team is very supportive, lovable , and very understanding , one of the best jobs i've had by far. I would recommend this job for anyone looking to work part-time or full-time you will love it , its 100% worth it .
Pros
management, work place
I echo all the bad reviews below me. This place is TOXIC. Lots of racism and sexist attitudes. Management is aware of all this and does nothing.
Drama between co-workers. Staff talking behind others backs and ganging up. Hardly what you'd expect after reading this companies mission statement. Frontline turned over at least 4-5 times in the time I was there. This was the worst job I've ever had.
To anyone looking for a job wether its part time or full time, i wouldnt apply here. There are multiple reasons why i would not wish this job even to my worst enemy.
First of all, they have hired a new manager in the last few months and unfortunately us as sales associates have found ourselves training them from time to time. They hired them without having any prior experience with the company.

Second of all, you will get used at this job. They will talk you into taking more shifts even if you are a part timer, they will sweet talk their way into being your *friend* and then dump a whole load on you.

Third of all, even though it seems like a nice quiet environment to work at, you will be receiving calls and texts during your shift from your manager telling you not to stand by the cash or calls to give you orders on what to do. They will look at the cameras and call you the second they see something they dont like.

Last but not least, you will get mistreated regardless of how many sales you make or how many customers you bring in. Not to mention when you need a sick day or a day off they most likely wont give it to you and it will keep going until the day you finally quit.

So please, before applying to this job, do yourself a favor and just dont, its not worth the headaches and the mental and emotional abuse that this place does to you. Its not worth it at all.
Pros
50% off products
Cons
abusvie, negative environment
Everyone is miserable. Frontline, stylists...it's not a good job. The amount of people that have walked out is astounding, even for retail. Frontline is everyone's punching bag, we get yelled or screamed at by stylists, crazy people and guests. For minimum wage, this isn't worth it. The amount of times we go home crying and stressed is too much. Something is also wrong with the products as I have heard a number of different people complain that it's giving them allergic reactions and rashes.

Please overhaul the system and product line and look at what makes other places successful, like sephora.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
homeless people, screaming people, low pay for what you put in
You'll be swayed by the "Aveda culture" but after working there for sometime, you'll realize the culture has in fact died. Everything's all over the place, insufficient training, and people are promoted based in favoritism not on skill. They refuse to give a livable wage and either don't care or are ignorant when it comes down to their employees unhappiness. The turnover rate at the location I worked at was insane and now I know why.

I promise there's better retail jobs, you'll feel like you're drowning every day here and given absolutely NO support from management or the higher ups. Make a mistake and you'll get blasted, do something amazing and there's no recognition.

The products are amazing though, I'll give them that.
Pros
50% off items, coworkers were nice
Cons
Management, unorganized, little pay
I would not recommend this job, even if it's a part-time stepping stone type thing you are looking into. Here is why:

The hiring process takes a minimum of 4 weeks. You will get back and forth answers about when your starting date will be, who to report too, what is going on during that period etc. That is a red flag. Next comes the fact you will be told and scheduled to be trained, though will learn upon your first day that no one, in fact has been trained. Including the Team Lead & Management. Our Team Lead had put in their notice and walked out of the job during my training process so that says a lot about the current environment. Then, you will have the knowledge that the entire Frontline team prior to your current one, has turned over TWICE in the span of 6 months. And almost all people in upper Management as well. The system used for booking, check in & out and inventory is a complete nightmare that crashes everyday or decides not to work at least twice a month; ensuing chaos in loss of appointments, not being able to properly check out guests and retail items. The store still manually operates on top of this without providing proper receipts. IT and Management do nothing to help or rectify this as it's a consistent problem. The location I worked at had no Manager/ Team Lead, and no plans of even hiring someone to fill this position. We had no support or guidance for our team, expected to fulfill managerial duties without sufficient pay or training; and were played upon one another with gossip about each others performance from upper Management. Workplace safety was
 - more...
Pros
50% off product, Paid product knowledge 2 day course, Flexible with request days off, Overall good co-workers & team
Cons
Poor pay, Poor management, High turnover, Little to no sufficient training, Zero support from Head Office, Gossip, Products are not all organic
Management sets a tone of toxicity. These people are unhappy and underpaid. If the salon needs a fix , they take forever (years) to fix cause there is never any money cause the stylists are not getting booked enough and there is plainly no growth/prosperity . Management that’s been there for more than 10years , is uneducated person who needs hr training (at least a degree) to deal with employees. The turn over is high cause of low pay and dealing with this one management person who teaches their “subordinates “ to be mini them .
Pros
Benefits, maybe schedule
Cons
Management, no growth, toxic environment
Management is awful, there is only advancement if you stay with the company 10+ years a lot prejudice too and seriously inappropriate behaviours i would stay away.
Best part of working here is by far the people. Team members are friendly and overall the team vibe really good. Product discounts on all products and on new launches lets you try the product. There are also incentive programs that can be tough but if you hit them its nice to have the bonus.
Pros
Incentive programs, product discounts
The pay is pretty low and you could bend over backwards and work like crazy and they’ll refuse to give a livable raise. In terms of work environment, you’ll be pretty insignificant unless you’re a favourite amongst the managers. My personal experience was that there was very little team work demonstrated, too low of a pay for the amount of work I did, hostile attitudes from certain coworkers, and very unprofessional management that lacked proper management skills.
Pros
Cash tips and good discount on products and services
Cons
Lack of professionalism with management, no work life balance, terrible pay, lack of team work, toxic work environment
I worked at this job for a few months and would not recommend it. The manager we had was unappreciative of the effort we put in to sell when we had a very minimal amount of customer traffic at the store. The team was great, but the manager would often gossip about us to other employees, often call and discourage us and was not at all supportive of the efforts we put in. If you want to work your butt off and be under appreciated and deal with passive aggressive comments then this is the job for you.
Pros
50% off products
Cons
Management team, passive aggressive comments from manager
The persistent pattern of emotional and mental abuse at this location is overwhelming. Not only to staff but to students as well. The director is mentally unstable and Needs to be let go.

The problems do not end in location. Their is corruption all the way up to head office. Their is no one to talk to if you are mistreated in any way.

Do not go to this school. And do not work here.
Cons
Low pay, constant emotional and verbal abuse
It is a great company with amazing morals and products. Guests are kind and you will always have a couple of unhappy guests. No matter how hard you work, or how long you are loyal to the company.. You do not move up in positions. You will feel unappreciated and under paid.
Pros
Full Time hours
Cons
No advancement
You will spend atleast $15 000 or more to attend the academy and learn the basic "aveda way"
If you want to find a job that is not with aveda ; you will have to relearn everything you've been taught including color lines.

They will lie to you to get you to enroll.

Management is very strict, and they only want you to sell product if you work or go to school here.

Aveda is nothing more than a cult that sucks your individuality out of you.

Aveda is slavery.

Only way to climb up the ladder is by kissing rear end and selling yourself short.

very unstable work environment

You basically work for free if you go to school here

No parking downtown
Pros
Aveda products/ cruelty free
Cons
Wearing the same clothes everyday
Working for a natural and ecological Salon and product line. Offered customer care for appointment bookings and information on product line. Restocked product line and did inventory. Wonderful company to work for.
This company does not put their employees or students first. They make promises they do not keep. The faculty is over-worked and underpaid. You will work overtime and not be paid appropriately for it. The most enjoyable part of the job is the students, however the way they are treated is unethical. They are taught the Collega way of cutting/coloring and selling product and are not properly equipped once they complete the program. They do not offer a well rounded education and look for ways to cut costs as well as, charge students more after tuition dues are met. I would not recommend this school for employment or education.
I love Aveda and the people in the EC location.
My manager was the best. She always treated us like her family. Very understanding and completely believes in work life balance. Aveda products are a bonus.
Pros
Flexible hours, great management, great environment, team work
Cons
Not enough opportunities
Civello uses Aveda hair and skin care products which I absolutely love. As an employee you get 50% discount which I loved. Fun and exciting atmosphere. Always meeting new people. Worked with many skilled hairdressers and aestheticians.
Pros
50 % discount on products
Cons
I have been with Collega Aveda for nearly a year. I have worked/currently work in guest services, Frontline and mkp at various Civello locations and most recently, as "resident artist" at Aveda Experience Centers. The environment is highly creative, there's always something going on. For anyone even remotely interested in the world of hair and beauty, this is a great "tribe" to be part of. There are few (if any!) companies in this industry that offer, in my opinion, so many opportunities to explore various roles. I saw some negative reviews posted above but my experience has been overwhelmingly positive - I have been encouraged to explore my talents & interests and have found management to be encouraging and supportive.
Pros
perks galore! lots of Aveda products, corporate fundraising events, discounted (occasionally free!) hair and spa services, opportunity to explore different roles
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Collega International. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8